Chocolate Orange

Fruit Pu-erh Blend
Chocolate, Milk, Orange Peel, Pu Erh Tea
Chocolate, Malt, Orange, Smooth, Sweet, Vanilla, Leather, Tar, Orange Zest, Earth, Dark Bittersweet, Peat Moss
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by lindsayb612

• “My go-to cup when I'm in the mall and wanting a nice pick-me-up. Sadly, I just noticed there's actual dairy/chocolate bits in there (a downfall when asking someone else to make tea for you, is that...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1117 tasting notes
  • “Oh I am soooo glad to have more of this! I put it on hold for the summer as I feel it is more of a fall and winter tea with how rich and warm and comforting it is. I got a small amount from my...” Read full tasting note
    heathermartin 607 tasting notes
  • “Wait what, I only had a serving left? That sucks. /sipdown I've been freezing all day, which is pretty sad for a Canadian getting cold in Long Beach, CA. It's not cold here, but I'm cold! So, I...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1047 tasting notes
  • “It seems that cold brewing this one kept the chocolate from dissolving as much and enhanced the other flavors while making the chocolate more of an accent to the other flavors. Interesting.” Read full tasting note
    Molybdenum 252 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

So happy together

Some things are just meant to go together. Cups and saucers. Cream and sugar. Tea and cookies. And chocolate and orange. It’s a harmonious combo alright – rich, sweet and decadently dark. And this delicious pu’erh blend has it all: big chocolate chips to satisfy your dessert craving and zesty orange peel for a touch of fruitiness and spice. It’s the kind of thing you could get used to. Which is good, because you and this tea are totally made for each other. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Pu’erh tea, chocolate, orange peel, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Tried this in the DavidsTea 2013 Advent Calendar. A disappointment. Gives off a pungent, rot-like smoky smell both dry and steeping to precede an equally foul-tasting product. Does not marry the flavours of the popular holiday dessert with nearly as much harmony as the real thing. Might be a creative gift for an acquaintance over the holidays who you know loves chocolate oranges, but has received more than their share in stocking stuffers in their lifetime. Spice it up and gift this tea, but do not drink it.

Flavors: Leather, Tar

I got this tea from the traveling tea box. I was a bit disappointed because it really didn’t have a chocolate WOW or even a orange ZING. It lacked.

I was so excited to try this one — chocolate and oranges, how could I go wrong!

Sadly, I got neither chocolate nor oranges from this tea. It was flat and bland. I hope my friend likes it more than I did!

This is a nice dessert tea with a nice chocolate flavor and a hint of orange. I had it this morning and justified having a desert tea for breakfast because it has orange in it :-)

Got this sample from MissB and I see it’s a substantial sample. Was wondering if she didn’t like the tea? Seems so from the review but it was the dairy thing. I too like to avoid dairy but a few chocolate chips in an occasional tea isn’t too bad. It does have the oil from the chocolate floating on top like I’ve seen chocolate teas but I think it tastes devine! Pu-erh earthiness, a bit of orange, and then the chocolate last. It’s funny how all these orange teas have been finding their way into my cabinet lately. I couldn’t seem to find one with the right amount of orange in the mix. This one is perfect. It would even be great without the chocolate.

Flavors: Chocolate, Earth, Orange Zest

Fuzzy_Peachkin gave me a sample of this a while back, and while I’ve drunk it a few times it looks like I haven’t written a review yet. This is an okay blend, although I’ll admit it’s not really my kind of thing—I’m not crazy about teas with lots of stuff added in (Iike the chocolate pieces here, or candy sprinkles elsewhere), and the chocolate + orange flavor combination has never been a particular favorite of mine.

Anyway—the pu’erh’s lightly earthy, and it works surprisingly nicely as a background. I’m getting much more chocolate than orange, and while the chocolate flavor is done reasonably well (by comparison with other chocolate teas I’ve tasted) I’m increasingly of the mindset that, for me anyway, it’s just not a great flavor to try to recreate in tea form. I imagine this sample is pretty old—I’ve had it for quite a few months now myself—so that may explain the relative absence of orange flavor. Another thing about this tea is that it’s got that trademark oil slick, which I suppose is a necessary consequence of including actual chocolate bits in a tea. Still, I find it slightly off-putting.

I can see how this might be a good, gentle introduction to pu’erh for a fan of dessert teas. I am less into dessert teas and more into (some, selected) straight pu’erhs, but still, I’m glad to have been able to try this!

Tried some more of this today to see if putting it on my swap list was actually the right decision—yep, it’s just not quite my cup of tea (SWIDT). Gonna try one more re-steep with a scoop of T2 Cinnamon Somersault but I won’t mind swapping away the rest of it.

I. LOVE. THIS. It’s so good and such a treat the combination of flavours is awesome and I would definitely buy this one again. (Even better with a Lindt chocolate to go with it :) )

Smells so good and tastes so good! I’ve only tried a few davids teas, but this might be my favorite so far. It reminds me of these chocolate oranges my mom used to buy us at Christmas. Drank with milk and sugar. Doesn’t even taste bad without the milk (and I like milk). No bitterness. A nice and dark color brew.

I’m not a huge pu’erh drinker, but I have to say that I was expecting more chocolate flavor from this blend based on the smell. It’s quite chocolatey when you first open it up, but very little of that chocolate flavor transferred over to the brew, which had a much more prominent orange flavor.

It definitely had that pu’erh earthiness to it (mmm, orange flavored dirt!). Since this has actual chocolate pieces in it, it does make for an oily tea that leaves a residue behind.