Gold Rush (organic)

Fruit White Blend
Coconut, Caramel, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I was in DAVIDsTEA today and bought myself the little gong fu teapot and some clear double walled tea cups for my birthday tomorrow. And the new mate teas. I told the girl working that it was a...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 791 tasting notes
  • “An oh so drool-inducing sipdown. It's a coconut caramel cloud. This is a sad moment here! I'd buy more but it's quite expensive so maybe I'll reward myself later, like when I finish the semester or...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! (197) I picked up 10 g of this which does not go very far and so I was saving it for when I needed it most. Today my tea experiences have been less than stellar and so when I brewed up...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1847 tasting notes
  • “Took advantage of the fact the tin of this was out (I was packaging some for Cavo) to brew myself up a mug of it! I haven't had it in a while, so I thought "why not?". This is a more expensive one...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1687 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Hit the jackpot

Mulberries are a pretty precious fruit, so you don’t find them in tea very often. After all, mulberry trees are usually reserved for silk making, as they’re the only thing silkworms will eat. No wonder – they’re naturally sweet and rich, with an almost caramel-like flavour. In a word, decadent. Here we pair golden mulberries with creamy coconut and delicate white tea, for a tea that is guaranteed to give you gold fever. Eureeka! (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: mulberries, coconut, white Silver Needle tea. With natural and organic flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Sorry for all the backlogs folks! my computer decided to take a vacay without me the other day…
So this cuppa was interesting. I had no trouble drinking it, which got a little woot! from me, but the caramel was just too much. It completely overrides the white tea!
I love burnt sugar as much as the next tea lover but I love my tea more… so don’t hide it on me k?! Play nice and share the spotlight…
Oh and I got just two good steeps. The third was really iffy. I drank it only because I was thirsty.
David’s… please come out with something that revives my faith in you soon! your blends lately have been so meh for me lately. It makes me sad! :(

Erin

I agree, white tea especially tends to get hidden/overwhelmed in flavoured blends. And it’s my favourite kind of tea! D:

Tamm

You are all killing me with reviews of this tea. want so bad!!!

Kittenna

Yes, I waived my “tea-taste” requirement for this tea as I enjoyed the caramel so much. That’s definitely been my main complaint about many of DT’s white teas though. So much better when the two flavours blend…

I know right!?
DTs Strawberry White was the only one that balanced the flavours well… and now it’s gone. Boo!

Kittenna

Strawberry White isn’t gone, it’s just online exclusive!

Indigobloom

oh seriously?! maybe it’s worth paying the extra shipping!

Kittenna

Yeah, as far as I know :) My strategy was to wait until I needed a large quantity of a couple other teas as well, and order them all at once to reach $50 for free shipping. Or, to order a gift card as well to count towards the $50.

Indigobloom

Yeah I hear ya on that. except the $50 is usually way out of my budget, and I rarely need that much tea at one time. The gift card idea is great though!!

Kittenna

Ahh, fair enough. I suppose the only reason that $50 is within my range right now is because I only have small sample sizes of most of their teas, and have not yet purchased larger quantities, so have a list of teas for which I soon plan to buy 50-100g (and it’s easy enough to just buy them online instead of going into the store). But if you already have a good-sized tea stash, I can see why this might not work!

Indigobloom

Ahhh yesss the newbie phenomenon. It’s very addictive! But lately, I’ve been struggling to keep up with my samples and random purchases from various places… no way could I drink down $50 worth very fast!

Bonnie

Listen guys…with the price of gas…I think that $5 for shipping is sometimes less than some people would pay for a round trip to buy the blasted tea in their hometown! I used to live 30 miles from the closest tea house in California…60 miles roundtrip…so what would you do? Order from DAVIDsTEA for 5 BUCKS!

lol very good point!!
It’s just, well there are a few David’s locations near me that I go to regularly and it feels odd ordering from them when I’m in the shop regularly!
but if Iived out of the way, no question… def worth it! :)

I went a step lower (185 vs 190) and a tad longer (7 minutes vs 6.5) to see if it would change the flavor.
It wasn’t bad – I drank this distractedly and didn’t end up seeing much of a difference.

Lynne-tea

Try a 10 minute steep. Thats usually what I let it go for and it really lets the creamy deliciousness come out =)

BlueKittyMeow

Oooh thanks, I’ll try that. What water temperature do you like to use?

Lynne-tea

No problemo! I like to use ~93 and prefer making a bigger pot vs just a single cup for myself. For some reason this tea (to me) tastes better when brewed in a pot. I dont know why… it just does =S

BlueKittyMeow

I tried this your way, Lynne-tea, and it was made of win – it gave it a really nice creaminess :) Thanks!

A big thanks to DaisyChubb for sending me a bit of this tea.

Wow! this is really delicious.

Dry, the tea smells like coconut and berries. So, I found the flavor to be very surprising, because I don’t taste coconut or berries at the start … I taste caramel. Sweet, creamy, delicious caramel.

After a couple of sips, the coconut flavor begins to come in to focus, and the creamy sweetness of the coconut melds seamlessly with the caramel, perhaps this is why I didn’t notice the coconut at first. The mulberry adds a pleasant hint of berry flavor, with a more defined berry tone toward the finish and in the aftertaste.

A really unique, delicious tea. I’m really glad I got to try this one! Thanks again DaisyChubb! I think this one may find itself on my shopping list!

DaisyChubb

Really glad you liked it!

Argh, silly me, I thought this was a herbal, not a white tea! Probably something I shouldn’t be drinking at 4:22am. Regardless, thanks to Momo for sharing this in the 12 Days of Christmas swap!

Reminds me a bit of Coco Thai with the coconut. A bit of an off taste though, similarly to how it smelled. Likely the huge pieces of walnuts in this? Unsure. All I know is, the walnuts were mush by the time I got to taking it out of the water. :$

Boiling 8 min or more
Roswell Strange

There aren’t walnuts in this? Mulberries, coconut, silver needle…

OMGsrsly

Your walnuts were likely the mulberries.

MissB

Mulberries look like huge walnuts? Really? I need to look this up. I swear they were walnuts… now I’m confused.

MissB

I guess huge mulberries that have been blanched (or unripe? different strain?) from what I can tell look similarly. How interesting. I must’ve been really, really tired last night.

Roswell Strange

Fresh mulberries are bright purple and look like blackberries, but dried they’re a golden/yellow colour (hence the name of the blend).

I picked up some of this tonight as a to-go cup. I had this almost a year ago, when it first came out, but I never bothered to pick up more as it was just too expensive in relation to how much I enjoyed it. Every once in a while, in a cup, it’s ok, though. It’s also one of those “teas” that doesn’t consist of a lot of leaf, and I can relax on the “steeping time” with the baggy; optimal for David’s Tea to-go cups!

There’s a good dose of coconut in this but the flavour is clearly dictated by the mulberries, a very strange, extremely sweet “golden yellow-white” berry. The Liqour smells like syrupy coconut.

On the bus ride back to the rented place, I couldn’t help but think this would make a very tasty “light beer”. I don’t know why, it’s not particularly malty, more a nutty and fruity honey flavour but it has something I associate with light sweet beers.

I love eating the wet leaves of this tea most of all. The mulberries and coconut still have their sweetness (I guess I could have done a second steep) but I ate everything too fast. So good! I know, I’m a strange one. There were actually a few white tea leaves this time around, which is very surprising for this blend!

Cavocorax

This sounds really good! I like getting the go-cups, then resteeping it later on. It always seems like they put a lot of tea in there.

CrowKettle

Yes, it does seem that way. I was surprised with how much was in the tea bag. This is both a heavy and expensive tea and I felt very satisfied with taking this to go.

Amariel

I ate my mulberries today too. I might get a bagful of it, but horde it and only have it once in a while. Or, add some if my white peony to it to stretch it out some. It is a weighty tea. My 24g was nearly $2 more than my 26g of Movie Night which does share some similar characteristics.

A friend of mine works near one of the DavidsTea shops in NYC and she offered to go get me things so I could try smaller amounts. Of course I still ended up where some weren’t available in smaller amounts…one in a 50g bag and one in a 2oz bag. Then this one was .6oz and the other 3 are .5oz, but now I see why from the other notes on here!

I’m really amused right now because I convinced my boyfriend to get an electric kettle so he didn’t have to wait forever to heat water for coffee, and I’m the one using it and I’m only making tea. Now I feel like I made him get it for me to use here! I hope he uses it when I’m not around…I should turn it a certain way and see if it moves at all between visits.

I love how this smells, both dry and steeped! It’s like coconut cake!

It tastes like coconut, vanilla, and caramel. I was worried I wasn’t going to like it since people said it reminded them of Secret Weapon and I hated Secret Weapon. As it cools it gets even more like cake.

I let it steep for about 12 minutes and I plan to steep it again for even longer when I finish this cup.

And of course there is nothing that tastes even remotely like white tea present. That makes two teas that I would so get again if they weren’t $11.50 and would be better suited to just leaving out the white tea :[ Especially since this one is so bulky, I’ll be curious to see how many cups I can even get out of it. Looks though like it may be good for 2 steeps so that might help slightly.

Ok, second steep time. I also just ate one of the mulberries because I’ve never had a mulberry and at this point it just tasted like a weird version of this tea. Second steep seems creamier, with a nice caramel aftertaste that’s not too strong. Still really good, but probably would not do much on a third steep especially because I think I let this steep for close to 20 min. The end of the first cup was really fruity, it surprised me.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more
Dylan Oxford

Hehehe, Missy did that with a blueberry from our blueberry rooibos! It made me laugh.

Kittenna

I routinely eat the fruit from my teas :D In a way it’s kind of a gauge to see whether I’ve gotten everything I could out of a tea.

I liked this, but was expecting more from it. It definitely has a nice creamy caramel flavour going for it. And I was expecting it to be heavy on the additions and light on the tea from others’ reviews, but I actually didn’t expect this! It was basically all mulberries with a few coconut shavings and a very few tea leaves. Something about paying 11.50 for, basically, 50 grams of dried berries with some added flavouring does not sit right with me. And paying what seems to be the “white tea” price for something that is really just honorarily a white tea is also silly. I think if this was priced as an herbal it would still be obscene, but more affordable.

It was tasty but not outstanding, and I feel ripped off so wouldn’t buy it again. While I found it underwhelming, though, the man-of-the-house volunteered that it was “really good” (as opposed to his usual “it’s good” when prompted). But the berry carnage in the Breville’s brewing basket freaked him out when I asked him to go make the next batch of tea.

SimpliciTEA

I hate to say it, but your description of, too many flavoring bits, and too little tea, reminds me of Teavana. I hope Davids Tea is not going the route of Teavana!

Jessie

I hope not, too! Teavana is already opening here in Toronto.

papabear

I also found this tea rather expensive to the about of brew you are able to make out of it.

Drunk From Tea

Really!? Theres a Teavana opening here in Toronto!? Where??!!

Jessie

Holt Renfrew, apparently! I think I’ve heard rumour of other locations, but saw this a few days ago: http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/ret/2881407102.html

Magda

As far as expense goes, I think the mulberries themselves have more to do with the cost than it being “white tea price”… recent DT white teas have only been $16-20/100g (Checkmate, Cherry Potion, Mango Madness). However, the Caramel Spice blend in the Fall Collection was priced higher than black teas usually are, and it also contained golden mulberries. Perhaps mulberries are high-priced because they have so many benefits – http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/mulberries.html

Maybe this perspective will help you feel less ripped off! :)

Jessie

Hehe! Thanks! It would, except I think my issue is 1) dried fruits and berries don’t steep up a whole lotta flavour and 2) I noticed on my last trip to Bulk Barn that their mulberries were something like $2.25/100 g. But I will tell myself that GOLDEN mulberries are much more luxurious and thus worth it. :)

One step forward, six steps back…

By which I mean I’m drinking up the last of this, but just added 6 more to my cupboard. So much for “down to 100 or less by the 7th.” Oh well. At least I’ve learned my lesson by now about buying more than sample sizes of anything first-try. (With the exception of Teaopia’s Love Spell, since I’ve never had it before, and it won’t be available soon – may as well just go for the 50g, I know it’s good.) So most of those additions to my cupboard won’t be around for long.

[ Edit: Just discovered that Love Spell is apparently one of Teaopia’s “top 20,” so they are keeping it after all.]

This one is SO good, and a definite re-purchase at some point, even though it is stupidly expensive despite having barely any tea in it. (It is pretty hard to dent my high opinion of DAVIDsTEA, but these days even I have to wince when I open my bag or tin at home and discover, say, the half a slice of dried orange I found in my tin of Mango Madness. Seriously, I paid for the weight of that? What the hell am I even going to DO with that, use it as a cocktail garnish?!)

This is so creamy – especially sweetened with honey, which always adds to or brings out creaminess in teas – and like I said, I love creaminess! Creamy coconut is really the strongest impression I get from this one. Other people have said “caramel” and I get where that’s coming from, but I don’t know if it’s the first description I would have used if I hadn’t seen other people describe this tea that way. Perhaps if you could imagine a fruity version of caramel; that’s what this tastes like. There’s a sweet fruitiness to it under the cream and coconut.

So I guess that’s the mulberries. Although, to be honest, I’ve never had a mulberry. So I’m not sure exactly what they are adding to this tea other than that fruity note.

I decided to try for two steeps of my last leaf of this, so I steeped the first cup for 5 minutes and the second cup for 9, both around 90 degrees. I honestly expected the first cup to be weak, but it really wasn’t…and in the second, if I concentrate, I actually faintly taste the Bai Mu Dan-which-barely-was.

In other news, Tea Annoyances, it really sucks when “your” bathroom in the house is also the main bathroom because you drew the short straw for bedrooms and are the only member of the household without your own bathroom…so everyone uses your bathroom to shower, have baths, shave their legs for two hours, etc. AND YOU DRINK A LOT OF TEA.

195 °F / 90 °C 8 min or more
Bonnie

That is indeed sad! My. 16 year old granddaughter has to share with her 3 little brothers! Yuck! 10 people, 3 bathrooms and 3 teenage girls! Not good!

Kittenna

Do you know where the ‘top 20’ list might be found online? Also, I found the mulberries were definitely what gave it the caramelly taste. I found them at Bulk Barn after having this tea and picked up some to eat. If I picked this tea up again, I’d probably fortify my cup with extras :D

Also – the bathroom thing sucks! I’m lucky I usually drink tea in the evening when people are sleeping (also, my house has three bathrooms and four people over the summer!)

Daniel Scott

@Bonnie – Oh wow, 10 people, 3 of them teenage girls and only 3 bathrooms? I can only imagine the fights!

@Kittenna – Interesting, I will have to try mulberries!

And here you go: http://www.teavana.ca/teaopia/teaopia_faq.htm

I used 1.25 tablespoons for 275 ml of water.

The longer infusion time does not produce any bitterness. I would chance infusing this tea for a longer period of time to see if the flavour profile can be enhaced further.

Getting to the last of my bag of this.

I think I’ve picked some kind of bug, I’m all inflamed and uncomfortable in the tummy. Ugh.

So a tasty beautiful tea it is. I’m on to my third steep and I think that’s it for this cup. This one is smooth and beautiful.

ashmanra

I hope you feel better quickly!