Chocolate Orange

Fruit Pu-erh Blend
Chocolate, Milk, Orange Peel, Pu Erh Tea
Chocolate, Orange, Sweet, Malt, Smooth, Vanilla, Leather, Tar, Orange Zest, Earth, Dark Bittersweet, Peat Moss
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by lindsayb612

• “My go-to cup when I'm in the mall and wanting a nice pick-me-up. Sadly, I just noticed there's actual dairy/chocolate bits in there (a downfall when asking someone else to make tea for you, is that...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1144 tasting notes
  • “Oh I am soooo glad to have more of this! I put it on hold for the summer as I feel it is more of a fall and winter tea with how rich and warm and comforting it is. I got a small amount from my...” Read full tasting note
    heathermartin 611 tasting notes
  • “Wait what, I only had a serving left? That sucks. /sipdown I've been freezing all day, which is pretty sad for a Canadian getting cold in Long Beach, CA. It's not cold here, but I'm cold! So, I...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1055 tasting notes
  • “It seems that cold brewing this one kept the chocolate from dissolving as much and enhanced the other flavors while making the chocolate more of an accent to the other flavors. Interesting.” Read full tasting note
    Molybdenum 252 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

So happy together

Some things are just meant to go together. Cups and saucers. Cream and sugar. Tea and cookies. And chocolate and orange. It’s a harmonious combo alright – rich, sweet and decadently dark. And this delicious pu’erh blend has it all: big chocolate chips to satisfy your dessert craving and zesty orange peel for a touch of fruitiness and spice. It’s the kind of thing you could get used to. Which is good, because you and this tea are totally made for each other. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Pu’erh tea, chocolate, orange peel, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Who am I kidding….I was hooked on this tea just reading its description online. Chocolate. Yum. I am a self-professed chocolate addict, the darker the better; and delicately laced with any sort of fruit, nut and/or sea salt, even better.

So I headed to DT today and asked to smell this canister of lusciousness – a deep, wonderful, earthy aroma hit my senses, just as I had imagined it to be. Visually, I was excited to see healthy swirls of dark chocolate curls and bits of dried orange. I think my heart skipped a beat. It had me at chocolate.

I had the staff brew me a cup in my tumbler. The tea-barista asked if I wanted it straight or in a tea-bag – I chose tea-bag, despite the thought that those sumptuous chocolate bits dissolving into the hot brew would have been divine. I just didn’t want to deal with the bits of pur’eh and undissolved orange in my mouth.

I let this tea brew longer than usual before sipping, and left the tea bag in my tumbler as I always do. Since it had those wonderful chocolate bits in it, I swirled my tumbler every once in a while to allow the dissolved chocolate to escape from the bag and into the deep, swampy chocolate brew that had filled my tumbler.

This tea was far from disappointing. Dry or brewed, this pur’eh is very similar in scent – there is no deception here, what you smell is what you get. And what you smell is absolute enrapture – more so if you LOVE chocolate.

It smells distinctly (but not overpoweringly so) like Terry’s Orange Chocolate. You know, the chocolate that is shaped like an orange wrapped in foil and you whack on a table so it splits into perfect oranges “slices”. Yeah, that one. (I really need to stop comparing teas to sugary confections, lest I end up with a reputation akin to Mrs. Willy Wonka.)

As a green and white tea drinker, and relatively new to pur’eh teas, I have to say that I really do enjoy the warm, earthy texture of this tea type. And that warm, earthy texture comes through nicely in this tea concoction. It complements the dark chocolate and orange well. There isn’t a competition of flavours; everyone mingles quite nicely in the tumbler; you can almost hear the harps strumming.

I drank most of this straight, no agave. On its own, it is quite satisfying (that subtle taste of Terry’s Orange Chocolate). Once you add a dollop of agave (you really don’t need a lot due to the chocolate), it just heightens all those wonderful flavours and it’s as if you are in fact eating a slice of Terry’s Orange Chocolate.

As I sipped on this delectable tea, the thought crossed my mind that this would probably be a great tea as a latte. That is a big statement for me, since I don’t like my teas with milk at all; as a non-black tea drinker, that seems quite foreign to me.

This is a great dessert tea – in lieu of actual dessert, or as a complement to a light orange or fruit based dessert. Or just when you are looking for a little piece of heaven on earth.

hayward68

I drink the Chocolate Orange as a latte and it’s divine, also, Terry’s Chocolate Orange is exactly what I think it smells like as well.

Nina

thanks @hayward68! I’ll have to try this in store as a latte then :o)

Okay so tonight I am pretty much indulging in tea (had four cups of Matcha Matsu) and am now trying my Chocolate Orange. I dont know why but when I saw this on the website I like screamed, usually I hate chocolate with fruit but maybe the fact that this is a pu’erh changed the story. So I went into my local DT today and asked if I could smell this one. I asked her for 50g but as she was filling the pouch and taking some out cuz I guess it was over 50g I said “WAIT! I’LL TAKE 100g!” …as if I have anymore room on my shelf dedicated for DAVIDsTEA lol.
Okay so if you think the dry tea leaves smell orgasmic wait till you smell it as it is steeping… I seriously think I am going to cry because it smells so beautiful (tea geek much…?). And the taste is definately as good as the smell! David, you’ve done it again

Bonnie

This is one of my all time favorite tea’s! My daughter loves this one too! I’m so glad they brought it back…I just bought a bunch that should be here tomorrow from Canada to Colorado…can’t wait…!!!!!

I almost wish my friend hadn’t introduced me to this tea because:

a) I’m addicted
b) IT’S ONLY A CHRISTMAS TEA!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally drank my 50g bag of it in a week (or maybe less, I can’t remember…) and when I went back to the store to buy a tin to stock up for the year they were all sold out, with no chance of new stock coming in because the tea was THAT good that all the stores had high demand. I emailed customer service, tweeted them, called the stores, etc, nothing. Believe me this Christmas I may or may not be the person rumours will be going around about that I bought the entire container from the store….!

Davids needs to find out how to rebrand this as a year-round tea. I neeeeeeeed more!

Oh Happy Day!!! DAVIDsTEA listens when you cry! They have rebranded it as a not-just-for-Christmas tea so now I can have my fix every day. Hooray for no more painful withdrawals and bipolarness because my cravings were left to their own devices until next Christmas. Just kidding. I picked up a fresh tin of it yesterday. Ohh, the chocolate shavings are huge. The smell is intoxicating. I think I’m gonna go make a latte…

Somm

>_> I do not know what you’re talking about.

sluggo

It’s coming back as a permanent tea for the end of February!! Yaaaay!

Rachelle

I know!!! I just found out on Twitter and I could not be more ecstatic! Totally gonna buy way too much of it.

As I’m smelling the dry leaves i feel like whacking the bag on the table! this smells exactly like a terry’s chocolate orange!

steeped it looks like liquid chocolate, smells orange and chocolate but i smell the earthyness of the pu’erh as well.

time to taste: mmmm chocolate oranges. Maybe i did something wrong cause the pu’erh really hits you at the end there mine is very strong. still i love this! great job david’s tea another hit!

DaisyChubb

How long did you steep it? I find if you steep it around 2-3 minutes it’s still a strong flavour but less “earthy” (until the second steep of course!)

Then again if you like that hit of puerh then you did nothing wrong at all! :D

Chocolate and orange have to be one of my absolute favorite combinations ever, way up there with mint and chocolate.

So the first time I smelled it, I fell in love. Like many have said, it smells just like Terry’s Chocolate Orange. And I love orange-flavoured chocolate.

So, this tea. It was my very first try at pu’erh and I was a bit worried as I’ve heard it sometimes tastes fishy. Once brewed, this tea does have a bit of a fishy smell, but I can’t taste it. All I tasted is orange and chocolate and I’m happy :)

Day 22 of the 24 Days of Tea

At first sniff: As I am sure every OTHER PERSON has said below: Terry’s Chocolate Orange in a tea. I don’t read reviews before I try it for myself, unless I’m doing a blind buy online. That’s pretty much all I smell is chocolate and orange. I smell a tinge of artificial at the end of the sniff, but so far this looks promising. I’m not going to lie, growing up TCO wasn’t my favourite. I always asked for one because I wanted to smash one, but then never really enjoyed the chocolate as much. I think I am the only person I know who is not a fan of fruit and tea, except maybe chocolate covered strawberries, and they have to be dunked in dark chocolate to put off the sweet from the fruit so that the fruit doesn’t taste so sour.

At first steep: Alright, this is probably the first time in a long time that I was anxious about brewing a tea. I’ve never had a pu’erh before. I have read about how some of it tastes: fishy, off-putting. I brewed this for 4:30 at 100. Davids says anywhere from 4-6 minutes. When I poured it into my cup it looks dark and strong. I figured cream and sugar would be a must if there was a hope in heck of me liking this tea. It then became a very red brown colour. When I smelled it, my nose was overwhelmed with chocolate. The orange zinged as the last note. I like this tea, but I am still in the realm of “No nothing about Pu-erh.” Any comments or tips about pu-erh tea would be helpful. I get a taste of pool chlorine at the VERY end of this. I think I’ll have save any more judgements for a second steep. I will note my blend didn’t have chocolate shavings in it, it had chocolate chips. I guess DT changed that to keep the blend together better? Not sure.

My first time trying a Pu’erh Tea. I don’t really know what I’m supposed to taste, but I do taste a light chocolate and a very little bit of citrus. It’s somewhat pleasant, but there is again a little chemical taste to it, which I can’t place. It tastes a little like a bad chocolate orange candy.

Yummmmmm!! I love this one. It’s also my first pu’erh. A very nice treat for me :)

What better way to end a work day than with a tea that tastes like chocolate orange? I’d gotten this one in store before I left since we still have some in my store here and mmmmm. Definitely delicious as always. I’m still surprised I like this one as much as I do since I’m not a fan of those Terry’s oranges OR of pu’erh. And yet I love this tea.

Started my day off with this tea. This is one of those blends I try to be a little more careful with. It needs to steep long enough to get a good flavour, but I try not to oversteep it, because I am not super crazy about the base tea. It is not a bad, tasting tea, but it is certainly a strong tasting base and one that I feel works best in moderation. With a quick steep and a pinch of sugar, the chocolate and the orange shine though and this is a nice, indulgent morning cup to wake up with.