Mulberry Magic

Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Anlina

From DAVIDsTEA

Soothing and smoothing

People have been buzzing about mulberry leaves for all sorts of reasons lately, but we just can’t stop talking about how good they taste. Combined with macadamia nuts, they make for a tea that is sweet, complex, and slightly earthy. Do they really have tons of other benefits, as the health freaks claim? We’re too happy to care. Caffeine-free. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Mulberry leaf, organic macadamia nuts, natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I’m in the process of moving (have been for nearly a month now – yuck), so I’m not allowing any new teas into the house. No swaps, no purchases, no orders.. nothing. It doesn’t make for many interesting tasting notes.

Just drinking down teas that I already have – and have therefore already reviewed. Like this tisane: it’s good. Mild, buttery, and I can actually taste macadamia nuts. Or maybe it’s just macadamia “flavoring,” since there didn’t seem to be many nut pieces in my scoop; either way, it’s delish.

Ugh, I hate packing.

CHAroma

Ugh, I feel your pain. We’re still trying to unpack after our last move and it’s just agony. We have too much stuff and there’s no where to put anything!

This is delicious. I always forget that I have it, since it was one of the first samples Courtney sent me. It’s sweet but light and it’s caffeine-free and since I’m not feeling great, I wanted to stick to no caffeine this evening. This is perfect.

Emily M

I love this one, especially when I’m feeling under the weather. Hope you feel better!

Making this for the drive to school. Always a lovely cuppa.

But the spring collection is online now! If I didn’t have a biology lab this morning I’d be at David’s picking up all the new teas and a purple elephant mug! But I shall be there this afternoon. I’m so excited for the new teas. Especially Coconut Oolong. And some purple elephants to match my blue birds.

whatshesaid

That’s totally why I’m going at lunch! Elephant mug and coconut oolong :)

haha saaaame here. well on the elephant mug :)

I didn’t have time to log this tea the first couple of times I had it, but when I first tried it I had no expectations. That is possibly why I enjoyed it so much? Sometimes I find it almost impossible for a tea to live up to some of the rave reviews.

This is another herbal (no caffeine) love for me that I can drink at any time.

I know nothing about mulberries, other than having tried a different Davids tea a while ago that contained some of the dried mulberries and eating one out of that pack. I made a cup of this tea for my Dad and step-mom, when they visited, and they said they enjoyed it. I drank it plain, and they both drank it with a touch of honey.

For some reason, this tea reminds me of Davids cookie dough tea, but I’m not sure why -they don’t have a single ingredient in common. They both have smooth light nutty tastes, and I was pleasantly surprised that this one doesn’t have the tartness that frequently accompanies berry teas.

This tea is a definite repurchase for me.

Shmiracles

i have a sample of this, and since reading your post i think i’ll try to drink it tomorrow :)
or tonight…

canadianadia

Oh I hope I didn’t over hype it. I really do like it though, so I hope it a winner for your taste-buds also – cheers!

TheTeaFairy

canadianadia, you did not over hype, it’s one of my permanent DT collection that makes the repurchasing list over and over again… I still don’t understand how they could induce so much flavor into it, how buttery and nutty and creamy! I rarely put milk in anything, but this one I like with a bit of soy milk, but it stands superb on its own… Shmiracles, what are you waiting for? Open that sample already!

Shmiracles

smooth!
light!
nutty!
buttery to all hell!
cheers to you both and your awesome recommendation.

Thanks Pureleaf for this sample.

Dry smell: This tea smells wonderful. It has a slight hint of an orange oolong smell. The most dominant smell is that of cherry and chocolate. It smells EXACTLY like the cherry hershey kisses they sell around christmas. It’s a very sweet very deep smell.

Wet smell: This still has the deep cherry chocolate hershey kisses smell

Taste: This tea is really sweet. It has a creamy taste but it’s not the chocolate flavor that I smelled. I can taste a fruitiness that reminds me of how some liquors smell. It is very syrupy. Overall a pretty good tea but it is a little too sweet and fruity for me

This is an odd beastie of a team isn’t it?! The leaves are very dark green, and brewed almost purple-ish. The liquor itself is also an odd greenish purple too. I may have over-steeped this one a bit…I got sidetracked, but I think it is ok. I think I may have caught it at that upper time limit. Still a bit too hot to taste, but what I can taste briefly is so hard to explain. I may have to come back in and edit this with a more precise description of the taste.

EDIT: Ok, so taste…it’s still really hard to peg. Herbally or vegetal. A shorter steep might bring more nuttiness to the foreground.

Jury is out whether I will get more. I am looking at it from a medicinal tea position, and it isn’t bad…it might be good iced with warmer weather, or blended with something else (though what, I’m not sure…it was not terribly amazing with toasted walnut, but not horrible either).

tigress_al

try it as a tea latte, it is great in my opinion. I find that the steamed milk really brings out the macadamia nut flavour

Amariel

Yeah? I’d never thought to try this one as a latte. I bet soy or almond milk would be best, yes?

tigress_al

I just tried it with regular milk, but I bet almond milk would be great

Lynne-tea

Try putting it in a tea sac! I know it seems weird and I thought so too, but it’s actually delightful and tastes like vanilla cake (to me).

Thank you Emily M for a sample of this. What a surprisingly yummy treat! This is definitely going on my list next time I make a David’s order. Perfect for after dinner. Thanks again Emily!

Tealizzy

Put this on the shopping list to try out when I’m at DavidsTea again. I’m desperately searching for a caffeine free tea that I love! I haven’t found it yet, but we’ll see.

TastyBrew

This is the first one for me. I never like the herbals very much. I wasn’t too optimistic about this one, but its really good. A little nutty and a little sweet. I think you’d like it!

Emily M

You’re welcome! Glad you enjoyed it. I’m actually having some tonight… really nice cuppa when I’m sick.

Marcel Duchamp

I had this tonight too. haha. Its a Mulberry party.

I wasn’t interested in this tea.
Like not even a little.
Mulberry Magic? There is nothing about that name that thrills me.
But it was the tea of the day today with Carrot Cake (which I was hoping was in the little shot glass I was handed) so I tried it.
YUMMY YUM! I couldn’t quite identify the taste, but when the girl behind the counter at the David’s in Polo Park said, “Cake batter,” that was 100 percent correct. I had baked a cake less than 24 hours prior — a fluffy from-scratch yellow cake to make my daughter’s 2-year birthday cake — and that was totally the taste I was getting.
I was there to buy Forever Nuts and Pumpkin Chai and accidentally also walked out with 50g of Mulberry Magic.
Now it’s on my terms. Steeped a touch heavy (a little over 1/2 Tbsp for my 12oz mug), but since I enjoyed it so much in the store, I will be drinking it naked.
I want to stick my finger in the steeper and lick that flavour off. It smells like it should be thick, dripping and contain raw eggs. (Those are all good characteristics.) The tea, too, smells like it will be shocking to drink a liquid instead of a batter.

Ooh, it tastes way different at home. It’s a little hotter and a little heavier. And it tastes like booze! As a pregnant lady, I really appreciate that. It tastes like some fancy after-dinner drink in a fancy restaurant where you’d be all, “Wow, this is delicious. I think I’ll make this at home for guests,” but you never do. THIS I would serve to guests.
I can see craving this around Christmas. And I can see making this Christmas morning to open presents.
So delish.

Slippers: check
Outside: dark
Listening to: work. And the INCOMPARABLE Mike Tompkins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtBeobpTcmk

Indigobloom

Congratulations Heather!!
I never thought about it that way(cake batter)… my supply is gone so now I wish I had some to try again!

I was really looking forward to trying this tea, as I’m still searching for a perfect evening tea. The dry leaf smelled sweet and nutty. How can anyone not like that? Once steeped, I was a little taken aback by how green the tea was! It’s dark green! Okay, so I’m sure there are other teas that are dark green, but I’ve not had any. The green teas I’ve had we’re actually more yellow. Anyway, it was VERY GREEN. After one sip I decided to add sugar. I do have a sweet tooth! The taste at first was a little different than what I’m used to, but as I continued to sip, I started to like it more. It is sweet and nutty, but I think the fact that it’s mulberry leaves and not traditional tea leaves is throwing me off. I reserve full judgement until my next cup! ;)

TastyBrew

I had this last night too! Mine tasted pretty sweet and didn’t turn green at all just a light yellow. I wonder if I’m drinking something else???

Tealizzy

That’s weird! There are two teas with mulberries it it. I think the other is gold rush. I steeped this one for 4 minutes, and it was definitely green!

TastyBrew

Did it have macadamia nuts in it?

Kittenna

^^ This tea doesn’t actually contain mulberries, only Gold Rush and Caramel Spice do. It’s just mulberry leaves here. As for the colour (and flavour), I really think it just depends on the leaf:water ratio and infusion time. I’ve had both rather light/yellow cups, and also those that are a darker green; the leaves are kind of curly so sometimes even 1.5tsp isn’t necessarily the same amount of leaf.