Cream of Earl Grey (organic)

Chocolate, Vanilla, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From DAVIDsTEA

A creamy twist

Lovers of Earl Grey adore this creamy alternative to the original blend. You’ll recognize the same high-quality black tea, the same citrus burst of bergamot oil, the same beautiful grey-blue petals. However this version adds a touch of vanilla, and the result is an unexpectedly rich, creamy taste experience. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: Black tea, cornflowers. With natural vanilla and bergamot flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

My caffeine treat after finishing my midterm! I believe this is the first time I’ve had this in a travel mug, but it is quite tasty. I need to get more EGCs, they are so tasty and they just make me happy! This one is creamy yet not bitter, i think i steeped it almost 4 minutes too! Maybe the travel mug is actually slightly helping the flavor? Lol, i will happily sip this and get caught up on my homework that is due today haha.

ETA – happy day!! I got my first job offer!! So excited right now!! :D

Lala

Congrats!!

Indigobloom

Nice, congrats on your job!

Dinosara

Congrats on the job offer!

Josie Jade

Congratulations!

MissLena

Thanks!

TOOT TOOT TOOT TOOT TOOT TOOT TOOT TOOT TOOT TOOT TOOT
IT’S MY 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY ON STEEPSTER!
TOOTING MY HORN (If you don’t toot your own horn, nobody else will!)

So, why did I choose Cream of Earl Grey by DAVIDsTEA? It was one of my very first loose leaf tea purchases, and I found some in the cabinet.
Time to say adios to this packet, but not without a last cup to remember my journey.

I had never been a life-long tea drinker. I thought that tea was all fuss and pinky fingers up in the air…not for me at all. I liked strong coffee. My coffee came from Community Coffee in Louisiana and a small roaster (Cornucopia) in San Francisco.
While in Vancouver, B.C. at the Metropolis with my granddaughter Schey (Sept. 2011), we stopped in at Teaopia. We had never seen a tea shop like that before so I bought some tea for my daughter and a little Pumpkin tea for me.
My daughter says I found Steepster and I say she found it (seems more likely), but whatever the case…I joined Jan.5,2012, adding my first tea’s to the cupboard. (A couple flavors of Celestial Seasonings and Good Earth bagged tea’s).

Like most of you, I was stunned that anyone followed me, but the encouragement and friendship was genuine and continued month after month.

I soon got the hang of Steepster, learning from more experienced tea drinkers. I picked up the popular brands…especially DAVIDsTEA,
52tea’s and Teavivre (what a great help Teavivre’s samples were to my tea education in the beginning!)

I ordered this Earl Grey, Chocolate Orange Puerh (my first puerh), Oh Canada, Black and White, Check Mate and a few other tea’s as first ventures into loose leaf tea and was hooked. It was cool getting tea from Canada too!

If you told me a year ago that I would be drinking unflavored tea…hahahahaha…or Pu-erh that I would break off a Brick or Beeng…hahahahhaha. I wouldn’t just laugh, I’d scratch my head and say, “Bing who?”
Then, “What’s a Gaiwan?”, “What’s Gongfu?”, “What’s Sheng and Shu?”
Really?!

I’ve been binge tea drinking this weekend! A celebration!

I went to Boulder with granddaughter Schey and began at the fancy, hand-painted Dushanbe Tea House.

Next we went to Ku Cha Tea House and had tea on lovely low tables served with care and attention. The ratio of tea to water was correct. There was a soothing waterfall, Asian art and lush plants creating a restful place for sipping tea. (I ran into Alex Alan for those of you who know him here on Steepster. He looks happy!).

Today, I went to Happy Luckys and brought a 1953 Pu-erh Brick (blend) to share, that the HL guys broke apart for me (a first for Preston), and a sample tasting of a Taiwan Green Tea Powder.

While choreographing the breaking of the brick (careful prying), I drank a delicious hot chocolate matcha with steamed milk!

When I returned home much later, still uncertain about what to review, I finally chose this Earl Grey. It seemed right to go back to the beginning.

This is a tea that I would probably not drink today. I don’t mean this to sound snobbish.
I don’t drink as many flavored tea’s as I used to and this is too stong to me now. It seems that with all the tea tasting the past year, my taste buds are much more sensitive and this is not a tea that is subtle in the least.

I have used this tea in other ways, to infuse flavor into lemon and vanilla pudding. It’s good used that way!

So many people have taken my hands and guided me along, answering questions, never putting me down when I haven’t known what I was talking about. I’ve been naive and childish many times.

Puerh people that I asked questions about what shu and sheng is, Darjeeling people that I had to ask what first flush and second flush meant have infinite patience.

I’ve just scratched the surface…but looking back, I’m amazed that at my older age, I’ve learned so much in a year.
What has happened to me was summed up by my Priest, Fr. Evan, after a visit when we were drinking tea. I had explained my tea journey after the devastation of illness and divorce.

“Bonnie, you’ve changed this past year. I can see that you’re much less afraid of people. You seem to have come alive and are interacting with people in a way that I didn’t see in you before. You are on the right path, so keep doing what you’re doing and write about tea.”

Being on Steepster this year with all of you has been what has brought me alive and I want to thank you.
All the followers, those who comment now and then, those who send the messages in the envelope up top, the swaps and gifts, the Vendors who email me asking how I’m doing.

I want to name names but I won’t. The list is long and all of you are so important to me.

Here are the pictures of my crazy weekend of binge tea drinking (so far)! http://flic.kr/p/dJ7cRu

Tea Sipper

Seems like you win the Steepster award for “most changed tea drinking habits in the least amount of time”!

Tommy the Toad

Congrats :) I been here one year now too as of Jan 3 I love steepster

TheTeaFairy

Oh, I’m so glad I’m having insomnia tonight! I get to toot your horn!
I think about the first time we met on Steepster, you were watching the Superbowl that night :-) If Steepster and all its wonderful people have changed you for the best, know that you have change me for the best. Reading you is much more than reading about tea, it’s reading about life. I went through some difficult times in 2012, and your wisdom, but also, your wit and playfulness really helped to pull trough.
You will always have a special place in my heart, please continue to educate and entertain here on Steepster :-)

Azzrian

Happy One Year Bonnie!!! Steepster would not be the same without you!! <3

Scharp

Happy Anniversary!

Bonnie

Thanks you night owls!!! You all mean so much to me!!!

CrowKettle

Happy Anniversary! I feel so blessed to be able to read about your informative and uplifting experiences. Steepster wouldn’t be the same without you, nor would my steeping abilities! Thank you for sharing your wisdom. :)
This was one of the first five tins I bought from David’s Tea!

mpierce87

As always, I love reading your posts. Your joy and zest for life have lifted me up on many difficult days. I have been on Steepster for almost 3 years and it definitely would not be the same without you. <3

Becky

Yay anniversary! I’m happy for you :)

Erin

Congrats Bonnie, to me you are definitely one of the best parts of Steepster. Your tea evolution sounds amazing, I’m so happy for you!

Claire

Bonnie, congratulations on your 1 year of Steepster! So glad to have you around.

Kittenna

Congrats Bonnie! Looks like I joined Steepster about 3 weeks after you, so you’ve been integral to my time on here as well! I look forward to the many awesome tasting notes and stories to come!

ashmanra

Congratulations!

Roughage

Happy anniversary, Bonnie. :-)

mrmopar

TOOT IT !!!!!! we are all blessed to know you and we all look forward and enjoy your reviews. i have learned much from you and much of my knowledge would be decreased without your know how.best of all you are a friend to all of us and we treasure you!

Happy anniversary Bonnie! You are an amazing woman and an inspiration to me. Here’s to another year of great tea and new experiences.

DaisyChubb

WWWEEOOO!

Hesper June

Happy Anniversary, Bonnie! You are awesome:)

Helena

Happy Anniversary!! :D

Ysaurella

happy anniversary Bonnie ! you’re really one one my favorite writers here on Steepster – so happy,as your are, to have found this fantastic community

Indigobloom

Toot toot! Bonnie, has it really been only a year?! This place would not be Steepster without you. Congrats!! and cheers! bottoms up :)

Donna A

I’m much newer than you on Steepster, and your posts always get my attention-I enjoy reading them. I can identify with your comments concerning your changing taste buds!

Bonnie

HUGS AND MORE HUGS AND LETS HAVE A PARTY!

Invader Zim

Happy anniversary Bonnie, this place wouldn’t be the same without you! I love your tasting notes and stories…don’t stop writing!

All that would come up for this one was the new chocolate, even after hitting enter in the search bar, so I had to look for it in my cupboard…

Anyway, I offered to make Tre some tea yesterday and he said he’d just have what I was having, except what I was having was two sipdowns so I grabbed a different EG and made some for him (complete with ghastly amounts of sugar). He didn’t like it – though I thought it tasted fine, despite the sugar…

I always test what I serve him before giving it to him, if I’m the one making it. Though very rarely does he make stuff for himself.

Shared a pot of this with my roommate tonight, in another advent calendar tea sipdown! There was enough leaf leaf (4.5 tsp or thereabouts) for two large mugs each, which we both thoroughly enjoyed.

To me, this tea smells primarily like a light earl grey, but the flavour is oh so delicious. If I didn’t know better, I’d say that the tea contained creamer and sweetener, just like in the good old days when my best friend and I used to go through pot after pot of heavily sugared/creamed earl grey, spending the night playing games and laughing. Clearly this is a less sinful version! Unlike straight earl greys, the creaminess of this tea softens the bergamot and eliminates any bitterness/astringency coming from the black tea base. A perfect cup (although, perhaps not the best thing to drink immediately prior to sleeping!)

ETA: Re-steeped the infuser in a single mug of tea for ~3.5 minutes, and ended up with a really delicious, surprisingly not too strong cup of tea. Yum! I think I no longer have any more earl grey creams in my stash :‘( (Unless… there’s one in my box from LiberTEAS?! I will have to check ASAP!)

ETA again: Third infusion is as far as this one went. At this point, it’s less like an earl grey, and more like a weak black tea. Still ok, but I’m drinking this because it’s an earl grey cream, and now it is much less so. Oh well, felt bad about throwing so many leaves away without at least attempting some additional infusions!

CHAroma

You make every tea sound amazing!

Decupboarding! Backlogging from earlier today.

This was the first sample we offered at the tea party my friend and I hosted a few weeks ago – so much fun!

This is the best Cream of Earl Grey I’ve tried. I don’t like Teavana’s offering at all – their straight Earl Grey is far too strong, and their EGC tastes incredibly artificial.

This is light and smooth. I usually add a bit of milk and sugar, and it’s equally as good hot as iced. Not sure I’ll be ordering more, just because I’ve still got 2oz of Teavana’s to sipdown, and I can’t really justify buying more tea (isn’t that everyone’s problem?)

I like this one too.

Kiaharii

What am I doing wrong with this tea! All of the reviews don’t match up to what I’m getting, but maybe I just don’t like it. Hmm.

Michelle

Huh. Do you generally like EGs? When I brew hot, I usually do 2tsp per 12oz, throw in a tsp of rock sugar, steep for 3 minutes and then add in a splash of milk until it’s a fairly light to midrange brown.

Iced I usually do 3tsp tea/8oz water/1tsp sugar, steep for 4-5 minutes, then pour over ice and add milk.

Maybe it’s just not your cup of tea though? :)

Helena

I didn’t like this tea either.. it reminded me of black licorice or licorice all sorts (I don’t like them)

Kiaharii

I don’t know, I’ve only tried one other and it was bagged (Numi’s Aged Earl Grey), and that was good. I tried it cold brewed and it was a litter better, I don’t know… I like vanilla, but then I get the (what I assume is) bergamot in the back of my throat and blarg.

Michelle

I don’t like much bergamot myself either. It’s usually way too sharp for me.

This was a blast from the past today. I’m doing some 12-hour (incredibly slow, boring) shifts at the office conveniently located near a DT, and have taken to popping in for a to-go cup. The problem is that I never know what I want; I have pretty much any of the teas I have any interest in drinking at home. And I feel silly paying $2.63 or whatever for a cup of things I have tins of. But, I have to do it. It’s just too damn convenient.

Anyway, I haven’t had this one in ages though I often pause over it when choosing what to drink. I think it was in my first-ever DT order, so we go way back. And it just jumped out at me today. I knew it was the tea for me. When the employee opened the canister to scoop mine out, the scent was incredibly powerful and had me excited to get back to my desk for some quality time with that turquoise paper cup. It didn’t disappoint. It’s as good as I remember it being. I think I might need to indulge in some fresher stock, as my love for this one has been renewed. So sweet! So creamy.

Uniquity

I too have some of all the teas I’m interested in. Now I only pop in to DT when there’s a new tea and wave off the sales people’s attempts to sell me other things. I relly do want to try the birthday cake ones though!

Jessie

Yeah! DT employees have seemed rather into up- and other-selling lately. By other-selling, I’m referring to last week when I went in just for a cup of Glitter and Gold and she seemed really disappointed that I didn’t want to try Hot Lips instead.

Tina S.

Wow, that really makes me sad. And glad my store hasn’t dared try that crap on me. I’d be so upset about it.

SIPDOWN! I think? this is from raritea though i can’t be certain, as at a certain point i stopped noticing who was putting what into my box at our swap.
I vaguely recall being asked if i wanted to try this and i’m 90% certain that even though i pretty much hate earl grey, i wanted to compare it to the earl grey creme from upton that i actually quite like (because it tastes like lemon cream).

This one? much more bergamoty, and i taste more of a vanilla flavour than the lemon i get when i drink the version from upton. I think this pretty much solidifies in my mind though, that me and bergamot? we’re never going to be friends lol

Lala

Well sounds like you are becoming quite the Davids Tea connoisseur.

lol i blame raritea!

Cream of Earl Latte on this rainy day! Ah , a dash of sugar and it’s like a sweet, creamy, milky London Fog!

The perfect accompaniment to a supper of Grilled Cheese and tomato soup, enjoyed while watching Breaking Bad. :) A content moment!

Will Work For Tea

That sounds so comforting! :)

DaisyChubb

I’m on the second steep and it’s still just as comforting :) It’s a gooder!

Cee Long Green

I hate to be a total noob, but how do you make a tea latte? Just warm the milk on the stove? Or is it a lot more complicated than that? Sounds delicious, so delicious willing to admit noob-ness.

After all this time, I picked this up, as I’m on the search for that perfect EGC.

Previous reports of the bergamot being ultra potent led me to believe I wouldn’t care for this, but this is quite smooth in comparison to some others that I’ve tried. A gentle waft of cream is coming from the dry leaf, and thus far, I’d say the flavours are balanced.

The first steep is a little on the brisk side, but I’d say that this has a very desirable amount of bergamot in here. Not as creamy nor vanilla-y as I had hoped, but no bitterness, at least. The cream is present in every sip but it doesn’t hang around for as long as I would like.

The second steep still bursts with flavour, the liquor almost as amber-y as the first steep, and the creaminess is a little more pronounced now.

Not my favourite EGC, but if I’m ever EGC-less and need a fast fix, I’d most definitely skip down to the nearby DT and grab more of this.

Emily M

I love this one, but to be fair, I’ve only had one other EGC besides this and that one was not so pleasant. Which is your favorite, if you don’t mind my asking?

Fjellrev

So far, my favourite is from Steeps, a not very well known company on this site. Granted, I haven’t had it in over a year so it’s a little hard to compare, but I swear it’s creamier. I’ve yet to try some of the Steepster favourites though, like Upton’s and English Tea Store. DT still did a great job on this one!

Emily M

Thanks for sharing! =)
I’d never heard of Steeps before.

I have mixed feeling about this Earl Grey. The first thing that hit me was the citrus note, then the creamy vanilla part, then the tea. When I think earl grey, I think fragrant tea with just a hint of citrus. I really want to smell that earl grey distinct aroma and that didn’t hit me with the first few sips. It kind of crept up on me as I kept drinking it and even then the tea didn’t seem to have that flavor I was looking for. The vanilla is nice, but just a tad too overpowering. I’m very sensitive to vanilla and often find that when it’s used, there is too much of it. At least the vanilla didn’t taste artificial.

I just steeped this a second time, but I feel like the tea is mostly the same. I don’t really notice a change in how the flavors progress. It feels a little smoother, but I think that may be because I knew what to expect from the flavor.

All in all it is a good tea- just not what I was expecting. I think I could grow to like this, but I was expecting more fragrance from the tea itself.

Chizakura

This was a lot like how I felt originally about this tea. Too much vanilla, not enough earl grey. But it grew on me like WHOA. This is the one tea from David’s that I HAVE to have on hand at all times.

Fuzzy_Peachkin

Yeah. Good to know I’m not the only one! I think I’d have to try it again to really make up my mind about it.