Nepal Black

Chocolate, Hay, Honey, Malt, Molasses, Wood, Earth, Flowers, Cocoa, Apricot, Fruity, Mineral, Peach, Tannin, Maple, Sweet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

Take you higher

There are good things brewing in the Highlands of Nepal. Like this hand-made black tea, from a small family-owned tea garden named Jun Chiyabari. From the first sip you’ll notice its rich, sweet, honey-like flavour. What doesn’t come through in the cup is how much good this little tea garden does. They’ve set up a ton of amazing community programs to benefit local schools, underprivileged families, and the elderly. This particular tea is a DAVIDsTEA exclusive – now that’s a good thing. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Black tea from Nepal.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Simple Plain Black tea, smooth texture throughout the whole sipping experience :)

Pre-steeped it has that cocoa smell common in Chinese teas.
That changed the second I steeped it, the smell and taste here is pretty unique. I guess the closest thing I would compare the flavor to is grilled artichoke, and/or maybe marinated olives? Rich and robust, kind of surprised others found it mild. Creamy mouthfeel. Held up well to multiple infusions. A winner for sure.

My favorite straight black from DAVIDsTEA (even though I’ve only tried three in store). The light honey flavor mixes in perfectly with the black tea (it’s hard to believe the taste is actually from the tea and there is no added honey). So soothing. No astringency on the first steep (I didn’t notice any). Tasted even better on the third steep.

This tea is amazing. One of my favourite black teas. As others commented it has a nice earthy flavor and such an amazing smell. A solid black tea.

Love it! I’ve tried longer steeps which brings out a lot more complexity and never any over bearing bitterness even close to 10 min. This morning I tried a 5min 45sec steep with milk and sugar (rare treat for me) and its delicious! I get a lot of hay/cocoa notes from this tea and it has a natural sweetness to it.

Flavors: Chocolate, Hay, Honey, Malt, Molasses

Michelle Butler Hallett

Yeah, this one is gorgeous.

ropeadope

Almost out of my first 100g, I think I’m using too much (heaped teaspoons) but its delicious! Really cool Twitter feed from the estate in which it is grown: https://twitter.com/junchiyabari

Oooh, thanks for that!

I am proud of myself that I guessed this tea might be from a Yunnan cuttings transplanted into Nepal soil. Turns out I was right.

Michelle Butler Hallett

And Jun Chiyabari rocks. They treat their workers very well.

Yeah, this one definitely didn’t live up to expectations…
Was kinda malty…kinda woody…not tons of flavor. I’m sure if you steep it longer than the advised steeping time you will get more flavor but….I don’t feel like it’s worth trying again. Just doesn’t seem like any of the great things I would be…
DavidsTea really isn’t all that great with unflavored teas…they need to stick with unflavored teas!
Thank you to Allan K for the sample though! Probably would have wasted my money on it at some point otherwise D:

Flavors: Malt, Wood

Although I’ve been having a constitutional “Red Rose” black tea after supper for years, I’ve only recently begun exploring better quality black teas. Of the various black teas from David’s Tea that I’ve tried, this is one of my favourites. It has a rich, earthy body, and it really does leave a sweet “honey” flavour on your tongue at the end. It also resteeps well, so it provides me with good value.

Flavors: Earth, Honey

I could drink a lot of this. And I probably will. Malty, slightly chocolatey, and no astringency to speak of. There’s a wet leaf-pile feel to it, which I mean in the best way.

I steeped it at a safe 4 minutes, so maybe if I had a bit longer… I don’t know. I had planned on trying more straight black teas, but I’m quite pleased with this one, so I’m going to show a level of self-control that I’m completely unfamiliar with, and stick with just keeping this around and not buy samples of every single straight black tea I can get my grubby hands on.

It sounds all good written down, but we’ll see how long that lasts!

I love this tea. It goes well with breakfast but it’s also great as a stand-alone. It smells perfumed and it goes down smooth. It has the right balance of malt, leaf, wood, and honey flavors. This is a staple in my cupboard.

Flavors: Honey, Malt