Nepal Black

Earth, Honey, Malt, Flowers, Cocoa, Apricot, Fruity, Mineral, Peach, Tannin, Maple, Sweet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

Take you higher

There are good things brewing in the Highlands of Nepal. Like this hand-made black tea, from a small family-owned tea garden named Jun Chiyabari. From the first sip you’ll notice its rich, sweet, honey-like flavour. What doesn’t come through in the cup is how much good this little tea garden does. They’ve set up a ton of amazing community programs to benefit local schools, underprivileged families, and the elderly. This particular tea is a DAVIDsTEA exclusive – now that’s a good thing. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Black tea from Nepal.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Another sipdown. I must have liked it enough because I finished off 50g without too much difficulty. Sweet and flavorful without being too heavy-bodied, it is a nice morning or afternoon cuppa. It might be my favorite unflavored black from DT, but the only thing is that I have other unflavored blacks from elsewhere that I love just so much more. I’m thinking of Laoshan Black and Taiwanese Wild Mountain Black in particular.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I haven’t had this in awhile, and am pleasantly surprised by how nice it is. Mildly fragrant, and tastes of malt, honey and a bit of raisins. Very smooth and easy to drink.

There is certainly a taste of honey to this straight black tea. I also get a “wheaty”, “beer-ish”, malty taste. The aroma of the wet leaves is strong with the malt too. The effect leads to a cup that is both sweet and full with enough astringency to give it good character. The honey note even makes a certain song play endlessly in my head. It’s quite magical, really. It tastes delicious both with or without milk.

I haven’t tried many straight black teas. Even during the David’s Tea straight promotion this is the only black tea I sampled. David’s Tea has a mixed bag of straights but Nepal Black is one of the better ones. I have a small bag but I’m unsure if this will become a staple. I need to try more blacks and check out Verdant Tea before I make a decision but right now I’m leaning on a yes…

“I’ll come back for the honey……….AND YOUUUUUUUUUUU!"

Yes. I am ashamed of myself.

Bonnie

No shame on Steepster!

CrowKettle

Thanks Bonnie! That’s nice to know, although you haven’t heard my singing voice :)

I’ve had this for a while but somehow never got around to trying it. I only bought 20 grams, but it is such a light tea that I got one of those little silver bags DT uses almost full. The smell of the dry leaves is fairly typical black tea, in my opinion. The steeped smell however, is a different beast. I smell honeyed notes, a natural sweetness that I LOVE to find in my black teas. Honestly I am in the mood for something with cococa notes, but I don’t think this will suit that need. Also, I’m having some almonds with this, so we’ll see what impact that has!

Almonds aside, this was surprisingly mild. I get a honeyed sweetness in the taste, but it’s not overbearing. There is no bitterness at all, and this is a very smooth tea. I don’t know that I can pick out any specific flavours, but I am loving this. It’s a nice easy drinking black tea, the kind that would make a good companion to a lazy afternoon with a great book. MMmmm…

Cattibrie

This is my favourite straight black tea.

Amariel

Sounds great! I wish I had a better sense of picking out flavour notes in straight teas.

Uniquity

I pushed this one to three steeps in my small/medium sized Gaiwan – The first two were really good but the third was a bit of a stretch, I think. Can’t fault a black tea that yields two delicious steeps, though!

@Cattibrie – I’ve had a couple plain blacks that I am crazy for, but they are largely inaccessible to me (Harney’s Golden Snail, Keemun Mao Feng). This one is a pretty good stand in though, and I do love some natural sweetness. Now I need DT to have a yummy Golden Snail-ish tea! : )

I received this one from tattooed_tea. I am really starting to wish there were some DAVIDs locations in the states…ok Ohio. Opening up the package the dry leaf reminds me of a chinese black or an ceylon. I was excited to get this one because I have never sampled a nepalese black. Reminds me a little bit of a chinese black because there’s that starchy flavor like baked potato. Pretty smooth and it may have to be added to the permanent collection.

Autumn Hearth

Yes Ohio would be nice ;) Chicago will be getting three in November, there’s one in NYC, SanFran and I believe somewhere in the NW.

I picked up a half ounce of this on Saturday at the David’s Tea in the Westfield Centre. Any vegans who may visit there, that mall has one of the best Loving Huts…

This is a nice strong black. It tastes most like a Ceylon to me. Very strong honey flavor and some maltiness. Delicious!

Rachel J

Never heard of Loving Hut and just googled it. Wow! Exciting! I live in Brooklyn, but there’s one in Manhattan, and one in Brooklyn opening soon.

CharlotteZero

As you probably read, it’s a franchise run by some sort of spiritual group. The quality of their food varies widely from restaurant to restaurant. I know I have been to the one in Manhattan years ago, but I can’t remember if it’s particularly good. When I’m in NY, I always go to the Candle restaurants and Angelica Kitchen…But I’ve been really wanting to go back to Foodswings!

Rachel J

I love all of those places! Have you tried Blossom? You must!

CharlotteZero

No, but now I will! Any suggestions on what to order there?

One of the girls in the office bought this and decided after that she didn’t want it. So i got it! This isnt a bad little tea – better than the himalayan in my opinion but i think that laoshan black from verdant has spoiled me. I’m always looking for my straight blacks to be robust and have different flavours going on. I would get this again but as an every day tea rather than anything special

I wanted to try a black tea for the $1 tea promotion and the sales girls recommended this upon hearing how disappointed I was with the Orange Pekoe. Let me tell you THIS is what black tea should taste like!

Steeped, it turns a lovely, deep orange colour with a robust flavour to match! Deep and sweet, with hints of honey and malt, this tea is lovely, lovely, lovely. Have I mentioned that it’s lovely? No need for milk or sugar, although I am sure this tea would stand up to them just fine, but I’m having it straight. Mmmm, Orange Pekoe could learn a thing or two from this tea…

Oh, and I totally left the bag in waaaay longer than it was supposed to be, but no bitterness. Nothing. Nada. Just smooth, dreamy tea.

Second note on this tea. Strong honey notes with a slight maltiness that really comes out in the aftertaste. Super smooth. One of my favourite black teas I’ve tried! Having a quick cup before going off to take my exam.

Thanks to CrowKettle for the sample!

When I first smelled it, I thought of a smooth Ceylon black, but there was also something else in the scent. Interesting.

Now that I’m sipping away, I’m reminded of DavidsTea Himalayan Blend, but this is a little danker and maltier – in a good way! I think there are also some honey notes slipping in too.

I’m happy I was able to try this but I don’t think I’d buy it at $10/50g.

CrowKettle

…and I didn’t realize it was that expensive. Eek! This is one of those teas that I would be delighted to be served but wouldn’t go out of my way to obtain.

Cavocorax

I was very happy to be served a sample of it. :P