Fantasy Island

Fair Trade
Edit tea info Last updated by Andrea

From DAVIDsTEA

Rich, dark, sensual

It’s spring again, time to fall in love. So start steeping this tea. Let the black leaves unfurl, the coconut swirl and the heady scent of raspberry sweep you away. You’ll find yourself on a magical island where the sun always shines except, of course, when the moonlight is reflected on the soft waves and some fabulous admirer is whispering in your ear. Then try it iced. It’s even better.

Ingredients: Fair Trade Certified Black tea, coconut, raspberries, artificial and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Yet again, I’ve found myself sniffing teas. This one’s amazing. A heavy dose of coconut and a touch of raspberry make for a smooth scent that really does make me feel like I’m on an island: just as David’s Tea promised.

Without sweetener, this tea is a tad bitter. I steeped it for the max time: 6 minutes, so I’ll probably just steep for 4 minutes next time. The raspberry is dominated by the other ingredients, so much so that I can barely tell it’s there. But the coconut still finds its way out. It’s as good as coconut gets: smooth, strong, lingering on your tongue… But since I’m finding the tea a little bitter, I’ll add honey. Although it’s sweeter, I feel like the honey actually distracts from the coconut, which is a shame.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with this tea. I love coconut, so that’s probably a huge reason why. Next time, I’ll be sure to cut my steeping time. And I’ll be sure to try this iced, I’ve heard it’s delicious!

I think I got some of the last in the canister – my leaves are quite small. Nevertheless, the taste is really nice. With milk and sugar it reminds me of some type of candy or snack. Dry, the raspberry comes through most, but steeped the coconut comes out a bit more. There isn’t as much raspberry as I thought there would be, but it works nicely with the coconut to keep things from being too tart or too smooth.

Went and had a cup of this at DT today.

Upon sipping (even after waiting a good 10 mins), I gracefully immediately scalded my mouth hereby ruining any chance of me actually being able to taste anything properly for days. Fun. Besides that, though, what I could get was distinct raspberry notes. Very raspberry. Reminded me a bit of a truffle. Coconut made it’s welcome appearance as well, finishing the sip. Mmm. Tropical.

I’m sure it would have been 10 times as wonderful if my mouth wasn’t numb.

This tea is nice and rich but I wish there was a little less coconut and a little more raspberry. Other than that, it’s a nice dessert tea and I’m glad Davids brought it back!

To go today is Fantasy Island. I am enjoying my cup of tea! The raspberry is not overpowering the coconut, and I loooove coconut in my tea. I would definitely get some of this to take home.. perhaps next week :)

This tea has been be my current all time favorite. The first think you notice when you open up the bag is the smell of coconut. Its a sweet smell and something that brings me back to our holiday in Hawaii when my daughter was given a fresh coconut from the chief who was visiting our resort. I used it to make nice coconut smoothies and this tea reminds me of that.

The first few seconds after I placed my tea ball into my travel mug I noticed right away that a nice caramel colouring started.

After 4 mins and 30 seconds I added my sugar and milk. This made a lovely cream caramel colour.

The feelings I get with this tea are very lovely because of the memories it digs up. It makes me feel warm and happy, even giving me a soothing and whimsical feeling of being on the beach listening to the ocean splashing at the shore. The taste with this tea is amazing. I do not notice much of the raspberries, but they are there. The coconut is very strong in this tea so if your not a coconut fan I would not suggest you try this.

I did notice that adding the milk in it you get an almost smoothy like taste to it. I use skim milk in everything I think and I think if you added a high fat milk like 2% or higher you would increase this smoothy taste.

As for the black tea, you do get a good under tone of it. Its not bitter at all.

All in all I love this tea and can not praise it enough, even my 2 year old son enjoys this tea, though I do limit his in take due to the caffeine in it. I would highly suggest trying this tea, you will not be disappointed.

Word of caution, do not over steep. I found that the one time I did this the black tea made it very bitter. The same goes for under steeping it, you will just get a very bland taste. This tea does not “need” any kind of sweetener but if you are to add some I would advise against honey as you would add in a whole new level of flavor doing that.

This is quite possibly one of my most favourite teas, particularly from David’s Tea. The coconut is rich and creamy, and the tea itself has a gentle sweetness that needs very little added sweetener.

I’m careful to not let my black tea steep too long lest it get bitter (like they tend to do) but if you’re good to it, it’s a beautiful, warm cup that will be a treat on a cold morning. The raspberry is really subtle, it just tastes creamy and rich with a hint of fruit.

Fantasy Island was not as big of a Fantasy for me as I thought it would be, the tea was originally part of Davids spring collection I believe it was; however it was brought on as a full time tea I am assuming due to popularity. This is another good one for coconut lovers.

Dry this tea will look a lot like Stormy Night; however instead of chunks of chocolate it has chunks of raspberry. Coconut flakes are just as prevalent as in stormy night. It has a nice soft coconut and berry smell to it that remains throughout steeping. Brewing this tea will reward you with a dark aromatic brew again quite similar to Stormy Night expect minus the cinnamon this time around.

The final brew is moderately delicious I found it required sweetening to be up to my standards; however as I have mentioned before I have a slightly overly active sweet tooth. I generally do not add milk to my tea’s; however I found this one more enjoyable with a small splash of 2%.

Push comes to shove this is a good tea, I am not sure where it sits in my book as I do drink it daily but it isn’t one I have grown to love or hate so its still up in the air if I will replace this tin when it runs out. But certainly worth grabbing a sample pack to try out and see if it is worth it for you.

TIP: Mix equal parts of Stormy Night and Fantasy Island and steep for 4 minutes at 96*C and enjoy yourself a cup of my own creation, I call it “A Stormy Night on Fantasy Island” the girls at the local Davids got a kick out of that. It tastes great mostly because the teas are so similar that it works out great.

How can you go wrong with coconut and raspberries together? This is a really delicious tea with the coconut and raspberry flavours very prominent, but not hiding the tea itself – I love it in the morning or at night, with a bit of milk.

I worked in a mall that had this store and I’ve tried many flavours before it. This the first DavidsTea that I got in an 100 gram tin! The sales girl sold me on it when she made it into a soy latte (with a teensy agave for the foam, yummy marshmallowy goodness). It was so good that it had me go out and get myself a milk frother just so I could recreate the latte at home. Must try it iced next time!