The Decaffeinator

Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Kick the habit
Want to give up caffeine? Then make like a European and try this roasted chicory root tea. It’s rich, dark and satisfying, with hints of almond and vanilla. Just replace some of your ground coffee or black tea with it when you’re brewing or steeping – you’ll barely notice the difference. Then up the amount each day. It’s a deliciously painless solution, especially with milk and sugar. Caffeine-free.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

It’s not awful, but it’s not really my cuppa, either. It’s seems the other 3 people/reviews like it and that’s cool, but it’s too much chicory for this chic! It’s darker than tar, too!

I’m a chicory hater but I live with a chicory lover. There’s a household courtesy rule that the Cafe du Monde coffee with chicory only gets brewed if I’m not home or not in the mood for coffee. Ugh, chicory.

Eek, I oversteeped! either that or the chicory is just naturally super bitter. Next time I’ll try less in the bag and time in the pot. I added some milk and sugar but it’s still super dark and I can taste the sugar, but the chicory overrides it, by a landslide.
Otherwise, it tastes very similar to coffee! I can taste the vanilla and the almond (very blended, I can’t tell where one begins and the other ends) but the chicory is the main ingredient here. I really need to try this again before giving it a true rating. This one is only temporary!
Nevertheless, I can tell that this is a high quality tea, destined to be loved by many…. and I can most definitely see myself turning to this when I have a serious coffee craving to. Mmmmmm coffee…
(my aging body can’t handle all that caffeine, thus the tea obsession)

Good to know. I’m very anti-coffee in smell and taste, so I avoid anything that’s even remotely like it : )

ah well yes in that case, stay away from this one! I love the stuff but only have decaf every now and then- a poor second choice, it tastes awful compared to the real deal.
(Oh and chicory doesn’t have the same depth as coffee, apparently)

aging…let us not speak of it. :)

hahaha yes I think that is a good idea twing!

Another one of my samples I picked up last time, asked the sales associate there to recommended me one of the new teas from the wellness collection and she came up with the glow and this one. I chose this one because I do drink coffee and well… It simply smelled better. And well, it’s supposed to replace coffee right? So I will grade it based on those merits.

Steeped about halfway of the 4-7 minutes recommended on the label and used a teaspoon and a half of the stuff, comes out… looking really alot like coffee, well without any coffee creama. It does taste bitter (warning!) but I drink black coffees and espressos so I would say more bitter than a light roast but on par with a darker roast coffee. I would say you probably can get away with using less substance and a longer steep. I love the vanilla taste that comes along too, very nice. The almond comes through a lot less. Like coffee this is best when hot, there is also little aftertaste.

I never heard of this chicory root thing, so I googled it up and wow, people have been using it for ages for coffee substitute and I can see why. So it was fun to try out, colour and taste.. almost coffee-like. Slightly sweeter I must say too. Now at $8 for 50 grams, I don’t think I’ll be giving up coffee for this, besides I like my coffee and there’s plenty of tisanes that I can drink when I want no caffeine. Interesting to try and I am sure many people will like this one!

I agree with everything here! but did you find the licorice?? for the life of me… I’m having trouble with that

hmm that, I did not taste much at all, actually i wasn’t aware there was any licorice/anise flavour at all!

that’s what the girl at the shop said… but I think she was mistaken now. There are so many to track

I made an iced latte out of this, mixing 300 mL of strongly brewed tea with ice and almond milk. It’s absolutely delicious! A heavenly treat without caffeine but with the kick of coffee.