Gold Rush (organic)

Caramel, Coconut, Alcohol, Sweet, Cream
Low
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Anlina

• “I was in DAVIDsTEA today and bought myself the little gong fu teapot and some clear double walled tea cups for my birthday tomorrow. And the new mate teas. I told the girl working that it was a...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 812 tasting notes
  • “An oh so drool-inducing sipdown. It's a coconut caramel cloud. This is a sad moment here! I'd buy more but it's quite expensive so maybe I'll reward myself later, like when I finish the semester or...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 814 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! (197) I picked up 10 g of this which does not go very far and so I was saving it for when I needed it most. Today my tea experiences have been less than stellar and so when I brewed up...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1938 tasting notes
  • “Took advantage of the fact the tin of this was out (I was packaging some for Cavo) to brew myself up a mug of it! I haven't had it in a while, so I thought "why not?". This is a more expensive one...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1991 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Hit the jackpot

Mulberries are a pretty precious fruit, so you don’t find them in tea very often. After all, mulberry trees are usually reserved for silk making, as they’re the only thing silkworms will eat. No wonder – they’re naturally sweet and rich, with an almost caramel-like flavour. In a word, decadent. Here we pair golden mulberries with creamy coconut and delicate white tea, for a tea that is guaranteed to give you gold fever. Eureeka! (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: mulberries, coconut, white Silver Needle tea. With natural and organic flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Backlogging again:

So I must say that this tea was initially a big disappointment. After spending a while stalking my local Davids in an attempt to get it (They had sold out of their initial shipment in a matter of hours, apparently), I gave in and placed an online order, which I try to refrain from, being as it proves always to be a slippery slope for me. I continue to add things left and right, and before I know it, I’m at the point where I may as well just make a run for the free shipping. This inevitably happened. So sure I would like it, and not wanting to have to bother re-ordering if it proved to be something I couldn’t live without and went through quickly I jumped in for a larger quantity.

My first impression was how little, quantity-wise, there seemed to be of it. David’s divides the order up into 50g bags, and I couldn’t believe how empty they all seemed. In placing one in the provided tin, it barely covered the bottom. The second disappointment seemed to be the lack of tea in the blend. Huge, imposing mulberries, sure, but not much tea to be found. I had even more trouble trying to balance my measurements, digging around the dismal offering for more leaves.

It has the smell and taste of some sort of liqueur to me. I think a mix between Bailey’s and Kahlua. I wouldn’t call it off-putting, just…different.

I was very disappointed, overall, at first. I think my high expectations, coupled with the long wait may have had something to do with that. However, on subsequent cups, I liked it well enough, but definitely wouldn’t be something I’d be clamoring for. It is always nice to have a low-caffeine blend for late evenings, but I think I would have been just as happy with one cup of it, especially for the price.

All in all, I wouldn’t reorder.

I still have some of this left, so I brewed a pot of it today with the addition of more silver needle white tea. I drank it after it cooled down and mostly tasted the sweetness of the mulberries and then the added base tea, with an interesting creaminess at the end. Nice and refreshing for a warm day!

This tea smells, in a word, perfect. The mulberries provide a rich, caramel-like scent while the coconuts remind me of pina coladas and tropical vacations. The combination is overwhelming.

Once steeped, the first thing I do is pick out the decadent mulberries. I wish I had something to accurately compare them to. They are easily the yummiest berries I’ve ever eaten, especially when infused with white tea and coconut. They are juicy and bursting with sweetness. Taking a look at the actual tea, it steeps to a beautiful yellow-orange. The scent dwindles down to a warm creme caramel-like fragrance.

At first sip, the tea is very light and coconut dominates the taste. The mulberries add the perfect hint of sugar and come in strong at the end with a honey, caramel, dessert-like sweetness. I really like that these flavours are layered over top of the light white silver needle base. I just so happen to be drinking this tea with my younger brother, who is very new to teas and finds them kind of “plain”. So let’s add some brown sugar. In my opinion, it’s a bit unnecessary. The tea is plenty sweet on its own and adding sugar just makes it sweeter without really enhancing any of the flavours… And even my brother agrees that the sugar isn’t a good addition!

Just a note, this tea is just as wonderful chilled as it is warm. Actually, probably more wonderful!

This tea is one of my favourites! If you love rich, sweet teas, this is it. With this tea, you not only get a flavourful drink, but a little snack as well. Believe me, mulberries will change your life… Looks like I’ll be ordering a tin of this stuff!

Around and round the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel…

So I picked this tea up the other day as a spur of the moment kind of thing, I originally had gone to DT to purchase some refills of my favorite blends and when I walked in the door the daunting tea wall took hold of me as usual and I some how came to the conclusion I did not have enough white tea’s in my collection, so naturally I added some more.

Dry this tea has a very sweet smell to it, I am assuming that is because it is just loaded with mulberries. Someone commented here on the cost of the tea compared to how much white tea it has in it, while it is true there is smaller amount of tea leaves in this blend the price is probably a factor of mulberries being a precious fruit, they command a pretty good price for what they are.

The brew is a light golden yellow color that has a sweet but soft caramel aroma to it, the aroma lets you know you are in for a good cup of tea with this one. It has a sweet creamy taste to it that does have a hint of caramel to it, but there is something more as well, not sure if it is from the coconut, the tea leaves or the mulberries.

I would certainly drink this tea again and I will, but I don’t see it becoming a regularly consumed tea for me, it’s a little too sweet and is more suited to certain time’s.

I can’t get enough of this when it’s around.

It’s sweet, creamy and somehow NOT completely overpowering. It has a subtle smell and leaves your mouth feeling clean (somewhat more like a citrus tea).

I take mine with milk and honey. <3

Tried it last night and really enjoyed it. A comment I have seen making the rounds suggests steeping at 94C for 10 to 20 minutes. I accidentally did this and found it really brought out the flavors. This is likely due to the minimal amount if tea leaves in the blend. Unlike other whites this is a very dense tea meaning the cost per cup is fairly high. Even with that in mind I am planning to purchase more.

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more

I picked up one of the 25g packs last time I was at Davids. In it, there really weren’t a lot of tea leaves, but there were generous amounts of coconut shavings and quite a few whole berries.

It brews up to a nice golden-yellow and makes an excellent dessert tea. The coconut is super creamy, and with the mulberries combines, there’s an almost caramel-berry flavor.

I wouldn’t keep this in stock always – I’d probably get tired of the sweetness and it’s a little bit expensive given the ratio of tea leaves/coconut shavings- but as an every once in a while treat.

I like to wear suntan lotion and not drink it.

This tea just was not good. So many great reviews and the guy at Davids tea said it was his fave so I tried it…..soooo disappointed. WAAY more caramely then I thought it would be and just lacked anything memorable…besides tasting like I got coppertone in my mouth. I am very glad I didnt buy much(a cup).

whatshesaid

Aw that’s too bad, I really enjoyed my cup

Froogle_jimmy

I just do not think I am a desert tea or super sweet tea guy. I think maybe it was just built up so much by all the rave reviews. But it seems like it is very much a tea you either love or hate now that I look at all the reviews.

This is a lovely tea. I had it to-go today from David’s and the woman who served it to me recommended leaving it to steep as long as possible so I’ve just left the bag in. The flavours have blossomed over the last 15 minutes. It’s light like any white tea, with a creaminess from the coconut that blends with the mulberries perfectly. It’s actually very similar to my memory of Cookie Dough, which might just be the white tea talking, but they’re both light and creamy and just lovely to sit and sip. Yum.

I am disappointed with this one because the description of this tea doesn’t mention that it has a very strong caramel flavour. It almost tastes like dessert and it’s not fruity at all. It wasn’t what I was expecting but if you like caramel it’s like liquid candy.