Birthday Cake

Honeybush Rooibos Blend
Green Rooibos, Honeybush, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Red Rooibos, Sprinkles
Caramel, Maple, Rooibos, Vanilla, Maple Syrup, Sweet, Cake, Brown Sugar, Cookie, Frosting, Pancake Syrup, Sugar, Sugarcane, Candy, Cheesecake, Cream, Honey, Smooth, Almond, Coffee, Anise, Butter, Butterscotch, Creamy, Cinnamon
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From DAVIDsTEA

Party like it’s your birthday

What’s the best thing about birthdays? It could be the presents, or spending time with loved ones, but let’s be honest. It’s all about the cake. With vanilla icing, and lots of sprinkles. And this sweet and festive rooibos blend brings the taste of birthday cake to your cup any day of the year – sprinkles and all. Best of all, not only is it low in calories, it also has all the goodness of rooibos. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

Ingredients: Red and green rooibos, honeybush, freeze-dried ice cream bits, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavoring*.

Allergens: Soy, dairy and eggs

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I have fallen in love with this tea all over again… as a latte! I’m amazed at how good this is as a latte. I love adding a bit of agave to it, even though it doesn’t really need it, but I find that I love sweet lattes.

Anyways, highly recommend. So yummy

Fjellrev

Oh yeah, so good!

So I tried this for the first time today, and I have mixed feelings about it. I think mostly they’re due to the service I got from David’s, so I don’t want to give the tea itself a bad rating due to bad service because it IS a really nice snack tea, but hopefully the next time I try some it’ll be better because I’m always a rooibos fan.

I went to the DT by my campus after class and picked up a specialty tin of The Skinny and a cup of Birthday Cake to go. I had a bit of a wait before I got my tea (and the employees kept leaving while I was getting everything and paying), but after I got my cup to go and had waited a bit for it to cool down I tried a sip and there was loose rooibos everywhere. So I opened the lid and sure enough, the tea bag had either ripped or not been sealed properly and it was everywhere. I decided to wait to try it until I got home and pour it into one of my mugs with a filter, since it was only a short subway ride, but I was really disappointed with the service.

The tea itself, as I said, makes for an excellent snack tea. It’s very sugary sweet (I had mine with a little bit of agave as well) and the flavouring in the tea comes out more than the rooibos/honeybush. I’m tending to side eye the prevelance of artificial flavours that David’s is relying on for their newer blenders these days, so I don’t think this’ll be something I’ll have too often, but it tastes like it sounds and is definitely a cake tea.

8 min or more

Here’s a secret that I try to hide from other tea lovers: I don’t really like rooibos teas, sometimes their smells will trick me into buying them (see: calming wellness tea from Teaopia that I ended up giving to my mother, and Orange Truffle from Teaopia, which I do enjoy drinking, but only when I’m sick) but at the end of the day they just aren’t my thing.
When I went to DT today (making a Happy Easter even happier) I had a list of their spiring teas I planned to stock up on, and this was not on my list. Actually it was on my “don’t accidentally purchase it because it says cake” list, and yes that was a category on my list. But then I smelled it. And saw the colourful sprinkles. And heard the girls in the shop talk about how amazing it is. And caved.
Which I am so glad I did. To me it smells like a coffee cake (never a bad thing), and tastes like those cakes that used to be at every birthday party you’d go to in elementary school (Never Ever a bad thing). I have celiac so not only is this a great tea in its own right but it also lets me enjoy the old tastes of my childhood.

• as an important side note to other celiacs, If you are really strict about your diet I don’t know if the sprinkles Davids uses are gluten free, I took the chance because I know a lot made in North America are now, and I’m not as strict as I should be, but you may want to look into it.
200 °F / 93 °C

I’m not a huge roobios fan, but i figured since its tea that smelled exactly like a cake I had to try it. Surprisingly it’s not overpoweringly sweet and it’s amazing. I think I should reconsider roobios teas because of this one. I’ll definitely pick up 100g of it when I run out.

so yummy!! and so cute to look at :)

Backlog:

Thank you so much Evol! I kept on staring at this for months going “Do I want this herbal? It smells so good…never mind I’m having some chamomile…Well, I should finally try this-oh, look, I need to finish of my green rooibos!…I’m going to get some-crap! High bloodsugar. This might not be a good idea-but the sugar is only in the sprinkles! But flavored tea on a high bloodsugar makes my stomach cramp…”

And finally, I needed an herbal last night. There are only few hours before my last semester begins at Michigan State. Despite technically going back for my student teaching the following year, that will be more like “work”. This will be the year that I will graduate. It’s like being at the last two chapters of a book. Luckily, there will be a few months before the release of the sequel. Unfortunately, this book is about to end and there will be time before the next installment. Let’s hope that character development is more interesting, and that there are less characters written off. Thus the sheer existential stress said that going without caffiene was the better option…never mind I drank a Dan Cong three hours before at 8:00 PM.

The tea was pretty lovely for comfort. More like pancakes and maple syrup than pure cakes, the red rooibos worked pretty well. Then again, I’ve had a vanilla rooibos with rock sugar one time and it tasted like a vanilla flavored and creamed coffee. Red rooibos, you are so elusively woody yet desserty at the same time. I got three solid cups, the thirds lighter. I am going to check it again this morning to see if I can brew one more cup. To think I was watching The Crown on Netflix when I drank this.

Evol Ving Ness

Awesome! Glad you liked it. So you did find the remainder—yay! When I was picking up some of the ones I thought you might like or ones that I thought you needed to try just because, the DTs person helping me asked why I was getting so many in such small amounts, so I told her I had a tea friend across the border who didn’t have a DTs store handy. She loved that. It made her day.

I find rooibos loses the woodiness if you steep it at a lower temperature, like oolong or green for example. Sometimes when I lose my rhythm with this one after the first cup, I just pour water into the leaf and cold steep for the next day. This one also makes a great latte, if you are into that sort of thing.

I don’t always drink this one, but it is nice to have on occasions you crave it.

Daylon R Thomas

I did go through most of the oolongs. The coconut was my favorite of them. :) Monks blend was also interesting (I think you commented on that one). I kept them at home for my home stash and for the winter. I’m taking them all back to school with me to write the rest of the notes out. Luckily, I kept the bags as my little list to see what I have and have not written. :)

I drink tea lattes sometimes, not often. I like do them myself unless I really like the barista if I’m buying it from a cafe. I do like the instant chai packets from India because they usually have the right milk-tea-spice ratio. And they were usually around 80 calories. I like to steam the milk or creamer for I add the tea. Red rooibos makes some really great tea lattes, though I rarely drink them ’cause health nut lol.

Evol Ving Ness

Yeah, the coconut one is a winner. I look forward to the rest of your notes whenever you get around to it. There are some good ones left when you discover them.

Lattes are currently out for me as I am not drinking milk as per naturopath. Kinda miss it. Not familiar with the instant chai.

Evol Ving Ness

Don’t normally do instant anything. I’ve got my own snob tendencies.

Daylon R Thomas

Instants are hit or misses. I do NOT like instant coffees, but the tea packets I buy from local oriental stores are pretty good.

Evol Ving Ness

Go to know. Any brand names I should look out for?

Daylon R Thomas

Quick Tea was the name that of the chai’s I was talking about. Some people on amazon liked this one and other people really didn’t because it tasted fake to them. For me, it did not taste nearly as fake as the other instant tea mixes I’ve had like the Tazo or the David Rio mixes. Either Gino was the other instant brand that I liked offering jasmine and lavender(black tea) with cream. Probably would go against the not dairy thing though.

I’m enjoying my break from work. The family and I drove up into the mountains yesterday and I came loaded with a good amount of tea. As I type this, the sun is shining, there’s a thick layer of sparkling white snow outside and I feel the contentment of not having a place I need to be or something I need to do. Enjoying and reviewing tea reminds me of the importance of the moment. Savouring life like I do tea is a practice that I return to daily.

This is an enjoyable rooibos for afternoon or evenings. There’s a nice sweetness to it that’s not too overpowering. It has a prominent maple and caramel flavour that stands out for me, not a lot of vanilla or creamy notes that I tasted though. There’s a bit of an aftertaste to it that detracted a bit from my enjoyment. Overall, a pleasant tea.

Flavors: Caramel, Maple, Rooibos, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 6 min, 0 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 355 ML

So I made a latte with this, some toasted sesame seeds, and some of Teavana’s Tropical Nut Paradise that I’m trying to use up because I don’t like it all that much. It was AMAZING! Sweet, creamy, nutty, mapley goodness. Since this seems to blend well and make such an amazing latte, I’m bumping up the rating.

I can’t. I just can’t. I wanted to like it. It smells divine when I sniff the dry blend. But after steeping, all I really smell is an overpowering scent of maple syrup. Yes. There isn’t any in the ingredients, but I still smell it. In fact, the entire office smelled it. It also has a certainly oiliness to it when I drink it. No, just no.

Flavors: Maple Syrup, Sweet, Vanilla

Sometimes, like now, I crave this one. Yes, yes, it is not the most natural tasting tea in the world, but that thick vanilla thing held up on a barely detectable rooibos base is pretty stellar with milk or as a latte. A great tea when it late and it has been a hard day.

Absolutely fab for what it is. And the sprinkles make me happy.

Flavors: Cake, Vanilla

Plunkybug

I love making “Oh Canada” into an iced tea strength, and adding a spoonful of sweetened condensed milk before the ice. So yummy.

TeaNTees

Still have yet to try this one! Shocking, I know.

Evol Ving Ness

Oooh, Plunkybug, that sounds delicious!

apieceofquiche

I’m not a rooibos fan, but I really like this one cold-steeped in almond milk. It tastes like melted ice cream to me.