Chocolate Orange

Chocolate, Milk, Orange Peel, Pu Erh Tea
Leather, Tar, Chocolate, Orange Zest, Earth, Dark Bittersweet, Peat Moss
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by lindsayb612

• “My go-to cup when I'm in the mall and wanting a nice pick-me-up. Sadly, I just noticed there's actual dairy/chocolate bits in there (a downfall when asking someone else to make tea for you, is that...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1108 tasting notes
  • “Oh I am soooo glad to have more of this! I put it on hold for the summer as I feel it is more of a fall and winter tea with how rich and warm and comforting it is. I got a small amount from my...” Read full tasting note
    heathermartin 589 tasting notes
  • “Wait what, I only had a serving left? That sucks. /sipdown I've been freezing all day, which is pretty sad for a Canadian getting cold in Long Beach, CA. It's not cold here, but I'm cold! So, I...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1012 tasting notes
  • “It seems that cold brewing this one kept the chocolate from dissolving as much and enhanced the other flavors while making the chocolate more of an accent to the other flavors. Interesting.” Read full tasting note
    Molybdenum 252 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

So happy together

Some things are just meant to go together. Cups and saucers. Cream and sugar. Tea and cookies. And chocolate and orange. It’s a harmonious combo alright – rich, sweet and decadently dark. And this delicious pu’erh blend has it all: big chocolate chips to satisfy your dessert craving and zesty orange peel for a touch of fruitiness and spice. It’s the kind of thing you could get used to. Which is good, because you and this tea are totally made for each other. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Pu’erh tea, chocolate, orange peel, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Wow. This tea has impressive scent! In the bag it smells like Terry’s Chocolate Orange and when steeped, it smells like I am in a chocolate factory (I’ve been to one, so I know what it smells like!). This is a nice full bodied tea, the taste is ok, faint taste of oranges. I was a little disappointed with this part because I was expecting a bit of orange taste. Definitely not a huge loss because I love the smell of this tea :)

It was my afternoon treat! Great taste… so creamy!!
More to buy!:)

OMG, Chocolate Cake replacement have I found you? The orange is strong in smell, & in the first cup I had of this it was oddly present, but that chocolate taste I love & miss so much from the discontinued Chocolate Cake is present here! First cup started out orangey, then had the pu’erh taste, then chocolate notes, then orange again at the end. Today it was pretty much all chocolate pu’erh with maybe a hint of orange. No sugar, but did add about 2 teaspoons of french vanilla half & half.

I knew going in that I wouldn’t like this tea. Not because of the pu’erh base, though I admit that if I’m going to go with pu’erh, I really should look for it from a trusted vendor like Yunnan Sourcing or Verdant.

No, I knew I wouldn’t like it because I really dislike the flavour combination of chocolate and orange. There’s just something about it that doesn’t work for me.

Anyways, yeah. This brews up dark and strong, and it definitely smells of both chocolate and orange. However, the orange isn’t showing up in the taste. Instead, it’s just like black, bagged, nondescript tea. I’m not even getting any of the tobacco or leather notes that pu’erh would imply.

Ah well. Just gotta hold my nose and finish this up.

And this concludes my attempts at friendship with David’s teas. :( I don’t smell or taste any orange in this tea. The chocolate is really really hard to pick out. Kind of has the aftertaste of a scratch n sniff sticker. The tea base doesn’t even work for me. It is flat and earthy and leaves my mouth dry. Done.

Sipdown!

I’ve been curious about pu-erhs lately, and this is the only one I’ve ever tried. Actually that’s not true, there was a Creme de Menthe one I used to enjoy also. Anyway, this one. It used to be a favorite of mine and I restocked it several times. I didn’t noticed the dirt or slight fishiness of it until I first joined Steepster and read reviews. Then when I smelled my tin of this I had myself convinced it was fishy fish fisherson all over the place.

I had enough left for one more cup, and decided to make it today.

I like the smell of it dry, not noticing the fishiness this time. Definitely a dirty smell though.
When brewed, it’s very dark, which I like in a tea for sure. And still smells like dirt.

But tastes like chocolate orange, with very earthy undertones. Not unpleasant! Actually the more I sip, the more I enjoy. The flavours go very well together, with this base.

I’d consider buying this again someday. In the meantime I will be trying some plain, quality Mandala pu-erh soon courtesy of MzPriss, which I am excited for, if not slightly trepidatious!

My next pu-erh related goal is to somehow get my hands on some of Lupicia’s Strawberry Chocolate pu-erh, which I hear is amazing, and there’s a Scottish Caramel pu-erh floating around by different brands (Tea Desire is supposed to be great), which I’d love to try before I buy.

I figure all of those things will allow me to determine how I feel about pu’erh right now!

If you’re looking for an easy in, this Chocolate Orange one works just fine as an intro, for me anyway!

Wow, my last note reviewed this as 19! It’s definitely not that, must have been at the height of my fishy dirt paranoia.

I have to bump it up. I don’t love it anymore but it’s much better than 19!

Dustin

Does Lupicia not ship to Canada?! :( Teavana has a strawberry pu erh that is kinda tasty, but yeah, the Lupicia one is delicious!

whatshesaid

From what I heard they don’t ship to Canada! Or else it’s one of those highway robbery situations

lolainred

I really need to try pu-erh. I have yet to do so, and I have been VERY curious about the Lupicia’s Strawberry Chocolate pu-erh… it sounds amazing.

boychik

Always rinse,even flavored one. then its not that earthy.

Dexter

Their shipping isn’t cheap but it’s also not as bad as some of the insane expensive companies like Adagio and Golden Moon – there is more info in the link I posted if anyone is interested. :))

Good to know!

MzPriss

I don’t know how long it takes to get to Canada from Texas, but maybe soon? I sent it last Saturday. I hope you enjoy it!

whatshesaid

Probably next week :) can’t wait!!

mrmopar

Aint it funny how this puerh stuff can grow on you…..

Yes, it is!

Tried this in the DavidsTea 2013 Advent Calendar. A disappointment. Gives off a pungent, rot-like smoky smell both dry and steeping to precede an equally foul-tasting product. Does not marry the flavours of the popular holiday dessert with nearly as much harmony as the real thing. Might be a creative gift for an acquaintance over the holidays who you know loves chocolate oranges, but has received more than their share in stocking stuffers in their lifetime. Spice it up and gift this tea, but do not drink it.

Flavors: Leather, Tar

I got this tea from the traveling tea box. I was a bit disappointed because it really didn’t have a chocolate WOW or even a orange ZING. It lacked.

I was so excited to try this one — chocolate and oranges, how could I go wrong!

Sadly, I got neither chocolate nor oranges from this tea. It was flat and bland. I hope my friend likes it more than I did!

This is a nice dessert tea with a nice chocolate flavor and a hint of orange. I had it this morning and justified having a desert tea for breakfast because it has orange in it :-)