Nepal Black

Bitter, Dry Grass, Hay, Honey, Malt, Chocolate, Molasses, Wood, Earth, Flowers, Cocoa, Apricot, Fruity, Mineral, Peach, Tannin, Maple, Sweet
Kosher, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “Huh. Wow. Steeping this for 2 minutes at 195F gives me delightful honey flavour and no bad stuff. I like it! Plain!! (I better like it. I have an other 50g bag sitting in the cupboard!)” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 2026 tasting notes
  • “1TB for 450mL water. 6 minute steep, 98C water. Rating: 95. Yum. I wasn’t expecting this to live up to the hype, but yeah, it’s really nice. A bit Darjeeling-y, which is not a surprise,...” Read full tasting note
    MButlerHallett 558 tasting notes
  • “Very first order of the agenda here, can we all please agree that the country is called NEpal and that there is no such country as NApal? Thank you. This seems a common error, and some people do it...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1327 tasting notes
  • “Ever have one of those tea days where nothing goes as planned? not a disaster exactly, just not what you expected. That was today. See, I had planned to bring in one of the many samples I received...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1485 tasting notes

Take you higher

There are good things brewing in the Highlands of Nepal. Like this hand-made black tea, from a small family-owned tea garden named Jun Chiyabari. From the first sip you’ll notice its rich, sweet, honey-like flavour. What doesn’t come through in the cup is how much good this little tea garden does. They’ve set up a ton of amazing community programs to benefit local schools, underprivileged families, and the elderly. This particular tea is a DAVIDsTEA exclusive – now that’s a good thing. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Black tea from Nepal.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Pre-steeped it has that cocoa smell common in Chinese teas.
That changed the second I steeped it, the smell and taste here is pretty unique. I guess the closest thing I would compare the flavor to is grilled artichoke, and/or maybe marinated olives? Rich and robust, kind of surprised others found it mild. Creamy mouthfeel. Held up well to multiple infusions. A winner for sure.

My favorite straight black from DAVIDsTEA (even though I’ve only tried three in store). The light honey flavor mixes in perfectly with the black tea (it’s hard to believe the taste is actually from the tea and there is no added honey). So soothing. No astringency on the first steep (I didn’t notice any). Tasted even better on the third steep.

This tea is amazing. One of my favourite black teas. As others commented it has a nice earthy flavor and such an amazing smell. A solid black tea.

Another day, another stressor. I wish these days would end! I was feeling so poorly that I went and got a bath bomb from Lush, and two teas from David’s: Nepal Black and The Earl’s Garden (more on that later).

When the tea was done brewing, I noticed a very strong hay-like smell coming from the cup, intertwined with notes of honey and malt. Upon tasting, it reminds me of a good English breakfast tea. Half of the joy in this cup is the overwhelming aroma. I almost prefer the feeling I get inhaling the smell instead of the taste. I bet this tea would go wonderfully with some milk and a tiny bit of sugar.

Overall, I think this will be my go-to morning tea on my commute to work.

Flavors: Bitter, Dry Grass, Hay, Honey, Malt

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 250 ML
Michelle Butler Hallett

Nepal Black is a gorgeous black tea, and it comes from Jun Chiiyabari, an estate that takes good care of its employees. Yay for that. Also of interest: Jun Chiyabari have translated China tea cuttings and grown them in Nepalese soil. Nepal Black is one of the results, and this explains some of the complexity in the cup.

I’m trying to build a list of tea estates and co-ops which invest in better conditions for their workers. TeeKampagne, a co-ip of gardens in Darjeeling, is also good for that.

(sigh) my typing is so bad … translated = transplanted

I read that on the bio! That’s excellent news about the estate. I don’t think I’ve ever had a cup of black that’s quite this complex.

Man, this is an interesting tea! Each steep tastes slightly different. It’s got some sweet notes to it which I am loving.

It’s funny that I started out mostly liking flavored teas. But at least with David’s Teas, I am starting to enjoy their plain teas much more. I guess that my palate is becoming educated. I really like this Nepal Black, and I will definitely have it again.

Flavors: Honey, Malt

Love it! I’ve tried longer steeps which brings out a lot more complexity and never any over bearing bitterness even close to 10 min. This morning I tried a 5min 45sec steep with milk and sugar (rare treat for me) and its delicious! I get a lot of hay/cocoa notes from this tea and it has a natural sweetness to it.

Flavors: Chocolate, Hay, Honey, Malt, Molasses

Michelle Butler Hallett

Yeah, this one is gorgeous.

Almost out of my first 100g, I think I’m using too much (heaped teaspoons) but its delicious! Really cool Twitter feed from the estate in which it is grown:

Oooh, thanks for that!

I am proud of myself that I guessed this tea might be from a Yunnan cuttings transplanted into Nepal soil. Turns out I was right.

Michelle Butler Hallett

And Jun Chiyabari rocks. They treat their workers very well.

Yeah, this one definitely didn’t live up to expectations…
Was kinda malty…kinda woody…not tons of flavor. I’m sure if you steep it longer than the advised steeping time you will get more flavor but….I don’t feel like it’s worth trying again. Just doesn’t seem like any of the great things I would be…
DavidsTea really isn’t all that great with unflavored teas…they need to stick with unflavored teas!
Thank you to Allan K for the sample though! Probably would have wasted my money on it at some point otherwise D:

Flavors: Malt, Wood

Although I’ve been having a constitutional “Red Rose” black tea after supper for years, I’ve only recently begun exploring better quality black teas. Of the various black teas from David’s Tea that I’ve tried, this is one of my favourites. It has a rich, earthy body, and it really does leave a sweet “honey” flavour on your tongue at the end. It also resteeps well, so it provides me with good value.

Flavors: Earth, Honey

I could drink a lot of this. And I probably will. Malty, slightly chocolatey, and no astringency to speak of. There’s a wet leaf-pile feel to it, which I mean in the best way.

I steeped it at a safe 4 minutes, so maybe if I had a bit longer… I don’t know. I had planned on trying more straight black teas, but I’m quite pleased with this one, so I’m going to show a level of self-control that I’m completely unfamiliar with, and stick with just keeping this around and not buy samples of every single straight black tea I can get my grubby hands on.

It sounds all good written down, but we’ll see how long that lasts!