Nepal Black

Honey, Malt, Flowers, Cocoa, Apricot, Earth, Fruity, Mineral, Peach, Tannin, Maple, Sweet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “Huh. Wow. Steeping this for 2 minutes at 195F gives me delightful honey flavour and no bad stuff. I like it! Plain!! (I better like it. I have an other 50g bag sitting in the...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1770 tasting notes
  • “1TB for 450mL water. 6 minute steep, 98C water. Rating: 95. Yum. I wasn't expecting this to live up to the hype, but yeah, it's really nice. A bit Darjeeling-y, which is not a surprise, given...” Read full tasting note
    MButlerHallett 524 tasting notes
  • “Very first order of the agenda here, can we all please agree that the country is called NEpal and that there is no such country as NApal? Thank you. This seems a common error, and some people do it...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1317 tasting notes
  • “Ever have one of those tea days where nothing goes as planned? not a disaster exactly, just not what you expected. That was today. See, I had planned to bring in one of the many samples I received...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1380 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Take you higher

There are good things brewing in the Highlands of Nepal. Like this hand-made black tea, from a small family-owned tea garden named Jun Chiyabari. From the first sip you’ll notice its rich, sweet, honey-like flavour. What doesn’t come through in the cup is how much good this little tea garden does. They’ve set up a ton of amazing community programs to benefit local schools, underprivileged families, and the elderly. This particular tea is a DAVIDsTEA exclusive – now that’s a good thing. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Black tea from Nepal.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Simple Plain Black tea, smooth texture throughout the whole sipping experience :)

Pre-steeped it has that cocoa smell common in Chinese teas.
That changed the second I steeped it, the smell and taste here is pretty unique. I guess the closest thing I would compare the flavor to is grilled artichoke, and/or maybe marinated olives? Rich and robust, kind of surprised others found it mild. Creamy mouthfeel. Held up well to multiple infusions. A winner for sure.

My favorite straight black from DAVIDsTEA (even though I’ve only tried three in store). The light honey flavor mixes in perfectly with the black tea (it’s hard to believe the taste is actually from the tea and there is no added honey). So soothing. No astringency on the first steep (I didn’t notice any). Tasted even better on the third steep.

This tea is amazing. One of my favourite black teas. As others commented it has a nice earthy flavor and such an amazing smell. A solid black tea.

I could drink a lot of this. And I probably will. Malty, slightly chocolatey, and no astringency to speak of. There’s a wet leaf-pile feel to it, which I mean in the best way.

I steeped it at a safe 4 minutes, so maybe if I had a bit longer… I don’t know. I had planned on trying more straight black teas, but I’m quite pleased with this one, so I’m going to show a level of self-control that I’m completely unfamiliar with, and stick with just keeping this around and not buy samples of every single straight black tea I can get my grubby hands on.

It sounds all good written down, but we’ll see how long that lasts!

I love this tea. It goes well with breakfast but it’s also great as a stand-alone. It smells perfumed and it goes down smooth. It has the right balance of malt, leaf, wood, and honey flavors. This is a staple in my cupboard.

Flavors: Honey, Malt

Picked this up from David’s Tea the other day. Brewed it this afternoon and put it in a thermos. It is quite tasty. It somewhat malty with strong notes of cocoa or chocolate.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with boiling water and 3 tsp leaf for 3 min.

Flavors: Cocoa, Malt

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML

I might have over steeped this one. Upon first taste I was greeted with a slight bitter kick but I was surprised by it’s immediate honey and rich but smooth taste. It’d be a good staple if I didn’t have a bunch of other Black teas to get through!

Flavors: Honey

This is reminiscent of the Blue Mountain Twirl, but slightly muted in comparison. This feel more masculine, which is a funny adjective, but it has more tannin and earth flavors than the bright peachy tones of Blue Mountain Twirl. I’m not an expect, though I love to drink tea, so I would probably have a hard time telling this apart from Blue Mountain Twirl and things like their Yunnan black tea. As I drink this without sugar or milk, the primary flavors are gently earthy with hints of peach or other fruit sweetness, finished with a more tannin feeling and the light flavor of green grapes on my tongue. Worth a taste, and also worth finding the opinion of an actual black tea aficionado for a more in depth review.

Flavors: Apricot, Earth, Fruity, Mineral, Peach, Tannin