Strawberry Ginger

Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Brewed this one up again today, mostly because it found its way to work somehow, and seemed appealing at the time! So why not. I seem to recall having hibiscus issues in the past, so kept the...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes
  • “I got a cute little sample packet of this from *Kittenna*. I love how DAVIDs packages their samples, they're adorable and perfect for taking around in your purse or bag. I brought this one up with...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “Heyyyy, do you remember me!? I took a break but now I'm back!! Happy new year! I gave this a good long steep tonight and added some agave. I think this is the perfect way to brew this tea hot....” Read full tasting note
    MilkPocky 145 tasting notes
  • “So I got a cup of this to go when stopping in to pick up some of the new teas. I feel a bit like death warmed over, so I thought a cup of this might perk me up. Um, well...it didn't. It smells...” Read full tasting note
    ladykittykat 1220 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Spice it up
We’ve all tasted strawberries with cream or chocolate, but have you ever tried them with ginger? It’s surprisingly balanced – sweet, luscious berries are the perfect match for ginger’s zesty heat. Here, we took this winning combination and amped it up even more with tart hibiscus, rosehips and lemon myrtle, plus fruity apples and blackberries. It’s a fresh new way to enjoy your favourite fruit. Caffeine-free.

Ingredients: Apple, rosehips, hibiscus, strawberries, lemon myrtle, sweet blackberry, ginger, blue mallow blossoms, marigold blossoms.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Backlogging from yesterday. This came as a free sample when I placed my last order.

I really don’t like it. It’s beautiful to look at – all different colors and shapes and textures. But when it’s brewed, it smells odd. I get the spice from the ginger, but that’s not the whole of it, and it made me a bit sick trying to figure out what it was. I tasted the ginger, but I didn’t taste the strawberry. It tasted fruity and spicy, which are two things, in my opinion, that don’t mix well together. I’m glad it was only a sample, and I didn’t spend money on it.

I was upsold on this tea – dammit! I wasn’t planning on getting this one – I was actually going to pass as I thought “ehhh.. weird combination, and ginger sounds too funky” despite myself being a ginger lover.

But the smell of the tea leaves at the store + the salesgal sold me.

Smell (dry leaves) – fruity with that weird ginger skin smell (very slight). Overall, interestingly appealing.

Steeped – hmm.. Gogi Pop? Very fruity and sweet.. mmm.. very sweet smell. Steeps a pretty light pink.

Taste – fruity – the apple and berries come out, not tart at first. the blackberry really adds a different dimension of fruity that’s quite nice. Of course, the ginger comes out at the end as a little zing and aftertaste and then some tart hits the throat. Not sweet like Gogi pop though. This team is nicely refreshing hot. Might be that theory on stuff with a little zing cools the body? I dunno.

After half the cup.. I’m reminded of strawberry/raspberry ginger ale but without the sweetness. Yes.. that is the best way to describe this tea! Geeze DAVIDsTea.. you could advertise it like that and might scare people off less. The ginger taste is more real ginger, like those good expensive glass bottle local ginger ales vs. fakey stuff.

Overall – this would be nice iced with a bit of sweetner to be an interesting cool drink. Oooh.. or maybe good mixed with some club soda and fake that strawberry ginger ale.

I’m oddly intrigued by this tea. It’s a caffeine free tea (herbal) that doesn’t have Chamomile or Rooibos. That wins points as I’m not a rooibos person and I’m picky about chamomile (and tired of it).

I’m gonna try it with sweetner and iced, see if it adds to it. Maybe play with steeping time to see if the ginger would come out more, and reduce tart with a shorter time.
I really miss Fruity gingerales as I haven’t found them in diet yet.. and hey, this tea has no calories and tastes like ginger ale! But overall, I almost wish it was more sweet, like Gogi Pop’s melony sweet bits. Who’d I recomend too? Well.. before the gingerale connection, I would of said for the brave peeps, especially if you like ginger. Now, with the gingerale connection – hey, if you like that strawberry/raspberry gingerale, give it a shot.

I’m having this one today again after not having it for a long while. I’ve reorganized my tea collection and moved it under the microwave on the microwave stand. While doing this, I decided it was time see what was nearly gone and condense things. I’ve got a bunch of small tins that I bought from Teaopia before they closed (they hold about 20-25g) and I moved all teas with small amounts into these tins. They are going to be the ones that I try to drink up first.

Anyway, onto the tea. I thought I’d have this one again as I can’t for the life of me remember what it tasted like. It is so perfect for tonight. I’ve been sick and I think I’m finally just about done the cold. So, this one was great ‘cause I could actually taste it really well! The strawberry is smooth and the ginger is a nice little zing! When I worked for the chocolate company, we had ginger chocolates and they were awful. I couldn’t stand them, and to see me liking this one is so funny. The ginger isn’t too strong, but gives the tea just a little something extra. I like the combination and how it seems to all flow so well.

I would definitely get this one again, but I will wait until I have more space in my tea area. I want to get the collection under a bit more control before I buy anymore. haha

Tina S.

I got a lot of those tiny tins too and do the same thing. Sipdowns and when I want to try a new flavour at Davids, that’s what I use them for :D

And oooh, I never thought of this one for when I’m feeling ill. I’ll have to try it next time since I’m sick of all things lemongrass.

TheKesser

Any idea if Davids would refill these tins? (I wouldn’t expect a discount or anything) ‘Cause then I could just get them to put some in it and off I’d go!

I never thought of Lemongrass when I’m not well either! I have a TON of Three Lemon Green and I’ve never once thought about drinking it while sick. I think I’ll try that!

Tina S.

They will fill any tin you bring in at Davids. If it doesn’t hold 50 or more there isn’t a discount but I just like saving the environment a little. The stickers don’t fit well though, so you have to get creative with them. :)

Lemongrass is a good one, I actually prefer it to the mint ones that are designed for illness. Its more soothing on my throat.

Was not a huge fan of this tea. Tasted bitter. Followed the steeping directions perfectly, and tried it iced. It is TERRIBLE iced, for my palat anyways. I am quite pleased with the spring collection just not this one.

This is a new fave and now a staple for my tea cupboard..this tea blows my mind with how good it is…

I must formally apologize to ginger for the bad rap I have been giving it over the years.

Every time I sip I mention an expletive followed by awe struck adulation..

yummmmmm.

This didn’t work for me at all. It’s certainly interesting- I like interesting mixes. But this one…. The aromas don’t mingle well, to my nose. I taste bitterness but smell sweetness. Perhaps strawberry and ginger are too odd a pairing for me.

Today I’m trying Strawberry Ginger. I use a larger cup (12oz instead of 8) so I also use a bit more tea than recommended. (2 1/4 tsp instead of 1 1/2 tsp)
I made the tea twice, the 1st time I added no sweetener. I found it tart and rather understated. It smelled good, like a sun-warmed field of strawberries, but I didn’t find that the flavour delivered on that promise.
I then tried it with 2tsp of splenda. I thought it was marginally better… the tartness was gone, but I still found it lacking – I couldn’t discern a gingery flavour to this tea at all, sweetened or not, and I’m one of those individuals who LOVES ginger.
All in all, it’s not a nasty tea, I’d certainly drink it, but it wasn’t good enough that I’d spend the $ to buy it again.

Not bad, considering I don’t like ginger all that much. However, something falls flat. Also, STOP PUTTING HIBISCUS IN TEA. Augh it’s gross.

Oh Strawberry Ginger…such an appealing, alluring, enticing name. Sadly, utterly disappointed by this tea. I’m so sorry David’s Tea – I have loved all your beautiful tea concoctions thus far, but I have met a pitiful exception.

For me this, tea was undrinkable. I tried, I really did, I promise. After the first several sips, I thought, maybe I could salvage the buy and make a nice salad dressing with some red wine vinegar, but i barely made it halfway through my tumbler.

There is a very distinct scent when it is brewed that is not so strong when dry. I was initially drawn to the tea because the tea-barista said that it had a stronger ginger infusion than any of the other flavours, and I LOVE ginger. However, what I tasted in this brewed disaster resembled nothing remotely close to ginger. I don’t know how to say this nicely or without coming across as a tea-snob…it tasted like fruity scented cleaning disinfectant. :o(

Maybe it was the batch I got, not sure. (I brewed a small sample and took it to the store to ask if it was normal, and they seemed to think so). Maybe it is the artificial flavouring that is incompatible with my chemical sensitive palate. (The scent really had an adverse affect on me physically, gave me a headache and made me nauseated.)

This tea is not for me. Based on the other reviews, it may be for you. I would go into a store on a day when it is TOTD and give it a try and decide for yourself.

I initially gave this tea a zero rating, but upped it because I think this tea was well intentioned. It is a great concept, but meh execution. Also, I was able to exchange my tin for something more palatable. Thank you DT!

I would be interested in a natural version in this tea, if they make one. Until then, I will give DT’s White Strawberry a try and infuse it with some fresh ginger, to satisfy my curiosity.

I love this when I have a cold/cough – it’s got the ginger in it to make it chug-worthy when you’re sick, but also the really nice flavour to give it a little pep in it’s step