Chocolate Chili Chai

Black Chai Blend
Aleppo Chili, Ancho Chili, Black Tea, Chocolate, Lily Petals, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Red Peppercorns
Chocolate, Peppercorn, Red Fruits, Spices, Cream
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by ashleeeyyy88

• “It’s only November and I’m already getting antsy for spring. The days seem so gray and dreary, and the nights are already so dark and cold. On the bright side, at least this cold weather is a...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 349 tasting notes
  • “This smells AWESOME!!!!! Like if you were in a kitchen with Chocolate Cheesecake and peppers! That's the aroma I am getting BUT it's certainly MORE Chocolate than chili and I am VERY happy...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Having a cup of this while in switchboard today. Unfortunately, today it isn't quite what I wanted. The chocolate is still rich and bold, but I am not in the mood for that. I think I'm really in...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 695 tasting notes
  • “I totally meant to go to DavidsTea for Pom Power but before I made it out, I'd spent $20 and walked out with 7 other teas. I am so bad when it comes to deals. The moral of this: GUYS! IF YOU...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1698 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Hot, hot, hot

Is winter giving you the shivers? Try this fiery southwest chai. A blend of black tea, chocolate and ancho and Aleppo chilis, it gives new meaning to the term “hot chocolate.” With its sweet, rich chocolate flavour and feisty finish, this bold blend is perfect base for the ultimate latte with a little frothed or steamed milk. If you really want to feel the heat, add a splash of cinnamon whisky. Arriba!

Ingredients: Black tea, chocolate bits, red peppercorns, lily petals, aleppo chili, ancho chili, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Hmmm, liked this more this time than last. It still needs more something but it goes good with my muffins. Tomorrow I’m baking cinnamon rolls, wonder what tea to choose? ;)

Cavocorax

Hehe. I spend a lot of time wondering what tea I’ll have next. <3

Ozli

It’s part of dayplanning, amirite? ;D

Black tea, chocolate and chilis? It’s all of my favorite things! This one smells really yummy, and it’s one of my favorites so far.

Really, I’d like it even more if there was more of a kick to it. I guess I like it when chai teas give me a good swift kick in the bum, and this one isn’t quite there. But I like it, just the same. Nomnomnom.

I had this today with steamed milk, and the milk really smooths out the flavours.
Yummy good way to start the day!

Nickie

I have a sample of this one I’m going to try — definitely going to use my Capresso Froth Pro to steam the milk first. I think it will be good. :)

I got this from MirandaGou in our recent swap: thank you! Chocolate sounds good today for some reason, and my feet are cold, so I went for this first. It smells very chocolatey. There is some spice to the scent but it’s mostly chocolate.

The chocolate taste is excellent (probably because I got about ten mini chocolate chips in this teaspoon!). It’s definitely a dark chocolate flavor, and it also has a creamy mouthfeel that just makes it better. I was a little afraid of this one because of the chilis, but I’m only getting the slightest tingle from it. The spices give the chocolate a great flavor, too. Right now I actually want the chili flavor, so maybe next time I should overleaf? Still really good and I’m glad to have it in my cabinet now.

ETA: As I get through the cup there’s more of an afterburn, but it’s not too much for me. This is coming from someone who can’t handle “medium” salsa, so I think most people would find the chili heat just right (unless you like really spicy things!).

So my neighbour (who is fabulous and I am so lucky to have bought a house next to people that rock!) was having a rough morning and messaged me. Sometimes because we work odd schedules, they mesh up. She needed to vent. I immediately put on a pot of this, as I figured chocolate gives you endorphins and makes you feel better. I think I might have under-leafed it a bit. I made a litre of it.

At first sniff: This smells decadent. Rich, spicy, chocolate-y and delicious. I could sniff this tea all day long. My boyfriend knows when I make this one which a coined response of “Is that the chocochili tea?”

At first steep: I only usually make 2 cups of this, and am pretty generous with the scoops, so I think I made this a bit weak, it was still good but the flavours were more muted. It brews up a nice brown. Now, I really think DavidsTea should take out the “Chai” in this tea’s name. It is not a chai tea. It is still delicious though. We had ours with half and half and some sugar in pretty Denby tea cups, and she vented. We all felt better afterwards. This tea use to be one of my favourites, I wouldn’t say it’s that status any longer, but it’s still up there. I would definitely still restock it.

I was apprehensive about trying this tea out, because spicy stuff doesn’t always agree with me. However, I needn’t worry, the spice is so light in the tea that I can barely taste it. Which…amusingly enough, I can’t help but feel disapointed about. Cackles The taste reminds me alot of Cookie Dough white tea from DT. Though if I had to choose which one I like more…I’d pick Cookie Dough. I am thinking next time I’ll add just a little spice to see how it handles it.

I want it to be winter! Where is all the snow?! At least I can drink the winter collection and pretend…
This one is a bit weak but good. I can taste the chili coming through and there is a nice tiny bit of bite from that. The chocolate is definitely there! But I’m not really getting chai from this. The flavour is a bit weak as I think others have said, but I like it, if only for the bite from the chili. I’ll be trying this again, with more tea per cup!

Tina S.

I love the chocolate in this one. It makes me smile every time!

Mélissa

Just like Lindt’s chili dark chocolate.

Erin

Yeah, the chocolate is awesome, it reminds me of Read My Lips in that way!

Bonnie

I agree…tried this and did not get the chili either. I put chili in a tea ball and dip it in…now that’s how to do it up!

I’d consider this average.
I can barely taste any spiciness and the chocolate is barely there. I used 3tsp (normal ones not any specialty “perfect” tsp) to 16 fl.oz from a sample I got from Ellyn. Thank you for this bonus! The dry stuff smells intoxicating that I only wished carried over to the steeped tea.
It kinda tastes watery. Eating a chocolate cookie that a coworker brought in though brought up the yummy factor. I would suspect it was the sugar in the cookie that brought out the other flavors in the tea.

AFter letting it sit awhile (while I was away working) I now can taste the hit of spiciness from the peppers…and it’s been a few hours since my last sip. If I ever purchase this in the future I’ll have to play aruond with the ratio of tea to water…because man this is weak!

To be honest, this tea is really mild on the chocolate and the chili. I’m not a big fan of chocolate teas, so I appreciate a milder chocolate flavor. It’s actually quite smooth and enjoyable. I just wish that there was more heat from the chiles. If I get the chance to sample this tea again, I might add a few red pepper flakes for more of a kick.

I had some work to do this afternoon, so I needed a little kick to get me going. This is mellow, but has a bit of bite, and it’s perfect for today. I’m not overly excited about this tea, but it’s definitely tasty. Now, I’m waiting for the people I have to interview to call me back, watching The Office, and wishing I had the energy to get ready for a concert I have to go to tonight.

I wonder if this one will be any good re-steeped.