Birthday Cake

Honeybush Rooibos Blend
Maple, Vanilla, Butter, Cream, Rooibos, Caramel, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “Ok, so the tasting note for this is technically being posted AFTER my birthday has ended, but I did manage to squeak this cup in before the clock ticked midnight. Hooray! But yes, what better time...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1906 tasting notes
  • “This cooled quite a bit as I got distracted by Lupicia and other tea related things. Now I am sipping on this as I continue to watch Homeland. It is always a nice, pleasant cup. It is also one of...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1914 tasting notes
  • “Inspired by MissB, I made myself a giant mug of this. Topped with maple whipped cream, of course, since I have SO MUCH of it in my fridge. My apartment smells like candy, and the tea tastes so...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1456 tasting notes
  • “sipping this delicious little treat while catching up on paperwork and anticipating my birtday...which is Saturday...I'm not the kind of person to try to keep their birthday quiet. Anyway, such a...” Read full tasting note
    Jaxx2307 156 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Party like it’s your birthday

What’s the best thing about birthdays? It could be the presents, or spending time with loved ones, but let’s be honest. It’s all about the cake. With vanilla icing, and lots of sprinkles. And this sweet and festive rooibos blend brings the taste of birthday cake to your cup any day of the year – sprinkles and all. Best of all, not only is it low in calories, it also has all the goodness of rooibos. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

Ingredients: Red and green rooibos, honeybush, freeze-dried ice cream bits, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavoring*.

Allergens: Soy, dairy and eggs

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This tea is very similar to Oh Canada!, but sorry I like that one better! This one does not have that much flavor until you add sugar. It tastes a little to sweet and sugary for me, but is still a good dessert tea. I plan on finishing the bag I have at home, but will probably order a cup from the store before I repurchase more loose tea.

The wonderful Virginia sent this to me despite the fact that we both have an aversion to rooibos. I trust her so it was worth a try :-). I actually liked this a shocking amount considering it was rooibos. The birthday cake icing taste is spot on. The only thing that keeps this from being insanely good is the rooibos taste underneath. So woodsy :-/. It kind of tastes like someone ran out of flour while baking a birthday cake and made up the difference with sawdust.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Rooibos, Vanilla

2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Marzipan

That’s what I dislike about rooibos too. I wish I could get past the mulch taste.

albertocanfly

Yum! Cake and rooibos sounds like my cuppa! I couldn’t help but laugh at your description of the cake, though. I pictured some little, old grandma in the middle of the woods not wanting to hike all the way to the store and settling for sawdust instead:P

Cheri

This does sound like my cuppa as well. I enjoy a good dessert rooibos in the evening. I don’t have nearly enough of them. I also agree about the image of some gramma making a cake and after searching frantically for more flour just giving up and adding whatever she could find. giggle

Virginia

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG

That last sentence killed me. That’s a spot on description xD

mj

Haha that’s the only way I could think of to describe it. Now that albertocanfly brought it up, I’m completely picturing Little Red Riding Hood’s grandma making the sawdust cake.

This is the third tea I am trying from David’s Tea. And already a favorite!
It’s like a mix of vanilla and caramel. It’s definitely cake-y. I’m not the biggest fan of cake, but cake flavored teas will be the death of me, I tell you! I absolutely love this tea!
It’s similar to “Oh Canada!”, but not as sweet. Though, I might not have put enough tea in my steeper…But I still love it! Definitely going to buy more of it!
Thank you, Virginia, for this awesome sample! :D

Lariel of Lórien

It goes really well with Oh Canada, actually.

Ost

Oh, I’ll have to try that! Thanks! :D

A big ol thank you to VariaTEA for sending this tea my way!

Oh dessert teas. And it’s caffeine free as well! Ahh I love teas like this :)
This is dang good okay. It smells like a typical vanilla birthday cake dry, and the sweetness just carries over as it brews. The woodsy rooibos takes over a bit too much to my liking so the sweet birthday cake gets lost a bit, but it’s still totally fine.
But this is a lovely tea. Love love love all my rooibos at night :)

Boiling 8 min or more 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
VariaTEA

You should try coldbrewing this one if you haven’t already.

QueenOfTarts

This is one of my favorites! :)

Backlogging from last night. Wow, this is sweet! Has a very strong sugary/mapley smell. The taste is pretty close to the description: vanilla icing and sugar. Substituted this instead of some sorbet for dessert last night and it definitely quelled the sweet craving.

2 teaspoons and a little vanilla half and half.

I thought I read somewhere on here that this was like vanilla icing when you cold-steeped it. I tried it, and it didn’t work out. It tastes too medicinal, which is such a bummer. I guess I’ll have to stick to enjoying this one hot.

This tea is one of the guilty pleasures, the idea of adding ice cream (freeze dried or otherwise) just seems so wrong and yet it tastes so right! It’s just like drinking a hot mug of birthday cake, for better or for worse! The Rooibos is completely lost but one doesn’t sit down with a birthday cake tea actually looking for tea do they? It’s not something I could drink every day, but when that sugar craving hits and I have to have some sweet sin this hits the spot!

I try to lose weight but cake gets in the way! Problem solved! This is delicious and fun.

EDIT: Ok, so I had time to get over my initial excitement, and have a few more cups of this tea…II took my time and actually let myself taste it to the fullest. I can definitely understand why people love it, but after tasting Oh Canada, Birthday Cake and Creme Brulee, I can say that they all taste relatively the same. And that is just a big turn off. I thought the odd taste in the Birthday Cake tea was just a fluke, but it is also present in the other ones I listed above. A smoky, harsh flavor that irritates my throat. Must be the rooibos. I no longer care for this one for that reason.

I don’t know how I feel about this one. I added some splenda. I don’t know if I am tasting the splenda or the tea. There wasn’t anything special about it before the addition. I guess I am getting a little cake out of it. I have enough for another cup at some point. Does anyone have suggestions on how they usually prepare this to get the best taste?

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
keychange

apparently this tea is a miracle as a cold brew.

Kayla

Thanks! I don’t have enough to do the “double leaf over ice”. Is there any sort of leaf to water ratio to putting it in a jug in the fridge?

My room mate and I picked up a few teas at David’s this afternoon and this was first up on our to drink list and has been on my to buy list for about a month but I never seem to make it out to David’s Tea nearly as often as I’d like . They first brew I did of the tea was a bit on the week side. However after a second brew with more leaves and a longer steep time my opinion of it greatly improved. It was sweet and aromatic and tasted like creamy vanilla frosting. I have been disappointed recently with two of the vanilla teas I purchased but this was the right amount of sweet I was looking for. Not to mention it’s caffiene free status as a rooibos makes it an excellent treat before bed and the sprinkles make it fun even if they leave tye-dye splotches on the grating of my infuser.

Flavors: Cream, Vanilla