Cream of Earl Grey (organic)

Chocolate, Vanilla, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From DAVIDsTEA

A creamy twist

Lovers of Earl Grey adore this creamy alternative to the original blend. You’ll recognize the same high-quality black tea, the same citrus burst of bergamot oil, the same beautiful grey-blue petals. However this version adds a touch of vanilla, and the result is an unexpectedly rich, creamy taste experience. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: Black tea, cornflowers. With natural vanilla and bergamot flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

My mother has asked me to create an entire costume series for her to use in her classroom, so for the last couple days I have been burying myself in research into lower and middle class clothing from 1450 t0 1800. My brain was whirling with jumps, fabrics, stays, and all sorts of odds and ends, so I decided to give the poor thing a break and grab a nice cup of tea.

My first impression? I just found a new favorite Earl Grey cream! I’ve tried several EGCs now, and some of them can completely overwhelm you – and the Earl Grey – with their cream flavors. This one does an excellent job finding a solid and smooth balance, and I think from now on it may take up more permanent residence in my cupboard!

You can read my full review on my blog: http://wordsabouttea.blogspot.com/2013/06/cream-of-earl-grey-organic-by-davidstea.html

So this is day 5 on the advent calendar… I didn’t manage to catch up yet this weeked as I was super busy. I made a pot of this this morning alongside my silk dragon jasmine latte. I kept it on the warmer and got to drink this all morning. I am really happy to have this tea on the calendar.

What?! I haven’t logged this yet? How on earth did that happen! This is a standard at my house. The other half just loves it, and thankfully chips in his fair share of the 250g bags when I do orders. Its a really nice early grey, and the vanilla just sets it over the edge. The vanilla adds a lovely creaminess to the tea. Will be drinking cream of earl grey for years to come.

MANY THANKS again to Steepster Bonnie for sharing her very interesting teas with me!!!

The title of this tea is fascinating. I didn’t know what to expect from an Organic Cream of Earl Grey tea. When I opened the packet, I couldn’t detect the familiar aroma of bergamot that I was accustomed to in other Earl Grey selections. Instead, the scent was more like pipe tobacco or cough syrup.

I steeped this tea for six minutes at 212 degrees. A golden orange colored brew was produced.

The flavor of this tea is a cornucopia of fruity, flowery, sweet, and almost perfume-like taste. Ironically, the only attribute I don’t recognize is bergamot. However, it must just be a consequence of my allergy-plagued tastebuds because my fiancee commented on the bergamot scent when she walked into the house! There is no bitterness and nothing that I would describe as unpleasant.

This is a likable tea. It’s a little more flowery and fruity than I prefer but that isn’t stopping me from enjoying this sample.

Bonnie

It’s fine not to love a tea! That’s why I send variety! You’d feel worse if you bought it!

Stoo

I’m very grateful to you for the opportunity to try it, Bonnie. I didn’t hate it. I re-steeped it twice and drank it all! :-) Thanks again so much!

So knowing now what I didn’t know before I dumped a shallow davids perfect tea spoon into the strainer and steeped it for the lowest recommended time.

Really want to love this tea since it smells so lovely.

Earl Grey suddenly becomes sexy in DT’s hands.

When brewed it smells more regular but has a lovely creamy disposition with that pinch of vanilla and is a richly honey colored drink.

This tea smells of wonderfully superior ingredients while keeping the classic Grey profile.

Taste is totally creamy with a passionate (but delicate) kiss of vanilla and bergamot.

This is definitely a great earl grey experience.It’s lovely and delicate nothing is overpowering or false tasting.It is creamy and sexy.If you are looking for a less boring earl grey with pronounced sex appeal..this is it.

Lynne-tea

Saucy review! hah

katgolik

Thank you! Lol

Dry: Rich aroma of vanilla and lemony bergamot! This was one of the original teas that encouraged me to make the switch from coffee in the mornings. Pretty loose leaf black tea blended with cornflower petals.

Steeped: Deep brown clear liquor, no oily sheen noted. Smells wonderful! The citrus bergamot flavour can be too much for me in some Earl Grey blends, but this one is rounded out in a lovely way with straight-up vanilla and black tea.

Taste: I’m sure it will change at some point, but this is my current go-to morning tea. On the tongue, it is just as described: creamy vanilla meets citrus bergamot in a lovely organic black tea. It does hold up to multiple steepings, though it tends to lose creamy vanilla notes with the 2nd and 3rd. I like it with a dash of milk or without, hot or cold- very versatile. I don’t tend to add any sweetener, though if you have a sweet tooth then it may be just the thing. Overall, this blend is one of my go-to favorites and is also a lovely selection to introduce a friend or loved one to loose leaf tea.

caile

I loved this one as a morning tea also.

Tried this again, and I liked it much better this morning. Not sure what I did differently!

Boiling

So I asked myself why I was putting the half teaspoon of golden sugar in this tea (which, despite my previous note has not only become a cupboard staple the past few weeks, but I drink two of these a day now if not more) when it seems it’d taste so sweet without to begin with, so I put in just a splash of milk, no sweetening of any kind.

It’s interesting how much it changed the flavor. Before it was a tea that had a bit of a creamy note, but without the sugar to distract it, it taste full on like CREAM now. Somehow without the sweet indulgence, this cup of tea has become thicker, more decadent and far more dessert like. So it became more indulgent WITHOUT the indulgence, ha. Less is more as they say, I suppose. :)

Anyway, I’ve upped my rating considerably. Not because of this experiment, but because it suddenly became a can’t-live-without tea somehow even though during my last taste note I was simply trying to get rid of my remaining stock…

Another sample from TassieTeaGirl; I am smashing through these. It’s like Christmas!

This earl grey is beautifully sweet. I oversteeped a little so it was a touch bitter, but that’s just because I have the unfortunate habit of walking away from a steeping tea and forgetting about it (and I don’t yet have the machine that goes PING when steep time is up, but it sounds like a solid investment for me).

ANYWAY. Delicious and sweet tea. I added a bit of sugar to correct the bitterness and it worked a treat. Milk isn’t necessary, but also doesn’t take away from the deliciousness.

TassieTeaGirl

You’re powering through those samples! Glad you’re enjoying them!

Memily

I can’t help it, I have no restraint!

TassieTeaGirl

It is hard to with tea. Clearly I don’t either, saw my collection!

Ok, I admit it. My facination with earl grey tea started in my early childhood and it is completely Captain Picard’s fault. A nerd through and through, and too young to know any better, I drank it because I thought it was the cool thing to do. Now, it’s turned into a sort of comfort-tea for me, turned to when you need something a little snuggly.

This tea was one of the first loose leaf teas I’ve ever tried. Until recently I had no idea that there was a world of tea beyond the bagged grocery store pickings. So, naturally this was one of my first picks.

At first, the smell really surprised me. I’d known that earl grey was all about the bergamot, but until I smelled this tea I had no idea what the heck it was. I suppose my tastebuds and my nose just couldn’t figure it out. Maybe it was the fault of the store-bought brands, or it could be I’m just a complete newbie when it comes to tea. Either way, when I opened up this particular tea, boy did I figure it out quick.

I hate to say it, but I really did not like it. It just hit the tastebuds in all the wrong places, I suppose. I was dissapointed and determined not to like it. It got shoved aside for quite some time. But recently, that little tin keeps wiggling it’s way to the front of my cupboard. I keep giving it one more try…over and over again. I’ve come to realize that with a just a little bit of milk and sugar, I kind of like it. It’s grown on me so much that kind of liking it has turned into a daily thing, and I’m sad to say my tin is almost empty.

I may be a tea newbie, and not too sure about the finer notes and flavors…but I’m learning. I’ve learned to love this tea, and I’m sure the tin won’t be empty for very long.