Chocolate Cake

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “So I went into the store today hoping that Chocolate Cake would be on sample... but twas not to be! bah! the trauma :/ Nevermind, when I got to talking with the lovely DT Staff (who I won't call...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1307 tasting notes
  • “Another work tea; I needed to amp up my stash so threw a (not entirely) random bunch of teas in my backpack last night. Yay! Sadly, although this smells delicious as usual, I am getting a major...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2245 tasting notes
  • “This is funny Indigobloom ... I like this one! HAHA a bit of an inside joke but not really - it seems so far I have not liked anything too much that she has sent me other than one that came in...” Read full tasting note
    azzrian 807 tasting notes
  • “So there's a reason I haven't had this one in forever. It's one of those where I had it once, wrote this average tasting note on it, and then tried it again, hated it, and didn't say a thing. So...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1199 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

It’s a slice

There’s not much you can count on in this topsy-turvy world, but one thing we’re sure of is chocolate cake. No matter who you are, a big slice of cake is pretty much guaranteed to make you happy. We call it the Sweet Life Theory: life just isn’t as sweet without chocolate. And this cocoa and cake-scented tea is just as rich and chocolaty as the real thing. With this in your cupboard, a smile is always within arm’s reach. No baking or shopping required.

Ingredients: Black tea, candy sprinkles, roasted carob, white chocolate, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, stevia

About DAVIDsTEA View company

When I first had this tea, I think I steeped it too long and got too much carob in the scoop, because it was SUPER strong and slightly bitter. The second time around I steeped it for less time and added half a scoop of orange pekoe to even out the carob-ness.

Much better. :)

I was most excited for this cake tea when the “cake collection” was announced. This one ended up being my second favorite to Ice Cream Cake.

The first time I tried this tea I didn’t like it (totally killed my mood for the rest of the day since I had been looking forward to it for so long).
Finally (ok, more like 10 days later) I gave it another try….and still didn’t like it, I don’t like adding cream to my teas because that blocks some of its health benefits, and i couldn’t find a sweetener thats taste really complimented it, well some did but it didn’t taste like cake and I wanted cake darn it!
Then I got an idea from my Teaopia fireside s’mores tea and (I bet you can get where I’m going with this) threw two mini (and very stale) marshmallows in with my tea leaves and voila! I had cake.
Now I love it, not enough to stock up with it before the end of spring like I will with the birthday cake tea, but enough that I look forward to drinking it.

On a separate note that has nothing to do with the taste the brown ‘chocolate like’ slime that’s left on the mug is icky looking, the slime left in my tea strainer is icky, and annoying (insert words not appropriate for this venue. lots and lots of those words) to clean, I basically had to put it in a pot of boiling water, now I just put the leaves straight in the cup (I didn’t drink the liquid at the very bottom anyway because as mentioned previously it reminded me way too much of sludge. I have never had that much of a problem with my strainer and other chocolate teas.

TTBC2 #2

I decided to start my day with some flavored black tea from the Traveling Box organized by Dr Jim. I picked this one.

There was barely a teaspoon left of it, and it was the very bottom leaf pieces of the bag, so bear that in mind when you read the rest of my review. I steeped it and got a greasy-spotted, muddy infusion. Oh well, I’ve seen it before, doesn’t necessarily mean the tea will be disgusting (right?…).

Unfortunately, it was. Nasty. No detectable base whatsoever. The “chocolate flavor” just tasted like water in a neglected pond must taste – sweet with dying and breeding of micro-life. Well, okay, maybe it was not THAT bad. But I couldn’t finish the cup. There was just not much more to it than wrongness and the kind of sweetness that would put you off candy and sweets for at least a week.

I think it could be because I had the very last of the bag and underleafed it (although I tried to pour less water over it than usually, to compensate) so I don’t feel quite right rating this. Perhaps in the future I will be able to try it in a more proper way, although I am not looking forward to it at the moment ;D

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

I go this from Travelling Tea Box C. Being a chocolate lover and a tea lover, I had to try it. The package was nearly empty when I took it from the traveling box, so I think others must have been tempted too. (I did leave one last portion for the next recipient.)
I liked the tea, but recently I had some other dessert teas that really blew me away. This one didn’t quite rank up there. The chocolate didn’t take me over in the way I thought it was. I enjoyed it okay and it was a nice to tea to have on Christmas morning.

Hmmm weird tea. Smells awesome, but the taste isn’t there. I don’t find the chocolate cake taste at all. For a similar tea, but way better, I would suggest Red velvet cake, also from David’s.

Out of all the cake teas I’ve had so far from Davidstea, this one is probably the weakest (truthfully, I have not tried Ice Cream cake because it smelled like nothing special). Without adding sugar and milk, this stuff tastes… like blah. Even when I did steep it correctly at the right temperature! All I tasted was black tea, and a subtle chocolate taste. It wasn’t very sweet at all, and I didn’t like how the sprinkles kind of made a residual oily thing in my steeper. Anyways, I have not tried this cold or with milk so I will review it with that when I get the chance. Right now, it’s just boring.

I was really excited for this tea. I love cake teas! I find they are the prefect way to satisfy my craving with less calories! I don’t know, this one just fell short for me. It wasn’t… awful? I didn’t fully enjoy it. Liked it much better mixed with Coffee Pu-Erh.