Nepal Black

Honey, Tannin, Nuts, Malt, Earth, Smooth, Chocolate, Creamy, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Baked Bread, Bitter, Dry Grass, Hay, Molasses, Wood, Flowers, Cocoa, Apricot, Fruity, Mineral, Peach, Maple, Sweet
Kosher, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “Huh. Wow. Steeping this for 2 minutes at 195F gives me delightful honey flavour and no bad stuff. I like it! Plain!! (I better like it. I have an other 50g bag sitting in the cupboard!)” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 2194 tasting notes
  • “1TB for 450mL water. 6 minute steep, 98C water. Rating: 95. Yum. I wasn’t expecting this to live up to the hype, but yeah, it’s really nice. A bit Darjeeling-y, which is not a surprise,...” Read full tasting note
    MButlerHallett 561 tasting notes
  • “Very first order of the agenda here, can we all please agree that the country is called NEpal and that there is no such country as NApal? Thank you. This seems a common error, and some people do it...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1328 tasting notes
  • “Ever have one of those tea days where nothing goes as planned? not a disaster exactly, just not what you expected. That was today. See, I had planned to bring in one of the many samples I received...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1551 tasting notes

Take you higher

There are good things brewing in the Highlands of Nepal. Like this hand-made black tea, from a small family-owned tea garden named Jun Chiyabari. From the first sip you’ll notice its rich, sweet, honey-like flavour. What doesn’t come through in the cup is how much good this little tea garden does. They’ve set up a ton of amazing community programs to benefit local schools, underprivileged families, and the elderly. This particular tea is a DAVIDsTEA exclusive – now that’s a good thing. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Black tea from Nepal.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Pre-steeped it has that cocoa smell common in Chinese teas.
That changed the second I steeped it, the smell and taste here is pretty unique. I guess the closest thing I would compare the flavor to is grilled artichoke, and/or maybe marinated olives? Rich and robust, kind of surprised others found it mild. Creamy mouthfeel. Held up well to multiple infusions. A winner for sure.

My favorite straight black from DAVIDsTEA (even though I’ve only tried three in store). The light honey flavor mixes in perfectly with the black tea (it’s hard to believe the taste is actually from the tea and there is no added honey). So soothing. No astringency on the first steep (I didn’t notice any). Tasted even better on the third steep.

This tea is amazing. One of my favourite black teas. As others commented it has a nice earthy flavor and such an amazing smell. A solid black tea.

This is a nice black tea – but it reminds me of Honey Black, as in there’s a nice sweet honey note to it. It would be good with milk too.

Flavors: Honey, Tannin

Nice black leaf tea with a good amount of golden tips. The aroma was definitely pleasing. I had this brewed at the store. It waa was a little remaniscent of Oolong Supreme. Different from a ceylon. Two steepings each 3 minutes. I would have it again.

Flavors: Nuts

This was my first black tea I tried that was from the Nepal region, so I was really excited to see what this would taste like.

I didn’t want to get my hopes up so I tried not to have high expectations. I was pleasantly surprised when I took the first sip and my taste buds started to dance in delight.

Nepal Black is delicious!

When brewed it had a lovely dark golden honey/medium to dark orange colour to it. The taste itself was pretty smooth and sweet. I didn’t even feel the need to add in any milk or sweetener. At times it also felt like I could definitely taste honey.

The tea leaves also look very interesting. They are rolled, long pieces of black tea leaves. This was also a fun one to watch unfurl in my clear glass tea mug that I used.

I’ve found that most Nepalese teas are reminiscent of Darjeelings but this is much more like an Assam. It has that characteristic malty robustness, though it doesn’t have the bitterness that some strong Assams carry as I can enjoy this tea perfectly fine without adding milk to soften it. As other people have noted, there definitely a molasses undertone to it that’s quite enjoyable. DT found a good one.

Delightfull, not full bodied or bitter, even if over steeped

This one is really nice. Some days you just need a smooth, quality black tea without all the frills.
I only had a tiny sample of this one, but I think I’ll end up going back for more. It’s something I could see myself drinking in the mornings on a daily basis. So many of the teas in the 24 days of Tea calendar were either super minty (no good for my stomach) or so sweet that I couldn’t see myself buying more. This one was a pleasant change to that pattern.

Flavors: Earth, Malt, Smooth

3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML
Evol Ving Ness

I would recommend DT’s Honey Black as well, if you can get some before it disappears for good.

I agree, the 24 days of tea had too many flavoured teas for my taste. I guess that is their niche, though.

I will definitely need to try the Honey Black. That sounds right up my alley.

Evol Ving Ness

If you are interested, you need to get on it as it is being retired. You may find it in DT shops or online still though.

I’ll take a look online, thanks! Sadly I’m nowhere near a store these days.

I think my tealog lately consists only of this tea with maybe a few others sprinkled here and there. I haven’t wanted anything else. In fact, my supply of this is getting low and I’m a little bummed since I’ve put myself on an unofficial buying hiatus until I can clear out some of my older teas. Today’s was an especially good cup and I’ve actually already finished it in the time it’s taken me to type the first three sentences. I have no self-control when it comes to favorites. There can be no sipping here.

Second Steep
8 ounces water + 205 degrees + 20 minutes

I had to have a second cup of this because it’s usually just as good on the second steep. The chocolate is still there and it’s creamy and sweet. Nearly as perfect as the first.

Flavors: Chocolate

I have a little sample of this one sitting on my desk from the tea calendar. Definitely going to try it today now that I’ve seen your review!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! I’ll be looking for your tasting note to see what you think. :)

Evol Ving Ness

Heads up, people! This one is listed in the fond farewell section of DTs. If you like it and want more, snatch it up while you can.

Oh no!! Thanks so much for letting us know. Looks like I’ll be making a purchase much sooner than I had planned.

I see the Honey Black in their Fond Farewells list, but I’m not seeing this one. Was it in an email?

Evol Ving Ness

Oh! Sorry. I muddled up Honey Black with Nepal Black. Oh dear. But the silver lining is that the situation is saved and your tea is not going anywhere—as far as I know. I think I had Honey Black on my mind because there has been so much buzz about it. Again, sorry for the false alarm.

No worries! Glad to hear it was a false alarm. :)

Evol Ving Ness

Aha. Today I picked up a bit of both of these teas to sample and compare.

I’m curious to know what you think. The Honey Black does sound good but I’m almost afraid to buy some since they are discontinuing it. If it’s as good as the Nepal Black I may get some anyway. I’ll be on the lookout for your note!