Movie Night

Caramel, Maple, Popcorn, Apple, Butter, Maple Syrup, Butterscotch, Pecan
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From DAVIDsTEA

A new tradition

This popcorn tea is better than the real thing. First of all, it has no calories. Second of all, it’s sweetened with maple and apple. Third of all, it has green tea, which studies (well, ok, experience) say is the ideal brew for keeping you quietly alert throughout a late-night flick. Great for thrillers, dramas, westerns or comedies. Drink it at home or smuggle it into the theatre.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Teabox B! I looked up the steeping instructions on davidstea.com for this tea AFTER steeping and I guessed right! Two teaspoons, over 200 degrees and 5-7 minutes. Though there is a bit of green tea in it that I was worried would get oversteeped. I like this one but it seems a bit mild tasting but what is there is nice. It’s silky and buttery (a piece of popcorn was in my infuser, though it didn’t look buttery!) Some sweetness from the apple and maple, so it was like a mildly sweet caramel corn. The lower rating is due to mild flavor.

Cavocorax

It’s very mild, but I like it for the occasional evening when I want something mild. Typically movie nights because that reminds me it’s there.

Tea Sipper

That makes sense! Now that I think of it, even though it tastes a bit like popcorn, the sweet flavor would pair well with popcorn.

Many thanks to whatshesaid for the sample.

I thought I’d be clever and have this with some actual popcorn while watching the new Arrested Development. Maybe that’s the reason this didn’t actually taste like popcorn. The dry leaves smell of apples and cinnamon. The brewed tea pretty much smells and tastes the same. Don’t get me wrong, I love me a good apple/cinnamon combo in just about any form, but I was hoping for something more popcorn-y. The actual popcorn I’m eating might just be obscuring the popcorn flavor of the tea. No ranking until I try it alone.

I did my first tea smuggle into the movies! Getting to drink non-concession stand tea was awesome (plus I like the mini adrenaline rush from sneaking in “outside food and beverages”). I love buttery popcorn but I always regret it afterwards when I get that am-I-hungry-or-full? feeling.

So the first flavor I tasted was coconut, which was completely unexpected. Then the tart apple flavor came through, followed by a hint of popcorn. As it cooled the coconut faded and popcorn got a bit stronger. I think I would like it more if there was more popcorney flavor and less tart apple, but I did enjoy it. Thank you whatshesaid for letting me try this!

TassieTeaGirl

I like taking that one to the movies too! Even if its not quite s popcorny as movie popcorn, it’s still tasty!

Second cup of the day on this busy day. I would’ve liked to have saved this one for an at-home movie night, but it smells too good to wait for that. And I think I will have just enough left to have another cup. :) The dry leaves smell exactly like caramel popcorn, yummy! I was a little surprised to find out that there are apples in this one, and there sure are a lot of them. This tea actually tastes mostly like the apples to me when it’s hot. There is a sweet maple finish, and a really quick aftertaste of popcorn. As it cools the buttery popcorn flavor comes out more. In fact, I like this tea much better after it has cooled. It does taste like caramel popcorn! Thank you whatshesaid for this sample! :)

-Dry blend has pieces of dried apple, popcorn and long thin green tea leaves.
-Dry blend smells like caramel popcorn. Tea liquor aroma is of apples with a caramel maple scent.
-Tea liquor is a clear dark yellow color.
-Tart apple flavor with a sweet maple finish. Short buttery popcorn aftertaste.
-Best with sweetener.
-Very good tea. Flavor is reminiscent of caramel popcorn when cooled.

whatshesaid

Glad you liked it!!

Josie Jade

It was different than what I was expecting, but in a good way! :)

OK so this is One of My favoret teas!!!! I love the buttery popcorn smell and even though im still unpacking the house i FINALY broke into the tea box and found this wonderful tea!!! Although im at work drinking it I think i may sneek in a cup to the movies this week end since popcorn is not aloud on my diet! JUst love this YUMMY tea!!!

The first time I tried this tea I was radically unimpressed. However, I am so happy I finally came back to it. I can not stop drinking this. I steep it strong with honey and it’s a perfect end of the workday snack. Delicious.
I think I am off to buy a tin of it tomorrow because I literally can not stop wanting it.

Cavocorax

I read that as “end of the world snack” and thought: WOAH. It must be good.

Teavangelical

man, if the end of the world is coming, i wanna go out drinking this.

Finishing this one up tonight (it feels like I’m making progress! But when I finish up teas I like, I just plan to buy more, so that’s hardly progress, is it….)

Still smells as sweet and delicious as ever. Hoping there’s no metallic flavour like last time…

Ok, no metallic flavour, but I think I should really lower the steeping temperature to reflect the green tea in this blend. There is a bit of an odd flavour, and I don’t recall noticing it the first time around, at which time I’m pretty sure I steeped it around 82C instead of 94C. Still a treat though, and I’ll at least buy another sample size package before deciding whether this is a keeper or not.

ETA: Second steep of this tonight (Wednesday). Regretting the decision to have sweets prior to drinking tea, because things aren’t tasting quite right anymore! I don’t think the second steep of this one was fabulous anyhow… rechecks notes It’s just tasting a bit bland to me. But then again, that could be because my tongue just had a sugar overload. Ah well!

Disclaimer: I don’t like green tea or caramel popcorn >.>

That all said, I enjoyed this tea. Not enough to restock, I think, but I’m glad I tried it. It is tasty, if not a little weak. In my experience re:steeping times, less is more, so I only steeped this for four minutes instead of the recommended 5-7, which might be why it’s weak, but most people think this is kind of weak, so who knows. I’m really enjoying the maple, I love maple. I managed not to screw up the green in this cup, yay!

Overall, a tasty tea, but not worth keeping on hand for me.

Another one bites the dust…yay!

Edit: The more of this I drank, the less I liked it. It just is not my cup of tea.

Jessie

I found the same thing (liking it less the more I drank)! I liked it even less on a second cup. The tea definitely doesn’t stand up to the gimmick.

KeenTeaThyme

I was tempted on this, but not 100% convinced. I trust both Ladykittykat & Jessie’s judgments. Thanks for being the guinea pig. :)

Uniquity

Apparently it became part of the permanent collection already…And Goji Pop didn’t? : )

aisling of tea

I didn’t expect to like it, and then I smelled it and thought I was wrong. Nope. I was right, this is not the tea for me.

Glad we could help, KiTT ;).

Uniquity, I have to say, after going through a tin of Goji Pop, I’m kinda over it. I can’t get past the hibiscus. I suspect it’s going to be like Pumpkin Chai, it will come back every Spring. Also, the impression I get of the “monthly” teas is they’re tests. If the tea sells well, it becomes part of the permanent collection. If it doesn’t, then it’s discontinued at the end of the month.

Maybe Goji Pop will come back like Glitter and Gold did?

Cattibrie

I thought that Goji Pop was permanent. Haven’t tried this one yet but it will be in my order I am getting on Monday (assuming no postal strike).

I do love Pink Flamingo though. Wish it was permanent.

Uniquity

I’m still bummed that Mojito didn’t come back. I’d toss up quite a few teas for that one…I gotta stop getting sucked into trying the new ones, I usually don’t like them long term.

aisling of tea

Cattibrie, Goji Pop was part of the spring line that, as I understand it, was discontinued as soon as the Summer line came out.

Uniquity, I’m with you on that one, most of the tried and true ones are much better than most of the seasonals, in my opinion.

Cattibrie

I just thought I saw on facebook that Goji Pop was going to be continued. Could be wrong. They have announced a few recently.

aisling of tea

I sit corrected, apparently Goji is sticking around until the end of summer.

Indigobloom

I tried a sample of this in the store. It was ok, but too much like a flat pop than an actual tea! I don’t like my teas to be too gimmicky anyhow, and this one, well I think it defines that word!

Indigobloom

that said, it would be great to have for the kids

Tea #11 from Another Traveling Tea Box

Dry, this tea smells sticky. I don’t really know how else to describe it. It smells sweet and melted caramel/candy-like.

The initial flavor really hits me as caramel corn. And then the apple makes itself present in the aftertaste, becoming more like caramel apples. The maple/caramel flavor is quite good! I don’t really pick up much in the way to actual tea taste, but that doesn’t surprise me as the ration is 90:10 in favor of the fruit.

This is a well constructed tea, and it definitely nailed what it was trying to be. I’m not going to rate it, because while good, the whole package pretty much wasn’t for me.

Spencer

Sounds interesting…maybe like something that would be good to try once for the experience.

I thought I’d try this and brewed it on two separate occasions. Caramel apples is a fair description but there is a sour type note lingering in the background – not a nice sour apple taste but rather a sour vegetable taste which is unpleasant. Not for me.