Chocolate Rocket

Fruit Yerba maté Blend
Almond, Artificial Flavouring, Cocoa, Raspberry, Roasted Chicory Root, Yerba Mate Leaves
Almond, Chocolate, Raspberry, Coffee, Dark Bittersweet, Nuts, Roasted, Cocoa, Ash, Caramel, Licorice, Nutmeg, Stonefruits, Taro Root, Berries, Dark Chocolate, Earth
High
Edit tea info Last updated by VariaTEA

• “Breakfast tea with a little Keemun added..... Breakfast today was Oat Bran with dried cranberries, golden raisins, a tbs of half & half and packet of sweetener. It so reminds me of the Cream of...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 972 tasting notes
  • “Bumping up the rating a little because this tea has a permanent place in my cupboard. Drinking my giant travel mug full of this is slightly helping cut through the gloom and doom of this foggy,...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 504 tasting notes
  • “Chocolate rocket. CHOCOLATE rocket! CHOCOLATE ROCKET!! Imagine me running around the house with my arms extended like airplane wings chanting CHOCOLATE ROCKET! The dogs look puzzled and a little...” Read full tasting note
    CraftyVeganJenn 150 tasting notes
  • “Gah, this morning. So my wife and I couldn't fall asleep until 2:30 am or so after we were stood up at Waffle House last night. I woke up this morning and glanced at the digital clock, which read...” Read full tasting note
    ladykittykat 1220 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

The ultimate trip

Need a boost? Try this tea. First you’ll experience a pure, sweet hit of chocolate. Then you’ll find yourself awash in the freshness of raspberries. Followed by the richness of almonds and chicory. And then, bang, you’ll realize you’ve been infused with roasted Brazilian maté. How will you know? It’s what’s giving you all that crazy energy. Just fly with it.

Ingredients: Roasted Yerba maté (Brasil), cocoa, almonds, roasted chicory root, raspberries, natural and artificial flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Holy yum. I’d heard good things about this one, and even though I try to stay away from caffeine (I don’t want to become dependent on it like so many other people I know) I had to try it. Come on, just a little bit! Peer pressure! The first 50 grams are free…

(No, actually they weren’t. Just extending the metaphor.)

Anyway, 50g of this flew to me in a box with some other fall delights yesterday. I opened the bag with some fanfare and breathed in the luxuriant aroma of what to me smells like chocolate-covered raspberries (leaning heavily toward the raspberries). I couldn’t wait to try it, but it was night, you see, and I didn’t want to mess with that.

Morning came with its rosy fingers, and I was ready to try some—and as soon as the water hit the leaf, I was intoxicated. I felt like at that point, all the scent notes separated out, putting space between the chocolate, raspberry, phantom banana (I’m glad I’m not the only one), and the roasty mate. This was going to be good, I can feel it.

And oh, was it. Smooth, seamless intertwining of chocolate and raspberry, with phantom banana swirling in. This is truly one of the most fabulous teas I’ve ever tasted, and it’ll be hard to limit myself to 1 cup a day. (Speaking of which, I was intrigued to see how it would affect me. And I could notice a bit of a peppiness difference, but not anything astronomical. Good to know.)

Yum. Yum. Yum.

I still really dislike this tea. However, I believe it’s worth noting that my officemate adores it. Especially with a shot of Kahlua poured in.

Cavocorax

Ooooh! That’ll fix it!

Oh yea, I can get used to this tea. Let’s just face it, about 75% of tea I have, I don’t like it the first time, until I play around with it. But this tea is my “replacement” coffee.

Bumped up rating.

i’ve tasted a lot of teas today. all for the first time. and they have all been lovely in their own way.
i’m just not feeling very talkative is all.
here have a tiny poem.

Kafka’s Hat
by Richard Brautigan

With the rain falling
surgically against the roof,
I ate a dish of ice cream
that looked like Kafka’s hat.

It was a dish of ice cream
tasting like an operating table
with the patient staring
up at the ceiling.

Chocolate and raspberry is usually a safe combination for me but Chocolate Rocket just…didn’t work for me. I may be just in a bad mood…because I have tried this before and didn’t hate it.

It started out well. The dry tea smells nice. Strong on the chocolate with a nutty background. Raspberry is there too but it’s not the full on assault that it is when the tea is brewed. Brewed though this tea is a completely different story. The chocolate is okay. Taste a bit like those chocolate Lipsmackers from Bonnie Bell. That’s not so good. There is a nice nuttiness from the almonds and the mate. And also some nice roasty coffee like notes from the chicory. But then the raspberry…oh dear the raspberry. It just didn’t work for me. It was a combination of it was too strong and overpowered everything and that it also tasted like lipgloss.

Sometimes things just hit you the wrong way. Perhaps that’s the case with this one. I am going to try it iced to see if it improves—and to burn off the rest of my bag.

Update: Definitely better iced. The nutty and roasty notes come out more but the raspberry still. Still overpowering and still lipgloss.

Day 2: Advent calendar. Honestly I woke up yesterday with a wish for something chocolate. Out of habit I went to my tea shelf to see what I had from David’s to fit the bill. That is until I remembered the Advent calendar I had set in the living room by the Christmas tree. I opened day two and almost gasped in surprise at what was behind the door. My wish answered in the shape of “Chocolate Rocket”.

The first thing that escaped my lips was "Hmm…I have never tried this one before. What luck! After clapping my hands together in a pleased manner off I went to the kitchen to brew this. (And this is before I read the ingredients) I waited the recommended time, poured the elixir into my Glass perfect mug and took a sip.

Ahh.. Chocolate. The sweet aromatic quality of chocolate and almond. But.. what do I taste in the back warming up the works? Raspberry. It was like enjoying a Lindt Chocolate Raspberry truffle. All mellow and rich. After the wonderful euphoria, it was then that I took the time to read over the ingredients. It was like a pleasant surprise all over again.When I get the chance to go to David’s again for the Tea of the Month I will certainly get a full version of this tea. For a first time trial of this tea it was so worth it. I hope everyone is enjoying their Advent calendars as well and are also experiencing the magic of the unexpected sample charms.

What else can be said? It’s chocolatey and nutty and amazing! Thanks so much to DaisyChubb for the sample!

I don’t drink much mate. I always enjoy it though :)

Just tried this in the complementary tea for one DT sent us to make up for a mildly bad experience at one of their stores. Did I mention that they also included 60g each of Black Walnut and Chocolate Rocket as well? Wonderful customer service, guys, they’ve really set themselves apart from other companies with this.

The tea is fantastic, just chocolaty enough, and the chicory and light raspberry works very well. I do need to get a teaball/strainer of sorts, as my cup had quite a few floaters (I just put the tea loose into the pot because, well, I’m lazy).

Erin

Dude, sweet! David’s is awesome haha. I’ve been meaning to try this one!

dlonie

It’s worth it. And I should mention that I meant Toasted Walnut, not Black Walnut (d’oh)

I had a cup this morning, and even though I had a few mishaps it was still tasty. First of all I brewed it a little stronger than I had meant to, and then I realized I didn’t have any milk. It was too strong to drink straight, and I didn’t want to dump it, so I ended up adding a little caramel toffee vanilla coffee creamer that I had in the fridge. It was very rich, a little strange, but not too bad and still drinkable. An odd combination, but not altogether terrible :P

Holy mother of pearl! I just got my first (and massive) DT online haul delivered and since it’s early enough, I brewed myself a pot of Chocolate Rocket. The smell is UNBELIEVABLE. It reminds me of Godiva’s Dark Chocolate Raspberry bars. Pure deliciousness… I could barely wait the few minutes it took to steep! The taste is yummy though I did have to add some sweetener (agave) to make the flavors pop. I might brew it stronger next time. I like things STRONG.

Earlier this year I was lucky enough to have gotten a job right near a brand new David’s Tea in Brooklyn and I’ve been in to try one or two different, non-adventurous teas. When my box came this morning, I sat on my porch ripping open each packet – just a little – to get a whiff and I literally wanted to bang my head against the wall for not diving into DT sooner!!! I have a feeling I am going to drink A LOT of tea today.

RESTEEP: I wasn’t sure if I should resteep a tea with cocoa in it (?) but it’s mate so I went for it and all I have to say about that is HECK. YEAH.