Sweet Ginger Heat

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Hmm… I need to figure out how to get my leaves into my Timolino basket without getting them everywhere (I use a rather wide spoon to measure things out and with the basket being a bit smaller than...” Read full tasting note
    jjoeve 105 tasting notes
  • “This has a lot of my fave flaves in it: licorice, pink peppercorns, ginger, orange peel and of course green tea. I grabbed it on a whim - to pad my recent DT order so I could reach the $50 for free...” Read full tasting note
    tea-slinger 576 tasting notes
  • “backlog from yesterday I received this in a swap from *Jes* I do believe. This sounded more than just a ginger tea, but I find in scent it's just ginger. Could have been my congestion. The...” Read full tasting note
    tattooed_tea 290 tasting notes
  • “Licorice punch, right in the face. Le sigh. One sip, the rest down the drain...I *hate* doing that. I just don't think I can do any of the ayurvedic teas due to licorice-y things.” Read full tasting note
    heathermartin 590 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Turn up the heat
There are tons of reasons to love ginger. It’s been used as a digestive aid for thousands of years: Confucius wrote in 500 BC that he never ate a meal without some on hand. And according to ayurveda, ginger balances excess kapha or sluggishness. Plus there’s nothing more soothing on a sore throat than ginger’s spicy heat. With ginger, green tea, licorice and orange peel, this sweet and spicy blend is a real multitasker – and it still finds time to taste great.

Ingredients: Organic: ginger, green tea, licorice, orange peel, rosehips, pink peppercorns, stevia leaf. With natural flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I wasn’t on planning on buying this one – I was focused on getting a few other teas. I smelled this one and was like “WHOA GINGER PUNCH IN THE FACE” all over again (see my DAVIDsTea Pu-reh Ginger review, lol), but decided to try it as the sales gal said this one was her fav out of the new teas.

Annnd… this tea steeped into a murkey yellow green. The ginger punch decreased quite a bit for smell.

For taste, the Stevia is the first hit (and if you’ve never had stevia before, it’s pretty sweet on the tongue, but as it goes down it’s loses its sweetness) with a taste of the green tea.
As the stevia fades, the powerful ginger and light peppercorn heat can be felt heating the throat pleasantly.

After all that, there’s a licorice flavour that lingers in the mouth.

First few sips I thought it was kinda icky but also weird. In the past, I’ve disliked stevia so that’s where that “ick” comes from for me. After half the mug of tea, I was enjoying the changing of flavours of the tea. The ginger and heat is refreshing. The uniqueness keeps making me drink the cup despite my stevia hatred.

With that said – if you dislike stevia with a passion I’d stay away. If you want a very unique tea, love ginger, a little heat, sweet and licorice, give it a try.

Me? I think I like it because Sweet Ginger Heat is different. Not sure if I’ll buy more after my 30g is used up.

Yummyummyummy. I honestly have no idea what licorice tastes like, so I’m not really getting what other people are saying. All I taste is ginger! I love ginger teas, so naturally I love this.

ginger tea. that’s all i got really. no licorice, which i was hoping for.
i guess i wanted this to be my go to cold tea, but i don’t think so.
there was a little bit of green tea flavour hiding in there, but not much else.
i decent tea, but there’s better ones out there.
i’ll stick with my ginseng & ginger from silk road i think!

I’m trying to blaze through tasting the bits of all of the new Davids teas today, so I can place an order online for Santa’s Secret before it’s sold out. I may already be too late!

So, given that fact, I’m trying this one right after trying Splash! for the first time, and I may be over-gingering myself.

I like the smell of this one a lot – just like ginger beer. Spicy and sweet.

The flavour is actually a bit flat when compared to the smell. My first cup was just a 3-minute steep, so I put the leaves back into the pot to see what might happen. And still, it’s a bit flat for my taste. I want more punch! I also wish there was more of a green tea profile.

I’m giving this one a firm meh. I think that if I’m looking for a ginger hit, there are other teas I would turn to first.

Another DAVIDsTEA that I don’t like…but actually this was the worst tea I’ve had ever in existence! This is was the first tea I had ever bought from DAVIDsTEA and at first taste, like literally the first taste, it’s not too bad. But then the sweetener and the ginger kick you in the throat with a painful mixture of sweet and sharp. Blah. I just really want to find a good tea from there–I have a free tea to get still but I’m afraid of going back. Every experience is a bad one.

This tea smells much spicier than it actually tastes.. My fiance loves this tea – he said he likes the balance of the ginger with the peppercorns. I don’t enjoy it nearly as much. There’s a hint of ginger and I love the peppercorns because it gives a lingering spicy taste. But I also get a very earthy, dirt like taste. It must be from the green tea?

Argh, some days it really seems like the PT is trying to torture me although I know it needs to be done. I might be going to work part-time next week or I might be getting fired and I’m waiting to hear what the final conclusion is. Couldn’t wait to come home and have a nice cup of tea to take my mind off my troubles. :)

I’ve been looking for a nice ginger green tea for some anti-inflammatory properties so perhaps this is it. Looking through the reviews on Steepster, this is definitely an unpopular tea but I actually like it. Mostly what I get from this cup is the ginger and the pepper which are both very strong and spicy. There is both licorice and stevia in here as well as orange peel. I don’t get the orange peel at all but there is a touch of sweetness from the licorice which I don’t really mind either. I guess you need to appreciate a lot of spices in order to get into this one. Mostly I’ll be drinking it for the health benefits and it’s A-ok in my book… between the ginger, green tea and licorice it’s an anti-inflammatory cocktail!

Kat_Maria

It’s not right you might be getting fired! :(

TeaBrat

It could be a blessing in disguise!

sherapop

How could you be fired if you are in the midst of PT? That does not sound right to me…

TeaBrat

I think they can always claim it would cause the company some kind of undue hardship but I am not medically ready to go back full time. oh well!

Kat_Maria

I hope it will turn out for the best for you, TeaBrat!

I’m sad I don’t like this tea more. I love all of the ingredients listed, but I think the problem is the flavour combo when they are all put together. I was expecting more of a mildly spicy (and only slightly sweet) tea like Honey bush Lemon Ginger or Super Ginger but instead it kind of tasted like Licorice Twist and Super Ginger mixed together. If the licorice were removed, I think I would like it. My opinion is the tea should either be spiced based or “sweet” based…not both.

This tea is good, but not much more than that.
Firstly, I love ginger flavour and the smell of the dry tea reminded me so much of ginger chews. At first sip, you do experience all of the ginger flavour, however, the peppercorns eventually over power it. There is a bit of a liquorice flavour, which I loved. It coats your mouth and tongue with its flavour. I drank this tea really hot, with a sore throat and enjoyed it. I think it might benefit from adding some agave or sugar to it.

I’m a huge fan of ginger…but this tasted like a cross between soup broth and medicine to me.