Birthday Cake

Honeybush Rooibos Blend
Green Rooibos, Honeybush, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Red Rooibos, Sprinkles
Cake, Sweet, Vanilla, Cream, Honey, Smooth, Almond, Rooibos, Coffee, Caramel, Anise, Butter, Butterscotch, Creamy, Cinnamon, Maple
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

Party like it’s your birthday

What’s the best thing about birthdays? It could be the presents, or spending time with loved ones, but let’s be honest. It’s all about the cake. With vanilla icing, and lots of sprinkles. And this sweet and festive rooibos blend brings the taste of birthday cake to your cup any day of the year – sprinkles and all. Best of all, not only is it low in calories, it also has all the goodness of rooibos. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

Ingredients: Red and green rooibos, honeybush, freeze-dried ice cream bits, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavoring*.

Allergens: Soy, dairy and eggs

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This was my first cup of the day because….there’s really no better day to tryallthebirthdayteas than on your birthday :) This being the first I tried, it was hard to compare it to others. All I knew was that it wasn’t nearly as sweet as I’d expected it would be. I also felt that it captured the buttercream taste quite well. So glad NayLynn sent me a sample of this to try!

Flavors: Butter, Cream

Happy birthday!

The Cookie Lady

Happy birthday! :)

I love the smell of this tea, it’s almost good enough to eat (in fact I may have snuck a sugar sprinkle or two). It’s not bad at all for a flavoured blend and I really get a strong vanilla cake-batter flavour. A bit artificial? Well yes, but lets be real I didn’t buy a tea called ‘Birthday Cake’ and filled with rainbow-coloured sprinkles so I could get the same nuanced experience as I would with a FTGFOP Darjeeling 1st flush. What this blend is is a fun, tasty tea that makes a good substitute for a calorie-laden dessert.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Flavors: Maple, Vanilla

I’m not a huge dessert tea person – but this is a good tea when you want something sweet. It tastes a lot like a vanilla cupcake and the sprinkles in the tea are adorable :) I don’t sweeten this tea and sometimes add milk. This is on my list to try as a latté!

Sometimes people with a tendency to commit great acts of derp should not be allowed in the kitchen. I was hit with the baking itch this evening and decided to try my hand at some bread, two quick breads and one crock pot bread. The first bread is a cheesy bread, I pulled it out of the oven and noticed it was awfully flat, after removing it from the pan and slicing it I noticed it was not a loaf of bread but a cheese flavored brick. Turns out I completely skimmed over the ‘baking powder’ line in the ingredients list, it tastes ok (a little sweet) but the texture is so dense. Luckily my almond poppy bread is delicious, and so far the crock pot bread is looking ok, but I am so sad about the cheese fail.

Today’s tea is Birthday Cake by DAVIDsTEA, a blend of Red and Green Rooibos, Honeybush, Sprinkles, Ice Cream Bits, and Natural and Artificial Flavoring. Tea that has sprinkles makes me happy, I mean how can it not? Sprinkles are awesome, I may have been guilty of eating more sprinkles than is necessarily healthy when I worked at an ice cream shop as a teenager. The aroma of this cake is intensely sweet! There are strong notes of cake batter, vanilla, and a hint of cocoa. Under this explosion of cake and sweetness is a really strong note of woodiness from the Rooibos and Honeybush, it is almost like sitting at a table and having a slice of cake with ice cream and sitting next to it is a cup of Rooibos tea.

Giving this cake themed tea a good steeping, the aroma of the wet leaves went from being mostly sweet and cake like to a more even blend of cake batter, ice cream and woodiness. The liquid is very woody! There are also notes of cake batter and honey, but mostly it is fairly dry wood.

Tasting time…perhaps I should have some birthday candles lit to commemorate the theme of the tea. The taste starts out very woody and dry, but also a little waxy from the sprinkles. After the initial woodiness the taste fades to vanilla liqueur and a touch of cake batter sweetness. I found the cake taste from the aroma of the dry leaves has mostly vanished, but what is left is not unpleasant. It is not a bad tea, but it is not one of my favorites.

For blog and photos:

crock pot bread… interesting..

“commit great acts of derp”… that describes many of my kitchen adventures. :)

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Oh mine too, I am just so bad at cooking and only moderately skilled at baking. My friends and family who are excellent at it just tell me I need more practice…I am not sure it is just that!

Cue the music…. “I’ll give you a taste, make it like your birthday everyday”. I think those Katy Perry lyrics really depicts how this blend tastes, KIDDING! But let me tell you, I actually really like this blend a lot. It does taste like birthday cake, you can actually taste those little notes of cake batter and that makes it so much more festive and enjoyable to drink. It does taste very similar to the Red Velvet Cake actually, so it is a good caffeine-free alternative if you like that blend (Personally I love both of them). I didn’t buy this blend until this summer (which is quite odd because it’s Iced tea season for me now..) and I decided to be a little adventurous and try this iced. I was pleasantly surprised…in a good way…. because it tastes absolutely amazing! It definitely doesn’t have the birthday cake flavour when it is iced (presumably because of the dilution of the ice…duh?) but it does taste like sweet tea you get from the U.S (which I actually love so much) or if you are familiar with the big Arizona Iced tea cans, it tastes just like the sweet tea flavour. So good.

This tea is very similar to Oh Canada!, but sorry I like that one better! This one does not have that much flavor until you add sugar. It tastes a little to sweet and sugary for me, but is still a good dessert tea. I plan on finishing the bag I have at home, but will probably order a cup from the store before I repurchase more loose tea.

The wonderful Virginia sent this to me despite the fact that we both have an aversion to rooibos. I trust her so it was worth a try :-). I actually liked this a shocking amount considering it was rooibos. The birthday cake icing taste is spot on. The only thing that keeps this from being insanely good is the rooibos taste underneath. So woodsy :-/. It kind of tastes like someone ran out of flour while baking a birthday cake and made up the difference with sawdust.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Rooibos, Vanilla

2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

That’s what I dislike about rooibos too. I wish I could get past the mulch taste.

Yum! Cake and rooibos sounds like my cuppa! I couldn’t help but laugh at your description of the cake, though. I pictured some little, old grandma in the middle of the woods not wanting to hike all the way to the store and settling for sawdust instead:P

This does sound like my cuppa as well. I enjoy a good dessert rooibos in the evening. I don’t have nearly enough of them. I also agree about the image of some gramma making a cake and after searching frantically for more flour just giving up and adding whatever she could find. giggle

That last sentence killed me. That’s a spot on description xD

Haha that’s the only way I could think of to describe it. Now that albertocanfly brought it up, I’m completely picturing Little Red Riding Hood’s grandma making the sawdust cake.

This tea never gets old. Just so freakin’ good! Ughh can’t get over how amazing it is! This was the perfect tea for my miserable morning. I say miserable morning but holy shanghai, so many good things happened today!

Such as:

And this!

Hopefully those images work. xD A couple more highlights have happened today but I’ll have to post on instagram about it tomorrow…er…later today since it’s 1am here. :O

That sloth is SUPER cute!!

Maddy Barone

Cute dresses too!

Put the dresses on the sloth and get super DUPER cute?
The dresses are pretty awesome.

Thanks, Thekesser and Maddy Barone!

Heh Dustin , maybe doll clothes! But even when people dress up their dogs in clothes it’s a bit creepy for my tastes. xD I feel a lil bad for some of them. xD

Love your haul! But glad your day turned around. And I agree about this tea. I need more of it in my life. :)

A big ol thank you to VariaTEA for sending this tea my way!

Oh dessert teas. And it’s caffeine free as well! Ahh I love teas like this :)
This is dang good okay. It smells like a typical vanilla birthday cake dry, and the sweetness just carries over as it brews. The woodsy rooibos takes over a bit too much to my liking so the sweet birthday cake gets lost a bit, but it’s still totally fine.
But this is a lovely tea. Love love love all my rooibos at night :)

Boiling 8 min or more 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

You should try coldbrewing this one if you haven’t already.

This is one of my favorites! :)