Birthday Cake

Honeybush Rooibos Blend
Cake, Creamy, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Butter, Cream, Maple, Rooibos, Caramel, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “Ok, so the tasting note for this is technically being posted AFTER my birthday has ended, but I did manage to squeak this cup in before the clock ticked midnight. Hooray! But yes, what better time...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2279 tasting notes
  • “This cooled quite a bit as I got distracted by Lupicia and other tea related things. Now I am sipping on this as I continue to watch Homeland. It is always a nice, pleasant cup. It is also one of...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2087 tasting notes
  • “Inspired by MissB, I made myself a giant mug of this. Topped with maple whipped cream, of course, since I have SO MUCH of it in my fridge. My apartment smells like candy, and the tea tastes so...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1626 tasting notes
  • “sipping this delicious little treat while catching up on paperwork and anticipating my birtday...which is Saturday...I'm not the kind of person to try to keep their birthday quiet. Anyway, such a...” Read full tasting note
    Jaxx2307 156 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Party like it’s your birthday

What’s the best thing about birthdays? It could be the presents, or spending time with loved ones, but let’s be honest. It’s all about the cake. With vanilla icing, and lots of sprinkles. And this sweet and festive rooibos blend brings the taste of birthday cake to your cup any day of the year – sprinkles and all. Best of all, not only is it low in calories, it also has all the goodness of rooibos. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

Ingredients: Red and green rooibos, honeybush, freeze-dried ice cream bits, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavoring*.

Allergens: Soy, dairy and eggs

About DAVIDsTEA View company

THIS TEA IS THE BEST TEA I HAVE EVER TASTED. SMELLS LIKE VANILLA PUDDING AND TASTES LIKE SPRINKLES

Flavors: Maple, Vanilla

I’m not a huge dessert tea person – but this is a good tea when you want something sweet. It tastes a lot like a vanilla cupcake and the sprinkles in the tea are adorable :) I don’t sweeten this tea and sometimes add milk. This is on my list to try as a latté!

Sometimes people with a tendency to commit great acts of derp should not be allowed in the kitchen. I was hit with the baking itch this evening and decided to try my hand at some bread, two quick breads and one crock pot bread. The first bread is a cheesy bread, I pulled it out of the oven and noticed it was awfully flat, after removing it from the pan and slicing it I noticed it was not a loaf of bread but a cheese flavored brick. Turns out I completely skimmed over the ‘baking powder’ line in the ingredients list, it tastes ok (a little sweet) but the texture is so dense. Luckily my almond poppy bread is delicious, and so far the crock pot bread is looking ok, but I am so sad about the cheese fail.

Today’s tea is Birthday Cake by DAVIDsTEA, a blend of Red and Green Rooibos, Honeybush, Sprinkles, Ice Cream Bits, and Natural and Artificial Flavoring. Tea that has sprinkles makes me happy, I mean how can it not? Sprinkles are awesome, I may have been guilty of eating more sprinkles than is necessarily healthy when I worked at an ice cream shop as a teenager. The aroma of this cake is intensely sweet! There are strong notes of cake batter, vanilla, and a hint of cocoa. Under this explosion of cake and sweetness is a really strong note of woodiness from the Rooibos and Honeybush, it is almost like sitting at a table and having a slice of cake with ice cream and sitting next to it is a cup of Rooibos tea.

Giving this cake themed tea a good steeping, the aroma of the wet leaves went from being mostly sweet and cake like to a more even blend of cake batter, ice cream and woodiness. The liquid is very woody! There are also notes of cake batter and honey, but mostly it is fairly dry wood.

Tasting time…perhaps I should have some birthday candles lit to commemorate the theme of the tea. The taste starts out very woody and dry, but also a little waxy from the sprinkles. After the initial woodiness the taste fades to vanilla liqueur and a touch of cake batter sweetness. I found the cake taste from the aroma of the dry leaves has mostly vanished, but what is left is not unpleasant. It is not a bad tea, but it is not one of my favorites.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/07/davidstea-birthday-cake-tea-review.html

crock pot bread… interesting..

Nicole

“commit great acts of derp”… that describes many of my kitchen adventures. :)

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Oh mine too, I am just so bad at cooking and only moderately skilled at baking. My friends and family who are excellent at it just tell me I need more practice…I am not sure it is just that!

Cue the music…. “I’ll give you a taste, make it like your birthday everyday”. I think those Katy Perry lyrics really depicts how this blend tastes, KIDDING! But let me tell you, I actually really like this blend a lot. It does taste like birthday cake, you can actually taste those little notes of cake batter and that makes it so much more festive and enjoyable to drink. It does taste very similar to the Red Velvet Cake actually, so it is a good caffeine-free alternative if you like that blend (Personally I love both of them). I didn’t buy this blend until this summer (which is quite odd because it’s Iced tea season for me now..) and I decided to be a little adventurous and try this iced. I was pleasantly surprised…in a good way…. because it tastes absolutely amazing! It definitely doesn’t have the birthday cake flavour when it is iced (presumably because of the dilution of the ice…duh?) but it does taste like sweet tea you get from the U.S (which I actually love so much) or if you are familiar with the big Arizona Iced tea cans, it tastes just like the sweet tea flavour. So good.

This tea is very similar to Oh Canada!, but sorry I like that one better! This one does not have that much flavor until you add sugar. It tastes a little to sweet and sugary for me, but is still a good dessert tea. I plan on finishing the bag I have at home, but will probably order a cup from the store before I repurchase more loose tea.

The wonderful Virginia sent this to me despite the fact that we both have an aversion to rooibos. I trust her so it was worth a try :-). I actually liked this a shocking amount considering it was rooibos. The birthday cake icing taste is spot on. The only thing that keeps this from being insanely good is the rooibos taste underneath. So woodsy :-/. It kind of tastes like someone ran out of flour while baking a birthday cake and made up the difference with sawdust.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Rooibos, Vanilla

2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Marzipan

That’s what I dislike about rooibos too. I wish I could get past the mulch taste.

albertocanfly

Yum! Cake and rooibos sounds like my cuppa! I couldn’t help but laugh at your description of the cake, though. I pictured some little, old grandma in the middle of the woods not wanting to hike all the way to the store and settling for sawdust instead:P

Cheri

This does sound like my cuppa as well. I enjoy a good dessert rooibos in the evening. I don’t have nearly enough of them. I also agree about the image of some gramma making a cake and after searching frantically for more flour just giving up and adding whatever she could find. giggle

Virginia

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG

That last sentence killed me. That’s a spot on description xD

mj

Haha that’s the only way I could think of to describe it. Now that albertocanfly brought it up, I’m completely picturing Little Red Riding Hood’s grandma making the sawdust cake.

This is the third tea I am trying from David’s Tea. And already a favorite!
It’s like a mix of vanilla and caramel. It’s definitely cake-y. I’m not the biggest fan of cake, but cake flavored teas will be the death of me, I tell you! I absolutely love this tea!
It’s similar to “Oh Canada!”, but not as sweet. Though, I might not have put enough tea in my steeper…But I still love it! Definitely going to buy more of it!
Thank you, Virginia, for this awesome sample! :D

Lariel of Lórien

It goes really well with Oh Canada, actually.

Ost

Oh, I’ll have to try that! Thanks! :D

A big ol thank you to VariaTEA for sending this tea my way!

Oh dessert teas. And it’s caffeine free as well! Ahh I love teas like this :)
This is dang good okay. It smells like a typical vanilla birthday cake dry, and the sweetness just carries over as it brews. The woodsy rooibos takes over a bit too much to my liking so the sweet birthday cake gets lost a bit, but it’s still totally fine.
But this is a lovely tea. Love love love all my rooibos at night :)

Boiling 8 min or more 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
VariaTEA

You should try coldbrewing this one if you haven’t already.

QueenOfTarts

This is one of my favorites! :)

Backlogging from last night. Wow, this is sweet! Has a very strong sugary/mapley smell. The taste is pretty close to the description: vanilla icing and sugar. Substituted this instead of some sorbet for dessert last night and it definitely quelled the sweet craving.

2 teaspoons and a little vanilla half and half.

I thought I read somewhere on here that this was like vanilla icing when you cold-steeped it. I tried it, and it didn’t work out. It tastes too medicinal, which is such a bummer. I guess I’ll have to stick to enjoying this one hot.