Cranberry Pear

Apple, Creamy, Fruity, Pear, Cranberry, Vanilla, Apricot
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From DAVIDsTEA

Berry good

A few months ago, David tried a fruity dessert tea that knocked his socks off. It was subtle and refined, delicately floral and slightly sweet. He was intrigued. He had to have it. But what was the secret ingredient? Cranberries. Normally associated with a neon red holiday sauce, these beautiful berries really sing when paired with rich, floral black tea. Here we blend them with big pieces of pear and apple for the fruit and black tea blend you won’t believe you ever went without.

Ingredients: Cranberry, black tea, pear, apple, artificial flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

As I start writing reviews, I find that I am woefully ignorant on discerning complex flavours and using proper terminology. I say this because the first thing I exclaimed (to myself) and promptly messaged ( to a friend) after drinking this tea was:

IT SMELLS LIKE HAPPY!

There you have it.
Fruity, lighter tasting with a candy/bubblegum scent, this is one of my favourite offerings from David’s Tea and always makes a great cup of pick-me-up.

I bought 100g of Cranberry Pear today, strictly based on the smell and the size of the cranberries. When I got home I made a cup of it and the taste blew my mind! It’s lightly sweet and super fresh. I will be sure to keep this one stocked up!

I’ve been meaning to review this tea for quite a while, along with the 30 other teas I have and haven’t reviewed yet. An argument could be made that I’m a bit of a procrastinator, but I’ll do that some other time (see I’ll even resort to really bad puns to put this review off). But I’m down to my last two teaspoons of this tea, and I prefer to review a tea while sipping it, so I’m kinda down to the wire.

My main problem with reviewing this tea is I didn’t really know what I thought of it. When I first smelled in the store I don’t know what type of mood I was in to decide to take it home with me, because it’s definitely not the type of sent/flavourful I generally go for. There’s an apple-y (from the pears), citrus-y (from the cranberries), vanilla scent to it. I can just assume the vanilla comes from the “natural flavourings” listed in the ingredients.
As an aside I just want to protest the constant use of “natural flavourings” by a lot of tea companies. While I understand they don’t legally have to list all the ingredients if they are under a certain percentage of the mix, for tea even a small amount of a spice makes a very big difference, tea companies should be aware of this, so their laziness is just inconsiderate.
When I first brewed this I didn’t like it very much, it has a distinct ‘Christmas-y’ taste to it that I usually associate with spices (that I really don’t like) like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves – those spices aren’t in here, but they’re equally associated with Christmas as whatever “natural flavours” are in this. The most prominent flavours are the pears (which do come across as apples), followed by vanilla, with bit of tang from the cranberries.
As much as I didn’t like this tea to begin with, it has grown on me. It’s a pretty light black tea, and actually pretty (wow do I ever need my thesaurus) smooth. It also has one of my favorite features in a tea, it allows me to be lazy (yep I am a hypocrite, I want to be lazy, but hate it when the tea stores are). I can just put a teaspoon of the leaves into my 16oz travel tea thermos and let them sit as long as it takes for me to drink it.
I probably won’t re-buy this one again instantly – my tea chest is getting a bit full, and I’m enjoying discovering new flavours. But I can totally see myself buying it again in the future. If I do buy it again I’ll be sure to ask the store associate to scoop around some of the fruit bits, I got a ton of cranberries this time which weight quite a bit, 60 grams of this looked more like 35 grams of Earl Grey.

I bought 50 g of this and the first time I had it, I wasn’t sure if I was going to buy more of it. Turns out, I actually really like this one. Perfect brewing time is 4 minutes if you don’t want it to taste too strong. Will be buying more of this one.

I thought I wouldn’t like this tea because it has apple in it. But I am delightfully surprised and happy I tried this tea! Cranberry Pear is delicious, has just the right amount of sweetness and brings me to a happier mood. I’m a sweet tooth person so this tea will come in handy for all the seasons, I drink it without adding cream/sugar, it doesn’t need it. I’m going back to Davids Tea to buy more today :)

This was my pick today at David’s Teas, Cranberry Pear. To be honest I probably wouldn’t have been able to pick this tea’s name out of a list from its taste alone. It is sweet and fruity in a tangy, natural way, the particular sweetness of the apple pieces being the most forward. The pear is there, but mingles so well with the apple is get a little muddled. Although I think the pear is to thank for the gentle, almost-cream finish to this flavor. I was surprised to learn this was a black tea blend, because the color is yellow and the flavor very sweet and juicy. It is marked as low caffeine so the black tea but be at a low percentage. The cranberries are a bit of a mystery. I imagine cranberries as the super tart part of my thanksgiving or the punch in the mouth of cranberry juice. In this blend, I wouldn’t have even noticed there were cranberries, however knowing they are there, I imagine that the tart depth to the fruit come from the cranberries. If that’s the case, I’m glad they are in the mix. David’s Teas tend to be a bit sweet for my tastes, and this tastes more like fruit and less like candy. Having a touch of black tea in the mix adds other notes to the fruity herbals and makes for a better balance.

Flavors: Apple, Creamy, Fruity, Pear

Got this in the order I just received from Davids. Biggest tea order for me ever. This tea smells tart in the bag with vanilla notes. Brewed, you definitely can taste the cranberry. Its mellow but with a tiny tartness. I keep searching for the pear in this tea. I think its hiding. FOUND IT! (Yes, I know I shouted). As the sip finished, there is a gentle fruity-ness. Like pear-sauce. I’m going to shut up now.

Flavors: Cranberry, Pear, Vanilla

I figured I should get into the samples I got from DavidsTea a few months ago, especially since I’m working on trying to get my cupboard under control.
Smells like fruity cranberry pear in the bag. Measuring it out wasn’t that bad either considering the big chunks of fruit mixed in.
Brewed I get a nice sweet cranberry sort of smell with something vaguely pear-like lurking about in the background.
Tastewise it’s, well, cranberry pear. More cranberry than pear and not curl your toes sort of tart. Unfortunately I’m apparently mildly allergic to (probly) the pear in this tea since I’m having a mild reaction to it. /sigh/ Well, I thought that might happen, but I figured it was worth taking the risk. Bummer since with a bit of sweetener, this might really be good, especially iced I have a feeling.

Blerrrgh! This is sooo tart. Leaves a bitter taste on the roof of my mouth.

Smells divine, but isn’t nearly as sweet as the scent implies. It’s one that I feel actually could have benefitted from some sweetener!

I have enough left for one more cup, but I may just add it to the swap pile instead.

And I actually really enjoy cranberry juice, much more than this!

This is one of the teas I got in the Sweet Indulgence sampler pack almost a year ago. The little tin has been bouncing around my tea cupboard for months, waiting to be polished off and I finally took pity on it last night.

I loved this the first time I had it. I had very little experience with black teas that weren’t bitter or astringent, so I found this one deliciously sweet. It’s still sweet, and tastes candied. I’m not sure I would describe it as “cranberry pear” but it’s definitely candied fruit of some kind.

Doubtful I’ll restock this one, but another cup wouldn’t be bad. Also: yay for clearing a tea out of the cupboard; more room for new ones now!

Flavors: Apricot