Matcha Genmaicha

Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

2 Images

From DAVIDsTEA

ORIGINAL DESCRIPTION:

This is one of those happily-ever-after stories. First, some genius came up with the idea of putting roasted brown rice and sencha green tea together to make genmaicha. And then another genius thought, ‘Why not add a little matcha and see what happens?’ Here’s what happens: you get a totally fabulous tea that’s deeper in taste and colour, and higher in antioxidants. Nice!

NEW (2017) DESCRIPTION:

We love a good classic as much as the next tea lover. But sometimes we like to mix things up a bit. Take this iconic Genmaicha tea – a staple in every Japanese household since World War II. We love its comforting flavours of roasted popped brown rice and green tea so much we decided to supercharge them. How? With a light dusting of energizing matcha for extra body and flavour. Think buttery, lively and delicious. Pop, pop and away!

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Not the best Matcha I have tried, but still decent. My main factor was that I just think it was too pricey for the amount given. Definitely better options out there that aren’t as costly.

I had a cup of this tea at the store on 3rd ave in NYC after Zumba class.
It was very relaxing to me and the taste was nice.

When I found Genmaicha Tea, I thought nothing would ever beat it! I love green tea, but the warm and toasty rice pushed my enjoyment way up. Genmaicha was created by Poor Japanese who added the toasted rice to their tea as a filler and to make it less costly. The unique flavour has caught on and it is now enjoyed by people like me! And now, you’ve taken my favourite tea and added matcha to it! If you don’t know, matcha is a fine powder that gives things like mochi and green tea ice cream their flavour! Matcha is high in – well – everything good!! Lots of antioxidents, and high in caffeine content, Matcha is a great energy provider. When you add it to Genmaicha the result is one healthy, warm, comforting, energizing, yummy cup of tea!

#ProjectTeaWall

So, I didn’t realize until literally just now looking up this tea here on Steepster, but I guess this isn’t a “new” tea like I thought it was. This was, I guess, re-released with the Matcha Collection that came out earlier in the month. Since the PLU# on the back of the tin was a new one and not an older number I just made the assumption it was a new tea and not a returning one.

My guess, and it is just a guess, is that because we’re selling this with a completely new description and it has an updated PLU# (normally returning teas are listed under their old numbers not given new numbers) is just that it’s been reformulated enough that it can’t be considered the same blend anymore – though it looks like the same ingredients to me. Just a theory…

Anyway, that’s a lot of exposition.

Basically, I did really like this tea and I was certainly quite excited for it. However, as someone who really enjoys Genmaicha because of the roasty flavour of it I have to say that I do prefer the normal Genmaicha. It’s just that this is essentially the same thing but more vegetal/grassy, and with a higher price tag. Also, I like that Genmaicha is relatively low caffeine which makes it nice for night time – but the added matcha makes this somewhat more caffeinated. So, an enjoyable drink overall but given the option I lean more towards the other one we’re currently offering.

Great green tea. I’ve always enjoyed adding roasted brown rice to the mix. Very relaxing cup!

i love this tea ..it is every morning wake up call so sorry they dont sell it anymore and i have to mix my own :(

Tried this again with a lower temperature. It definitely tastes better than the first time around, resteep again was good. Upping my rating on this one. You need to use more than that 1 teaspoon they tell you to use. I really wish that they used a higher quality sencha on this and more matcha. Could’ve been something wonderful.