Alpine Punch

Fruit Rooibos Blend
Nuts, Cinnamon, Coconut, Peppercorn
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “Sipdown! (158) I'm especially happy to finish this one as I bought it last February and it's time to clear it out. Sure, I didn't open the bag up until a month or so again so it was fresh but...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1641 tasting notes
  • “Yum. This one's getting bedside-table-chilling treatment, as I'm tired and it's time to sleep. Although I still enjoy this one, it's one of the mistakes I made where I purchased 100g because oh my...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes
  • “Ok, so when i read VariaTea's back log about mint to be, I was like hell no am I missing out on this shiz. So after a delightful supper of a grilled cheese sandwich and alphageti (mmm so...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 450 tasting notes
  • “My tea stash has been shrinking and although I have a couple of tea orders on the way, my selection has been looking a little sad lately. Every day I think, “o.k. this is the day that the mailman...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 350 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

High altitude taste

Have you heard of the barbegazi? According to Swiss lore, they are a group of furry little men that live high in the Alps. They are known for their long, icy beards and enormous feet, which they use to ski down hills and surf on avalanches. But how do they stay warm up in the frozen mountains all year round? We like to think it’s with a fortifying brew like this almond-scented rooibos, with apple, cinnamon, and ginger. If you see some very big footprints next time you’re out hiking, follow them to the barbegazi’s cave and see if they offer you a cup. Limited edition.

Ingredients: Rooibos, coconut chips and rasps, apple pieces, cinnamon pieces, ginger bits, cardamom, black pepper, rose blossoms, almond flakes, artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Tree nuts and coconut

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Day 2 of the 24 Days of Tea
So I wasn’t as excited today, but I did go to bed last night pondering what was going to be waiting for me on Day 2.

I had this tea last year. We bought the krackers from DT and this was one of the samples. I remember liking it more last year.

At first sniff: I smell almond extract. Very sweet and very amaretto like. I smell a fruity almond blend. The blend is very pretty too and looks like a very fancy trail mix. You can’t really see the rooibus as much.

At first steep: So I’m being a bit of a scrouge with my teas. I am sure I probably under leafed this a bit, but that is partially because I want more opportunities to try it. I did steep it for a bit longer to make up for it. The almond pulls through, I don’t get many hints of the coconut and to my dismay the rooibus is a bit lost in the mix. There’s a bit of an oil slick on the top of the tea and less of a fruity feel to it. I haven’t decided if I like it yet. Might have to try it again and brew it with more tea. I remember really liking it last year and enjoying such an interesting rooibus blend, but this year it’s not winning me over. It is all over the place and the smell of the dry tea leaves a lot to be said for the cup, which then disappoints. Maybe I need to embody Tiny Tim and use the whole tin full next time.

To be continued…

Oh man, I would really like this one if it didn’t taste artificial somehow! It’s not terrible, and I like iron theory but there’s just something weird about it…thanks for the swap anyways Jessiwrites :)

jessiwrites

This one was not my favorite, either. But… rooibos, bleh!

Stephanie

OH right, rooibos! No wonder it was ick :)

jessiwrites

It’s definitely one of the better rooibos teas from David’s, but I still just taste medicine.

This smells great… like spicy coconut marzipan. The flavour is like almond with spices. There’s hints of coconut and apple, but mostly almond.

Wish I’d had this when it was still winter, this would good on a cold evening.

I don’t know why I thought this was going to be a kind of fruity sour tea, probably because it steeps up red, but it is far from that! It is such a lovely almond flavor, almost like almond biscotti or a croissant! I used 3 tsp in my 16oz steeping mug and added sweetener. My husband brought back about 25 grams of this from his trip to Montreal and I know it’s technically limited with the holidays, but I could see this being had all year long. Yum!

This tea is fantastic. I got it as a sample in my last order. It’s like a sweet chai kind of flavor to me. It reminds me of eating lunch in a lodge after snowboarding.

Damn this is a tasty tea! More so with just a splash of soy milk.

195 °F / 90 °C 8 min or more

Alpine punch. I have had a love/hate relationship with this one for a few months, mainly because my friend LOVES it and I had such high expectations when she offered me some. I had two cups of it at her place before Davids announced it was part of the winter collection, and when it came out at the beginning of November it was the only one I didn’t buy to have at home.

Fast forward to now, I decided to give it another chance. This was inevitable because I got the tea for the holidays pack from Davids for myself, and it is one of the few caffeine free options in there. And I had a really nice cup of it last night, and I see why others would like it. It is a very comforting winter blend that faintly tastes like marzipan.

Yum.
I switched to this from a long bout of oolong fever, and I have to say – this is delicious! It is something my taste buds obviously needed.
Dry: Green cardamom pods, lots of toasty(?) looking coconut slices, and other delicious things I can’t remember right now (but those two were the major heart stealers). Smells like sweet fruit punch.
Liquor: Very beautiful amberish color. All I am smelling is fruit punch. Pure and simple. It’s delicious don’t get me wrong. Just surprising. I wish I tasted more amaretto. Pretending I am drinking would be so much more pleasing to me at this moment, instead of feeling like I’m drinking fruit punch.

Either way. Highly flavourful. I recommend. Maybe it will taste like amaretto for you.. not fruit punch, though a pleasing fruit punch…

Kittenna

I think you and I have similar tastes! I love this one too :)

I got a sample of this with my order today!
I think my sense of taste is a little off from being sick and I’m not a huge fan of David’s teas, so I may be a little rough on this poor tea! It smells pretty good dry. I’m picking out almond and rooibos. My first few sips tasted like nothing, but it seems to be picking up some flavor as it cools. I’m getting almond on the aftertaste. I think I can taste some of the coconut and I’m getting the feeling that it may be a tea that I’d like to explore in the future when I can taste things more clearly. In the mean time it is helping keep me warm on a cold day!

My mom has some of this, so I thought I would give it a try as she and my sister rave about it. (I can’t remember if I tried it last year or not.) I made it and then put it in my thermos to have later at work. Maybe it was the fact that it wasn’t fresh (the tea didn’t sit in it, but it was ~3 hours old) or maybe it is my thermos, but it kind of tasted like cherry cough syrup. Anyone else had this experience?

MissB

I grabbed a small amount of this the other night, just to try it. Just opening the bag made me say, “Nuh uh.” I sealed it shut and put it in my swap box for someone that I know loves it.

petitecanuck

I don’t mind the first 2 or 3 sips when it’s freshly made, but after that? No dice. I’m with you!