Countess of Seville (organic)

Green Tea
Bergamot Oil, Cornflower Petals, Green Tea, Orange Oil, Orange Peel
Bergamot, Orange Zest, Earl Grey, Green, Orange Blossom, Lemon, Citrus, Soap
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Kosher, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by De

• “This is yet another tea that we purchased, sampled once or twice and promptly lost in the back of the cupboard. I decided to try this again today at switchboard because the aroma was SO appealing!...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 709 tasting notes
  • “Got this iced and to-go when I found myself in DAVIDs. I went to the mall to buy gloves and somehow that resulted with me buying more tea. I almost grabbed 10 g of this but tbh, I am glad I...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 3009 tasting notes
  • “And I’m one cup away from a sipdown of this. :( Too bad as this is a green that I can get behind! I’m rewatching Doctor Who now that it’s on netflix, but Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1779 tasting notes
  • “I haven’t tried an Earl Grey green before, but I’ve heard good things! So, I picked up a sample of this back in June when I visited DAVIDsTEA in New York City and have held on to it ever since. ...” Read full tasting note
    CHAroma 634 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Sweet orange

There are so many rumours about Earl Grey and his gallivanting ways. We like this one, about a trip he took to Spain. It’s said he fell for the Countess of Seville, a beautiful, dark-haired woman with a penchant for oranges. But did he really woo her with this green tea scented with bergamot and orange oil, cornflowers and orange zest? Either way, it’s a sweet, romantic twist on his original recipe.

Ingredients: Organic: green tea (Zhejiang Province, China), orange peel, cornflowers. With orange and bergamot oil.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I love Earl Grey tea and most assorted variations of it. Something about the citrusy bergamot serves to wake me up in the morning and soothe me in the evening after a day of work. This is the first green tea Earl Grey that I have tried, and I have to say I like it!

The scent of this tea from the bag is very strong and it’s all ORANGE orange ORANGE. You can smell the orange peel and orange fruit and maybe a slight hint of muskiness from the green tea leaves. After brewing the scent tones down a bit, making it more similar to typical Earl Greys. The color from this tea is not very strong, it looks like any old green tea (pardon me while green tea enthusiasts cough and beg to differ). The taste of the tea is amazingly like Earl Grey. If someone handed me a cup blind, I would proclaim it delicious and request they steep it slightly longer because it is missing the black tea undertones. The green tea leaves act as a carrier for all the orangey bergamot, you cannot taste the green tea at all – and yet the taste is different than if one had simply stuck a couple orange peels or drops of bergamot oil into a teapot of water. The green tea gives it body, but goes completely undetected. The ingredient list mentions cornflowers, which you can kind of see in the loose tea, but I don’t taste them at all. Granted, I don’t really know what they’re supposed to taste like.

The second steeping was just as good as the first, but by the third it started to lose flavor. All in all, delicious! It won’t replace my staple black tea Earl Greys, but it’s a nice addition to my collection. I believe it has less caffeine than my black teas, which could come in handy.

{Backlogged Review}

The Countess took me by surprise. I bought it on a whim as I was trying to break out of my tea-drinking preferences, and I’m glad I did. It is so mild and delicate, and yet a lovely cup to sit and sip when I’m doing my morning emails or flipping through a book at night. The orange notes are definitely there, blending seamlessly with the green tea to make a lovely cup that I reached for more often than I expected. I’m already out and will definitely be stocking up again.

5/24
horray! another citrusy green to add to my collection. what a wonderful combo.
nice, light green flavour with a hit of citrus.
definitely adding to my shopping list!

Not an earl grey fan, but I didn’t find this tea too terrible. What I really liked was the citrus note to make this tea nicer to drink. I don’t have much to say about this one lol

This is a wonderful light and refreshing alternative to the classic Earl Grey. The dry leaves are strongly aromatic of bergamot with a hint of orange zest. Once steeped the bergamont is dominant with just a fleeting taste of orange. Be careful not to steep too long or hot or it can be bitter/astringent.

Flavors: Bergamot, Orange Zest

#ProjectTeaWall

Just stopping in briefly to report another tea checked off the tea wall. This is another that falls into that category of “didn’t try because it was a green tea”. As I sip on it now I’m feeling a little bit “take it or leave it” about it. It’s essentially just Earl Grey with a green tea base; and the bergamot flavouring while nice is nothing special either. I’d say a nice, medium body overall. Very citrus-y. With the green base it’s a little more refreshing than a black base would be. Has somewhat of a “fresher” feeling, I guess.

As someone who’s not a huge lover of green tea or Earl Grey I’d say it’s never gonna be a blend I’m going to want to stock personally but I definitely see the market this one appeals to.

Not going to lie I’m super distracted right now though – following the election on Slack teachat with a whole bunch of people. I feel like I’ve been holding my breath for hours. Of course, that’s not the case but it’s a tense, tense night regardless. I can only imagine how those actually in The States feel right now. The fact it’s this close right now is so terrifying though. It shouldn’t be this close. One way or another history will be made; but will it be for a positive reason or a horrifying one?

Come join us if you want to talk politics. Scary, terrifying politics…

Friendly reminder that currently I’m not numerically rating DAVIDsTEA blends as I am seasonally employed by DT and therefore there is an obvious conflict of interest.

Mookit

Oh it’s over. The writing is on the wall by now. Sad day imo.

GROSS! I found it tastes like what orange cleaner smells like.

Finally, a David’s tea full of bergamot flavouring! The David’s Earls I’ve tried so far disappointed me with their strong floral flavours, but this is bursting with bergamot.

Flavors: Bergamot

Boiling 7 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 17 OZ / 500 ML

Oh, how I love this tea! I have always loved Earl Grey teas but have been getting easily burned out by them as of late. They either have been coming off as too perfumey to me or overly astringent so I have been avoiding them… All the while kind of craving them. So when I smelled Countess of Seville the last time I was in DAVIDs, I crossed my fingers, held my breath, and picked up 50g.

Dry leaf: fresh orange zest, fresh orange juice, bergamot, green tea
Liquor: orange zest, subtle bergamot, subtle green tea notes
Tasting notes: fresh & lively orange, soft bergamot

This tea is a perfect alternative to classic Earl Grey! The green tea base makes the entire cup so much fresher & the orange oil brings a super welcome brightness, all the while you’re still picking up on the bergamot nuances. You really get the Earl Grey inspiration but it’s such a lively cup. Mmm… Definitely keeping this in my tea cupboard.

Flavors: Bergamot, Earl Grey, Green, Orange Blossom, Orange Zest

I love the combination of bergamot and green tea! Delightful.

Flavors: Bergamot, Lemon