Chocolate Chili Chai

Black Chai Blend
Aleppo Chili, Ancho Chili, Black Tea, Chocolate, Lily Petals, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Red Peppercorns
Chocolate, Peppercorn, Cream
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by ashleeeyyy88

• “It’s only November and I’m already getting antsy for spring. The days seem so gray and dreary, and the nights are already so dark and cold. On the bright side, at least this cold weather is a...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 349 tasting notes
  • “This smells AWESOME!!!!! Like if you were in a kitchen with Chocolate Cheesecake and peppers! That's the aroma I am getting BUT it's certainly MORE Chocolate than chili and I am VERY happy...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Having a cup of this while in switchboard today. Unfortunately, today it isn't quite what I wanted. The chocolate is still rich and bold, but I am not in the mood for that. I think I'm really in...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 688 tasting notes
  • “I totally meant to go to DavidsTea for Pom Power but before I made it out, I'd spent $20 and walked out with 7 other teas. I am so bad when it comes to deals. The moral of this: GUYS! IF YOU...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1678 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Hot, hot, hot

Is winter giving you the shivers? Try this fiery southwest chai. A blend of black tea, chocolate and ancho and Aleppo chilis, it gives new meaning to the term “hot chocolate.” With its sweet, rich chocolate flavour and feisty finish, this bold blend is perfect base for the ultimate latte with a little frothed or steamed milk. If you really want to feel the heat, add a splash of cinnamon whisky. Arriba!

Ingredients: Black tea, chocolate bits, red peppercorns, lily petals, aleppo chili, ancho chili, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

So I took a trip over to Davids Tea today, while running errands at my local mall, and decided to check out the new winter collection.

I picked up a bunch of tea samples (10 grams each of Coffee Cake, White Chocolate Frost, Alpine Punch, Gingerbread, Choconut Oolong and this one – Chocolate Chili Chai).

Once steeped for 5 minutes, I had to take a sip to taste it plain.

Nope.

Black tea just doesn’t do it for me plain. I need some sugar to bring out the flavour and a dash of milk too.

Much better!

I can feel a little bit of the chili heat in there, on my tongue a little, and it’s very smooth.

I like it. But I can only go with trying out different teas, and not commit to just one tea. That commitment is for straight-up green tea as my go-to.

Sipdown number 1 of today, technically I’m not drinking this and the fiancé is. I did have a little sip though. We came to pretty much the same conclusion and that is that this tea is just “meh”. It’s definitely chocolatey but lacking in the kick we thought something with “chili” in the name should have, and with “chai” for that matter.

I got the Chai Collection from David’s Tea. It’s a lot of fun trying out all these different chais.

The chocolate chili chai was very chocolatey, though not as spicy as I hoped it would be. I think i was expecting it to be closer to Azteca Fire. Maybe I will add a few more spices next time. This tea has a creamy texture.

My fiance bought me this tea recently. I am a HUGE fan of Chai tea on any ordinary day. It seemed thick and creamy and smelt amazing while steeping. When I finally poured the tea into the cup and tasted it, I really enjoyed the unique flavor. This is no ordinary Chai. This one is meant for a nice cold, winter day, in front of a fire- snuggling with your pets or loved one. This is a MUST BUY for all Canadians who enjoy tea.

I can’t taste chocolate but I could smell it when I opened the bag. I’m trying this as is. So no milk or sweetner. I think I’ll make a latte of it later and see how that goes. A good chai just not what I expected.

Boiling
Helena

I tried it as a chai and still no chocolate… (Sigh) Either way I have the “I ate too much pineapple” feel in my mouth. I think I better try something else. So long Chocolate Chili Chai it was nice meeting you but it’s not working out.

This tea is one of the 100g tins that I always have on hand. Not only is it delicious as a tea, but it’s great to use in baking as well. My favourite way to use it is to make half your mug’s worth and put 3 tsp in (for a normal mug), steep it for the maximum amount of time, then drink it with steamed milk and some honey or agave nectar. Perfection!

I am surprised more people are not as in love with this tea as I am! It is a heart-warming, chocolate treat, perfect for a cool afternoon. I actually like it better than the Read My Lips tea, though I love them both, and would never want to choose one over the other!

This makes an amazing latte! :)
My coworker made herself and me a latte using this, and it was fantastic!!

This was the first chocolate based tea I’ve tried, and I fell in love with it.
It just reminds me of Christmas, spicy and sweet! More sweet than spicy however, the perfect blend. Very much a winter tea, but I believe I could drink it all year round!

All in All a great tea!

I love the smell of this tea. LOVE IT!

But, I’ve always found myself wanting more from it. It’s a bit underwhelming in the cup, honestly. It feels a bit thin, and when/ if I add milk, it becomes almost watery. And this is even after steeping it for a long time. Like 10mins long. I’ve varied the steep time all over the map and have found the same every time.

I decided that after several cups didn’t live up to the glorious smell, I would start messing around a bit. I crushed up two cinnamon sticks, and added them to my remaining 25g. If I thought it smelled great before, this was pure heaven! I am a fan of spicy teas, and adding a bit of cinnamon kick to this one enhanced the scent of the chocolate, and brought out the heat from the chillies. Brewed, it had more body, and didn’t fade away when I added milk. Seriously delicious.

So, I still feel “meh” about the tea itself, but with a little home improvement, it has become one of my favourite dessert teas.