Nepal Black

Nuts, Malt, Tannin, Earth, Smooth, Chocolate, Creamy, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Baked Bread, Honey, Bitter, Dry Grass, Hay, Molasses, Wood, Flowers, Cocoa, Apricot, Fruity, Mineral, Peach, Maple, Sweet
Medium
Kosher, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “Huh. Wow. Steeping this for 2 minutes at 195F gives me delightful honey flavour and no bad stuff. I like it! Plain!! (I better like it. I have an other 50g bag sitting in the cupboard!)” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 2194 tasting notes
  • “1TB for 450mL water. 6 minute steep, 98C water. Rating: 95. Yum. I wasn’t expecting this to live up to the hype, but yeah, it’s really nice. A bit Darjeeling-y, which is not a surprise,...” Read full tasting note
    MButlerHallett 561 tasting notes
  • “Very first order of the agenda here, can we all please agree that the country is called NEpal and that there is no such country as NApal? Thank you. This seems a common error, and some people do it...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1328 tasting notes
  • “Ever have one of those tea days where nothing goes as planned? not a disaster exactly, just not what you expected. That was today. See, I had planned to bring in one of the many samples I received...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1545 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Take you higher

There are good things brewing in the Highlands of Nepal. Like this hand-made black tea, from a small family-owned tea garden named Jun Chiyabari. From the first sip you’ll notice its rich, sweet, honey-like flavour. What doesn’t come through in the cup is how much good this little tea garden does. They’ve set up a ton of amazing community programs to benefit local schools, underprivileged families, and the elderly. This particular tea is a DAVIDsTEA exclusive – now that’s a good thing. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Black tea from Nepal.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Day 10/24 of 24 Days of Tea

Darn, another tea I can’t really drink :( Brewed up a big mug for my husband then took 2 gulps to do a review.

If I was able to drink black tea, I would love this one. Nice body, and a slight bit of astringency (I brewed at 200F, Bitterness would probably be eliminated if I went down to 190F). This would be nice to have in the morning, plus if I’m not mistaken this comes from a small farm in Nepal. I really like when I can get teas (green teas for me) from small family run farms :)

200 °F / 93 °C 4 min, 0 sec 17 OZ / 500 ML
Alyssa

Here’s to hoping your tea will come soon!

I’ve been a little disappointed with the teas lately. I’m not sure if it’s because they are mostly teas I’d never pick, or if they really aren’t great in general.

Kristal

I’ve noticed the vast majority of the calendar is flavoured teas (whether it be fruits, spice or candy) which is DAVIDs niche. Most of the teas I own outside of the calendar are straight greens and “medicinal herbals”. Maybe that’s it?

Alyssa

Yeah, I think so. It makes me think I need to look beyond David’s once this calendar is done.

Kristal

Yeah, I still find there are some great staples with DAVIDs, but I am quickly developing a love for International House of Tea which focusses on wellness and natural, high quality ingredients. Steeped tea is ok for a couple blends, but a lot of their stuff is flavoured as well :/. Surprisingly, I’ve really enjoyed some Celestial Seasonings Tea despite them being dirt cheap.

Alyssa

Looks like they have a great selection. It reminds me of the little tea store I used to frequent at the mall in North Bay when I lived there. Right after I left, they were replaced by David’s Tea.

Kristal

Aw, so sad :( Ironically I was talking to the owner of IHOT on facebook and she said they couldn’t have been happier when DAVIDs came to town because it got more people interested in tea, therefore their business went up in sales.

Mookit

Why aren’t you able to drink black tea? :(

Kristal

I have stomach problems + acid reflux and I find Black/pu’erh teas to be harsh on it. Green seems to be alright though so at least I have that!

Mookit

Sorry to hear that, but I’m glad you’re able to drink green! Most of my favourite teas are green or herbal, plus there’s just so many different teas apart from black. :)

Kristal

Exactly! Always a lot of options :)

What a pleasant surprise! I have never been a fan of straight black tea but this has changed my mind. This does not have the heavy malt, astringent, bitter taste a lot of other black teas have. This one is mellow, gentle, and softly sweet. It is helped along considerably by a little added sweetener like agave, but only modestly. Some of the dry tea leaves have golden tips which makes it beautiful looking, too!
Part of the DAVIDsTEA permanent collection.

Flavors: Honey, Malt

Advent calendar [10/24]

I had purchased this tea long before the advent calendar, so I don’t feel the need to review it again. I find it to be a nicely flavoured plain black tea. This is something that DAVIDs seems to have issues with. Perhaps there’s no market for plain blacks when the main customer base prefers funky teas.

Flavors: Honey, Molasses

Boiling 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Kristal

I find they do have some great, straight green teas, but yes their customer base tends to be those who like flavoured stuff.

Alyssa

Which are your favourite greens from there? I’m just getting back into greens now that I’ve figured out how to enjoy them best. I’ve discovered I’m really picky about greens and whites because they seem to taste infinitely better when sipped in small cups from a large cast iron teapot.

Kristal

I must admit I’m not personally into matcha, but I otherwise some of their most expensive teas are my favourites. Butterfly Jasmine + dragon Pearls are lovely jasmine blends, Gyokuro Yamishiro is so buttery (but very delicate so carful with steeping!), roasted gyokuro is a little bolder but very nice, Lung Ching was a nice, gentle, limited edition tea, and for cheaper, but still nice, grassy blends their Japanese sencha + dragonwell are both lovely. I’m also going to retry Sencha Ashikubo cause I remember that being very nice.

(you’ll notice that all of the ones I chose are non-flavoured blends other than Jasmine, haha).

Kristal

double checking the website, I actually didn’t mind a few flavoured blends: genmaicha with it’s popcorn flavour, some velvet morning with it’s citrus addition, countess of seville for it’s earl-grey flavour, and it’s been a while but I remember liking cold zing for it’s lemongrass + citrus addition.

Alyssa

Yes! My favourite green of theirs is the dragon pearls. I have not tried butterfly jasmine. I got my mom to buy a 100g tin of it last year. It was a big step because she and my dad dislike nearly any kind of tea. I love genmaicha but I have oodles of bags of it.

Thank you for the suggestions. :)

Kristal

No problem! I seriously recommend butterfly jasmine :) I always use my points for expensive teas so last quarter I got $60 (of butterfly jasmine) for free. It was awesome.

Man, this is an interesting tea! Each steep tastes slightly different. It’s got some sweet notes to it which I am loving.

It’s funny that I started out mostly liking flavored teas. But at least with David’s Teas, I am starting to enjoy their plain teas much more. I guess that my palate is becoming educated. I really like this Nepal Black, and I will definitely have it again.

Flavors: Honey, Malt

Love it! I’ve tried longer steeps which brings out a lot more complexity and never any over bearing bitterness even close to 10 min. This morning I tried a 5min 45sec steep with milk and sugar (rare treat for me) and its delicious! I get a lot of hay/cocoa notes from this tea and it has a natural sweetness to it.

Flavors: Chocolate, Hay, Honey, Malt, Molasses

Michelle Butler Hallett

Yeah, this one is gorgeous.

ropeadope

Almost out of my first 100g, I think I’m using too much (heaped teaspoons) but its delicious! Really cool Twitter feed from the estate in which it is grown: https://twitter.com/junchiyabari

Oooh, thanks for that!

I am proud of myself that I guessed this tea might be from a Yunnan cuttings transplanted into Nepal soil. Turns out I was right.

Michelle Butler Hallett

And Jun Chiyabari rocks. They treat their workers very well.

Yeah, this one definitely didn’t live up to expectations…
Was kinda malty…kinda woody…not tons of flavor. I’m sure if you steep it longer than the advised steeping time you will get more flavor but….I don’t feel like it’s worth trying again. Just doesn’t seem like any of the great things I would be…
DavidsTea really isn’t all that great with unflavored teas…they need to stick with unflavored teas!
Thank you to Allan K for the sample though! Probably would have wasted my money on it at some point otherwise D:

Flavors: Malt, Wood

Although I’ve been having a constitutional “Red Rose” black tea after supper for years, I’ve only recently begun exploring better quality black teas. Of the various black teas from David’s Tea that I’ve tried, this is one of my favourites. It has a rich, earthy body, and it really does leave a sweet “honey” flavour on your tongue at the end. It also resteeps well, so it provides me with good value.

Flavors: Earth, Honey

I could drink a lot of this. And I probably will. Malty, slightly chocolatey, and no astringency to speak of. There’s a wet leaf-pile feel to it, which I mean in the best way.

I steeped it at a safe 4 minutes, so maybe if I had a bit longer… I don’t know. I had planned on trying more straight black teas, but I’m quite pleased with this one, so I’m going to show a level of self-control that I’m completely unfamiliar with, and stick with just keeping this around and not buy samples of every single straight black tea I can get my grubby hands on.

It sounds all good written down, but we’ll see how long that lasts!