Cranberry Pear

Apple, Artificial Flavouring, Black Tea, Cranberry, Pear
Artificial, Cranberry, Biting, Pear, Vanilla, Floral, Sweet, Tart, Fruity, Orange, Pastries, Creamy, Apple, Cream, Apricot
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

Berry good

A few months ago, David tried a fruity dessert tea that knocked his socks off. It was subtle and refined, delicately floral and slightly sweet. He was intrigued. He had to have it. But what was the secret ingredient? Cranberries. Normally associated with a neon red holiday sauce, these beautiful berries really sing when paired with rich, floral black tea. Here we blend them with big pieces of pear and apple for the fruit and black tea blend you won’t believe you ever went without.

Ingredients: Cranberry, black tea, pear, apple, artificial flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I bought 100g of Cranberry Pear today, strictly based on the smell and the size of the cranberries. When I got home I made a cup of it and the taste blew my mind! It’s lightly sweet and super fresh. I will be sure to keep this one stocked up!

I’ve been meaning to review this tea for quite a while, along with the 30 other teas I have and haven’t reviewed yet. An argument could be made that I’m a bit of a procrastinator, but I’ll do that some other time (see I’ll even resort to really bad puns to put this review off). But I’m down to my last two teaspoons of this tea, and I prefer to review a tea while sipping it, so I’m kinda down to the wire.

My main problem with reviewing this tea is I didn’t really know what I thought of it. When I first smelled in the store I don’t know what type of mood I was in to decide to take it home with me, because it’s definitely not the type of sent/flavourful I generally go for. There’s an apple-y (from the pears), citrus-y (from the cranberries), vanilla scent to it. I can just assume the vanilla comes from the “natural flavourings” listed in the ingredients.
As an aside I just want to protest the constant use of “natural flavourings” by a lot of tea companies. While I understand they don’t legally have to list all the ingredients if they are under a certain percentage of the mix, for tea even a small amount of a spice makes a very big difference, tea companies should be aware of this, so their laziness is just inconsiderate.
When I first brewed this I didn’t like it very much, it has a distinct ‘Christmas-y’ taste to it that I usually associate with spices (that I really don’t like) like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves – those spices aren’t in here, but they’re equally associated with Christmas as whatever “natural flavours” are in this. The most prominent flavours are the pears (which do come across as apples), followed by vanilla, with bit of tang from the cranberries.
As much as I didn’t like this tea to begin with, it has grown on me. It’s a pretty light black tea, and actually pretty (wow do I ever need my thesaurus) smooth. It also has one of my favorite features in a tea, it allows me to be lazy (yep I am a hypocrite, I want to be lazy, but hate it when the tea stores are). I can just put a teaspoon of the leaves into my 16oz travel tea thermos and let them sit as long as it takes for me to drink it.
I probably won’t re-buy this one again instantly – my tea chest is getting a bit full, and I’m enjoying discovering new flavours. But I can totally see myself buying it again in the future. If I do buy it again I’ll be sure to ask the store associate to scoop around some of the fruit bits, I got a ton of cranberries this time which weight quite a bit, 60 grams of this looked more like 35 grams of Earl Grey.

I bought 50 g of this and the first time I had it, I wasn’t sure if I was going to buy more of it. Turns out, I actually really like this one. Perfect brewing time is 4 minutes if you don’t want it to taste too strong. Will be buying more of this one.

I thought I wouldn’t like this tea because it has apple in it. But I am delightfully surprised and happy I tried this tea! Cranberry Pear is delicious, has just the right amount of sweetness and brings me to a happier mood. I’m a sweet tooth person so this tea will come in handy for all the seasons, I drink it without adding cream/sugar, it doesn’t need it. I’m going back to Davids Tea to buy more today :)

Sweet cranberry flavoured tea, but with an artificial “medicine” berry smell.

Flavors: Artificial, Cranberry

I had this brewed over ice last summer while visiting DAVIDs on a whim with a friend. That time, the flavors really pulled through, and I was moved to buy a couple ounces. Now, drunk hot, I hardly hear any notes other than the acidity of the black tea, the less dimensional pear, and the artificial flavoring. Bummer.

Flavors: Artificial, Biting, Pear

I’m having a remarkably craptastic week (it’s only Wednesday!) so I made a tea cocktail when I got home yesterday afternoon. If I had cake or cookies or ice cream or any sort of sweets at home, I would’ve eaten them for dinner. Seriously, so bad.

Cranberry Pear (steeped as you would for a latte) + brown sugar + Bailey’s + almond milk, over ice.

Sweet merciful heavens, I die.

Kristal

So that’s why my tea cocktails always turned out poorly- I never steeped it strong enough! Thanks for the tip!

apieceofquiche

Yeah, I’d definitely experiment. I made a big drink (a bit over 16 ounces), and it was essentially a latte with Bailey’s added so that’s why I steeped it the way I did. YMMV, especially if you’re using a really strong tea to begin with (like a chai). But this is mostly fruit with a a fairly weak black tea base, so I figured stronger would be better. :)

Evol Ving Ness

This cocktail sounds very delicious. Hope your week gets better, starting immediately.

apieceofquiche

Thanks Evol Ving Ness. :)

This tea is refreshing iced in the summertime and it’s not too shabby hot as well.

Flavors: Cranberry, Pear

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

2012 tasting notes

Another one from Julie Jones, thank you! I’m starting to notice that any Davidstea that has black tea pretty much uses the same black tea. haha. And it’s not a black tea I love — it seems like a Ceylon which is my least favorite. But Davidstea usually has decent flavors that the mild black tea can showcase more. This one is certainly fruity, but I wouldn’t say it is distinctly pear, cranberry and apple. Maybe mildly pear. There are plenty of fruit pieces in the blend. It’s okay but nothing that will wow.
Sipdowns: 1/13 Tealux – Desert Vanilla Oasis None 1/14

Holiday TTB

This one was nice, but it didn’t knock my socks off. Could be the age of the sample, but I’m really not picking up any pear flavor…just a nice, smooth black base with a bit of sweet/tart cranberry layered on top. Nice, but forgettable.

Flavors: Cranberry, Sweet, Tart