Licorice Twist

Cloves, Ginger, Mint, Peppermint, Fennel, Honey, Licorice, Spicy
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From DAVIDsTEA

Let’s do the twist

Here’s one for black licorice lovers. With its sweet anise seed taste, it’s just like biting into a black licorice candy. But it’s also packed with all sorts of good-for-you herbs and spices, from ginger root to nettle leaf. And if you’re suffering from a sore throat, it doesn’t get any more soothing than this. That’s right: not only is this your new favourite sweet treat…it’s also your new favourite cold remedy.

Ingredients: Licorice, mint, fennel, anise, cocoa, candied pineapple, ginger, peppermint, nettle leaf, chilli pepper, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, safflower, and marigold blossoms.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

It seems a lot of people have a less favourable opinion about Licorice Twist, but I absolutely love it! It actually tastes nothing like black licorice, which is perfectly fine with me, though I’m beginning to think this may be why people don’t like it as much as I do.

In any case, with a dash of sugar (or honey, or agave, or any sweetener really) it’s absolutely amazing and I adore it. It’s perfect, actually, for a sore throat (which I currently have and is precisely why I am nursing a teacup right now) and just feels very comforting in -20°C weather, like today.

Would def recommend to someone who’s a fan of mint teas and something on the sweeter side.

Flavors: Cloves, Ginger, Mint, Peppermint

I got this tea since I’ve been feeling a bit under the weather and I have a soft spot for anise and licorice flavors. Licorice is the main flavor, despite the varied ingredient list, with mint being a close second. It does not taste like candy, not like black jelly beans; it’s a softer, more herbal flavor. On the aftertaste there is a bit of the fennel flavor, but I don’t taste any pineapple, cloves or cocoa. It’s caffeine free, and an unusual flavor, so it might be a nice change of pace from the roobios or ginger nighttime teas I drink lately. It definitely looks colorful and fun with real chunks of licorice root in the mix, but probably not a great tea if you aren’t a fan of black licorice.

Flavors: Fennel, Honey, Licorice, Mint

I tried a sample of this the other day while at David’s. This tea is very strong/bold with it’s licorice flavour but in the background there is a spicy note as well. I am not a huge fan of licorice so for me, this one was just ok but if you are a fan of it, I would recommend giving this tea a try.

Flavors: Licorice, Spicy

I hate black licorice, thankfully there are enough “other” flavors that make me not hate this tea. No, I don’t love it… But it’s interesting. Also it’s making me feel a little better, as I am sick and cranky and no other tea was calling my name. Do you get like that? A tea for your moods…. Like watermelon mint is too happy of a tea or butter rum is too intellectual for watching tv. Ok, I think it might just be me. Anyway, this tea makes me feel less cranky.

coldbrew sipdown (331/313)

I should really say this is a pourdown because one sip turned my stomach so bad that I immediately threw the rest out. I like licorice in tea and i hate wasting tea, but this one is just plain awful and nausea-inducing.

My fiancé, who is Dutch, just loves black licorice and anise. I, on the other hand, hate black licorice but love anise. However, we both enjoy this tea! I prefer Bravissimo over this tea but this is nice when I want a licorice-y tasting tea that won’t make me sleepy.

This tea has the Dutch seal of approval!

Too many flavours going on in this mix…needs to be less complex and less spicy and more licorice.

This tea is decent. As a black licorice lover, I was hoping for a stronger licorice presence, but as other steepsters have mentioned, the other flavors seem to compete with the licorice taste. That being said, I tried it at DAVIDs TEA hot with honey and it tasted pretty yummy; enough so that I bought 50g and some of the honey straws. I have a sore throat now so this sounds like the perfect remedy!

I love licorice but did not really like this tea. Coincidentally I had a sore throat and did not really find it helped.

Hooo… sweet baby Jesus! Now I remember why I buried you in my cupboard, Licorice Twist.

Dry smell? Could almost pass for green licorice.
Steeping? Oh god it looks like grass, it smells like grass, it tastes like a freshly mown lawn (don’t ask how I know, xD) blended with what used to be mint in a past life. To top it off, its a bit spicy too.
Blech. This does not taste like licorice. Maybe licorice chopped up in a bowl of steaming hot water… with grass clippings?