Fantasy Island

Fair Trade
Edit tea info Last updated by Andrea

From DAVIDsTEA

Rich, dark, sensual

It’s spring again, time to fall in love. So start steeping this tea. Let the black leaves unfurl, the coconut swirl and the heady scent of raspberry sweep you away. You’ll find yourself on a magical island where the sun always shines except, of course, when the moonlight is reflected on the soft waves and some fabulous admirer is whispering in your ear. Then try it iced. It’s even better.

Ingredients: Fair Trade Certified Black tea, coconut, raspberries, artificial and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Interesting. This is a well loved and I picked it up because many people raved about this tea. I thought I would too, but it’s just ok for me. I am usually not a huge fan of black teas because they are strong for me, so that is probably why I don’t enjoy this one as much as others.

The coconut and raspberry smells amazing though! That’s what got me super excited about this tea. Once steeped, I found that the tea was really bitter and strong (maybe I steeped wrong?). I got a good taste of coconut, but not a recognizable raspberry. I resteeped this tea and it tastes a little better—less bitter.

My office smells like Fantasy Island…mmm I wish it tasted a little less bitter though.

I was sent a sample of this tea with my David’s Tea order. This is a very strong black tea for my taste, and I honestly didn’t get much of a raspberry or coconut flavor from it. I once loved strong black teas. If fact, I remember smashing my English Breakfast tea in the basket trying to get every last bit of flavor from it. This was a good black tea, but not one that suits my tea taste today.

Jenn

Ha! My taste buds were protecting me from certain disappointment. Better I not like what I can’t have :)

Because, clearly, I’m not reviewing this enough. (But it’s one of their newest, so that makes it okay, right?)

I resteeped my leaves from earlier to see if this is the exception that proves my never-resteep-black rule, and it seems it is – I kind of forgot about it, so it was steeping for about ten minutes, and it’s incredibly strong (and just a teensy bit bitter from oversteeping), but it’s actually the best cup of this that I’ve had so far! The steeping time should definitely be on the longer side; this tea just seems to get better with strength!

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

So I picked this up the other day when I was at DavidsTea since it smelled so tasty. Toasty coconut with a hint of fruit. Despite my original intention, the clerk managed to convince me to get an ounce of this when I’d originally wanted only a half ounce…..I should’ve stayed with what I wanted originally. /sigh/

Steeped this smells heavily like coconut, with no hint of fruit. And it tastes just like coconut…and nothing else. Which is unfortunate because it smelled so nice dry. Toasty coconut, which is nice if you like that sort of taste. Though the black tea is rather bitter under it. I should’ve just steeped it at my usual 3 minutes rather than listening to what the package said. Though I’m not sure I’d’ve liked this even without the bitterness.

This is just too pure coconutty for me. I guess I know better now that coconut isn’t really my favorite taste. Maybe I’ll try to mix some of this with one of the pineapple blacks that I have to see if that does anything for it. That may help me get through what I have (along with swapping) but I’m not going to order this one again. But it was nice to try anyway.

Definitely one I’d recommend to anyone who likes coconut, though I wouldn’t count on tasting any fruit in this. Lol.

Another back from the dead tea!

the dry leaves smell like a buttery croissant very comforting this is promissing…

steeped it smella like a raspbery danish, yumm.. the liqueur has a nice redish tint.

Time to Taste: buttery, rich black tea and a little tartness from the raspberries i like it!

So it’s the middle of winter and I get a sudden craving….odd….but I still have a little bit left in my tin, so I gave in :P
I made this into a latte and OHMYGOLLYGOODNESS! I’m upping my rating from 74. I can really taste the coconut a whole lot more when milk is added. It brings it out major time! But the raspberry is still there, yays! I made it roughly two parts tea and one part 2% milk, frothed of course, and a bit of brown sugar.
This is so good as a latte, I squeed when I realized this was one of the ones DT brought back! Guess who’s refilling their tin tomorrow >D

Edit: Also, I think I just used to suck at resteeping black teas. On my first note I was disgusted with any further steepings when it came to this tea, but now……now it can work c:

I made a Fantasy Island latte this afternoon, with some milk heated in a pot plus a dash of maple sugar, (frothed by hand with a whisk :P)
I can’t believe I have never tried this before! Somehow the milk being frothed makes a huge difference (plus the very tiny hint of maple) . I made a bit too much milk and didn’t want to waste it, so the tea part is not as bold as some may like. But it’s still delicious – definitely something I’ll make again with this tea!

When I first heard of David’s Tea it was only in Canada. Two summers ago, while we were vacationing, I visited a location in Banff. That was in the middle of my tea hiatus, though, so it was sort of a weird one-off experience. I remember thinking the store was lovely and the tiny sample of tea I tasted, which I think was a jasmine green, was also lovely.

Fast forward to 2014 and my re-entry into tea. Come to find out, there is a David’s a few towns north of us now, in Burlingame, CA. Today we were running errands up and down the peninsula and stopped in.

First I have to congratulate myself: I did not walk out of there with any tea except the cup of this I bought. It took a Herculean effort not to rattle off my wish list to the salesperson, but I restrained myself and bought only a few tea ware items. No. 2 tried the Birthday Cake iced (it ended up being too much for him to finish), the BF had Redberry Tonic iced (he loves hibiscus, go figure) and I had this.

It being my first experience of buying hot tea at David’s, I did not realize until much later that there was actually a teabag in the cup. I guess I had the cup turned the wrong way and didn’t see the string, which was tucked under a paper wrapper around the cup, and when I did, I wasn’t sure what it was. I figured they’d use loose leaf in the preparation. Anyway, that bag stayed in there much too long. So I have to mentally discount for that and for the paper drinking vessel.

After doing so, I thought this was quite good. The raspberry seemed just right. The coconut was tasty and mixed nicely with the raspberry, but struck me as a little too much and a little too sweet. I wonder whether that was because of the over-steeping? It had the aspect of a dessert tea, and I think if I was going to try it again, I’d do so as a dessert substitute. I would like to try it again without the over-steeping and in a non-paper cup.

This tea blew my mind. I’ve had it on my list for a long while now, but never really thought it appealed to me as much as other davids flavors. I was at DT today and wanted a latte, the girl working said to try fantasy island. I said yes I will try it! And then I was taken to a magical tropical awesome place. The latte was FANTASTIC let me tell you! I had to venture back to davidstea to get 50g after having my latte. Mmmmmm so delish. I’m thinking ill have to get a tin of this :) YUM!!

This is definitely my most favorite tea! If you are a coconut lover and looking for a black tea to give you both energy and to give you that general feeling of warmth and happiness then you should try this one! I drink this most mornings and this is a good every day tea for me. Dry it smells amazing, I always end up breathing this one in for a bit before I actually drink it. The steeped tea smells delicious but it’s more muted than the dry smell. It’s kind of a dark and heavy full-bodied black tea, with predominantly coconut flavors with a raspberry aftertaste. I agree with the other teas that this one is easy to oversteep. It says to steep it for 4-5 minutes I think… and I think this one would taste the best more around the 3.5 minute range. I usually end up oversteeping everything and this one when oversteeped and black can have a slight astringent taste to it. I find when I use Dvaid’s Tea vanilla agave nectar it counteracts this and sweetens it up. I usually add about a teaspoon of the vanilla nectar to this tea and it goes together perfectly. It’s also good with a splash of milk, but I find this tea doesn’t need milk to make it taste good. And this morning I sadly discovered that I only had about a teaspoon left of this (seems someone’s been raiding my stash) soo I added half a teaspoon of David’s Chocolate Cake (which is also a black) and it actually went together really nicely. Like a chocolate raspberry and coconut truffle. Hope this was helpful! Happy Canada Day :)
tigress_al

Yum. That sounds good. I might have to try that combination.