Chocolate Orange

Fruit Pu-erh Blend
Chocolate, Milk, Orange Peel, Pu Erh Tea
Chocolate, Orange, Sweet, Malt, Smooth, Vanilla, Leather, Tar, Orange Zest, Earth, Dark Bittersweet, Peat Moss
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by lindsayb

• “My go-to cup when I'm in the mall and wanting a nice pick-me-up. Sadly, I just noticed there's actual dairy/chocolate bits in there (a downfall when asking someone else to make tea for you, is that...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1146 tasting notes
  • “Oh I am soooo glad to have more of this! I put it on hold for the summer as I feel it is more of a fall and winter tea with how rich and warm and comforting it is. I got a small amount from my...” Read full tasting note
    heathermartin 620 tasting notes
  • “Wait what, I only had a serving left? That sucks. /sipdown I've been freezing all day, which is pretty sad for a Canadian getting cold in Long Beach, CA. It's not cold here, but I'm cold! So, I...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1066 tasting notes
  • “It seems that cold brewing this one kept the chocolate from dissolving as much and enhanced the other flavors while making the chocolate more of an accent to the other flavors. Interesting.” Read full tasting note
    Molybdenum 252 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

So happy together

Some things are just meant to go together. Cups and saucers. Cream and sugar. Tea and cookies. And chocolate and orange. It’s a harmonious combo alright – rich, sweet and decadently dark. And this delicious pu’erh blend has it all: big chocolate chips to satisfy your dessert craving and zesty orange peel for a touch of fruitiness and spice. It’s the kind of thing you could get used to. Which is good, because you and this tea are totally made for each other. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Pu’erh tea, chocolate, orange peel, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

So when I first went to DavidsTea, after the girl brought down a bazillion tins (not really but it felt like it), I got a few teas to bring home. So did my Mom. When I was checking out, I think I mentioned to my Mom that if I was ordering these online I’d be getting some free samples, but this was so much nicer to be able to get smaller amounts. The lady then tossed a bag of this in with my stuff for free just because, which was awesome. It had been one of the ones I was considering getting, but decided on some fruity oolongs instead. Lol.

That was months ago and I finally decided to try this one today. Mostly I was putting it off because I had an awful experience with the last chocolate orange tea I tried (burnt orange, yuck). But I was going through my swap bin and realized I hadn’t yet tried it. So I figured what the heck.

This would also be the first puerh that I’ve ever tried, though I’m pretty sure I shouldn’t use it as a comparison for what a puerh should be. At least I hope not.
Anyway. The tea in the bag was powdery with little chocolate curls and orange pieces. I think it was so powdery because of the chocolate, or something. I can’t imagine it was the tea causing it. I measured out a tsp and a half-ish into my steeper, poured boiling water over it and waited the minimum 4 min.

The wet leaves had that orange-y smell that I was expecting, but it didn’t assault my nose or smell burnt like the other orange chocolate tea I’ve had.
The brew wasn’t bad. The orange wasn’t overpowering, but it was definitely there. It had almost a spiciness to it that I wasn’t expecting, but it wasn’t strong. Just kinda a faint note at the back of the sip. I didn’t really get a strong distinction of chocolate from this, which I’d expect something given how much was in the mix. But I think it added maybe a richness to the cup and helped to tone down the orange. I’m not sure what a puerh is supposed to taste like so I couldn’t exactly pick it out of this, but it certainly didn’t adversely affect the brew.

I went for a second steep since, from what I’ve read here, puerh can take multiple steeps, usually this is encouraged, so I figured what the heck.
I should’ve stopped at the one steep, and certainly not tried to drink the second one. The wet leaves had a fishy smell to them, which I’ve heard sometimes a puerh will have. It also had a minty smell to it. Actually, it reminded me alot of the chiclet gum my Mom chews for her heartburn. (Just to note, I don’t think her gum smells fishy, just that these leaves reminded me of that. Lol) I scraped the leaves out of my steeper immediately before adding baking soda and hot water to it, since the steeper stank of this. Hopefully it’ll go away. Lol.
The brew had the same fishy smell to it, and the taste. UGH! Like fish. And mint. And orange. BLECH!
Maybe the third steep would’ve been better, but I didn’t even want to try it since what’s the point if you can’t get through the second steep?

Overall, for me this is a one steep only. But I’m not really planning on keeping this around. Maybe I’m doing something wrong because it seems like other reviewers for this have gotten multiple steeps out of it. But it’s just not for me I guess.
I won’t let this spoil my interest in trying puerh teas though. I’ll still, eventually, be giving that section of teas a try one of these days.

I wasn’t sure what to do with this tea at first. I got it in a massive order and it smelled wonderful but I was so apprehensive about it. But I was going to town and wanted a drink while I did so I brewed this up.

At first it tasted like… fish. Then I let it sit a while and when I tasted it again, it went down smooth and the aftertaste was like a Terry’s Chocolate Orange! It delighted me to no end! I am so happy I bought the tin of this!

Lala

I was a little concerned becuase I saw the word fish, and immediately started thinking the rest of this post can’t be good. I do like chocolate and oranges, however not mixed together, but I am happy the tea turned out, and was not just fish water.

Vanilla Beans

So am I! I suspect it was the tumbler I was using… It had been washed the night before and could have had some residue of the water in it.

Took this in to the girls at work this week since I had no luck myself. From reading reviews on the boards it seems pu-erh often has a fishy scent, and that’s why it smelled/tasted so off. I think I might make a new cup and do the rinsing method suggested to see if that helps! :D

Shmiracles

oh goodness i WISH you loved this tea as much as i do. i brought it to work today, and yesterday, and the day before that, and i’m gonna have some soon!
the word ‘fishy’ never even crosses my mind a little! but i do have a poor sense of smell i’ll admit.
and if you rinse it all the chocolate will go away!! oh noooooooooooo

Valerie

I think it’s the earthy pu-erh scent that my nose translates to fishy? Because crazy4u mentioned it in her review of a different pu-erh and so that’s why we were talking about it.

I love it! And I’m not ashamed to say it!

This was the first pu-erh I was brave enough to try, and it’s opened me up to a whole world of curiosity!

The first whiff of the dry leaves, while yummy, doesn’t necessarily have that musty earthiness. It’s all chocolate and orange and yum. But on deeper sniff, there’s something darker there. Something nifty.

It brews into a very dark tea, with a seriously rich scent. The first sips are again mostly orangey with a chocolate background. Like a delicious Terry’s orange. But as I let it cool, I start to notice what must surely be the pu-erh. Earthy is the right word. And it’s so perfect with the added flavours – each element plays in the cup by itself, but also blend together like… I don’t know. Words aren’t the point.

The point is, I like it. I love it! I will drink it all year round – Christmas tea or not!
And pu-erh – here I come!

Yep, I can definitely taste and SMELL the pu’erh today. Not sure that I like it as much as the first cup.

Faith

The happened to me too! I want the magic back…

Lindsay

I couldn’t finish the cup this time! The pu’erh was almost overpowering. I’m kind of sad :(

1.5 tsp for 250mL water @98C. Steeped 4 minutes. Drunk bare.

Pu-erh and I have never gotten along. Pu-erh often left me with an upset stomach. Guess what? I was doing it wrong, steeping wayyy too much.

I got Chocolate Orange in a gift pack. The scent is lovely: sharp orange, dark chocolate. Liquor is almsot coffee-dark. The pu-erh itself is quite mild (I’d tasted from horrible fishy ones). A harmonious blend, with no one dominant note. A pleasant surprise.

Bonnie

Too true, you have to be careful.

Picked up a 26g sampler of this today.

This smells EXACTLY like a Terry’s Chocolate Orange.

When measuring it out the chocolate curls are obvious,charming and completely enticing.
The Lemon rinds to my utter joy are also prolific and zesty.

Once steeped it’s a rich darker caramel color and smells about the same if a bit subdued.

Tastes earthy and rich but it’s not overpowering but it is the first impression I get.

The smoky texture immediately changes into the aftertaste of a Chocolate Orange on my tongue.

Overall it’s a pleasant tea but it is the taste shadow of the chocolate orange and not the full flavor I tend to hope for in my gimmick teas.

However there are so many glowing reviews on here so I will try it again and fuss with my preparation.
Hints are VERY much welcomed!

Lynne-tea

Personally I give that tea tons of room to fully infuse. Maybe try something like that.. Or a light rinse if you find the pu-erh too smoky?

katgolik

I will try that!!

Day 25 of my 101 days of DAVIDsTEA challenge. Had to do this one today because it met the requirements of being a) not in the calendar, and b) being a Christmas-themed tea.

IT SMELLS SO MUCH LIKE A CHOCOLATE ORANGE, IT’S REDICULOUS. And delicious. And wonderful.

Around 2 [tablware] teaspoons in my 2-cupper teapot. I honestly wish it tasted more like it smells — I remember brewing it before and enjoying the taste better. Still pleasant, but not quite as good as the last time. Thinking it might be better if brewed for an individual cup, but we’ll have to see about that another day.

It does get bitter if steeped too long, but not overly unpleasantly so — it brings out the taste of the orange. Still better fresh, unless you add milk to cut the bitterness (the good ol’fashioned British way).

Putting this down as 81 for now, may raise the rating later if I’m correct and it tastes a lot better brewed in-cup.

Very nice. I think the orange and chocolate both come through really nicely in this (and it smells incredible!). Very smooth, creamy, and rich. What I didn’t really taste was pu’erh! Not much characteristic pu’erh taste, though it tastes like a robust and smooth Chinese black. It made an excellent nighttime tea.

Amariel

I smelled this one yesterday evening, AFTER I’d had them make up a Chocolate Chili Chai to go. :( It smelled soooooo gooood! I have to be good and finish some of my teas before I go and get more, but this is one I plan to get and try.

Jessie

I admire your restraint. My tiny kitchen is out of control with tea. I must drink faster!

I feel like I’ve been in an endless reading/research/writing cycle over the past few weeks, and I was feeling something similar with my tea drinking (I’ve been avoiding making any new purchases until I clear out some of my stash). I remembered that I still had several samples Azzrian sent me, so I decided to break my usual tea cycle and try out a new flavour.

I’ve never had a flavoured pu-erh before, so I’m excited to try this.

The dry leaf smells quite citrusy, but I can’t really smell anything chocolatey. When steeped, the tea smells like an earthy citrus, with a hint of chocolate. It tastes like that, too. The pu-erh base isn’t very prominent, but it’s there to provide the earthy background, while the citrus flavour takes the spotlight and the chocolate comes out in the aftertaste. I’m not a huge fan of chocolate orange flavoured things, but this was surprisingly pleasant to drink.

All in all, an interesting and refreshing tea. Thanks for the sample, Azzrian!