Nepal Black

Earth, Malt, Smooth, Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet, Baked Bread, Honey, Bitter, Dry Grass, Hay, Molasses, Wood, Flowers, Cocoa, Apricot, Fruity, Mineral, Peach, Tannin, Maple, Sweet
Medium
Kosher, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “Huh. Wow. Steeping this for 2 minutes at 195F gives me delightful honey flavour and no bad stuff. I like it! Plain!! (I better like it. I have an other 50g bag sitting in the cupboard!)” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 2163 tasting notes
  • “1TB for 450mL water. 6 minute steep, 98C water. Rating: 95. Yum. I wasn’t expecting this to live up to the hype, but yeah, it’s really nice. A bit Darjeeling-y, which is not a surprise,...” Read full tasting note
    MButlerHallett 560 tasting notes
  • “Very first order of the agenda here, can we all please agree that the country is called NEpal and that there is no such country as NApal? Thank you. This seems a common error, and some people do it...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1328 tasting notes
  • “Ever have one of those tea days where nothing goes as planned? not a disaster exactly, just not what you expected. That was today. See, I had planned to bring in one of the many samples I received...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1511 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Take you higher

There are good things brewing in the Highlands of Nepal. Like this hand-made black tea, from a small family-owned tea garden named Jun Chiyabari. From the first sip you’ll notice its rich, sweet, honey-like flavour. What doesn’t come through in the cup is how much good this little tea garden does. They’ve set up a ton of amazing community programs to benefit local schools, underprivileged families, and the elderly. This particular tea is a DAVIDsTEA exclusive – now that’s a good thing. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Black tea from Nepal.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Man, this is an interesting tea! Each steep tastes slightly different. It’s got some sweet notes to it which I am loving.

It’s funny that I started out mostly liking flavored teas. But at least with David’s Teas, I am starting to enjoy their plain teas much more. I guess that my palate is becoming educated. I really like this Nepal Black, and I will definitely have it again.

Flavors: Honey, Malt

Love it! I’ve tried longer steeps which brings out a lot more complexity and never any over bearing bitterness even close to 10 min. This morning I tried a 5min 45sec steep with milk and sugar (rare treat for me) and its delicious! I get a lot of hay/cocoa notes from this tea and it has a natural sweetness to it.

Flavors: Chocolate, Hay, Honey, Malt, Molasses

Michelle Butler Hallett

Yeah, this one is gorgeous.

ropeadope

Almost out of my first 100g, I think I’m using too much (heaped teaspoons) but its delicious! Really cool Twitter feed from the estate in which it is grown: https://twitter.com/junchiyabari

Oooh, thanks for that!

I am proud of myself that I guessed this tea might be from a Yunnan cuttings transplanted into Nepal soil. Turns out I was right.

Michelle Butler Hallett

And Jun Chiyabari rocks. They treat their workers very well.

Yeah, this one definitely didn’t live up to expectations…
Was kinda malty…kinda woody…not tons of flavor. I’m sure if you steep it longer than the advised steeping time you will get more flavor but….I don’t feel like it’s worth trying again. Just doesn’t seem like any of the great things I would be…
DavidsTea really isn’t all that great with unflavored teas…they need to stick with unflavored teas!
Thank you to Allan K for the sample though! Probably would have wasted my money on it at some point otherwise D:

Flavors: Malt, Wood

Although I’ve been having a constitutional “Red Rose” black tea after supper for years, I’ve only recently begun exploring better quality black teas. Of the various black teas from David’s Tea that I’ve tried, this is one of my favourites. It has a rich, earthy body, and it really does leave a sweet “honey” flavour on your tongue at the end. It also resteeps well, so it provides me with good value.

Flavors: Earth, Honey

I could drink a lot of this. And I probably will. Malty, slightly chocolatey, and no astringency to speak of. There’s a wet leaf-pile feel to it, which I mean in the best way.

I steeped it at a safe 4 minutes, so maybe if I had a bit longer… I don’t know. I had planned on trying more straight black teas, but I’m quite pleased with this one, so I’m going to show a level of self-control that I’m completely unfamiliar with, and stick with just keeping this around and not buy samples of every single straight black tea I can get my grubby hands on.

It sounds all good written down, but we’ll see how long that lasts!

I love this tea. It goes well with breakfast but it’s also great as a stand-alone. It smells perfumed and it goes down smooth. It has the right balance of malt, leaf, wood, and honey flavors. This is a staple in my cupboard.

Flavors: Honey, Malt

Picked this up from David’s Tea the other day. Brewed it this afternoon and put it in a thermos. It is quite tasty. It somewhat malty with strong notes of cocoa or chocolate.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with boiling water and 3 tsp leaf for 3 min.

Flavors: Cocoa, Malt

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML

I might have over steeped this one. Upon first taste I was greeted with a slight bitter kick but I was surprised by it’s immediate honey and rich but smooth taste. It’d be a good staple if I didn’t have a bunch of other Black teas to get through!

Flavors: Honey