Licorice Twist

Fruit Herbal Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From DAVIDsTEA

Let’s do the twist

Here’s one for black licorice lovers. With its sweet anise seed taste, it’s just like biting into a black licorice candy. But it’s also packed with all sorts of good-for-you herbs and spices, from ginger root to nettle leaf. And if you’re suffering from a sore throat, it doesn’t get any more soothing than this. That’s right: not only is this your new favourite sweet treat…it’s also your new favourite cold remedy.

Ingredients: Licorice, mint, fennel, anise, cocoa, candied pineapple, ginger, peppermint, nettle leaf, chilli pepper, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, safflower, and marigold blossoms.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Where’s the licorice ?

I don’t smell it, I don’t taste it. I don’t understand.

According to the name and the description, this is supposed to taste like licorice candy. Either I’m confused about what licorice is supposed to taste like or this tea doesn’t live up to its name. I love licorice and I was hoping for a licorice fix tonight. Not going to happen :(

I have no idea what it tastes like. The only thing I know is that it’s not licorice. And it’s not good either.

Yvonne

I have a feeling my dad would love this, even if the licorice isn’t dominating. He can taste licorice in things that don’t even have licorice :P And he adores it.

Meliboum

I would happily send the whole 50g bag to your dad lol ! He would probably taste it because based on the comments I found here on Steepster most people do ! Not me :(

Yvonne

If you want, I can send you my shipping address :P

I love black licorice. When I was little, one of my best friends was from Holland, and she would share her “double salt” black licorice….an acquired taste, but I came to love them! Now, I love also love the sweeter twizzlers, the all sorts mix…..licorice…..I like it.

This tea was one of my first purchases. I dug it out of the cupboard, looking for something decaf on Sunday night. It smells “herb-y”…. This worries me, but the first sip is good…..strong sweet powerful licorice flavor….it’s spicey too, with ginger, cloves…..but the licorice is the predominant taste…..it stays in your mouth like a black hard candy…..not bad……sweet, you don’t need to add a thing…….perfect for late evening sipping, sweet strong and satisfying…….I think it is out of stock at the moment……hope it comes back, I would re-buy…..a good choice for licorice lovers…..

Cold remedy? Maybe, but I like Licorice Twist all the time!
I’m upping my rating, this tea has so much delightful complexity. The licorice is sweet and smooth, and the chili pepper is a surprisingly playful afterthought in the back of the throat. I can even taste the mint and a bit of the pineapple! There’s a lot of flavours but they mix very well together.
The aftertaste reminds me of my childhood, when I used to go to the bank with my mom and I would steal a small pile of envelopes to take home and lick shut. What I’m getting at is that the aftertaste tastes like envelope glue. And I like that.

I am not a fan of licorice. I really haven’t figured out why. I think that this tea is OK though, nothing too special.

To me this tea reminds me too much of Bravissimo, I find that there isn’t too much of a difference between the two.

There is a nice sweet after taste that is very cool and soothing. I really enjoy that aspect of the tea, other than that, I can’t really taste anything else in the tea.

I love a good licorice tea so I bought this one, despite it’s rather bland scent. The first sip was kind of a disappointment, it was kind of like watered down licorice, but not too bad. Then the fennel kicked me in the taste buds and there was a swirl of delicious flavors!! It was so good I enjoyed two 16oz mugs in a row!!

I don’t like black licorice candy, but I love licorice root in my herbal teas so I was very eager to try this new tea from David’s Tea.

The overall flavour profile reminds me of the original Vata Ayurvedic tea David’s used to carry 3 years ago (not the current one with the rose petals and chamomile in it), which in my opinion was the Vata Organic from Tea Gschwendner. The licorice flavour is actually quite subtle in this tea, but the anise and fennel compliment it quite nicely. The chili pepper is an interesting addition and adds a gentle kick to this. The mint is very subtle and I certainly can’t detect any pineapple. I prefer a stronger licorice flavour so I use 2 heaping teaspoons when I brew this.

If you believe in traditional Chinese medicine, this is a “hot” beverage, and too much of this would definitely through your “balance” off.

I am a big fan of Licorice Tea so I was super excited to try a licorice tea by my favorite tea company.
I sneezed when I first opened the pouch which for me is a good sign because it was just so overwhelmingly licorice-y.
The taste is incredible like an average licorice tea but with a very appealing edges of anise and fennel.
Has a very spicy smell that just wakes up all your senses.
it definitely could cure a cold with its spicy heated taste.
Perfect for cold days and late nights.
Not for the faint of heart.

This was definitely not the tea for me. The first time I tried it I was sick with a horrid cold, and I didn’t mind it. I love black licorice and there was enough of the flavour in the tea for me to be content.

Now that I’m healthy I revisited the tea and was overpowered by the combination of the flavours. If you’re a fan of licorice or anise teas, you’re going to love this one. But if you’re like me and only like the candy, I’d give this one a pass.

I hate black licorice, thankfully there are enough “other” flavors that make me not hate this tea. No, I don’t love it… But it’s interesting. Also it’s making me feel a little better, as I am sick and cranky and no other tea was calling my name. Do you get like that? A tea for your moods…. Like watermelon mint is too happy of a tea or butter rum is too intellectual for watching tv. Ok, I think it might just be me. Anyway, this tea makes me feel less cranky.

coldbrew sipdown (331/313)

I should really say this is a pourdown because one sip turned my stomach so bad that I immediately threw the rest out. I like licorice in tea and i hate wasting tea, but this one is just plain awful and nausea-inducing.