Cream of Earl Grey (organic)

Black Tea, Cornflower Petals, Marigold Petals, Natural Bergamot Oil, Natural Vanilla Flavor
Bergamot, Caramel, Orange Zest, Vanilla, Creamy, Earl Grey, Cream, Chocolate, Anise
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

A creamy twist

Lovers of Earl Grey adore this creamy alternative to the original blend. You’ll recognize the same high-quality black tea, the same citrus burst of bergamot oil, the same beautiful grey-blue petals. However this version adds a touch of vanilla, and the result is an unexpectedly rich, creamy taste experience. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: Black tea, cornflowers. With natural vanilla and bergamot flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I consider myself an Earl Grey Buff. This is one of my favourites. Perfect tea to go along with arrowroot cookies. Enjoying a cup right now. It tastes great iced with Agave nectar, hot with milk or hot black.

LiberTEAS

I LOVE Earl Grey… I don’t know that I’d consider myself a “buff” but I have consumed a lot of different Earl Grey teas as well as quite a few interesting twists on the classic. I look forward to reading more Earl Grey posts from you.

You can pretty much understand what this tastes like just by the name, not much else to say. It is indeed creamy, I would say the vanilla aspect outshines the bergamot a little bit in this blend. Both flavors are subtle and blend together very well into a very pleasant tea.

I’m disappointed in this tea. I tried it again this morning, and it just doesn’t taste like earl grey to me. It doesn’t tast bad, especially with creamer and honey, but the citrus flavor that I want in my earl grey just isn’t there to me. I think I’ll be bumping my rating down a bit.

This was included with the 12 Days of Christmas 2013 tea, CelibriTea sent out-Thanks so much, it was extremely appreciated! I would of told you that I do not like Earl Grey tea that much, if you would of asked me 6 months ago. I did a sampling of a bunch of black tea several years ago and after several earl’s I decided to stick with my English breakfast. Well, I revisted Earl several months ago, and after drinking an enormous amount of many different teas since then, I have grown a fondness towards him. I think the thing that really got me started, was a coffee shop day, when I tried a London Fog. I have to say, I enjoyed it so much, I had to try more. I enjoyed this Earl Grey. I will say that I did not think it was that ‘creamy’. It had a light earl flavor to it, not as pungent as other greys I have been drinking. I have read that the bergamot is the deciding factor in that, but I may be wrong. Anyway, I enjoyed, and will continue to drink Earl more regularly!

Day 17 of the 24 Days of Tea

Well, after having a terrible sleep Sunday night, I had the best sleep ever. I can thank my neighbour and our bottle and a half of wine last night. I hit the pillow and woke up feeling rested. I skipped over to my Advent Calendar and opened up number 17. I exclaimed with delight at the fact that it was a) a black tea and b)it was an Earl Grey. I will put a disclaimer though. I am not a huge fan of EGC blends. I find they take away from the classic and if done wrong, can feel fake. It’s like putting Audrey Hepburn in hippie attire… BLASPHEMOUS! No no, she belongs in her little black dress, with large sunglasses and glamourous necklace.

At first sniff: I smell what all EGC have in them to make them smell of “cream” or I guess what people feel smells like cream. I smell the vanilla and bergamont dancing with each other and something else I can’t peg.

At first steep: I brewed it stronger and added half and half and stevia to the mix. I get the creamy feeling, but I feel the bergamont is lost a bit. I can see this tea catering to the sans bergamont crowd who shy away from EG because of it. However, I feel let down. I get more creamy vanilla from this than lemony creamy delight. Side note: Tea companies need to make vanilla teas with Mexican vanilla, after hoarding a whole bunch from my last trip and shamelessly (read begging) people who go there after to bring me back more bottles, I’m convinced it smells the best. Sometimes I put in 1/2 tsp of extract in my vanilla teas and boy does it just enhance. I didn’t do that in this case, but seriously Mexican vanilla… mmm.

I’m kind of at a standstill on how to rate this tea… I don’t want to unfairly rate it, but it didn’t wow me either. I enjoyed my cup this morning, and it was a nice treat, but I am on the fence about purchasing it. So many companies do EGC, it’s almost a necessity to have a sip off.

My brother got me the Chanukah gift set from Davidstea this year and I think this one was the tea I was most excited to try as I have been on a major earl grey cream kick ever since trying the Argo version (which is lovely).

It recommends a 3-5 minute steep, but I tend to be cautious with black teas of any sort so I did 3. This one is less creamy than the Argo version. I think I prefer that one just a bit, but then again, this tastes more like tea, so if that’s more your thing, you’d probably like this one more.

I may have bought several different earl grey cream varieties with the black friday sales but shhh, no need to tell anyone.

I’ve had a sample of this tea in my cupboard for a few months and am just getting around to trying it now…so many teas, so little time (thanks to Courtney and my first tea order from The TeaCupany).

There was a taste to this tea that I really didn’t love. I’m finding the same unlikeable flavor in a few other teas that I’ve tried over the past few months, but I can’t figure out what it is. It IS possible that the strong flavor was only there because I steeped it too long, but I’m unsure.

I’m going to try this one again at a later date to find out if it’s my poor steeping skills or if I just really don’t enjoy a particular ingredient.

Courtney

No matter how many variations of Earl Grey I tried, I could never get on board. Bergamot and I just don’t get along sadly.

KellyxLee

I wonder if that’s the taste I’m not loving. I recall drinking a few other teas that have this same ingredient. I’ll have to see if bergamot is an ingredient in these other teas.

I absolutely love this earl grey. It’s still got a classic taste, but the touch of vanilla is where I fell in love here. It tastes so creamy and I did not add anything to my cup, and it tastes like I did! Yum! I’ve been having so many earl grey tea lattes lately that I kinda forgot about the “true” tea taste if you know what I mean. This cup was so enjoyable! Mmmmm!

teabean

Okay. I’m officially on my 3rd cup since I wrote that. Good thing I bought a tin!

I realised I was getting low on my DavidsTea Cream of Earl Grey. If I want to compare it to Murchie’s Earl Grey Cream, I’d better do it soon!

Dry: Visually the DT Earl Grey looks nicer as there are a lot of pretty blue cornflowers sprinkled throughout. It smells really pleasant with the bergamot and vanilla. Alternatively, M’s Earl Grey has yellowish cornflowers mixed with the tea leaves. It smells really good as well – perhaps it has a bit more bergamot? DT’s smells “creamier” but judging by smell alone I don’t know that I could pick one over the other.

Steeped for 3 ½ minutes: I… really shouldn’t have done this the day AFTER I really burned my tongue. But, here we go!
The M’s has a nice cream flavour with lots of bergamot, but it still tastes bitter. I really like Murchie’s black/green blends, but for some reason I keep finding their blacks too strong for my taste – it just gives me a bitter aftertaste. Did I get a bad batch? It’s too strong to drink without cream at least. The DT’s blend doesn’t have that problem. It tastes creamier and milder. If the Murchie’s blend didn’t have that bitter aftertaste, it might even have more flavour than DT’s, but as it is I have to go with DT’s.

With Cream: Murchie’s taste far less bitter without the cream in it. I even notice a bit of sweetness. No complaints here! With DT’s, it’s almost like the cream has washed out some of the flavours – it’s not nearly as good with the cream. I’ve had it with milk before and that was very good though.

Verdict: If I’m drinking it black, or with 2% milk, DavidsTea wins. If I’m adding cream, or making a latte, then Murchies all the way!

Day 15 of my Advent Calendar

Another tea i’ve been meaning to try

Dry leaves smell like bergamot and vanilla steeped it smells like bergamot and black tea the liqueuer is the color of pancake syrup.

Time to taste: Bergamot, Black tea and a smooth finish from the vanilla

I really like it! gonna add this to my shopping list