New Delhi Delight

Herbal Tea
Anise
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 5 min, 45 sec 12 oz / 354 ml

• “So I had a _huge_ meal of perogies, onion and mushrooms tonight, and - comfort food or not - my stomach was protesting mightily. One of those situations where you accidentally made more food than...” Read full tasting note
    Daniel_Scott 107 tasting notes
  • “I could really pick out the individual ingredients (coriander, fennel, with a little bit of cumin) - they all seemed to be very distinct and yelling out "Hey! I'm right here!" like they were little...” Read full tasting note
    BlueKittyMeow 124 tasting notes
  • “Dry Leaf Nose: Fennel is the prominent aroma, with cumin and coriander seed following. Liquor: Golden, light gold. Flavour: The sweetness of the fennel is the dominant flavour. Very light and...” Read full tasting note
    DAVIDsTEA 167 tasting notes
  • “I dropped in today on my way home from the city. When I walked in, it was not busy at all but of course I took forever to pick a tea to try; I always try something new when I go in. Lets just say...” Read full tasting note
    MooKiwi 147 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

An Indian classic
Fennel has a long history of medicinal, cultural and magical uses – especially as a digestive aid. For hundreds of years, people have munched fennel seeds during a fast to quiet their rumbling stomachs and soothe hunger pangs. And this mild blend of fennel, cumin and coriander is a classic ayurvedic digestive remedy: walk into any ashram and you’ll find them sipping it all day long. We recommend trying a cup before or after a heavy meal.

Ingredients: Coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

So I had a huge meal of perogies, onion and mushrooms tonight, and – comfort food or not – my stomach was protesting mightily. One of those situations where you accidentally made more food than you can comfortably eat, but it’s not going to keep well so you eat it anyway. I remembered that I have this one in my cupboard, so I ran for it.

I recall looking up the reviews for this ages back when I was considering getting it, and saw Tina S.’s review which described this tea as “watered down samosa.” And that’s a pretty good description of it – particularly when you don’t steep it long enough. Luckily, I love samosas! So I gave it a shot.

The first time I tried this, I had no idea what sort of parameters you’d need for kitchen spices(!), so I stuck to the minimum on the bag, which is 4 minutes. Yeah. Forget that, unless you like the taste of water that cuddled up to a microwaveable package of Indian curry. This one needs to steep long time. At least the 7 minute “maximum” suggested on the package.

I double the amount of sugar I normally use for this cup. Might sound strange, but I find that the sugar blends well with the natural sweetness to this tea, which I assume is mostly brought about by the fennel at the forefront…followed by the coriander, with cumin coming in at the back.

Most importantly though (because while it’s not unpleasant at all, this is hardly a tea I’d reach for under normal circumstances), it actually works. Really. Does exactly what it says on the tin – I started sipping it, and my stomach started to settle and stop aching almost immediately! Okay taste, but five stars for “benefits.”

Boiling 8 min or more
Indigobloom

Perogies! YUM!! I always overeat with perogies, the only time I do that, typically!
For a quick fix, if I can’t get to my tea… I sneak an apple cider vinegar tablet/shot. It dissolves the food a little and feels sooo much better but it’s only immediate with the liquid version. and it tastes awful! :s

Azzrian

Ha we are making Perogies tonight!!

Missy

Then I’m coming over for dinner!!!!

Azzrian

Ha!! LOL dang I would have welcomed you but alas now they are gone :(

Missy

If I had just remembered that teleport spell I would have been there!

I could really pick out the individual ingredients (coriander, fennel, with a little bit of cumin) – they all seemed to be very distinct and yelling out “Hey! I’m right here!” like they were little hot dog vendors at a baseball game or something :P
I wasn’t expecting to love this from the scent but I actually think it tastes nice. There is some kind of a sweet element here that tastes like black licorice (I guess that’s the fennel). Normally I’m not really a licorice person, but I really like that flavor in here.
It kind of strikes me like Moxie – either you like those flavors or you don’t. It is another one of those teas that seem like my grandmother would have liked. I think it’s good :)

Liquor: Golden, light gold.

Flavour: The sweetness of the fennel is the dominant flavour. Very light and refreshing.

I dropped in today on my way home from the city. When I walked in, it was not busy at all but of course I took forever to pick a tea to try; I always try something new when I go in. Lets just say it’s pretty bad when you look up at the huge wall of tea and see the contents of your pantry! I decided to try this one as my mom told me she tried it last week and loved it. I really love Indian food and the spices they use in their cooking so I figured this would be good. I also love that it is based on Ayurvedic medicine. The smell is really complex and is truthful to the complex taste of this tea. The depth of flavour really allows each of the spices to come through individually and finish together. I had this tea before a heavy lunch and was pleased that I had no digestive issues (so I guess the tea worked!) overall, I think this was a nice cup of tea. It was really different from any of the teas I normally gravitate towards so I can’t see myself stocking up but I would definitely have this tea again…especially before a big meal! As I am using my phone and can’t rate I will just mention here that I am giving this tea an 80.

I love Indian food, but still I was very very hesitant when I smelled this and felt like I was in the middle of rush hour in an Indian buffet. Still, all teas can shift during brewing, so we tried it.

Nope, watered down samosa is exactly the flavour I got. Apparently I love the spices in my food, but not my tea. Not rating it since if you like these flavours it’s probably amazing, but it really wasn’t for me.

Day 72 of my 101 days of DAVIDsTEA challenge.

1.5 tsp in a tea-ball, brewed in-cup.

This tea has a very interesting flavour profile. I… never thought I’d meet a tea that smelled or tasted like Indian spices — curries and samosas.

This tea, however, does it. And does it quite well.

The only problem? I don’t quite know what to make of it. It’s certainly an interesting tea, and it tastes just like I suppose it should. And it works, which is something I wasn’t expecting either. I just don’t know if I quite enjoy it or not.

But it definitely is an interesting tea, at the very least. Worth trying for sure!

This tea is just…weird. The smell of it reminds me of dutch cheese, which I’m not too fond of (at least in tea form!). I think it tastes gross. I will not buy this again, and am only going to keep it to see if it helps after I eat a heavy meal.

I’m preparing a Timolino of this as I type. I came across this a few weeks ago because it was discounted on the website. I have stomach issues so thought I would give it a try. I’m so glad I gave it a shot. The cost of putting this tea together would be substantial if buying the spices individually, so it’s nice to have them all together. And it works.

After reading up on these types of teas, I’ve learned that the longer you can steep it, the better it is (and the better it works). I would agree. I usually just get mine ready in the Timolino first thing in the morning and then it’s ready at lunchtime. Yup, I usually steep it between four and five hours. And it’s wonderful. I really enjoy the flavour, and I’m amazed at how well it works. If I sip on this all day, I don’t tend to suffer from my usual stomach problems (just general nausea and ickiness, nothing serious). It’s also nice after a Bikram class (even though drinking something hot after coming out a hot classroom can be difficult). It’s unfortunate that this has been discontinued. I’ve stocked up and hopefully it will last me a little while. I’ve gone through about 150g in the past month.

It’s become a very comforting flavour and aroma for me.

Flavors: Anise

Boiling 8 min or more 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

This tea has always peaked my interest. I love the savory notes of this tea, and am always transported to a warm kitchen filled with great food! If you are feeling hungry, or even if you’ve just enjoyed a delicious meal, this tea is packed with benefits, which always equals a happy tummy.

Sigh Oh, memories. This tea tugs on the heartstrings a bit for me, because is like the liquid version of a person I know. Haha… and it makes me laugh. :) It’s like walking into an East Indian spice market, hands down. I really like the powdered spice taste… instead of just a chili kick. You can really taste the coriander and the fennel, which reminds me EXACTLY of those little seeds you sometimes get after many East Indian meals. I find it really works well, which is not something you might expect to taste in tea, but I like it. I don’t know if it would be one I could drink every day, but I’m a fan of the fiery little kick. Perhaps though, I may just need a holiday.