Nepal Black

Earth, Malt, Smooth, Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet, Baked Bread, Honey, Bitter, Dry Grass, Hay, Molasses, Wood, Flowers, Cocoa, Apricot, Fruity, Mineral, Peach, Tannin, Maple, Sweet
Medium
Kosher, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “Huh. Wow. Steeping this for 2 minutes at 195F gives me delightful honey flavour and no bad stuff. I like it! Plain!! (I better like it. I have an other 50g bag sitting in the cupboard!)” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 2163 tasting notes
  • “1TB for 450mL water. 6 minute steep, 98C water. Rating: 95. Yum. I wasn’t expecting this to live up to the hype, but yeah, it’s really nice. A bit Darjeeling-y, which is not a surprise,...” Read full tasting note
    MButlerHallett 560 tasting notes
  • “Very first order of the agenda here, can we all please agree that the country is called NEpal and that there is no such country as NApal? Thank you. This seems a common error, and some people do it...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1328 tasting notes
  • “Ever have one of those tea days where nothing goes as planned? not a disaster exactly, just not what you expected. That was today. See, I had planned to bring in one of the many samples I received...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1513 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Take you higher

There are good things brewing in the Highlands of Nepal. Like this hand-made black tea, from a small family-owned tea garden named Jun Chiyabari. From the first sip you’ll notice its rich, sweet, honey-like flavour. What doesn’t come through in the cup is how much good this little tea garden does. They’ve set up a ton of amazing community programs to benefit local schools, underprivileged families, and the elderly. This particular tea is a DAVIDsTEA exclusive – now that’s a good thing. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Black tea from Nepal.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Pre-steeped it has that cocoa smell common in Chinese teas.
That changed the second I steeped it, the smell and taste here is pretty unique. I guess the closest thing I would compare the flavor to is grilled artichoke, and/or maybe marinated olives? Rich and robust, kind of surprised others found it mild. Creamy mouthfeel. Held up well to multiple infusions. A winner for sure.

My favorite straight black from DAVIDsTEA (even though I’ve only tried three in store). The light honey flavor mixes in perfectly with the black tea (it’s hard to believe the taste is actually from the tea and there is no added honey). So soothing. No astringency on the first steep (I didn’t notice any). Tasted even better on the third steep.

This tea is amazing. One of my favourite black teas. As others commented it has a nice earthy flavor and such an amazing smell. A solid black tea.

I’ve found that most Nepalese teas are reminiscent of Darjeelings but this is much more like an Assam. It has that characteristic malty robustness, though it doesn’t have the bitterness that some strong Assams carry as I can enjoy this tea perfectly fine without adding milk to soften it. As other people have noted, there definitely a molasses undertone to it that’s quite enjoyable. DT found a good one.

Delightfull, not full bodied or bitter, even if over steeped

This one is really nice. Some days you just need a smooth, quality black tea without all the frills.
I only had a tiny sample of this one, but I think I’ll end up going back for more. It’s something I could see myself drinking in the mornings on a daily basis. So many of the teas in the 24 days of Tea calendar were either super minty (no good for my stomach) or so sweet that I couldn’t see myself buying more. This one was a pleasant change to that pattern.

Flavors: Earth, Malt, Smooth

3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML
Evol Ving Ness

I would recommend DT’s Honey Black as well, if you can get some before it disappears for good.

Kristal

I agree, the 24 days of tea had too many flavoured teas for my taste. I guess that is their niche, though.

M

I will definitely need to try the Honey Black. That sounds right up my alley.

Evol Ving Ness

If you are interested, you need to get on it as it is being retired. You may find it in DT shops or online still though.

M

I’ll take a look online, thanks! Sadly I’m nowhere near a store these days.

I think my tealog lately consists only of this tea with maybe a few others sprinkled here and there. I haven’t wanted anything else. In fact, my supply of this is getting low and I’m a little bummed since I’ve put myself on an unofficial buying hiatus until I can clear out some of my older teas. Today’s was an especially good cup and I’ve actually already finished it in the time it’s taken me to type the first three sentences. I have no self-control when it comes to favorites. There can be no sipping here.

Second Steep
8 ounces water + 205 degrees + 20 minutes

I had to have a second cup of this because it’s usually just as good on the second steep. The chocolate is still there and it’s creamy and sweet. Nearly as perfect as the first.

Flavors: Chocolate

M

I have a little sample of this one sitting on my desk from the tea calendar. Definitely going to try it today now that I’ve seen your review!

Shae

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! I’ll be looking for your tasting note to see what you think. :)

Evol Ving Ness

Heads up, people! This one is listed in the fond farewell section of DTs. If you like it and want more, snatch it up while you can.

Shae

Oh no!! Thanks so much for letting us know. Looks like I’ll be making a purchase much sooner than I had planned.

Shae

I see the Honey Black in their Fond Farewells list, but I’m not seeing this one. Was it in an email?

Evol Ving Ness

Oh! Sorry. I muddled up Honey Black with Nepal Black. Oh dear. But the silver lining is that the situation is saved and your tea is not going anywhere—as far as I know. I think I had Honey Black on my mind because there has been so much buzz about it. Again, sorry for the false alarm.

Shae

No worries! Glad to hear it was a false alarm. :)

Evol Ving Ness

Aha. Today I picked up a bit of both of these teas to sample and compare.

Shae

I’m curious to know what you think. The Honey Black does sound good but I’m almost afraid to buy some since they are discontinuing it. If it’s as good as the Nepal Black I may get some anyway. I’ll be on the lookout for your note!

Day 10/24 (Falling a little behind)

I really enjoyed this one. In fact, it’s probably my favourite straight black that I’ve ever had. A little malty, kind of sweet, kind of bready—like dipping a warm baguette in honey. No astringency at all. Might even consider picking up some of this.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Honey

Alyssa

Yes! I was so glad I bought a big tin of this one a few weeks ago. I think they may have used smaller leaves in the tins though, because the leaves in my tin are long. It’s definitely one of my favourites as a straight black.

Day 10/24 of 24 Days of Tea

Darn, another tea I can’t really drink :( Brewed up a big mug for my husband then took 2 gulps to do a review.

If I was able to drink black tea, I would love this one. Nice body, and a slight bit of astringency (I brewed at 200F, Bitterness would probably be eliminated if I went down to 190F). This would be nice to have in the morning, plus if I’m not mistaken this comes from a small farm in Nepal. I really like when I can get teas (green teas for me) from small family run farms :)

200 °F / 93 °C 4 min, 0 sec 17 OZ / 500 ML
Alyssa

Here’s to hoping your tea will come soon!

I’ve been a little disappointed with the teas lately. I’m not sure if it’s because they are mostly teas I’d never pick, or if they really aren’t great in general.

Kristal

I’ve noticed the vast majority of the calendar is flavoured teas (whether it be fruits, spice or candy) which is DAVIDs niche. Most of the teas I own outside of the calendar are straight greens and “medicinal herbals”. Maybe that’s it?

Alyssa

Yeah, I think so. It makes me think I need to look beyond David’s once this calendar is done.

Kristal

Yeah, I still find there are some great staples with DAVIDs, but I am quickly developing a love for International House of Tea which focusses on wellness and natural, high quality ingredients. Steeped tea is ok for a couple blends, but a lot of their stuff is flavoured as well :/. Surprisingly, I’ve really enjoyed some Celestial Seasonings Tea despite them being dirt cheap.

Alyssa

Looks like they have a great selection. It reminds me of the little tea store I used to frequent at the mall in North Bay when I lived there. Right after I left, they were replaced by David’s Tea.

Kristal

Aw, so sad :( Ironically I was talking to the owner of IHOT on facebook and she said they couldn’t have been happier when DAVIDs came to town because it got more people interested in tea, therefore their business went up in sales.

Mookit

Why aren’t you able to drink black tea? :(

Kristal

I have stomach problems + acid reflux and I find Black/pu’erh teas to be harsh on it. Green seems to be alright though so at least I have that!

Mookit

Sorry to hear that, but I’m glad you’re able to drink green! Most of my favourite teas are green or herbal, plus there’s just so many different teas apart from black. :)

Kristal

Exactly! Always a lot of options :)

What a pleasant surprise! I have never been a fan of straight black tea but this has changed my mind. This does not have the heavy malt, astringent, bitter taste a lot of other black teas have. This one is mellow, gentle, and softly sweet. It is helped along considerably by a little added sweetener like agave, but only modestly. Some of the dry tea leaves have golden tips which makes it beautiful looking, too!
Part of the DAVIDsTEA permanent collection.

Flavors: Honey, Malt