Gold Rush (organic)

Fruit White Blend
Coconut, Caramel, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I was in DAVIDsTEA today and bought myself the little gong fu teapot and some clear double walled tea cups for my birthday tomorrow. And the new mate teas. I told the girl working that it was a...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 767 tasting notes
  • “An oh so drool-inducing sipdown. It's a coconut caramel cloud. This is a sad moment here! I'd buy more but it's quite expensive so maybe I'll reward myself later, like when I finish the semester or...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! (197) I picked up 10 g of this which does not go very far and so I was saving it for when I needed it most. Today my tea experiences have been less than stellar and so when I brewed up...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1348 tasting notes
  • “Took advantage of the fact the tin of this was out (I was packaging some for Cavo) to brew myself up a mug of it! I haven't had it in a while, so I thought "why not?". This is a more expensive one...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1179 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Hit the jackpot

Mulberries are a pretty precious fruit, so you don’t find them in tea very often. After all, mulberry trees are usually reserved for silk making, as they’re the only thing silkworms will eat. No wonder – they’re naturally sweet and rich, with an almost caramel-like flavour. In a word, decadent. Here we pair golden mulberries with creamy coconut and delicate white tea, for a tea that is guaranteed to give you gold fever. Eureeka! (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: mulberries, coconut, white Silver Needle tea. With natural and organic flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I really enjoyed a cup of this yesterday, and attempted to do a second infusion of it, which I them put in my thermos and took to work. A few hours later I went to drink it, and a thick, syrupy liquid poured out instead of a nice, light tea. I guess the mulberries were breaking down a bit too much during the 2nd steep.

The first cup tastes great, but additional steeps not so good.

This tea smells very good!!

But the taste…is not as impressive as I originally thought. I can’t taste the coconut. The mulberries totally covered the flavor of the white tea. Maybe I need to steep it longer. The second steep lost the flavor totally.

What I will try is to increase the tea amount from 1.5 tsp to 2.5 next time. Hoping it will give it more flavor.

UPDATE: Thanks tigress_al! I just let tea sit in the pot. Didn’t bother to take it out this time. The coconut flavor came out quite strong, along with the white tea. 2.5tsp with 15+ steep time.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more
tigress_al

Yep, you really have to steep this forever. Try like 10 minutes or 12 even

Agree with those advising to steep this for 10 minutes. At shorter times it seemed thin on flavour but the magical 10 mins produced a rich, coconutty, creamy cup. It combines my favourite bits of White Tiger with Secret Weapon. That said, I’m sad that even 100g doesn’t seem to fill a tin, though!

8 min or more

So I stopped by my favourite Paré store at lunch today (the staff there is always amazing!), and had them brew me a cup of this wonderful tea.

First whiff was very light (so was the brew in colour, light white golden). There is a smooth, soft, creamy scent, that gently grazes your olfactory senses, and not far off from its taste. A few sips of this gentle indulgent tea and the feeling of familiarity starts to swarm.

I added a pump of agave to heighten the flavours, and as I sipped on this golden water for the early part of the afternoon, that familiarity hit me – Werther’s Original Caramels. I haven’t had those sweet treats since in years (read: eons)!! And now the taste was coming back to me.

This tea is definitely no where as sweet as those sugar laden treats, in fact it’s not sweet at all (unless you add some agave) but it does carry the same smooth, soft, creamy essence. Those are the best three words that can be used to describe it.

This is a great tea for when that afternoon sweet tooth kicks in. Or after dinner when you are avoiding desserts. It stirs in you such a wonderful feeling of cozy comfort. yum.

Baileys Irish Cream. That was the first thing that came to mind upon my first delectable whiff of this tea. And for the record I adore me a good Bailey’s. I got this as a sample and something that surprised me was just how little TEA was in my sample. I have not purchased this in a regular amount so I don’t know if it is normal for this tea to have such little quantity of actual tea in it but tea leaves were very scarce.

I first steeped for about 6 minutes in water that was 205 as recommended on the instructions. I do try to follow the instructions the first time I ever make a tea I’ve never had before then I adjust if I need to. This time I needed to. The steep of 6 minutes was not long enough. I was a bit surprised at this because I am quite generous with the amount of tea I use. I like flavor so I will usually put a bit more then the recommended amount. In this case I used almost 3 teaspoons for my 16 oz mug. It was still too weak for my liking so I put it back to steep a few more minutes. Probably 10 minutes before I filled my mug.

My first sip of this was a combination of loving the caramel-like aroma wafting from my mug but expecting more in terms of flavor. It was still not quite right for me. Not as much oomph as I expected and I had the idea maybe some sugar would help. I added a generous spoon of German rock sugar and stirred it until it dissolved which took a minute because the tea had now cooled down a touch. To be honest it cooled down too much with all the fussing around I had done. I sipped it and it was just.. ok. Not amazing, not WOW! but just ok. In fact I kind of regretted putting in the amount of sugar I did. At first it seemed right but as I drank my way down it became just too sweet.

I really wanted to love this and I thought for sure I would. I was almost positive with it’s delicious aroma that I would be over the moon for it but instead I was left just short of being fully satisfied. ;)

But I do think I will give this tea the benefit of the doubt. I think my sample was very lacking in terms of the content of actual tea in it so next time I go to Davids I will mention this and ask to see their blend of this tea. If it looks more generous with the tea leaves I will give it a whirl once again because I do think this tea has the potential to be one of my great teas and I have a funny feeling I’m right in my guess that this sample I received is not a genuine reflection of this tea.

That being said, I will hold off on giving this tea a numerical rating until I have a chance to try it again.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
aisling of tea

You’ve hit the nail on the head regarding a lot of Davids white blends, there is very little tea. I adore a great many of them, but yeah, especially this one is very light on the actual leaf. To the point that I wish they’d cut out the white and sell it as an herbal, because you can’t taste the tea anyway. Still, Davids is the love of my tea-life XD.

Dry, this smelled like the Moscato I have – light, fruity, oh so delicious. Steeped … it tasted like a pastry with no fruit, just dough. Very bready. Not bad but unexpected.

Anna

How weird this sounds.

This is a very unique and elegant tea in general. It does not have very typical flavors seen in most white teas. It has a kind of “tropical” vibe to it. The golden mulberries, the huge coconut pieces and the light tea body make it absolutely flawless, smooth and very clean.

As for the taste, it has a strong sweetness from the mulberries, however, it is balanced well by the beautiful and delicate white tea base. in addition to the sweetness from the mulberries, they also add a “mulberry flavor” haha. I’m not sure how to describe it an other way.

I tried this tea about a week ago and am just getting around to logging it now. I’ll apologize in advance to the tea if I can’t correctly remember everything I liked/disliked about it. It’s another tea I’ll have to try again soon to give it a proper review.

I received a sample of this in DAVIDs Sweet Indulgence pack and was actually intending on giving it away as the look of it kind of freaked me out.

Dry, I found this tea didn’t have much smell, and I can’t recall what, if any, smell it had when steeped. I could immediately taste coconut and something unfamiliar, but it was something nice. I later went on the DAVIDs website to find out it was mulberries, something I’ve never tried before.

I found this tea to have somewhat of a thickness to it when I drank it. This didn’t bother me, but it’s something I’d never experienced a tea to do. I did enjoy my first and second cup of this tea, but I don’t have any plans to repurchase. I will; however, steep another cup or two to give it another shot and another review.

When I’m in the mood for something subtle, I really like white teas. I used up the last of my 25g to make a cup today. I don’t really know how to describe this tea, I guess it is subtly caramel flavoured, but I don’t find that too prominent. It may be the weird ratio that I got from this being the bottom of the bag, but I’m finding it predominantly coconut today. It actually reminds me a lot of Coconut Grove, now that I’m thinking about it. Overall it’s quite light and refreshing!

When I opened the bag of this, I was shocked by a) how few tea leaves there are in it and b) how much it smells like a dessert.

I guess if I had read the logs on here more closely I would have already known about the “mostly fruit and coconut, not a lot of tea” thing. I added it to my cart on a lark at the last minute because I’m a sucker for any tea described as creamy.

Luckily I read the logs on here before preparing my first cup, so I decided to take the popular advice and go for a fairly long steep time — 7 minutes to start. Brewed, it has that same creamy, desserty smell. There’s a bit of an oily sheen from the coconut flakes.

Anyway, this is tasty but I can’t even really taste the white tea. It just tastes like a caramelly, fruity, herbal. Like others have said, it could probably stand to steep for even 10 minutes or so to get a more robust flavor.