Chocolate Chili Chai

Black Chai Blend
Aleppo Chili, Ancho Chili, Black Tea, Chocolate, Lily Petals, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Red Peppercorns
Chocolate, Peppercorn, Red Fruits, Spices, Cream
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by ashleeeyyy88

• “It’s only November and I’m already getting antsy for spring. The days seem so gray and dreary, and the nights are already so dark and cold. On the bright side, at least this cold weather is a...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 349 tasting notes
  • “This smells AWESOME!!!!! Like if you were in a kitchen with Chocolate Cheesecake and peppers! That's the aroma I am getting BUT it's certainly MORE Chocolate than chili and I am VERY happy...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Having a cup of this while in switchboard today. Unfortunately, today it isn't quite what I wanted. The chocolate is still rich and bold, but I am not in the mood for that. I think I'm really in...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 694 tasting notes
  • “I totally meant to go to DavidsTea for Pom Power but before I made it out, I'd spent $20 and walked out with 7 other teas. I am so bad when it comes to deals. The moral of this: GUYS! IF YOU...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1694 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Hot, hot, hot

Is winter giving you the shivers? Try this fiery southwest chai. A blend of black tea, chocolate and ancho and Aleppo chilis, it gives new meaning to the term “hot chocolate.” With its sweet, rich chocolate flavour and feisty finish, this bold blend is perfect base for the ultimate latte with a little frothed or steamed milk. If you really want to feel the heat, add a splash of cinnamon whisky. Arriba!

Ingredients: Black tea, chocolate bits, red peppercorns, lily petals, aleppo chili, ancho chili, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Backlogged from this morning.

This is from a tiny sample packet I received with my actual order.
This one smells amazing, it smells like a rich hot chocolate! However I was disappointed with the taste, it seemed very weak. Perhaps I messed it up, but I followed the instructions: 1.5 t per 8 oz at 208F. It said to steep it 5-7 minutes and 7 minutes seems a tad long for any tea, so I went with 5 minutes, next time I’ll steep it 7 minutes. It was so weak that I tried adding sugar and milk to it, but it didn’t really help. I have really high hopes for this one though and hope to make it better next time.

Bonnie

My experience or taste with DT is a little more tea and the full length of time works best. What the What do others think?

Invader Zim

I brewed up the rest of it with less water (about 4 ounces instead of 8) and 7 minutes, it still seemed kind of weak. I may buy some next time I order from them and play around with it, the smell won’t let me not buy more in the future!

Drunk From Tea

omg i want to try this one so bad…. i wonder if my local DT still has it in stock

I was in the mood for a chocolate tea. I knew what I wanted… and couldn’t find it. Then I remembered that I had a little sample of this one lying around, remembered the times I had shared with my canister full of it, and decided why not, let’s go for it.

I’m having it clear, which is unusual for me and anything labeled as chai, though in this case it seems like a good choice. The chocolate flavour is pleasant, not as strong as in some teas or beverages I could name, but the primary note nonetheless, and is partnered with a richness from the chili and tea. Although not spicy hot, there is a sensation that hits your mouth in a wave, letting you know that the chills are definitely there. I quite enjoy it.

Lilysmom

Now I am kind of craving this but not sure if I have any in my cupboard – probably in there somewhere!

C-chan

I don’t blame you! The urge for this one comes and goes. (As it does with most chocolate teas, in my experience.) I hope you find it and enjoy. <3

All right, then.
I accidentally tried Cocomama Lime naked this afternoon and enjoyed it SO MUCH MORE than when I had it with honey in it.
Is this the trick? Not to put anything in your teas to get the full enjoyment out of it?
Silly me. Let’s hope so.
Unfortunately, my little girl decided that she was not having a nap this afternoon, so not only did I not get to submit a tasting note for my Cocomama Lime experience, I also did not get to drink more than a couple sips before it was time to colour and rock out to the Galaxy Party music station and play in puddles.
All things equal, I’d rather play than drink tea.
But this tea is going to be enjoyed.
Now, it SMELLS great of course, but I have serious, serious sense memory, so I could just be imagining the taste with milk and sugar. I disappointingly don’t see the usual skiff of chocolate-based oil on the top of my cup of tea either, but whatever. I’m not here to be visually entertained, I’m here to have my tastebuds knocked out of my mouth.
I have the feeling that going milk-free will really bring out the spiciness.
And it does.
It’s almost like it just keeps being hot in parts of my mouth after the rest of it has cooled down from the heat of my tea. It’s really interesting. Like putting your hand on that machine that alternates hot and cold coils that they have at science museums. I like it!
Okay, after letting it sit for a little bit, I’m happier with it. My initial reaction was, “It isn’t sweet AT ALL!” followed by a sad-face. But once the heat of the chili wears off, it’s plenty chocolatey and plenty sweet.
I’m pretty sure I need to GET OVER my sugar addiction…
The only real disappointing thing about this tea is its body. It’s akin to water, and I like a little more substance to my teas. But seriously? I can get over that.

I didn’t expect this tea to taste so “heavy.” The chocolate really weighs it down. I can best describe this as being a comfort drink, and not something meant to refresh you.

Snacking on some blueberries made this taste a lot better. If you’re serving this drink to others, supplying some sweet fruit would be a welcome addition.

Not sure if I am going to drink a lot of this during December. I’m around so much sweets and junk food as it is. Also, I am not a big fan of chocolate so I didn’t enjoy this as much as others might. For me, this is a special occasion tea. Tasty, but not something I can drink more than once a week.

After trying a couple chocolate flavoured teas and being disappointed, I was scared of trying this one and not like it. I had read many reviews about this tea and people seemed to whether like it alot or not at all so I couldn’t know if I would like it or not until I tried it.

I went to DT yesterday and smelled the dry leaves and I was surprised to notice the great dark chocolate smell instead of milk chocolate that you normally get for flavoured chocolate teas. I didn’t notice the chilis though. I ordered a tea to go and the smell of the hot beverage was very pleasant. And now what to say about the taste? A first sip and….Heaven! I finally found a chocolate flavoured tea that I like! I think that the fact that the notes are more like dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate is what I like the most. And the chilis and peppers are barely noticable so it blends well and gives this tea a super great flavor!

After getting home I made a second steep with the tea bag and the flavors were still really great. I will definitely get this tea for my cupboard.

MooKiwi

This is a great tea! I find it can be really hit or miss with chocolate teas and I also find the ones with dark chocolate tend to be better!

Love this one. I wish the chocolate and the chili flavors were just a LITTLE more bold, but I love the kick this tea has! I maybe should have steeped longer.

So I just brewed myself a cup of this for the first time and my whole room smells like chocolate now. Its weird though cause it’s not the same as when someone is making chocolate or baking, its like that artificial chocolate scent you find in cosmetics and what-not. So I’m hoping the tea doesn’t taste like this.
I’ve tried chocolate teas from DavidsTea before (read my lips and love tea #7) and I wasn’t that crazy about them. I decided then I just wasn’t a fan of chocolate teas. However, this tea came with my winter collection package, and I’ve finally taken the jump to try it out.

For taste, the tea is really a let down. All I can taste is the chocolate, and its very artificial tasting. I actually prefer read my lips or love tea #7 because I could taste mint or strawberry in those ones, but in this tea all it is is the chocolate. The spiciness of the peppers comes out as a slight sensation in the throat or on the tongue, but no where in flavour.
I’ll most likely be giving this tea away.

Maxime-Daniel Friðrikson

I was expecting to trying this tea when i’ve went to DT at Saint-Bruno. By luck I won’t because if it just taste like chocolate it would be a big deception for me and my buds. Thanks for the useful review!

noordelijk

I think this tea was exclusive to the winter collection which you had to buy as a set, and not available to try out of the large tins in store. I guess that’s a good thing it was seasonal, since it wasn’t that great. But I’m glad I gave you the heads up.

I burned through this one so fast I was sad to see the last little bit go. And even sadder to find that there is no more in Victoria… At this time! Of all the chai that DAVIDs sells this one ia my favourite, well second to cinnamon rooibos chai.

I don’t really consider this a chai. It technically is a spiced tea, but it’s missing the usual spices you see in a chai, and therefore doesn’t have that distinctive chai flavour. Also, this tea does not use an india black base but a chinese black. So in my mind it’s not actually a chai, but maybe I’m being too narrow minded.

Ignoring the naming, I’ll get on to the tea itself. It tastes mostly of chocolate and tea, with a bit of warmth from the spice. Good, despite being kind of a novelty. I don’t think I’d drink this tea all the time, but it’s very nice on a cold day.

mirthmatter

Techinally speaking, it’s a chai. :p Chai just means “tea” in a whack of languages (except in Hebrew – chai means “living”. And Kashmiri chai is traditionally made with a green base…

But now I’ll stop being a jerk and agree that if I didn’t know the ingredients or name of the tea and had some, I would not go “OH GOODNESS THIS IS A CHAI ISN’T IT?”

Mir

I know chai means tea, I just figured it was just easier to go with chai and not masala chai because some people may not have heard that use before and wonder what the heck this “masala” thing I was talking about is.

mirthmatter

I figured you knew. I just like to be a sassy jerk sometimes.

Today definitely felt like winter. To counter that, I took the obvious route and visited my local David’s Tea store (Err… Not so obvious?). I picked up 50 grams of this tea to warm the cockles of my heart — and stomach?!

When you first open the package it smells almost completely of a rich, deep, chocolate.
When steeped, this tea has a semi-sweet dark chocolate flavor (it’s more bitter than “Read My Lips” — another classic chocolate tea from David’s), and a slight zing from the chilies at the end. Trying it both black, and with milk, I concluded that milk added an extra creamy hint the tea needed. I admit I was expecting a little more heat and spice from this heavier tea, but it’s not bad on those cold days when you need to wrap your hands around something warm.

[EDIT] I steeped this one for 4 minutes, rather than 6, and I enjoyed it a lot more. The chocolate wasn’t quite as predominant and heavy, which accented the spicy bite and the end much better.