Green Tea
Green Tea
Fish Broth, Fishy, Garden Peas, Iodine, Seaweed, Thick, Broth, Brown Toast, Butter, Nuts, Toast, Toasty, Umami, Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I feel like there is a monster sitting in my chest… Ugh I got very little sleep last night, having the same recurring dream all night long. Woke up probably a million times. I usually...” Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes
  • “This is my very first Dragonwell, and I’m not sure whether I should expect most other Dragonwells to taste like this or to try others. It’s quite vegetal, for which I don’t...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 1246 tasting notes
  • “Again with the sourness. I guess my theory was wrong shrugs This was ok. A little too vegetal for me. I had a busy day at work and ended up forgetting about the second steep of...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1483 tasting notes
  • “Drinking a rather large pot of this at the moment. I’m trying to get rid of some of my tea before my other orders get here so I’m adding an extra cup or two to the pot! I do enjoy this...” Read full tasting note
    kalmal 871 tasting notes

Rich and famous

Watered by rain from a local dragon, brewed by a Chinese emperor for his ailing mother, and honoured as the Qing Dynasty’s Imperial tea, Dragonwell is surrounded by lore. Imitators abound, but our Dragonwell is the real thing, grown and processed in China’s West Lake Region. The leaves are hand plucked and meticulously pressed in a hot wok over and over until the ideal temperature, shape, and flavour are reached. Perfection in every cup. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Green tea from West Lake Region, Hangzhou area, Zhejiang province, China.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I am going to be weird and say I love this tea with milk and sugar. Okay, I know I’ve been banned from the steepster world, but before I am let me have this one last tasting note :) I didn’t like it straight, or with just some sugar it just tasted burnt to me. (I swear I didn’t oversteep the tea, I only steep for 3 minutes at most even though the directions say more) And adding milk I don’t know it just went down so nice ahhhhhh….this will definitely be a miss since this is my last cup. But I will rebuy this sometime this month.

I have tried several longjing’s and I believe I’ve developed a good palate for determining what is and is not authentic west lake longjing. This one would fall into the latter category for me, the flavour was very mild, the scent equally faint, the infusion very light. This is not a bad introduction to longjing as it captures some of the characteristics of the real thing, but please to anyone don’t be dissuaded by this experience to foresake longjing in the future from other suppliers. What really disappoints is the pricetag on this, $10 for 50 grams here.. David’s tea might be a bargain to your average starbucks consumer, where $10 buying you several cups worth of tea is better than $10 for one cup of fancy coffee, but this is still very expensive, especially for an inauthentic longjing. There are many reputable suppliers online for this wonderful tea and you don’t need to spend a fortune either, unless you are wealthy or a connoisseur a 3rd Grade longjing should only cost about $30 – 45 for a lb! Compare to David’s tea $90/lb. This 3rd grade dragonwell will also be authentic and you will know it’s authentic because the scent and flavour will be far more pronounced and lingering, not this tepid concoction David’s tea is passing off.

Green Tea sipdown!

With the comparing of the Jasmine teas and now this, this is definitely more caffeine than I need today, but I’m having a nice, leisurely lunch and have been enjoying re-rating green teas that I haven’t had for a long time. I’m a lot better in picking up subtleties in green tea than I was a couple years back and I’m curious to see how my opinion has changed now that I have a better trained palate :).

I remember initially purchasing this tea simply because the leaves were so gorgeous. They are whole, pressed flat and oblong and I could tell care was taken in harvesting this tea.

The smell of the leaves is grassy, and the brewed liquid is a light yellow and quite nice. The flavour is smooth and a little grassy and buttery (although not as buttery as say, gyokuro). Regardless this tea is very nice. My original rating 2 years ago was an 85 and it stands. This is a great mid-range priced straight tea (actually, if you go on DAVID’s website, select “straight green tea” and price low to high it’s exactly in the middle). Gyokuro is better than dragonwell but it’s double the price (this tea is a little under $10/50grams, gyokuro is nearly $20/50grams) and the thing about gyokuro for me is that I believe with a tea that good you should sit down and enjoy it, not mindlessly guzzle at work. With Dragonwell I wouldn’t feel bad bringing it to work and “mindlessly guzzling it” but it’s also nice enough to sit and enjoy leisurely. It’s the best of both worlds.

This tea may become a staple for me. I would really like to compare it to Japanese sencha since that tea is a mid-range priced tea as well, but I have over 40(!) teas in my collection so it will be a while till I do so :)

Flavors: Butter, Grass

It’s decent. Not a bad green tea but not one that I’d restock on either.

I find I like Chinese greens better than Japanese and this one didn’t disappoint. Surprisingly little “green tea” flavour and with an interesting finish. I’d almost call it a little bit of a spiciness as it’s swallowed. First cup I steeped for 3:30 and it was ok, second I steeped for 5 minutes. 5 minutes still had the spicy flavour and added more of the “green tea” flavour without adding much bitterness.

I love this tea. I’m not a very regular green tea drinker, but I do make this one fairly often. It’s wonderfully earthy and vegetal with a buttery finish. I’ve managed to get my steeping time and temps just right a few times and it is absolutely fantastic!

1.25 tsp for 250mL water @85C, steeped two minutes.

I thought Dragonwell was a light, slightly sweet green tea. All other Dragonwells I’ve tried are light, and a bit sweet, perhaps a bit vegetal. Heavy and thick mouthfeel.

This one, I am afraid, joins several other greens and oolongs from DavidsTea which are distinctly fishy. Scallop soup. Brine brine brine. Scallops are great — I just don’t care for them in tea.

Flavors: Fish Broth, Fishy, Garden Peas, Iodine, Seaweed, Thick

I have been drinking Dragonwell for years now, I have decided to stick with this tea. The reason I have sticked with this tea for years is because it has a roasted flavor and is one of the aspects I like about Dragonwell. I wouldn’t recommend drinking this tea after 6pm because it does have caffeine and it can interfere with your sleep. If you love green tea this is a tea for you.

I think I liked this one more than I like a lot of senchas (Sencha Ashikubo not withstanding). It was very drinkable, not too bitter… I’m still getting a taste for straight greens, but this one is definitely under consideration to be an addition to my collection in that sense.