Nepal Black

Honey, Malt, Cocoa
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “Huh. Wow. Steeping this for 2 minutes at 195F gives me delightful honey flavour and no bad stuff. I like it! Plain!! (I better like it. I have an other 50g bag sitting in the cupboard!)” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1418 tasting notes
  • “1TB for 450mL water. 6 minute steep, 98C water. Rating: 95. Yum. I wasn't expecting this to live up to the hype, but yeah, it's really nice. A bit Darjeeling-y, which is not a surprise, given...” Read full tasting note
    MButlerHallett 510 tasting notes
  • “Very first order of the agenda here, can we all please agree that the country is called NEpal and that there is no such country as NApal? Thank you. This seems a common error, and some people do it...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1266 tasting notes
  • “Ever have one of those tea days where nothing goes as planned? not a disaster exactly, just not what you expected. That was today. See, I had planned to bring in one of the many samples I received...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1294 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Take you higher

There are good things brewing in the Highlands of Nepal. Like this hand-made black tea, from a small family-owned tea garden named Jun Chiyabari. From the first sip you’ll notice its rich, sweet, honey-like flavour. What doesn’t come through in the cup is how much good this little tea garden does. They’ve set up a ton of amazing community programs to benefit local schools, underprivileged families, and the elderly. This particular tea is a DAVIDsTEA exclusive – now that’s a good thing. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Black tea from Nepal.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I just fell in love again…Wild Black Yunnan being my first love, now meet Nepal Black from David’s tea. It’s a totally satisfying black tea like Wild Black Yunnan but has an added sweet honey after taste that increases as the tea cools and has no bitterness whatsoever. Overall, this tea is simple yet amazing. A definite keeper until no longer available (and I hope that won’t happen, ever).

Michelle Butler Hallett

Good stuff, isn’t it? One of the nicest black teas I’ve tried.

LucLPN

Nice meeting you Michelle! I hope they keep this tea for a long time since I’ve just learned that David’s Tea discontinued Himalayan Traveler’s tea… I’m so glad I just stocked up! Which tea shop do you prefer the most?

Michelle Butler Hallett

Hi, Luc.

My local indie shop, Britannia Teas and Gifts, is my favourite and has been for years … but I should point out that I now work there part-time.

For online, I really, really like Stash. I first started orderning from Stash back in 1991, when it was payments by cheque.

I’ve been an online customer of DavidsTea, too, and they carry some really interesting blends I can’t find anywhere else, and now, this Nepal Black from Jun Chiyabari. We have a new bricks and mortar DavidsTea in St John’s. Sorry to hear they’ve disco-ed the Himalayan. Is it just me, or is DavidsTea becoming more and more about the heavy flavours? That said, I do like some of their more out-there mixes, like Chicory Dickory Dock (chciory, almond, vanilla), Jumpy Monkey (mate, cloves, coffee beans and cocoa) and Super Chocolate (green tea, rooibos, bits of cocoa bean)… but I find myself getting very tea-nerdy these days and heading for the single-estate teas, for good jasmine and good oolong.

A friend is after me to go in on an order with Teaopia.

What’s your favourite shop?

LucLPN

Hey Michelle, sorry I took so long. I’ve always drank tea, even as a child and it was King Cole, of course. I started drinking loose-leaf tea when I accidentally discovered Teavana while I was in Tampa on vacation. I got suckered into buying their most expensive tea “Pheonix Mountain Dan Cong Oolong” but instantly feel in love with loose leaf tea. Teavana is still my top favourite store even though their teas are over-priced. Their Copper Knot & Nine Dragon Needle are simple and sublime amongst many other teas they sell.

I’ve tried Teaopia but will never re-ordered anything from them after. I found their teas to be bland, looked and tasted old (compared to the other teas I’ve had).

Metropolitan Teas have great teas, especially their English Blends. I do agree with you about David’s Tea getting into the flavours and I DO NOT like flavoured teas.. I’m a camellia sinensis purist. I’ll tolerate some “flavoured” teas but…

With Black Needle & Himalayan gone… the only other one I love is Wild Black Yunnan and if they get rid of that…. ugh.

By pure luck, I got my hands on high-grade Oolongs from Taiwan when my brother-in-law returned to his home country to visit family and OMG, I must say, they keep their best teas for themselves!!! The quality and freshness is unsurpassed by the franchise tea stores we have here.

Well I must go make more tea and visit Stash.Take care Michelle!

I found that I really liked this tea – it was a little close to a Darjeeling, but not too much.
I was looking for a nice mild black and I definitely found it in this one. Very mild but not watery, there is not one flavour that stands out strongly which is nice. It did steep up a little sweet as well. A great simple black for mellow afternoons, though I think this would be good any time of the day, really. I’ll be returning to get some of this for my tea shelves.

**I’ve changed this review 4 times! gah! no more!

First off, Jun Chiyabari isn’t a David’s Tea exclusive.

Okay, that aside, I really like the Jun Chiyabari tea estate, or at least what I have tasted before. This one is very sub-par from what I am used to. Still good, but didn’t have the complexity that I’ve been tasting from the estate. Maybe David’s Tea just bought a bad batch? (Maybe that’s where the exclusivity comes in….because I really love the Jun Chiyabari garden).

It has this smokey tanned leather taste, with an aroma that just smells bitter, it does develop into a sweetness that reminds me of most Yunnan blacks. But this isn’t what I’m used to from Nepal? I don’t know. not my cup of tea is what it boils down to.

This is next on my list to buy! I tried a cup on the weekend and it was lovely. It was suggested to me by the person working there, and I really enjoyed it. I had it without milk or sweetener, but because most straight teas I prefer that was and because she said that it already had a sweet, honey like taste. I could definitely taste the honey but it wasn’t overly sweet – I definitely wouldn’t add anything to this one through.

It was way too hot to drink at first so I took the bag out after a few minutes and did some shopping! By the time we went back to the car it was still very warm and I was able to taste it a bit more clearly. I am still looking to try some more straight black teas, but so far this one was my favorite.

Traveled 20 miles from the forest area where I live to the city to have this tea (and do other stuff) but this was my first stop to get some delicious black tea as I sit here at davids tea located in Victoria Im always tired and lethargic but this tea made the trip bareable delicious tea and energizing too

TheTeaFairy

My absolute favourite plain black tea from DT!

This was a fair cup with good color and aroma, but it was a bit weak for me as far as an Indian black goes. I tried steeping another cup longer, which got mildly stronger, but the stronger taste wasn’t a better taste.

Bonnie

I’ve read that some people like the second infusion at a longer steep of 5 minutes better…and keeping the first steep only 2 minutes. Maybe this would work better for you? I like strong but not bitter also. Hate weak tea!!!

I love simple black teas.
So I went to Davids to try some, and I came out of there with Nepal Black, and Davids Darjeeling.

I just have to say that Nepal black is amazingly smooth and rich with flavour.
If you love black teas, this will not let you down.
The taste is dark yet smooth, so I would say it is perfectly balanced.

Great in the morning, great overall.

This tea took me a while to fall in love with, but now it is one of my favourites. Usually I want kind of a normal tea first thing in the morning… like English Breakfast. This one is kind of “earthy” to me, and at first I found it off-putting with milk and sugar. Now, I love it. My husband who is a bit of a snob against teas also enjoys it… which is a nice change! Strongly recommended… and even if you don’t like it at first… you may find yourself craving it later…

Mmmm.

First try of this. There’s no noticeable bitterness at all. Instead, something floral, something honey, something like a good pastry. Sweet.

This is very light for a black tea, it’s delicious and easy to drink. I think this would be great for people used to drinking green or white tea or just getting into the tea world.