Birthday Cake

Honeybush Rooibos Blend
Cake, Cream, Honey, Smooth, Sweet, Almond, Rooibos, Vanilla, Coffee, Caramel, Anise, Butter, Butterscotch, Creamy, Cinnamon, Maple
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From DAVIDsTEA

Party like it’s your birthday

What’s the best thing about birthdays? It could be the presents, or spending time with loved ones, but let’s be honest. It’s all about the cake. With vanilla icing, and lots of sprinkles. And this sweet and festive rooibos blend brings the taste of birthday cake to your cup any day of the year – sprinkles and all. Best of all, not only is it low in calories, it also has all the goodness of rooibos. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

Ingredients: Red and green rooibos, honeybush, freeze-dried ice cream bits, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavoring*.

Allergens: Soy, dairy and eggs

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Delicious!!
I finally tried this one even though I bought this a while ago. I ordered 100g of this on the good faith that I would love it, like I love cake.
I was not disappointed. The rooibos is the perfect match for this tea. It is a sweet and almost creamy tea. It has a pretty strong vanilla flavour, or almost like a maple flavour. I can see this being a vanilla cake/icing mix. It definitely would curb any cravings that I have. I think I will have to keep a little of this one on hand for those days that all I want is a sweet treat.

So I tried this for the first time today, and I have mixed feelings about it. I think mostly they’re due to the service I got from David’s, so I don’t want to give the tea itself a bad rating due to bad service because it IS a really nice snack tea, but hopefully the next time I try some it’ll be better because I’m always a rooibos fan.

I went to the DT by my campus after class and picked up a specialty tin of The Skinny and a cup of Birthday Cake to go. I had a bit of a wait before I got my tea (and the employees kept leaving while I was getting everything and paying), but after I got my cup to go and had waited a bit for it to cool down I tried a sip and there was loose rooibos everywhere. So I opened the lid and sure enough, the tea bag had either ripped or not been sealed properly and it was everywhere. I decided to wait to try it until I got home and pour it into one of my mugs with a filter, since it was only a short subway ride, but I was really disappointed with the service.

The tea itself, as I said, makes for an excellent snack tea. It’s very sugary sweet (I had mine with a little bit of agave as well) and the flavouring in the tea comes out more than the rooibos/honeybush. I’m tending to side eye the prevelance of artificial flavours that David’s is relying on for their newer blenders these days, so I don’t think this’ll be something I’ll have too often, but it tastes like it sounds and is definitely a cake tea.

8 min or more

Here’s a secret that I try to hide from other tea lovers: I don’t really like rooibos teas, sometimes their smells will trick me into buying them (see: calming wellness tea from Teaopia that I ended up giving to my mother, and Orange Truffle from Teaopia, which I do enjoy drinking, but only when I’m sick) but at the end of the day they just aren’t my thing.
When I went to DT today (making a Happy Easter even happier) I had a list of their spiring teas I planned to stock up on, and this was not on my list. Actually it was on my “don’t accidentally purchase it because it says cake” list, and yes that was a category on my list. But then I smelled it. And saw the colourful sprinkles. And heard the girls in the shop talk about how amazing it is. And caved.
Which I am so glad I did. To me it smells like a coffee cake (never a bad thing), and tastes like those cakes that used to be at every birthday party you’d go to in elementary school (Never Ever a bad thing). I have celiac so not only is this a great tea in its own right but it also lets me enjoy the old tastes of my childhood.

• as an important side note to other celiacs, If you are really strict about your diet I don’t know if the sprinkles Davids uses are gluten free, I took the chance because I know a lot made in North America are now, and I’m not as strict as I should be, but you may want to look into it.
200 °F / 93 °C

I’m not a huge roobios fan, but i figured since its tea that smelled exactly like a cake I had to try it. Surprisingly it’s not overpoweringly sweet and it’s amazing. I think I should reconsider roobios teas because of this one. I’ll definitely pick up 100g of it when I run out.

so yummy!! and so cute to look at :)

This was one of the first teas I bought while learning about DAVIDsTEA. I bought a 50g bag and came home to drink 3/4 of it before realizing that it is better as a tea latte. I forgot this while brewing my nightly pot this evening and just served it hot with milk and agave.

Birthday Cake is a sweet, dessert tea that is a calorie-friendly alternative to the mug of chocolate fudge brownie ice cream I planned on having ;)

This is a nice tea to have in my cupboard – a lot of people enjoy the smell, although I personally think it smells better than it tastes (even with sugar and milk).

Flavors: Cake, Cream, Honey, Smooth, Sweet

Boiling 8 min or more 1 tsp 32 OZ / 946 ML
Kristal

Whenever I go to the mall (which isn’t too often) I always get a birthday cake latté as a little treat :)

meakbot

Tea lattes are such a nice little pick-me-up! Every time I go to the mall I always spend $25 at DT and then don’t want to buy a $5 latte… I’m the worst.

Kristal

I totally hear you. Last time I was at the mall I spent around $60 on 14 different kinds of tea from there (only 10-26 grams of each tea though!) and thus I resisted the temptation to spend another $4.50 for a latté. Would have been nice though. Oh well.

Sooooo good. Really birthday cakey, this is the tea that made me actually enjoy rooibos.

Flavors: Almond, Rooibos, Vanilla

Oh, birthday cake. I initially gave you an 80 rating. I loved you as an occasional dessert tea until last night, when I left you to cool while I was folding laundry and came back to a gross white ring around the surface of my cup. I took a sip anyway, because you smelled so great, but I was hit with an oily/salty combination that was so, so gross. I woke up today, had another tea, and I STILL cannot get that disgusting taste out of my head. I think it may just be because I forgot and let my cup of tea cool completely, so the ice cream bits or something congealed… tea should not clump up like that on the sides. I want to hope it was just a soapy mug or something but I don’t think that was the case. It was nasty. I will be adventurous and finish my bag, but I will NOT let it cool as much and I won’t be buying a tin any time soon.

Well…not very good. I’m surprised at the high ratings. This is bland, flavorless, and boring. Birthday cake is NOT the right name. It’s just an essence, not the true thing. I will not be repurchasing this. Ever.

Flavors: Cake, Coffee, Rooibos, Vanilla

Boiling 8 min or more 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

It’s not even my birthday, but this tea makes it feel like it is. I found just enough for one steep left in an old bag from two years ago and drank this after dinner. I love the caramel taste!

Flavors: Caramel, Vanilla

Chris Coppens

You can make any day your birthday with birthday cake tea!