Rooibos (organic)

Rooibos Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna

• “I'm pretty sure there has to be another entry for this tea somewhere but after five minutes I couldn't find it, so I'll be the first to rate it and note it here. This is my first time drinking...” Read full tasting note
    lauriegilbert 442 tasting notes
  • “I used to be unsure if I liked plain rooibos but now it has become something I like to keep on hand at all times. I like it because it has a very distinct flavour. It's really different from the...” Read full tasting note
    petitetouale 114 tasting notes
  • “While it is an interesting experience to see what rooibos tastes like on its own, I find I prefer it with other things in it. I prefer other rooibos teas like Birthday Cake over plain.” Read full tasting note
    kstjean 104 tasting notes
  • “There is something wonderful about plain rooibos. It's rich like a black tea, but sweeter and creamier, not to mention much better for not keeping you up at night. (I partially blame last night on...” Read full tasting note
    C-chan 270 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Rooibos is becoming more popular in Western countries particularly among health-conscious consumers. It’s caffeine-free and low in astringency compared to fully oxidized black tea or unoxidized green tea leaves. Delicious on its own or with a splash of milk and sugar, it’s a great choice for people trying to kick a caffeine habit.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I’m pretty sure there has to be another entry for this tea somewhere but after five minutes I couldn’t find it, so I’ll be the first to rate it and note it here.

This is my first time drinking straight rooibos. The closest I’ve come before this was some horrid Tetley vanilla infused “red tea” bag over a year ago that was so bad I tossed the container after one cup.

Drinking this as a straight, I can definitely now realize where the rooibos flavour is in all the blended versions I’ve tried. This is deep and earthy and unique, and yet lovely at the same time. I can see why it blends so well with cinnamon now, because I just want to sprinkle some across my cup before I sip.

Since this is my first straight red rooibos, I can’t judge quality, but it definitely seems to me to be a good one, compared to the flavoured rooibos I’ve tried before. For drinking it straight, though, I think I prefer it in green form.

I used to be unsure if I liked plain rooibos but now it has become something I like to keep on hand at all times. I like it because it has a very distinct flavour. It’s really different from the camellia sinensis teas, but still very flavourful. It reminds me a little bit of safflower (american “saffron”). The fact that is has no caffeine makes it my go to choice when I want something more robust than an herbal before bed. You can definitely add sugar and/or milk to rooibos, it complements it very well. But my favorite thing to add to it is about half a teaspoon of honey. I find that it makes the whole cup of tea taste like hot milk… or maybe i’m weird :P

There is something wonderful about plain rooibos. It’s rich like a black tea, but sweeter and creamier, not to mention much better for not keeping you up at night. (I partially blame last night on having one too many cups of black tea before bed. x_x)

I could almost drink this on its own as a dessert tea, or use it as a nice, mellow side for something sweet, as I’m doing now. It’s lovely, and I can really see why it’s used as a base for so many dessert teas; it holds its own there very well.

I like the flavored ones better.

My fave rooibos. With milk or without I find this a nice soothing tea before bed.