Sleigh Ride

Fruit Herbal Blend
Apple, Artificial Flavouring, Beet Root Pieces, Candied Papaya, Candied Pinapple, Cinnamon Sticks, Coconut, Hibiscus Blossoms, Popped Rice, Raisins, Roasted Almonds
Fruity, Popcorn, Round , Spices, Sweet, Coconut
Edit tea info Last updated by Tuscanteal
Boiling 5 min, 45 sec 4 g 12 oz / 356 ml

2 Images

• “I couldn't stand the thought of having to drink another cup of this cinnamon hibiscus symphony to chaoskampf again. I guess I disliked it a lot more than previously thought. I only had a mug's...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 493 tasting notes
  • “Another sip down from the advent calendar! By aroma, this one smells exactly like Forever Nuts. I'm not actually certain if I'd be able to tell them apart. It's a warm, cinnamonny, nutty aroma....” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes
  • “Ah, newbies at DavidsTea, you're so cute. Yes, I am aware of the tea of the month, and I am aware of some old classics like Buttered Rum and Cream of Earl Grey. And yes, I've tried all of the...” Read full tasting note
    ladykittykat 1220 tasting notes
  • “Well I decided to make a cup of this tonight as I am trying to work through some teas to get sipdowns and reign in my cupboard. I read my last review and I really liked this. However, I also really...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1877 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Falling snow, popping chestnuts, cold hands and noses…yep, winter has arrived. But don’t worry, we have the perfect tea to warm you up all December long. Cinnamon, apples, raisins, almonds, and hibiscus combine for a tea that is sweet, tart, and earthy. And beet pieces make it as nice and rosy as a caroler’s cheeks. So hop in your sleigh, snuggle up, and pass a thermos around. It’s lovely weather for a Sleigh Ride together.

Ingredients: Apple, hibiscus blossoms, candied pineapple, candied papaya, beetroot, cinnamon, raisins, coconut, roasted almonds, popped rice, artificial flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Not going to rate this, because I think what happened was my fault…

The recommended steep time is 5-7 minutes… I may have let it steep for 10 when I meant to steep it for 3 or 4. It was disgusting. Bitter and hibbi all the way. Evil hibbi. I couldn’t finish the cup it was so gross.

So now I have a feeling… even if I steep it right I will taste how I made it the first time. I just can’t handle any hibiscus.

The dry smell was so tempting though… but I think I’ll stick with Forever Nuts.

Jenn

Hibbiness will ruin the best of teas :/

DaisyChubb

Truthiness!

AliPants

This tea is just swimming in hibiscus. I tried this both at home and in-store, and trying it in store was actually worse than over steeping it. It wasn’t sure what it wanted to taste like – too many sweet, fruity ingredients, and too much hibiscus. I didn’t finish my cup either. Hell, I didn’t even finish my little mini SAMPLE cup.

DaisyChubb

haha same Ali!
When smelling the dry stuff, I thought I would be resteeping it all day… le sigh

I am not sure why I am just reviewing this now, but anyway, here goes. I can’t really say anything about this tea that others have not said already. It is a cross between Kanpe and Forever Nuts. Nutty, with a little hint of fruity and tartness.
I find that it tastes a little artificial though.

Another sipdown (146)!

I actually only got this one today, in a package from VariaTEA! She had it in the “take it away” thread, and I took the plunge to try it out since it’s something I would never buy myself due to the raisins in it, and a one cup amount of it wasn’t making a “big commitment” to it if I turned out to hate in.

So, I made a timolino full of it using the whole sample: boiling water, steeped for 5 minutes. The liquor was a very bright, vibrant red! The smell went from a lightly fruity cinnamon kind of smell (similar to Forever Nuts) dry to a very fruity smell with just a touch if cinnamon.

Taste wise: Holy tartness! This is really sour, which is not what I was anticipating. Honestly, it was mouth ‘puckeringly’ sour. Once you get over the sourness of the liquor, there’s a cinnamon taste and a nuttiness reminiscent of Forever Nuts. But balls, so much tartness.

It’s not even the raisins in the blend that’s getting to me; just the hibiscus overload and all the the other tangy fruits. There’s no balance, at all. Glad I tried it, but probably not ever again…

Thanks anyway VariaTEA. You were super kind and included some other samples anyway, so one of those will probably be more to my taste.

VariaTEA

haha I obviously was not a huge fan so I didn’t expect you to really like it too much either (although I hoped for the best). At least you tried it and know for sure now that it is not for you. I hope the other teas are better.

Roswell Strange

I finished about half of it at work, but I’ll admit to dumping the rest when I got home… It was just a little too much; though it wasn’t the raisins that did it for me!

This is another tea my husband brought home for me. Wow, this is heavy and wow they recommend 2 tsp per cup (I used 3 heaping teaspoons in my 16oz steeping mug)?! I steeped for a full 7 minutes and I added sweetener.

This reminds me a lot of Tiesta Teas Nutty Almond Cream, except this isn’t as almond and creamy and it has a hint of tartness from the hibiscus. It actually smells nearly identical too which is interesting. I prefer the Tiesta Teas for taste and price too (Sleigh Ride is $7.50 for 1.76oz and Nutty Almond Cream is $10.99 for 4oz – though thanks to BF I paid $5.50).

I’ll certainly use up the 26gram bag but unless they put this on major clearance after the holidays are over, I won’t be repurchasing.

petitecanuck

It is quite expensive when you consider how much is actually needed!

Ok, so liking this less than before. Too tart. So much potential for it without the punch from the hibby. Dropping the rating.

Another Momo’s Teabox B tea! thanks everyone! This is a herbal(?) tea I can stand behind! The mixture is so odd but it works together. There is some hibiscus there but the amount there enhances the flavor and doesn’t overpower even after a LONG steep time (then again there was half a cinnamon stick in my infuser.) I’m not sure if this blend screams the holidays/ sleigh rides (especially the hibiscus). Popped corn, almonds, apples, pineapples, cinnamon, coconut. SO good! Very sweet, creamy and silky even with the hibiscus!

First tea battle!

So, I feel like I need to give a short explanation before I go on with the review. I’ve had, for the last 3 years, the aim of trying all of the teas from DT, buying at least 25g of each (usually 50g) to give them all a true shot at impressing me. I finished the endeavour about two months ago, and I was totally thrilled about the achievement (so was the staff at my local DT, lol). But all along, I’ve been doing it with the goal of building, afterwards, a 32-teas cupboard with my own “permanent collection”, that is, all my favourites. Narrowing it to 32 is REALLY difficult, and sometimes, it’s not worth taking up 2 different spots for 2 teas that fill the same “role” (that is, when I feel like having one, I usually don’t mind having the other instead). Sooooo, this is why I am making tea battles (exciting, right?! I think it is!), where I brew 2 teas side to side, compare them, and choose a winner to be part of my collection of 32 teas.

Today’s contest is: Kanpe Tea vs. Sleigh Ride

I always felt like these two teas were essentially the same, both being very tart from the hibiscus, as well as fruity and spicy and comforting and sort of juicy. I LOVE both, but it certainly isn’t worth having both at hand as they are so similar. Going into the tea battle, I did feel like Sleigh Ride had an advantage, having it linked to fond memories. Comparing them side to side really made the differences more apparent:

- Kanpe is really an in-your-face tea, the flavour is bold, very bold, and rich. Right away, you get a huge amount of sweetness, and a huge amount of tartness. Yum! I know hibiscus haters are a plenty, but I love it! Behind all that sweetness and tartness, you can definitely pick up the fact it’s very fruity, yet it’s really difficult to point to specific fruits, it just feels tropical. It’s also a little spicy, with a hint of cinnamon. But that only adds depth to the prominent sweetness and tartness, which compliment one another in a very balanced way. Maybe it actually is a little too sweet, but that doesn’t keep me from craving one more sip after each of them! It is very slightly astringent. Not enough for it to be unpleasant, but I’d do without that hint of astringency.

- Sleigh Ride is surprisingly (well, it surprised me anyway) a bit less bold. As similar as it is, I see big differences now. What you get right away is the hibiscus: it’s very tart. Probably, not more than Kanpe, but all of the spotlight goes on the tartness, since it is not nearly as sweet. However, after the initial hit of tartness, the spices are very prominent, especially cinnamon. I think I can taste what the popped rice adds to the mix, and I like the additional dimension, but it gets a little lost in all the rest. It’s also fruity, but the spices are really what I naturally concentrate on after the tartness has passed. It has the hint of astringency that Kanpe had as well, so on that level it’s a draw.

Comparison: While Kanpe is so sweet it is almost too much, the in-your-face sweetness compliments the in-your-face tartness so well that I can’t help falling in love with every sip. Sleigh Ride is awesome, but feels a little empty on that level compared to Kanpe. The additional spice taste gives it a few extra points, but that won’t do it. I think Kanpe is a keeper. Sorry Sleigh Ride, I love you nonetheless!

Winner: Kanpe Tea! Yay!

TheTeaFairy

Hahaha, great idea, good luck in your battle rounds! Please make sure none of them get hurt:-)

Sipdown!

I got this as a sample with one of the DT’s orders and I’ve been looking to try it for a while. It smells just like Forever Nuts and tastes almost the same as well… the only difference in taste I think it’s the tartness coming from hibiscus.

I like Forever Nuts so I find this enjoyable as well. Especially that hibiscus is not too overpowering here.

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Dry Leaf Nose: Intriguing and complex nose. Sweet and fruity.

Liquor: Bright pink and clear liquor with a complex aroma that follows the dry leaf nose.

Flavour: Very complex. Sweet and fruity notes are up front, while savoury roasted notes are also prominent. The beetroot and popped rice combine to ground the blend and add a hint of oven baked, spiced gingerbread.

Michelle

Sounds… complex!

Amariel

I can’t recall if I ever had this one last year or not.

DAVIDsTEA

@Michelle: Hahaha! Very Complex :P

This was one of my free samples from my DAVIDsTEA order. I looked at the completely bizarre list of ingredients, and said “Ech! We’ll never like this!” but at the same time was uber-curious to give it a whirl. So, I made it for our evening tisane.

Guess what!? It’s completely delicious. It’s very hard to describe – maybe a lightly spicy, slightly… anise-y? cider-y? kinda tart but sweet, popcorn-y? delight. Truly different than anything I’ve tasted…ever!

Bravo, DAVIDsTEA! I’d order this in a heartbeat!