Nepal Black

Honey, Malt, Cocoa
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “Huh. Wow. Steeping this for 2 minutes at 195F gives me delightful honey flavour and no bad stuff. I like it! Plain!! (I better like it. I have an other 50g bag sitting in the cupboard!)” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1458 tasting notes
  • “1TB for 450mL water. 6 minute steep, 98C water. Rating: 95. Yum. I wasn't expecting this to live up to the hype, but yeah, it's really nice. A bit Darjeeling-y, which is not a surprise, given...” Read full tasting note
    MButlerHallett 512 tasting notes
  • “Very first order of the agenda here, can we all please agree that the country is called NEpal and that there is no such country as NApal? Thank you. This seems a common error, and some people do it...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1276 tasting notes
  • “Ever have one of those tea days where nothing goes as planned? not a disaster exactly, just not what you expected. That was today. See, I had planned to bring in one of the many samples I received...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1307 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Take you higher

There are good things brewing in the Highlands of Nepal. Like this hand-made black tea, from a small family-owned tea garden named Jun Chiyabari. From the first sip you’ll notice its rich, sweet, honey-like flavour. What doesn’t come through in the cup is how much good this little tea garden does. They’ve set up a ton of amazing community programs to benefit local schools, underprivileged families, and the elderly. This particular tea is a DAVIDsTEA exclusive – now that’s a good thing. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Black tea from Nepal.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Simple Plain Black tea, smooth texture throughout the whole sipping experience :)

Pre-steeped it has that cocoa smell common in Chinese teas.
That changed the second I steeped it, the smell and taste here is pretty unique. I guess the closest thing I would compare the flavor to is grilled artichoke, and/or maybe marinated olives? Rich and robust, kind of surprised others found it mild. Creamy mouthfeel. Held up well to multiple infusions. A winner for sure.

My favorite straight black from DAVIDsTEA (even though I’ve only tried three in store). The light honey flavor mixes in perfectly with the black tea (it’s hard to believe the taste is actually from the tea and there is no added honey). So soothing. No astringency on the first steep (I didn’t notice any). Tasted even better on the third steep.

This tea is amazing. One of my favourite black teas. As others commented it has a nice earthy flavor and such an amazing smell. A solid black tea.

This one is very sweet and perfect for my early morning wake up. It had just a hair of astringency but not enough that I minded. It was light enough to be good for a warm morning, but had a bit of toasty going on to make it good for cool mornings as well. Handy, because we have had both here in PA over the last couple days.

My morning cup. I read the reviews here and I knew I would love it so I got a full tin of this. Not disappointed! This takes milk and sugar very well but it’s also good straight.

Flavors: Honey, Malt

I had too many Chinese black teas, so I decided to try this. Though it does remind me a little of Chinese tea. It has a nice sweet, malty scent. The flavour is either malty or honey, with subtle hints of cocoa. Now for another cup and an episode of Star Trek.

Flavors: Cocoa, Honey, Malt

Don’t mind me, I’m just here getting tea drunk by myself on a Sunday morning. Holy crap I felt it a little bit before, but I’m 2/3 of the way through this mug and it hit me hard. The dry leaf of this tea reminded me of the Golden Monkey (The Northern Lights Tea Company) that I just tried. It has the same marigold-colored leaves interspersed through the darker brown but the leaves are longer than the golden monkey. Taste-wise, I am also reminded of golden monkey, but without the strong cocoa notes. It seems like a more tame version of golden monkey. All in all, a good cuppa! Thanks for getting me tea drunk, Virginia! LOL

TheTeaFairy

That makes two of us then, getting tea drunk as well :-)

mj

Cheers :-)

This tea is very good. It is a great cup to grab on the go, when you want to drink something yummy quickly. It is very good as a whole, and the flavor profile is quite simple. Malty, sweet, probably tastes like what people that aren’t really into tea expect a black tea to taste like. I enjoy it a lot. Gets the job done :)

TheTeaFairy

This one was what started my black tea journey…my first straight black tea!

caile

I enjoyed this one as well!

Smell – orange pekoe? I also smell something floral, which I personally dislike in a tea, so hopefully there is none of that in the taste.
Color is a taupe with my milk added.
Taste – I’m getting a bitter note at the end. I don’t think I’m liking it.
When cold – it does taste like a standard unflavored black tea, and since I like them weak, maybe I will use less leaf and try it as a quick steep next time.
Result – I want to try again with less steeping before I make my final judgement.