Grand Cru Matcha

Medium
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by Anlina
175 °F / 79 °C 13 oz / 394 ml

• “Making this one as a wee pick me up to get in a few more solid hours of studying. I’m also using my matcha bowl for the first time! MY grandparents gave it to me for Christmas two years ago,...” Read full tasting note
    Courtney 732 tasting notes
  • “I had this as part of a cold matcha late with soy milk before bed time. Late cravings for it after polishing off two naughty slices of triple chocolate shortbread (which was amazing, best I have...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1335 tasting notes
  • “I like matcha. I decided that since I couldn’t really judge the flavor of the Bavarian Cream I had yesterday, I should sample some plain matcha so that in the future, I will have a reference...” Read full tasting note
    jessiwrites 286 tasting notes
  • “Having recently bought a traditional kit to whisk matcha, I had only so far tried one kind of matcha, DT’s organic standard one, which is fairly cheap. Since I don’t have enough...” Read full tasting note
    Eisenherz 171 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Shhhh, it’s top secret.

We can’t tell you where we get it. But we can tell you it’s delicious. How do we know? Because it’s from Japan’s premier producer in the legendary Aichi Prefecture, and it’s a custom organic blend just for us. Delicately smooth and creamy, with a refreshing green “tea leaf” character, its flavour is totally sublime. A delicious daily luxury on its own, this matcha can also bring lattes, cocktails, milkshakes, and cookies to the next level. Remember, you don’t steep this tea. You whisk it, froth it, mix it, and then… you enjoy it.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Making this one as a wee pick me up to get in a few more solid hours of studying. I’m also using my matcha bowl for the first time! MY grandparents gave it to me for Christmas two years ago, and since it takes up precious room in my tea cupboard I really ought to start using it.

And, it’s awesome!

Flavors: Grass

__Morgana__

Pretty bowl. :-)

Thanks :)

Courtney

I do use the whisk all the time – well all the time being the rare times I drink matcha haha!

I had this as part of a cold matcha late with soy milk before bed time. Late cravings for it after polishing off two naughty slices of triple chocolate shortbread (which was amazing, best I have tasted). I only usually have shortbread at Christmas as I make it for friends and family as a little gift to say ‘thank you for helping me throughout the year’.

The matcha is not as strong as I was expecting, nor does it have any harsh sort of after tastes like I have experienced with a few other matcha. That makes it very fresh and grassy with beautiful smooth, green and spring like combination of flavours. I only had enough for two cups of this :( I could drink this every day.

Lala

I’m jealous. If I have the tiniest bit of caffeine after 1pm I am up all night. I have to drink most of my caffeinated teas in the morning.

I like matcha.

I decided that since I couldn’t really judge the flavor of the Bavarian Cream I had yesterday, I should sample some plain matcha so that in the future, I will have a reference point.

So grassy and earthy and lovely, it’s so good! I am a big fan. I will probably have to look into buying matcha at some point… but Courtney sent me a few samples, so I should be good for a while. She is excellent.

Courtney

I’m so happy you liked this!

whatshesaid

I totally never even heard of this tea! I will have to check Davids tomorrow when I go! I could use a plain matcha til my flavored ones arrive. I’m kind of an addict going without my fix right now

Having recently bought a traditional kit to whisk matcha, I had only so far tried one kind of matcha, DT’s organic standard one, which is fairly cheap. Since I don’t have enough comparison points, I can’t really judge of the quality of this one, but I sense for sure that it is much better than the other. The taste was much fuller, and after some pretty intensive whisking, the texture was so rich and creamy, it was really impressive! It was a nice treat and definitely the best matcha I’ve had so far, but I’m not yet certain if I love it enough to buy it again at $20 for 50g. Probably not, but I’ll very much enjoy it while it lasts!

180 °F / 82 °C
TheTeaFairy

don’t know why, but I feel a bit intimidated by matcha… probably from the ritual aspect of it. It,s one of those things that I’m pretty sure I’m gonna mess up if I don’t have an expert standing next to me to teach me how… Sounds lovely though from your description!

Eisenherz

yes, I totally understand what you mean! I felt intimidated too, so I watched a bunch of youtube videos about it and thought, well, no one’s gonna be watching me mess it up if I do! it’s worth just getting a cheaper matcha and experimenting with it… in any case, no one gets hurt if you make some mistakes :P

TheTeaFairy

You are right, mister, who cares if I mess it up? If it tastes good, that’s what counts, so I’m reconsidering buying a kit and as you mentioned a cheaper matcha to practice on. Great advice about youtube videos, I already feel more confident :)

kboby

Hey! I currently work in a tea store, I am by far no expert but I think I could give you guys a few tips. I completely agree and think it’s a good idea to start with some cheaper matcha. As for the kit, the most important thing is the bamboo whisk as it will be the key to beautiful and frothy matcha! So if you do not want to drop the money for a kit, all you need to buy is a bamboo whisk and make sure you have a shallow bowl (it will be easier to use). With lower grades of matcha, they will often clump so many people sift their tea first (a wire sieve will do, or even break the clumps with a spoon or something). After you have done that pour a small amount of water (1/4 or 1/2 a cup will do, and make sure it is NOT boiling water or it will be very bitter!) and use your whisk in the motion of an “M” and go from right to left in your bowl (try not to scrape your whisk on the bottom of the bowl for over time it will ruin it). At this point, some people pour the matcha into their cup and drink it, and others add more hot water to it – it’s just your preference! I hope this helps! If your still not sure though, I would highly recommend going into a tea store and ask for a cup of matcha and to see how they make it! I believe Davids tea would do this and I know that Teaopia will for sure, it’s also a good way to try different types of matcha and everyone is always so nice and willing to show people. Best of luck!

TheTeaFairy

to kboby: thanks for the tips, but too late, I have already made my first matcha attempt, total disaster! but I will try again using some of your suggestions…

I’ve been wanting to try a matcha tea for months now, but I’ve never been adventurous enough to do so.

So, today, I went to a friend’s place and she made some of this for us in latte form. I have to say, I don’t care for this at all. It’s too grassy for me. It’s just too much… I drank most of it, but I don’t think that I’d ever have it again. Just not my ‘cup-o’-tea’.

I’ve wanted to try matcha for a while, but being five hours away from anywhere that sells it makes it a bit tough. I was definitely worried I wouldn’t like it so I tried a cup of Matcha Matsu at DavidsTea in Halifax in Februay. I liked it and ended up buying 50g of the Grand Cru Matcha (not on the website but it was still at either the MicMac or shopping centre location last weekend. This one is a bit more expensive than the matcha Matsu, but when I went back to buy more than a cup this was all that was left!

I am definitely glad that I bought this, I love it! It has such a fresh, grassy (in a good way) taste that I have been trying very hard not to make it too often! My favorite way to have it is with just a little milk and honey! I have also been adding it to my yogurt and it is quite good :) I find this actually tastes better as it cools as well. I want to make another cup right now…but I have a cold and can’t really taste much, so it would be a waste!

I would definitely recommend this – my experience wit Matcha is definitely limited but the Grand Cru has been consistently delicious every time I’ve made it!

Matcha paste prepared at home with one scoop (David’s Tea “perfect measure”) tea, and around 20ml cold water. Transported to work as shot then mixed up with 1/3 90°C water and 2/3 ‘steamed’ skim milk (using Nespresso Aeroccino). No sweetener.

Second preparation since buying yesterday (but long time take-out drinker). Tea is delicious but like last night’s this wasn’t strong enough so seems the “perfect measure” is a little light for my taste.

195 °F / 90 °C
yappychappy

You’ll definitely need more matcha if using that much milk

Superanna brought me what is commonly known as a “big ol’ honkin’ bag” of this after her trip to Minnesota. I also got the most adorable box of David’s Tea minis. It looks like a chocolate box, but I am even happier with a tea box! Thank you, Superanna! And there wee a couple of other teas, too, that I haven’t even logged yet.

We whipped this up last night and I am having more today. It is so easy to get a good froth on this. I used a little over 1/2 tsp of match in six ounces of water at about 160F. I sifted the matcha into my bowl, poured a wee bit of water and made a paste with my whisk, then added more water and whipped it. The color is rather dark, deep green without brown tint.

This is really creamy and smooth, yet it still has that nice after bite. It isn’t sour or astringent, but has a lingering flavor or grass and what we decided is accurately being called bamboo. Go eat some bamboo shoots in your Asian takeout if you are like us and bamboo taste didn’t pop into your head immediately on reading the description!

Now I am all matcha’ed up and ready to teach this afternoon.

Guess I need to get my wish list ready for Gurman’s in Dublin before she leaves in a month again! :D

MrQuackers

6 oz is a bit too much water and 1/2 a teaspoon is not enough tea. Ideally you want a bit less than a shot glass and a flat teaspoon. I have yet to try this one, yet. I did go through 100g of David’s Ceremonial Matcha. This one is about 68% of the price, when buying a 250 g package. If you like bamboo you can watch a whole NHK program on it. It’s sold at Tsukiji market in Tokyo (or wherever now) and chefs use the differing properties of the same root. Anyways, if you enjoy this matcha go with it. Spending more won’t necessarily bring you more happiness. You might be able to get Cereminial on sale.

ashmanra

I own a lot of matcha and drink it almost every day. I guess I just prefer it weaker than most people. :) My favorite is KaiMatcha Premium followed by Tanabata from Red Leaf. Under that falls this one, DoMatcha, etc…the commonly available ones. We drink it hot or shaken in old water, with the rare latte. Thanks for the tip about it, though!

ashmanra

*Cold water not old water! LOL

Superanna

Yeah MOM geez. Lol

So, it turns out that my usual stir-really-quickly-with-a-fork method does NOT work for this matcha. I mean that method never worked fantastically, but there were SO many clumps. I really need to get actual matcha making gear. It tasted as good as can be expected. Kind of watery except for really strong when you got a clump. I’m not going to rate it, because I’m still pretty new to matcha and also I totally failed at preparing it.

I really like this matcha. It has a smooth taste. I like making matcha shots or having them in a protein smoothie.