Dragonwell

Green Tea
Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I feel like there is a monster sitting in my chest... Ugh I got very little sleep last night, having the same recurring dream all night long. Woke up probably a million times. I usually don't get...” Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes
  • “This is my very first Dragonwell, and I'm not sure whether I should expect most other Dragonwells to taste like this or to try others. It's quite vegetal, for which I don't particularly care. I...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes
  • “Again with the sourness. I guess my theory was wrong *shrugs* This was ok. A little too vegetal for me. I had a busy day at work and ended up forgetting about the second steep of this... The...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1258 tasting notes
  • “Drinking a rather large pot of this at the moment. I'm trying to get rid of some of my tea before my other orders get here so I'm adding an extra cup or two to the pot! I do enjoy this tea. It's a...” Read full tasting note
    kalmal 746 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Rich and famous

Watered by rain from a local dragon, brewed by a Chinese emperor for his ailing mother, and honoured as the Qing Dynasty’s Imperial tea, Dragonwell is surrounded by lore. Imitators abound, but our Dragonwell is the real thing, grown and processed in China’s West Lake Region. The leaves are hand plucked and meticulously pressed in a hot wok over and over until the ideal temperature, shape, and flavour are reached. Perfection in every cup. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Green tea from West Lake Region, Hangzhou area, Zhejiang province, China.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I am going to be weird and say I love this tea with milk and sugar. Okay, I know I’ve been banned from the steepster world, but before I am let me have this one last tasting note :) I didn’t like it straight, or with just some sugar it just tasted burnt to me. (I swear I didn’t oversteep the tea, I only steep for 3 minutes at most even though the directions say more) And adding milk I don’t know it just went down so nice ahhhhhh….this will definitely be a miss since this is my last cup. But I will rebuy this sometime this month.

I have tried several longjing’s and I believe I’ve developed a good palate for determining what is and is not authentic west lake longjing. This one would fall into the latter category for me, the flavour was very mild, the scent equally faint, the infusion very light. This is not a bad introduction to longjing as it captures some of the characteristics of the real thing, but please to anyone don’t be dissuaded by this experience to foresake longjing in the future from other suppliers. What really disappoints is the pricetag on this, $10 for 50 grams here.. David’s tea might be a bargain to your average starbucks consumer, where $10 buying you several cups worth of tea is better than $10 for one cup of fancy coffee, but this is still very expensive, especially for an inauthentic longjing. There are many reputable suppliers online for this wonderful tea and you don’t need to spend a fortune either, unless you are wealthy or a connoisseur a 3rd Grade longjing should only cost about $30 – 45 for a lb! Compare to David’s tea $90/lb. This 3rd grade dragonwell will also be authentic and you will know it’s authentic because the scent and flavour will be far more pronounced and lingering, not this tepid concoction David’s tea is passing off.

It’s decent. Not a bad green tea but not one that I’d restock on either.

I find I like Chinese greens better than Japanese and this one didn’t disappoint. Surprisingly little “green tea” flavour and with an interesting finish. I’d almost call it a little bit of a spiciness as it’s swallowed. First cup I steeped for 3:30 and it was ok, second I steeped for 5 minutes. 5 minutes still had the spicy flavour and added more of the “green tea” flavour without adding much bitterness.

I love this tea. I’m not a very regular green tea drinker, but I do make this one fairly often. It’s wonderfully earthy and vegetal with a buttery finish. I’ve managed to get my steeping time and temps just right a few times and it is absolutely fantastic!

A really nice green tea to give you that little afternoon boost. It’s a pretty grassy tea with lots of vegatale notes. Not bitter in the slightest if you don’t oversteep it.

Flavors: Grass

Dragonwell is an extremely strong green tea! It is a somewhat high quality tea. A lot of work went into making this tea taste the way it does.

It tastes rustic, and kind of woody, but in a good way! The green tea taste is still there though, and that’s the best part.

I feel like I should be on a retreat in the mountains in China, practising ancient Buddhist meditation to a beautiful sunrise! Yes, that is the journey that this tea takes my senses on when I drink it! It feels so good, and comforting; it’s incredibly delicious!

This is my standard green tea that I drink almost on a daily basis. Reminds me of the Dragonwell I used to buy in Shanghai but the only difference is that they would keep their tea in a freezer. Smells and looks slightly similar to alfalfa grass . Strong but pleasant taste and can be steeped multiple times. If you’re trying to find a new tea similar to Japanese green tea then look elsewhere.

Another Chinese green tea.

English style steeping:

Steep 1: vegetal and slightly nutty, very pleasant.

Steep 2: Not too much flavour left in the leaves sadly.

One of my favorite green teas, has a hint of citrus in the scent to me, but very light and mild. Refreshing tea that you can drink often and doesn’t grow tiresome.