Cherry Potion

Fruit White Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From DAVIDsTEA

It’s magical
Do you believe in cherries? We do. Especially potent little acerola cherries from Brazil. They’re immune system boosters, collagen creators, lip plumpers – they even stop free radicals from frolicking around our systems. Add a little mango, white Bi Mu Dan tea, hibiscus blossoms and POOF! You’ll fall under its deliciously golden spell.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Oh yum! Let me start by mentioning that I love cherries. And I love most cherry-flavoured stuff. And I love white tea. And I love tart teas with hibiscus. And… well, anyway, as soon as I saw the description, I had no doubt I would loooove the tea. And I did! I have sometimes been disappointed by teas which I expected to love no matter what (for example, Mango Madness), but wow, this one is spot on! The cherry flavour is huge – stay away, cherry haters! I wouldn’t call it overpowering though, I (thankfully) still could taste some of the Bai Mu Dan, but it definitely takes most of the place. It also doesn’t taste artificial like I thought it would. It might not be like eating fresh cherries, but I don’t think it really tastes of cherry candy too much. Not that I’d mind, I love cherry candy!

So yes, for me personally, a total winner.

(One slight disappointment: I always resteep my teas, and this one did pretty poorly on the second brew. Not that it was bad, just pretty empty. But my rating only takes the 1st steep in consideration, so, still a winner!)

This is my third cherry tea, the others being Teaopia’s Wild Cherry herbal tisane and Silk Road’s Japanese Sour Cherry green tea.

Unlike the Wild Cherry, Cherry potion has quite a tart bite to it, thanks to the hibiscus.

I actually like the hibiscus in this! It reminds me of Bear Trap, crisp and fruity, really refreshing both hot and iced. I can’t drink the Wild Cherry hot, it’s too sweet and too much like a ripe cherry, and something about hot cherries doesn’t sit right with me (can you tell I don’t like hot cherry pie? haha).

The Bai Mu Dan definitely takes a back seat in this one, but I’m not sure it’s entirely a bad thing. At the same time, I feel like this would go wonderfully with a green base, something nice and crisp to compliment the crispness of the cherry and hibiscus. I feel like the white base is too soft, too subtle, it needs something with more oomph, you know?

Kittenna

This would be better as a straight herbal, IMO! Or, mixed with a delicious sort of green that DT would never use, haha (e.g. not sencha).

Bear With Me

I only just recently (in the last 6 months) started enjoying green tea, and so the only japanese greens I really know are sencha and gyokuro, and gyokuro definitely wouldn’t go too well in this one, and I’m not a huge Chinese green fan really.

Bear With Me

(also, the only straight sencha I actually like [so far] is DAVIDs Sencha Ashikubo. I need more Japanese greens dangit!)

Tried this one in-store as a cup of tea. I was quite pleased with it. The dry leaves smell delicious – sweet, but not overly so. When it steeped up, the tea was nice and fruity, I could definitely taste the cherries AND the white tea base which was nice. It did not turn acidic or bitter either which was a definite plus. I drank this one with a little bit of honey because of a sore throat. This tea will definitely make a repeat performance on the cut of tea roster, but I’ll likely wait till summer to buy any amount of dry leaf.

This has been languishing in the stash for a while until I got around to trying it. I am a huge fan of cherry, but was leery of the hibiscus in the blend. Tried to combat the Pink Menace with a thirty-second steep, which we’ve found is the best for whites anyway.

My overall impression of this tea was underwhelming. It wasn’t terrible. Certainly drinkable. Sweet, a little bit tart, could definitely taste the cherry and a bit of the mango. Left my mouth feeling a little puffy and dry. Like I said, wasn’t awful. Just forgettable.

Damn you hibiscus! This would be quite a lovely tea if it weren’t for you! I actually thought you were an herbal blend because of you…must go back and edit my last tasting now. Grumble grumble grumble.

This tea is pretty smooth, with the exception for the tartness from the hibiscus, though it does add a very juicy note on my tongue. In all honesty, I could probably take this as an iced tea alright. And I bet it would be awesome with frozen fruit in it as a punch or maybe sangria style. Booze-ing it up might be fine too. :)

So, not my favourite, thanks to the hibiscus, but quite doable in the right setting.

I love the idea, that this is a lip plumper! imagine, lushes large lips? lol my first steep, and no cherries plenty of mangos and hibiscus- i am sold on its benefits of stopping free radicals and collagen creator. I guess i was expecting to taste cherries- and haven’t-just a tad,disappointed. I will only buy it, for its benefit rather than taste. Again- i find it to be more of a light tea and subdued in flavour.

How have I not logged this one before? I have a tiny bit of this one left after a 50g bag! Anyways…

I don’t care for this one either. This is one that I was trying to drink up last week ‘cause I didn’t want to waste it, but i haven’t quite finished it yet. I’ve tried it hot, I’ve tried it cold, but something about the tea seems to just not sit right for me? Maybe it’s the hibiscus. I know how much I don’t like that stuff, and that might be what’s doing it for me. Too bad… I wish I had liked it more.

Anyways, this one is basically a sipdown, so I’ll declare it! Sipdown!

Loved the smell of this, it actually made my mouth water. There were actual full cherries in my bag. It had a nice sweet, slightly tart taste with a nice cherry flavour. One of my new favs for sure.

Got enough to make a pot of this tea during a tea exchange. Didn’t really know anything about it prior, so didn’t have any expectations. I’m actually surprised that a cherry tea never figured on my most wanted list.

First off – the dry leaf and the liqur bost remind me of “Elf Help” scented play-doh. Emphasis on the play-doh. Errr….

Took a sip, and… I’m kinda confused. I don’t taste cherries. Or white tea. I taste something strong and unenjoyable and tart and – AHa! Hibiscus! That ’s why this was not on my most wanted list!

Blech. Hibiscus. And, oddly enough, play-doh. Not even worth finishing the pot.

Faith

When steeped for 30sec @ 80°C it tastes much more enjoyable, I’m sorry you had such a bad experience with this tea…

Kay Kanada

In all honesty, any tea with hibiscus, no matter how I prepare it, ends up on my bad side (with the exception to the rule being Mother’s Little Helper). It’s just one of those things that make me want to sucker punch someone.

LOVED this tea.

DavidsTea sure knows their stuff about how to make a balanced light flavored white tea.
I’m confused by the bitterness statements and I HATE hibiscus but I did not taste or smell any of the meaty spicy scent that is hibiscus.
Hide it from me and I’ll drink any tea with it but hide it well.

I loved how refreshing,light and fruity the tea was.No bitterness at all in my taste test.
I think the problem may be that most teas need 98 degree steep but on this tea it states 94 degrees so basically letting the water cool a bit before steeping.I did not take that into account in my tasting except that I didn’t let my water do a complete boil before steeping and let it cool.Also I used 2 tea spoons as advised.

Maybe it’s a good batch as well or they changed the recipe who knows.

But damn it was good to me.