Nepal Black

Honey, Malt, Chocolate, Hay, Molasses, Wood, Earth, Flowers, Cocoa, Apricot, Fruity, Mineral, Peach, Tannin, Maple, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “Huh. Wow. Steeping this for 2 minutes at 195F gives me delightful honey flavour and no bad stuff. I like it! Plain!! (I better like it. I have an other 50g bag sitting in the cupboard!)” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1963 tasting notes
  • “1TB for 450mL water. 6 minute steep, 98C water. Rating: 95. Yum. I wasn’t expecting this to live up to the hype, but yeah, it’s really nice. A bit Darjeeling-y, which is not a surprise,...” Read full tasting note
    MButlerHallett 552 tasting notes
  • “Very first order of the agenda here, can we all please agree that the country is called NEpal and that there is no such country as NApal? Thank you. This seems a common error, and some people do it...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1323 tasting notes
  • “Ever have one of those tea days where nothing goes as planned? not a disaster exactly, just not what you expected. That was today. See, I had planned to bring in one of the many samples I received...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1459 tasting notes

Take you higher

There are good things brewing in the Highlands of Nepal. Like this hand-made black tea, from a small family-owned tea garden named Jun Chiyabari. From the first sip you’ll notice its rich, sweet, honey-like flavour. What doesn’t come through in the cup is how much good this little tea garden does. They’ve set up a ton of amazing community programs to benefit local schools, underprivileged families, and the elderly. This particular tea is a DAVIDsTEA exclusive – now that’s a good thing. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Black tea from Nepal.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I love this tea. It goes well with breakfast but it’s also great as a stand-alone. It smells perfumed and it goes down smooth. It has the right balance of malt, leaf, wood, and honey flavors. This is a staple in my cupboard.

Flavors: Honey, Malt

Picked this up from David’s Tea the other day. Brewed it this afternoon and put it in a thermos. It is quite tasty. It somewhat malty with strong notes of cocoa or chocolate.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with boiling water and 3 tsp leaf for 3 min.

Flavors: Cocoa, Malt

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML

I might have over steeped this one. Upon first taste I was greeted with a slight bitter kick but I was surprised by it’s immediate honey and rich but smooth taste. It’d be a good staple if I didn’t have a bunch of other Black teas to get through!

Flavors: Honey

This is reminiscent of the Blue Mountain Twirl, but slightly muted in comparison. This feel more masculine, which is a funny adjective, but it has more tannin and earth flavors than the bright peachy tones of Blue Mountain Twirl. I’m not an expect, though I love to drink tea, so I would probably have a hard time telling this apart from Blue Mountain Twirl and things like their Yunnan black tea. As I drink this without sugar or milk, the primary flavors are gently earthy with hints of peach or other fruit sweetness, finished with a more tannin feeling and the light flavor of green grapes on my tongue. Worth a taste, and also worth finding the opinion of an actual black tea aficionado for a more in depth review.

Flavors: Apricot, Earth, Fruity, Mineral, Peach, Tannin

I’ve been on a bit of a straight black tea kick recently and have really been enjoying them as a nice change from all the flavoured teas. On my most recent trip I walked in and asked for “a black tea similar to Kenyan Tinderet” and the sales woman pulled this one off the top shelf. She described it as having a sweeter taste than the Kenyan Tinderet and being a less earthy tea. I knew I had to try it and am glad I did. The sweetness is almost like a honey or maple syrup in the background of the tea. I had agave in mine but in all honestly I probably didn’t need it. I really enjoyed this but I will admit that Kenyan Tinderet is still my favourite straight black in the store! Even if you are not a fan of the straight teas due to bad experiences in the past, I think that a sip of this and of Kenyan Tinderet will change your mind and recommend giving both a try!

Flavors: Honey, Maple, Sweet, Tannin

This one is very sweet and perfect for my early morning wake up. It had just a hair of astringency but not enough that I minded. It was light enough to be good for a warm morning, but had a bit of toasty going on to make it good for cool mornings as well. Handy, because we have had both here in PA over the last couple days.

My morning cup. I read the reviews here and I knew I would love it so I got a full tin of this. Not disappointed! This takes milk and sugar very well but it’s also good straight.

Flavors: Honey, Malt

I had too many Chinese black teas, so I decided to try this. Though it does remind me a little of Chinese tea. It has a nice sweet, malty scent. The flavour is either malty or honey, with subtle hints of cocoa. Now for another cup and an episode of Star Trek.

Flavors: Cocoa, Honey, Malt

Don’t mind me, I’m just here getting tea drunk by myself on a Sunday morning. Holy crap I felt it a little bit before, but I’m 2/3 of the way through this mug and it hit me hard. The dry leaf of this tea reminded me of the Golden Monkey (The Northern Lights Tea Company) that I just tried. It has the same marigold-colored leaves interspersed through the darker brown but the leaves are longer than the golden monkey. Taste-wise, I am also reminded of golden monkey, but without the strong cocoa notes. It seems like a more tame version of golden monkey. All in all, a good cuppa! Thanks for getting me tea drunk, Virginia! LOL

That makes two of us then, getting tea drunk as well :-)

Cheers :-)

This tea is very good. It is a great cup to grab on the go, when you want to drink something yummy quickly. It is very good as a whole, and the flavor profile is quite simple. Malty, sweet, probably tastes like what people that aren’t really into tea expect a black tea to taste like. I enjoy it a lot. Gets the job done :)

This one was what started my black tea journey…my first straight black tea!

I enjoyed this one as well!