Cream of Earl Grey (organic)

Chocolate, Vanilla, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From DAVIDsTEA

A creamy twist

Lovers of Earl Grey adore this creamy alternative to the original blend. You’ll recognize the same high-quality black tea, the same citrus burst of bergamot oil, the same beautiful grey-blue petals. However this version adds a touch of vanilla, and the result is an unexpectedly rich, creamy taste experience. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: Black tea, cornflowers. With natural vanilla and bergamot flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I think I probably really bug Ricky here on Steepster because I’m always emailing him about merging duplicate entries, heh. This one happens to have two entries, and even though my pouch uses the other variant on the name (“Organic Cream of Earl Grey”) I chose this one because it has more entries. Well, they should be merged soon anyway.

This is the last of the three samples I bought at the shop last weekend. It smells really creamy, and it delivers. It’s possibly one of the creamiest EGC’s I’ve had, though it suffers a bit from the same faint, slightly pithy, bitter-citrus flavor that their plain Earl has. Not shocking, because that’s probably the base of this. The cream goes a long way to smoothing that out, but it’s not quite enough for me. Still, that is some super vanilla-y cream in there, with almost caramelly notes. Pretty tasty.

TeaEqualsBliss

I drop him emails about merging all the time too! Ricky’s awesome :)

This is no ordinary Earl Grey.
LOVE the creaminess of this and Earl Grey
Has been one of my favorites for 30 years.
Smooth, creamy, and a taste of Heaven.

Whiskey Buzz

Aww yay! I’m a huge fan of it as well! i’m so glad you like it!

lol…I am hooked!

MissB

I have a friend who considers himself a huge Earl Grey fan, and when I bought him a small pouch of this a few months back, he told me that I’d “ruined” his enjoyment of all the other Earl Grey’s he’d ever tried in his life. It’s definitely a keeper!

LOL…I understand

Whiskey Buzz

Hahaha I can totally see why that is MissB! I had a friend over and she had 4 tea POTS of the cream of earl grey, she’s forever ruined too!

CelebriTEA

lol…it does have THAT effect on one :-)

Thank you Courtney for this tea. I love Earl Grey :)

In raw form this tea has a very strong citrus scent that also reminds me a little of liquorice (for some reason). Ahhh thinking about it now it must be the vanilla pod.

Once steeped this tea has a creamy and sweet vanilla scent with waxy bergamot behind it. Very nice.

Without sugar or milk: Slight sweet from the vanilla with a soft creamy element to it. The bergamot is a little sour and floral which gives the tea an overall tangy taste. It’s drinkable but it would take a few mugs to get used to it.

With sugar and milk: Now I can pick up the vanilla pod a little better with it’s thick licorice like taste. The bergamot is less sour and blends in better.

It makes a huge difference with the added sugar and milk, almost like it’s a completely different tea. Me and my husband love it. We will be drinking lots of tea tonight whilst we play FF IX :) Thanks once again Courtney

Bonnie

I used to love this long ago, now it’s too strongly flavored for me. I have some left that I infuse into milk for pudding. It works! Used it for some lemon pudding…

KittyLovesTea

Wow that is a great idea! I bet the vanilla tastes wonderful and works well with it.

Although I always steep my teas with boiling water, I tried this with slightly cooler water. It wasn’t strong enough for my at 6 minutes, so I ended up closer to 10. I would stick with boiling water!

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more

Day 5 of 24 days of tea (and my BIRTHDAY, woot!) Unfortunately, I forgot about the tea steeping and ruined the blend. Way too bitter, dang. I think I’ll make a purchase of this later to try again though since it got some great reviews.

Josie Jade

The Cup of Life - Lu Ann

Awww! You all rock :) Thanks for the bday messages <3

Indigobloom

Happy Belated!! hope there was cake :P

I’ve found Cream of Earl Grey to be extremely temperamental. Don’t follow the brewing instructions, this tea needs to be lightly steeped for just 2 minutes and 30 seconds, and it’s completely divine even without milk and sugar. I need to set a timer with this guy, and as soon as that 2 1/2 minutes are up, I take it out regardless of how I’m feeling it might taste, and it always comes out great. It’s become my morning routine to brew this tea and do a 2 minute clean up while it steeps (I always think of Loonette and her Ten Second Tidy on the Big Comfy Couch).
I’ve been drinking it straight, just because I feel that adding sugar or milk to tea can quickly turn a good habit into a bad one. But this morning I had it with milk and some agave, and it was just blissful. Sometimes, you need to indulge yourself!
Yes, I had a very bad first impression of this tea, but God only knows how long I had steeped it for. With a little TLC, this tea can go a long way :-)

Kittenna

Definitely feel the same about this tea! A short steep is absolutely required, or it starts to lose the creaminess/become bitter, which makes it no longer so tasty sans milk/sweetener.

Also, curse you for mentioning the Big Comfy Couch! For some completely random reason, a couple days ago I had the theme song to that show stuck in my head on repeat… and now it’s back. “Lunette and Molly, a clown and her dolly, on the big, comfy, couch”. Uggghhh!!

DaisyChubb

there is lots to doodle do.. now it’s in my head too!

AliPants

HAHA!!! I love it. When I was writing that, I was thinking that everyone would think I was crazy and wonder what I was talking about. Turns out, I’m completely sane (this round)! I loved that show.
Also Krystaleyn, I’m so happy to have found the secret to this tea :-D liking teas you never thought you did is just as good as finding new ones you love!
PS Daisy, you rhyme!

DaisyChubb

oh myyy gaaah it IS a rhyme!

Final sipdown of this one. Still enjoying it after three cups.

Erin

Mmm, my favorite tea from Davids.

Sample package label:
“BLACK TEA / ORGANIC
Lovers of Earl Grey adore this creamy alternative to the original blend. We’ve added a touch of vanilla for an unexpectedly rich, creamy taste experience.

Ingredients – Organic: Black tea, marigolds, cornflowers. With natural and organic flavoring.

1.5 tsp. / 98*C 208*F / 3-5 min.
USDA Organic / Canada Organic Biologique / PAREVE”

6-oz water with total dissolved solids (TDS) of 19 ppm, heated to 212*F and allowed to cool to 208*F – verified with DAVIDsTEA digital thermometer
1 Heaping Tevanna teaspoon

Introduction: I understand Cream of Earl Grey from DAVIDsTEA is a blend of organic Sri Lankan and Chinese black teas. Most EG teas have a 100% Sri Lankan (Ceylon) base. Having the addition of a Chinese black tea, was a significant reason for wanting to sample this EG tea. Our current EG has a Ceylon base and I can’t get past the astringency. Other primary reasons: My wife loves EG and prefers organic teas.

This tea has a vanilla / floral fragrance, which is different than a classic lemony Earl Grey.

Dark brown hue.

3-min & 4-min Infusions: The initial taste at both these time points was too light.

First 5-min Infusion:
There was a strong vanilla & floral aroma, but we didn’t detect a lemony aroma as is typical of a classic Earl Grey.
This tea was very smooth and rich with a strong vanilla & floral taste and a very subdued oil of Bergamot lemon flavor. There was no hint of bitterness. There was a moderate amount of astringency, as compared to our current Earl Grey Cream from Whistling Kettle. The reduced level of astringency appears to be consistent with this EG tea’s reduced level of Sri Lankan black tea.
2nd 5-min Infusion:
The second infusion was enjoyable. I was surprised that the flavoring was still present.

Impression: This tea is a good choice for creamy vanilla lovers who also appreciate strong floral notes.

For those who prefer a classic lemony Oil of Bergamot flavor:
“It’s complicated.” The additional natural ingredients that give this Earl Grey its rich full-bodied taste are much stronger than the classic Oil of Bergamot EG flavor. Achieving just the right balance must be quite a challenge as the number of ingredients increases. DAVIDsTEA also offers an Earl Grey.

Suggestion: For those like my wife who love the classic EG aroma & flavor, DavidsTea may also wish to develop another version of their Cream of Earl Grey where the oil of bergamot is as strong as the other natural ingredients – a Cream of Classic Earl Grey.

Many thanks to DAVIDsTEA and Natalie for providing this very generous size free sample.

Bonnie

This tea is pretty strong made by the pot. I never would have thought of making it in a Gaiwan with short timed infusions. Earl Grey is a ‘by the pot’ type of tea. Did you try it the traditional way, or suggested way? (I only use it to flavor puddings and in cooking because the flavor is so strong…so I do see what you mean by it not being a true EG).

looseTman

We typically brew a pot of EG. However, since we are currently sampling many different teas, I brewed it by the cup and tasted it at the DAVIDsTEA recommended time points. I imagine that by the pot, all the natural flavors of this Cream of Earl Grey would be stronger and the vanilla / floral flavors are strong enough by the cup.

This will not be a totally precise tasting note as this was tasted together with 5 other EGCs but this one has a solid flavor that lasted 3 steeps and can possibly live up to another steep or so.

For the 1st steep, I liked how this tasted more than I did the other 4…but not so much more than ZenTea’s :)

Hot or cooled down, this did not get bitter! Hooray! And in the end (after the 3rd steep), this was the best tasting of all 6 EGCs that I tried.

This is really and surprisingly good! The emphasis here is definitely on the cream (and this tea does taste distinctly creamy to me, more than it tastes of flat-out vanilla). The bergamot’s present, but it’s on the lighter side. The tea base (Ceylon?) is light and smooth. This is more delicate than the Earl Greys I usually go for, but I find myself enjoying it quite a lot. Thanks for this sample, Teamore! I can see myself keeping some of this (or another Earl Grey Cream – suggestions welcome!) in stock, especially for the winter.