Crème de Menthe

Herbal Pu-erh Blend
Cinnamon, Licorice, Mint, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Woo! My tea from Herbal Infusions came in today, and I also got my huge mystery stash package from *Janelle*. It had a lot of teas from DAVIDs in it that I'd never tried, so I'm pretty excited to...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1680 tasting notes
  • “Argh, still have another cup of this left! Anyhow, although I'm not a fan of minty teas in general, I figured I'd put some effort towards drinking down some of my 2011 Advent Calendar samples, and...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2244 tasting notes
  • “Thanks Daisy Chubb I am afraid tho It smells like, dirt, fish, and spearmint. It looks like tar. The amount of mint flavor-wise is MUCH appreciated...it sits well on the tongue. Any less I...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “I am on a mission to drink up some of the smaller samples I have so that my tea cupboard will be a tidier collection of teas that I actually want to have around, instead of samples that I keep...” Read full tasting note
    jessiwrites 286 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Dark and nouveau-chic

It’s time to go retro and return this flavour to its rightful place as the Queen of Liqueurs. Are you ready to succumb to its charms? Our version is a rich, dark blend of organic pu’erh tea and peppermint, sweetened with all the creaminess of organic Madagascar vanilla, licorice and cinnamon. It’s as delicious as the original, only you can drink it everyday, all day. Now, that’s decadent.

Ingredients: Organic: Pu-erh (cooked, Shou type), cinnamon, peppermint, licorice root, vanilla bean.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Quite possibly my favourite mint tea AND my favourite pu’ehr, all in one cup! Rich, creamy, full-bodied tea with a sweet minty flavour. I absolutely despise licorice, and can’t detect any licorice in the flavour (yay!). Adding a bit of milk makes it taste like the base of chocolate chip mint ice cream t do what I did and add the liqueur to the tea, it makes it way too strong, almost to the point of being undrinkable. oops!)

When you open the tin of dry tea, a waft of creamy mint overloads your senses – in a good way! It reminds me of those red and white swirl peppermint candies that dominate the holiday season.

Brewed, this tea is dark, earthy and rich in colour. The distinct smell of peppermint swirls about this murky yet intense liquid.

Sipping on this tea, you definitely taste the lush, earthy taste of the cooked pu’reh on your tastebuds, more than any of other flavours. The peppermint hits you like an afterthought in the back of your mouth, softened by the vanilla undertones and making you gently aware of the hollow of your throat, as if it has encompassed it in a soft embrace.

If you are not a fan of peppermint, this tea is not for you. If you don’t enjoy pu’reh, again, not for you.

I added a squirt of agave part way through my large tumbler, to see how the flavours might be enhanced. I found it brought out the delicate creaminess more. This would be a great tea to bake with.

This was good, creamy and minty. I like anything minty so it was good for me. I like that you can resteep this tea multiple times and the taste holds up farely well.

Yeurk, for my taste, this one is nasty… I just tried it for the first time. I so agree with Uniquity, the smell is exactly as she described, a fishy-doggy-muddy kind of smell… the taste is is not as bad, but it’s so weird that I can’t describe it. It certainly tastes nothing like creme de menthe! It’s actually the only tea I’ve ever tasted that I really hate!!
It’s such a disappointment, I ordered it online and the kitsch idea of a «creme de menthe» tea was really appealing to me. The smell in the bag is not bad, but once you steep it, oh boy… I hate wasting, so I have yet to try it cold, maybe that ugly fragrance fades away on ice…will give update on that later :o)

OH NO this tea will be gone soon… with all its smooth creamy minty joys… gotta stock up, or I’ll regret it :C

Hmm, so this is my first taste of a pu-erh tea, which means that I don’t have another to compare it to. Regardless, In terms of taste, this tea was not for me. It was very “muddy” tasting for lack of a better word when combined with milk and a little sugar. Perhaps, I’m not as big a fan of mint tea as I had previously thought, but this did not rub me the right way….

This was not what I expected, it fell flat that’s for sure. There was certainly mint in this tea, but that’s all I could taste. I had this hot, and from the store.

this is the first tea from the advent calendar i would actually buy. well, this time of year, anyway. green & fruity might be good for summer. but i digress.

this tea is delicious. it’s my first pu’erh and i will definitely try more.

I definitely catch the licorice and cinnamon in this… which I thought was unusual for a mint tea. But I didn’t get the vanilla much at all.

I’m a huge mint fan. Spearmint, peppermint, wintermint, whatever. I love it. Not so convinced I love this tea. It steeped to a dark color almost like coffee. It smelled almost… heady, but with an after-taste of mint. I can attest that when I first opened the tin, it totally hit me as “smelling like Christmas”. Once brewed, I didn’t mind it, and I finished my mug, but it didn’t leave me with the refreshing sensation of my usual favorite mint teas. And while I typically love cinnamon too, I’m not so sure I like the combination of cinnamon with mint. I can’t say I’ll buy this tea. I have too many other favorite mint teas!

This is my day #3 of the David’s Tea “24 Days of Tea” advent calendar.

The taste and smell of this tea is fairly consistent. I can’t pick up on the vanilla, but I can pick up a bit of cinnamon. Drinking this tea reminds me of eating delicious mint dark chocolate :)