Cranberry Pear

Apricot
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From DAVIDsTEA

Berry good

A few months ago, David tried a fruity dessert tea that knocked his socks off. It was subtle and refined, delicately floral and slightly sweet. He was intrigued. He had to have it. But what was the secret ingredient? Cranberries. Normally associated with a neon red holiday sauce, these beautiful berries really sing when paired with rich, floral black tea. Here we blend them with big pieces of pear and apple for the fruit and black tea blend you won’t believe you ever went without.

Ingredients: Cranberry, black tea, pear, apple, artificial flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Gah-I REALLY don’t like this! Giving this a lower rating. I dumped the mug and have decided that I won’t finish this tea. The artificial flavoring is overwhelming and nasty. There is very little tea in this “tea”. The dominant ingredient in this tea is cranberry, and I can’t taste it at all thanks to the artificial flavoring. I deleted my old review so as not to bury a tea with multiple poor ratings but you can read it below:

“Actual steep temp 208, to be precise.

My first order from DAVIdS and I had high hopes for this one-good Steepster reviews and a great flavor pairing with Cranberry and Pear. And it’s just, meh.

First off, the photo on here for this tea is misleading-I have hardly any tea at all in this. Basically, I had to look for stray strands of tea leaves. It’s maybe 10% tea. I would call this a glorified tisane, really. It’s not a huge deal, because then it means less caffeine and I could always use less caffeine, but I was expecting more TEA. Perhaps there is more tea on the bottom of the bag if I transfer to a tin and shake it around. However, I am not doing that because I imagine the oily and strong artificial aroma would be really difficult to remove from a tin. I only bought 50 grams in a quality, re-sealable foil pouch, so that is where it stays.

So, in the brewed aroma I smell some pear and the artificial flavoring (wondering if it is alchohol-based? Sure seems like it.) I don’t smell or taste much cranberry at all. The artificial flavor is really strong-shame there’s no cranberry in it. I taste some pear and apple. Had one cup with sugar, one without. Sugared cup is better. It’s not bad or bitter, but it’s kinda dull. The artificial flavoring is predominant and I don’t care for that. I’ll probably finish this-especially on days where I want lower caffeine. But I will do it without any enthusiasm. Won’t be buying this again. I am not big on flavoring added to tea, but after this, I think I am banning any tea with artificial flavors from my cabinet."

Dinosara

FYI, your rating only affects the tea’s overall numerical score once, so you can write as many reviews as you want and it won’t get oversaturated with poor ratings. In fact, usually your reviews on the tea’s page will clump together with the most liked/commented one first, then the others hidden until you click “1 more tasting note” or something.

Scott B

Ok, thanks. Maybe I should withhold rating numbers on teas until I am certain. I gave this a 64 last time.

Kittenna

You can also change your rating to your heart’s content. Just go under ‘tea ratings’ in the top right (under ‘You’). I think many people adjust their ratings after trying a tea a second time, or after they’ve explored other options. I certainly do.

Kittenna

And yes, it won’t let you leave two different numerical ratings for the same tea anyhow.

Scott B

Thanks, Krystaleyn. Yeah, I’ve seen a lot of people up ratings as they become more familiar with a tea. I’ve never seen anyone lower a rating, though.

Kittenna

They just don’t say they did :P I’ve done it!

TheTeaFairy

DT’s has many very good flavored teas but I do agree on this one, not their best!

Scott B

Well, this one has really scared me off the flavored stuff-seems like they use artificial flavors in most of them.

Wow, I kinda like this one!! with my ‘buds existing in half-life zone(yeah they slipped back a little but I don’t mind because I know it isn’t perm!)… I didn’t expect much of anything from this or any other tea. Moreover, there wasn’t much leaf in the sample – I wonder, is that normal for this one? or did I just get a randomly overly fruit-filled bag?
Anyhow, the pear brings out some natural sweetness, and the cranberry is really nice, not too bitter or sour- kinda mellow (compared to what I expected).
I can taste the tea, which is nice. So many teas that go heavy on the fruit just drown out any camellia! I’m tempted to buy some- it seems to work with my condition :)
There is NO maltiness whatsoever(my curse I suppose), just that something extra that sings of “tea” but the fruityness rounds it out for me and thus for the first time ever since this whole mess started, I don’t mind!
I mean, I’ve enjoyed teas a whole lot more in the past… just not this much since I took my hiatus.
I’m cautiously excited here. Sorta toe-dancing happy. Still, I’m in a great mood!!! xx
P.S. I’ve tried catching up on everyone’s reviews. They really pile up when I don’t come around so often…

SimpliciTEA

I am glad to hear you are enjoying this tea!

Indigobloom

hehe thx SimpliciTea, it’s a relief to be sure! :)

What a day yesterday, I’m still exhausted! Had such an amazing time though.

I wasn’t so sure about this one, but went ahead and dived right in. Very fruity, I can definitely taste the cranberry especially in the aftertaste. The acidity of the pear however hits you dead on, giving you a spark of tartness as soon as you sip. I’m not crazy about the whole sourish taste I’m getting out of all of this, but it’s not overbearing so I can tolerate it.

I probably won’t be repurchasing this one any time soon. But I’ll finish my sample happily whenever I feel like something a little less decadent and a little more sour and fruity.

A huge thanks to Ellyn for sharing this tea with me in the 12 Days of Steepster Christmas swap this year. Her packaging was beautiful – vacuum packed package of this tea, with a very professional-looking label detailing all of the ingredients, as well as the day it represented (Partridge in a Pear Tree).

This smells delicious, and has huge chunks of cranberry and what I assume are dried pears in the mix. It’s just as lovely steeped up in the smell department, and it does taste as described. I doubt I would have ever tried this on my own, or thought of it as a holiday tea. Yet, it really does fit the occasion, and is lovely to boot.

Thanks again Ellyn!

Ellyn

I’m GlAd you liked it!

For the 12 Days of Christmas ~
This is a ♡pearfect♡ First Day Tea…I love it.
The cranberry is fresh, not too tart, and the pear and apple
are freshly sweet and linger on the palette.
This tea is incredibly delightful.
Merry Christmas everyone.

JustJames

merry christmas CelebriTea…. hope your day is lovely with shining little faces everywhere. =0)

CelebriTEA

Thanks James….best to you as well ;-)

This tea has a lot of potential, and I expect to up the rating at some point. I actually feel like I was just unlucky with it: I went and bought 50g of it, and when I made a big teapot of it this morning, I couldn’t help but notice that everything my spoon seemed to be able to find in the bag was dried fruits. I mean, that’s not a bad thing, but where’s the black tea?! What I have in my bag looks nothing like the picture, I actually counted 2 small tea leaves in 5 teaspoons total. I assume that this being a new tea, their big tin was full at the store and the tea had all slipped to the bottom, leaving me with lots of fruits and no black tea.

Anyway, even without much black tea, cranberry and pear sounds like a pretty good combination, and it is. Without any surprise, it tasted very fruity, with hints of tartness and a natural sweetness. Definitely yummy, but somewhat empty; the body seemed only half-filled with this great fruitiness, and half-filled with… well the taste of water. I assume that the black is what is supposed to complete the first half, and I’m sure the combination would actually be great. I’ll add some myself to go through the rest of this bag of dried fruits and see how it ends up. I might re-rate after I feel like I had a proper experience of what this tea is supposed to be.

DaisyChubb

maybe try blending with a plain China black if you have it, mine was the exact same, but I think youre right about getting your 50g from the top of the back ha ha, all our tea must have been at the bottom!

DaisyChubb

Bag not back, silly phone x_x

Eisenherz

Yes, I thought exactly the same, this would blend well with a China black. Sadly I don’t have any at the moment, but I have lots of Indian ones, so I’ll try them out. I think the Nepal Black of DT would be wonderful in there! But I would sort of feel bad mixing it with anything, because it is SO good on its own, it would feel like I’m wasting it! :P

DaisyChubb

Hey, if you love it, drink it! It’s only 50 g and full of fruit, to weight it down lol, maybe next time you’ll get a better tea: fruit ratio if you get more :3

Eisenherz

lol, you’re right, there’s no real problem here! If I’m to buy more, though, I’ll ask to see what it looks like in their big tin before I commit to buy another 50g! :P

Good call!

sarai

I would suggest shaking your bag/tin a bit – I found that the majority of the fruit sat at the top while most of the tea fell to the bottom.

I have to give this tea a huge ratings boost, since it is my go to tea every morning and every time I have it I smile. This is my favourite black blend, and I can’t believe that I haven’t gotten around to changing its rating yet or reviewing it again. Anyway, the smell is amazing- exactly like cream soda, and the taste is almost as good. You really taste the cranberry when brewed, and the base black is very mild and pleasant. This tea gives me the kick I need to start my day and has captured my heart. My tin is running dangerously empty, looks like a trip to DAVIDs is in order!!!!

When I read some reviews of this one I really wanted to try it because it seemed like my kind of tea. I love cranberries and pears, so why not together with black tea? Luckily DaisyChubb sent me a sample! Thanks!

The leaf is full of big chunks of fruit, cranberries, apples, and pears (which look pretty weird when rehydrated). I was totally not expecting the aroma after it steeped. Mmm, caramel! Where is that coming from? Underneath the caramel are notes of black tea and appley fruit. The flavor is primarily fruit… definitely apple and pear, with some tart cranberry in the second part of the sip. The caramel notes manifest very lightly in the aftertaste. The black tea just kind of sits down at the foundation, not too present, which is fine with me because when it does peek out I’m not sure I like it’s flavor too much. The fruit flavors, possibly mostly the cranberry, are fairly tart and have a slightly drying mouthfeel. Overall this tea is very tasty, and very autumnal!

Sipdown the 8th. At first glance I thought this was a herbal. There were several large chunks of pear and dried cranberries, but not a whole lot of black tea. After a four minute steep, the tea leaves opened up enough to convince me that there was indeed a decent amount of black tea that had been hiding away. However, the liquor was a very pale yellow which is not what I was expecting for 1 tbs. of tea in 12 oz. of water.

Nonetheless, the tea was rather pleasant. The pear added a juicy tartness, and I could taste a hint of cranberry. I sensed a very faint spiciness akin to cinnamon, but I don’t see it listed in the ingredients. The experience reminded me of drinking a nicely flavored herbal, but was not what I had in mind for a black tea.

On a strange note, I steeped a bag of particularly strong masala chai in my cup without first rinsing it out. Now I am enjoying a really great pear-flavored chai. I wish all of my tea accidents turned out this yummy. :)

Thanks for sharing, Sil!

mm pear flavoured chai sounds delish!