Santa's Secret

Artificial Flavouring, Black Tea Leaves, Peppermint, Sprinkles
Vanilla
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by VariaTEA

• “I picked this up on the weekend since i was trying to remember if i liked it or not. I still do, so that's good to know, though it's less wonderful than the first time i had it as my tastes have...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4044 tasting notes
  • “This tea is so good. Too bad I steeped it in my Timolino tumbler. I gave it 20 minutes to cool with the lid off but still managed to burn my tongue so badly that an hour later it still feels...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1397 tasting notes
  • “It's official, Santa's Secret is my Pumpkin Chai. Love and adore this blend. My amazing and wonderful mother in law found me some soy egg nog for the holidays and sent an unopened carton home with...” Read full tasting note
    ladykittykat 1196 tasting notes
  • “Santa Baby, Coming down my chimney tonight... But only with this tea! Creepiness of that song aside, this tea is still going strong. Delicious, creamy and smooth, it has a richness that is...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 675 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Need a little helper?
Ever wonder how Santa manages to deliver all those presents in just one night? Well here’s the hush-hush formula. He uses a special combination of Chinese black tea, peppermint leaves and spices – all sprinkled with real little candy canes. It’s both energizing and remarkably soothing. All Santa needs is one cup and his motto changes from “ho ho ho” to “go go go”

Ingredients: Chinese black tea, peppermint leaves, candy cane sprinkles.

1.5 tsp of tea at 98°C / 208°F for 4-6 min

About DAVIDsTEA View company

The little candy canes are a nice touch. Peppermint is certainly there, though I’ve been adding honey to tea lately for my throat. Certainly a pleasant tea I would drink again.

On my most recent foray to David’s Tea I was picking up Tea for someone else. Which prompted me to do something I never do, buy black tea.
I hate black tea.
But I picked up a number of tiny sample sizes to try.
This was one of them! I bought both Santa’s Secret and Mint to be, which is the supposed year round alternative.

98C 4 min
This tea smells amazing. Like vanilla mint black tea. It smells like yummy candy. From the smell alone I would think this would be amazing.

The taste is soft mint with with a soft candy, almost vanilla flavor. Paired with a mild sweet black tea. It’s tolerable. It’s possibly the best black tea I’ve tried, but there is no way I am going to be able to drink a whole cup.
The nice part about the mint, is it is not overwhelming. It’s is much subtler than many of David’s mint teas.
However, I suspect it would be absolutely delicious if I was a black tea drinker.

I utterly adore this tea! I tried it tonight when my coworker — hello, Abby! — offered it to me, and IT WAS SUPER DELICIOUS. I am so upset. I’ve been using the word “smooth” a lot in my notes tonight and I probably shouldn’t overuse the word, but it remains true for this one too! It was super delicious, rich, creamy with just beautiful hints of amazingness. I wish it was the Christmas season always, because this definitely shouldn’t be stashed away.

Santa’s Secret was the final tea in the 2013 DavidsTea advent calendar, and it was a nice way to finish off the box. I love the look of the tea, with its lovely candy cane sprinkles, and the peppermint goes well with the black tea.

Essentially, this is just a pepperminty black tea, which is perfect for a cold winter morning. It doesn’t actually taste like candy canes, though!

I really liked this tea—black tea with the punch of peppermint. The little candy cane candy in it makes for a nice appearance if you steep it in a clear container. The tea is a bit lighter in colour than a straight black tea, but still works with milk. A lovely black tea for winter!

I guess I should preface by saying I’m not really a mint tea fan but I love this tea. It’s sweet and minty in a way that doesn’t remind me of toothpaste as most mint teas do. There is enough black tea to balance out the sweet mint.

Day 25 of my do-it-yourself scavenger hunt advent calendar!

Well, it’s official. These last few days of December are the worst days of the year because I don’t have any new tea to discover :( Boo.

I got an extra-large bag of this tea to try, since I had expressed how much I was in love with this tea prior to it even being re-released this Holiday season. I had originally tried it in the official David’s Tea advent calendar the first year it existed and remembered how awesome it was. I love tea, I love candy canes, I can’t see how I WOULDN’T love those two things together. This tea, at the time, didn’t disappoint. But since many of their teas change during a re-release, I was hesitant to buy a kilogram of it in case I didn’t like it anymore. The 20g bag purchased by my dad was just enough to remind me if I liked it enough now, and to tide me over until I could get to the store to purchase a bunch myself.

And, let me tell you…I am not disappointed. It is sweeter than I remember, but maybe that’s because I haven’t had a black tea with candy bits in it that I’ve liked in a long time. I don’t ever add sweetener of any kind to teas, so candy pieces that add their own sweetness usually don’t sit well with me. But as soon as they’re candy canes…whole different story. Yum, yum, yum. I love the black tea leaves with peppermint leaves (reminds me a bit of Moroccan Mint tea with Chinese gunpowder green tea and mint leaves), and the candy cane candy pieces make it so festive. This is probably one of Santa’s best kept secrets.

Verdict: Will go buy a bunch this weekend before it’s gone for another year!

I received this as a sample with my David’s Tea Christmas gift … figured this would be a good blend to try this evening with my new kettle. The smell upon opening was very inviting – vanilla crème. The peppermint aroma was very faint, very subtle. The candy canes were oh so cute. I know some people do not appreciate the “kitsch” of decorated or even flavoured teas, however, I am a sucker. I love blends and I love David’s for their creativity on adding to the visual sense as well as the smell/taste.

The smell upon steeping: A light peppermint crème – definitely picked up on the minty-ness. Very seductive, if that can be used to describe a scent. Why yes, I will drink you tea, don’t you worry.

And now for the taste: Very minty right off the bat – hit much stronger than I was expecting from mild initial aroma. This was followed by a creamy middle, and a lovely tingly lingering mint aftertaste. The taste lingers on the palate and peaks about 15 seconds after finishing your sip. Very nice and rounded.

Took this one to work Christmas Eve morning before he retail rush… Got us off to a good start!!

I really enjoy this. It reminds me of Sleepytime a bit, but I think its better because it has more minty candy cane flavor. I only had a sample, but I think I’d buy a bag of it as well. I wish I had more!