Cold 911 (organic)

Herbal Tea
Apple, Juniper, Natural Orange Flavor, Peppermint
Mint, Sweet, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Lemon, Apple, Orange, Menthol, Medicinal, Citrus, Lemon Zest, Earth, Orange Zest, Pine
Caffeine Free
Kosher, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

2 Images

Bad colds require great interventions. Take this tea, for example. It’s a deliciously soothing mix of peppermint, juniper berries and orange peel. Pretty great, right? If that’s not extreme enough for you, you could try eating raw garlic, or gargling salt water, or inhaling lots of steam. Yeah…we didn’t think so. Probably better just to stick to the tea. With its soothing citrus and mint aroma we can’t guarantee miracle results, but at least we can guarantee it tastes great. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: peppermint, juniper berries, orange peel. With natural eucalyptus and orange oil.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Bought this tea along with the Cold Survival Kit. My family and I drank this up during our very sick days, and it just makes me feel a little bit more relaxed and better than I was before. Tastes like many other regular mint teas. I probably won’t be repurchasing this tea only because I don’t find it that much of a unique tea to always have on hand.

Unlike most of the reviews, I actually like the taste of this one. Tastes exactly like it smells – like ‘Vicks VapoRub.’ But, well, good! Minty, herb-y and refreshing somehow. Works wonders on colds and allergies for me. One tea I plan to stock year-round.

This has been my go to cold tea lately! When I am stuffy or have a sore throat this tea I stick my face over my steeping cup and inhale. It is just as theraputic as drinking it. It is on the minty side, which I don’t mind, but I love the light eucalyptus flavor and scent that come out.

Never did a proper review of this one.

I recently got a sample of this in a recent order to DAVIDs. I haven’t had this tea in a long time since I’ve been going through my mint teas slowly. Apparently they reformulated this tea with apple, but it wasn’t in my sample at all. Either way I love the original: very strong peppermint taste with what I assume to be eucalyptus, and a hint of citrus. Great even as a regular tea, but I know it’ll be good for illness too. I don’t know if I’ll like the reformulated version as much, but I will eventually repurchase and do a tasting note.

Flavors: Eucalyptus, Mint

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 5 g 20 OZ / 600 ML

I love strong mints. I think “Altoids” mints are an absolute joke, and don’t find them curiously strong at all. I’m crazy about Super-Mints that you can get from MUJI (a Japanese company) and if I had to compare Cold 911 to other pitiful mint teas that I’ve had, this is the “Super-Mint” of all mint teas.

The dry leaves smell amazing because of the eucalyptus and it is just as fabulous when it is steeped. There is a tiny hint of citrus, but only a bit. The juniper berries don’t really add anything to the tea, but it amuses me since it makes me think of Gin when I see them floating around (The French name for juniper is genévrier, from which Gin’s name is derived).

When I have a cold this tea is extremely soothing and the fact that it is caffeine free means that if I want to drink 10 cups a day, I can without getting jittery. It also makes an excellent after-dinner tea.

In an attempt to change this tea up a bit, I added half a teaspoon of pure licorice root (a rare find that I came upon in a teashop a year ago) and it makes this tea absolute magic! If you can get your hands on pure licorice, I highly recommend trying it – it brings out the citrus notes a bit more and I could go on drinking pots and pots of this mix.

Boiling 8 min or more

Wow ! I love the smell of eucalyptus! If you’re sick, that tea will be perfect cause it makes you feel cleaned up and it creates a fresh feeling in your mouth and throat and even in the oeasophagus! lol! I tasted it at the boutique and i bought some!

Okay, so. To start off, I don’t have a cold. I’m just trying to clear out a bunch of my old teas with only 1-2 cups left (or in this case, a random davidstea sample from an online order). I picked this one because it’s a herbal infusion, and I can’t do caffeine at this hour unless I want to be up all night.

So, I rip open the packet and dump the whole 5g into my strainer and the first thing that hits me is the smell of Vick’s vapo rub. This has eucalyptus oil…and peppermint…because it’s for clearing out your sinuses…when you have a cold…thus…the name…Cold 911…I’m an idiot.

After being brewed you can smell a bit of the orange and some of the super mentholated smell dies down but yeah…this tastes exactly as it sounds like it would taste, and there’s really not much reason to drink this aside from needing to clear out your sinuses when you have a cold (@myself duh!!!!!). I dumped this and to be honest, I’d probably rather huff vapo rub than try to drink this again.

I want to say I have tried a sample of this before, but it was so long ago that I don’t remember. Feeling a little blah today and figured it would be a good time to give it another go. It has a nice deep menthol like feel, likely from the eucalyptus. The first cup was okay, but not amazing. The second steeping was getting close to awful. It has this savory taste that makes me think of broth, not tea. It has a weird smell that makes me thing of meat a second before I sip it. I have no idea what the association was about, but it is a bit of a turn off. Mmmmmm meat tea!

Thanks for reviewing this, Dustin! I bet the juniper contributed to the weird smell. I consider juniper a fairly outré choice for an anti-cold herbal tea blend; most herbal medicine references I’ve found consider it a liver detox/anti-fart thing. My favorite tea for fighting a cold is Yogi’s Cold Season, which has a touch of valerian (nicely veiled by high-powered aromatics like clove, ginger, eucalyptus, cinnamon, and black pepper), which makes it a great tea to drink about two hours before bedtime. I find I don’t particularly enjoy it unless I am fighting/do have a cold, however — wouldn’t recommend it for sipping pleasure.

I bet you are right about the juniper being the culprit. I can imagine it working well in the turkey soup I’m working on too!
I like the idea of hidden valerian in a bed time tea! I’ll have to keep a look out for that.

Dustin, how did the soup turn out?

So good. It is very soothing and delicious. I don’t know that it actually helps with colds but it tastes so good I drink it when I don’t have a cold!

Made this the other day because I didn’t think I could stomach green tea/didn’t want to overload on caffeine and then be unable to sleep. It wasn’t bad, but all I tasted was mint.