Birthday Cake

Honeybush Rooibos Blend
Butter, Cream, Maple, Vanilla, Rooibos, Caramel, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “Ok, so the tasting note for this is technically being posted AFTER my birthday has ended, but I did manage to squeak this cup in before the clock ticked midnight. Hooray! But yes, what better time...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2172 tasting notes
  • “This cooled quite a bit as I got distracted by Lupicia and other tea related things. Now I am sipping on this as I continue to watch Homeland. It is always a nice, pleasant cup. It is also one of...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2012 tasting notes
  • “Inspired by MissB, I made myself a giant mug of this. Topped with maple whipped cream, of course, since I have SO MUCH of it in my fridge. My apartment smells like candy, and the tea tastes so...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1573 tasting notes
  • “sipping this delicious little treat while catching up on paperwork and anticipating my birtday...which is Saturday...I'm not the kind of person to try to keep their birthday quiet. Anyway, such a...” Read full tasting note
    Jaxx2307 156 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Party like it’s your birthday

What’s the best thing about birthdays? It could be the presents, or spending time with loved ones, but let’s be honest. It’s all about the cake. With vanilla icing, and lots of sprinkles. And this sweet and festive rooibos blend brings the taste of birthday cake to your cup any day of the year – sprinkles and all. Best of all, not only is it low in calories, it also has all the goodness of rooibos. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

Ingredients: Red and green rooibos, honeybush, freeze-dried ice cream bits, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavoring*.

Allergens: Soy, dairy and eggs

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Dry Leaf Nose: A light cake aroma with notes of vanilla frosting.

Liquor: Rosy reddish-brown cup, with a light cake aroma and notes of vanilla frosting.

Flavour: Excellent cake flavour! The rooibos shows through well, mixing together with the other ingredients for a perfect sweetness.

KeenTeaThyme

Is there a red-rooibos-free variety? I get migraines from red rooibos teas, although so far, green rooibos is safe. Just curious!

DAVIDsTEA

Unfortunately, this is the only option for the time being but not the only cake tea that we’re launching this April.

Maria Eve

So excited for this tea words can’t describe! Love all things birthday cake flavoured!

Amariel

Oooh! This sounds good! Hopefully the rooibos isn’t too prevalent, since I am not overly fond of it.

Maria Eve

K..so really not that excited anymore…and kida disappointed! Went online today to purchase and saw the ingredients list:
Rooibos, honeybush, green rooibos, freeze-dried ice cream bits (Milkfat and nonfat milk, corn syrup, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, strawberry puree(strawberries, hight fructose corn syrup, sugar water, modified food starch, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, FD&C Red #40), whey, cocoa (processed with alkali) stablilized and emulsified by mono and diglycerides, guar gum, cellulose gum and carrageenan, articifical flavoring*, Red #40, and vegetable annatto color), sprinkles (Sugar, corn starch, partially hydrogenated veg. oil, soy lecithin, dextrin, confectioner’s glaze, natural/artificial flavoring*, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Carnauba wax, Yellow 5 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Red 3 and Red 40).
:( Your teas are normally much more natural…wish you could have made it with better ingredients! Unfourtunately won’t be buying this one!

Amariel

Ooh, hmmm. High fructose corn syrup is definitely to be avoided. Might have to give this one a pass based on this ingredient list.

katgolik

It does happen to be called BIRTHDAY CAKE so I’ll give it try regardless of the ingredients ..it’s an indulgence tea so it shouldn’t be a surprise that it’s an INDULGENCE of ingredients ..not bad to have one once in a while…moderation always though. and to each their own…cup of tea.

katgolik

It’s on my order list right now..can’t wait to try!

This tea is really cute to look at with those colourful sprinkles.
It smells really sweet, a little apprehensive about it being too sweet.
Colour: reddish brown
Taste: sweet but not too sweet. I get a liitle bit of cake flavour, but also butterscotch/vanilla. I guess it tastes a little like icing.
I certainly wouldn’t drink this every night, but nice to have something sweet when I really feel like having dessert.
This is certainly a more calorie-wise choice than real cake!

Finally got my hands on the cake teas! This is nice, though it doesn’t shout cake to me. It is very sweet (though I don’t have an issue with it being sickly-sweet like some other reviewers), and nicely creamy. I would have guessed it was a vanilla rooibos, and I can also see where others are getting maple. You probably could have told me this was the Oh Canada rooibos and, especially in my present sleepy state, I wouldn’t have questioned it.

It’s funny; when I take a couple-minute break and come back to my cup, I get BUTTERCREAM ICING at the very top of the very first sip. And then, bam, red rooibos. It’s sweet enough that I can tolerate the rooibos, but it has me wishing this were more honeybush or green rooibos-heavy than red rooibos. Very tasty vanilla rooibos is what I’m coming away with, basically.

Tina S.

That is totally describing what my thoughts on it were too. I’m glad I’m not going crazy!

Erin

I can’t wait to try this one!

Indigobloom

Buttercream, yes I can see that too!!

Angrboda

Okay, I give. What is up with the names? I’ve seen several people do that. Tina S further up in these very comments for example. What’s going on?

aisling of tea

It’s a Toronto Tea Party thing. All the mediocre kids are doing it ;)

Cattibrie

This is the only cake tea I haven’t tried yet. I haven’t been wowed by Chocolate Cake and Ice Cream Cake so I hope this one will be up my alley. Glad I only got 10g of each of them though.

So fundamentally…there is nothing wrong with this tea. But holy crap let’s talk about how sweet it is. My other half had half a sip and said basically ‘so that’s what cake in a blender would taste like." I was able to get through maybe 6 sips before the sugar overload killed me. I’m grateful to indigobloom for the sample to try, though i’m happy to cross this one off my list. If you like vanilla and buttercream…this is a great tea for you! Just not, for me :)

Helena

Yeah but sometimes you need the sweet overload, although I’m never buying it again because there are other teas that are better :D

pretty sure i never need THAT much sweet over load lol

Helena

LOL, never say never :D

was that me? I had no idea I still had that around LOL

Lol yeah that was the “here just take these! They need to be gone!”

Kittenna

Hahaha, drank my own of this tonight and looooooooved it!

Indigobloom

ah that makes sense now! Kittenna, if I ever end up inheriting more, it goes to you!!

Birthday cake tea, from Shmiracles!

Birthday cakes are a really big deal to me. I have super high standards for them. I am generally a health-nut, but when it’s time for cake, I don’t hold back. The thing is, if I’m going to stuff my self with something I’ll regret later, it better taste super damn good. I love a fluffy white cake with pastel confetti sprinkles and fluffy buttercream frosting. My current not-made-completely-from-scratch cake is Pillsbury Funfetti. It’s in a box, so I always ask someone to make it for me on my birthday.

This tea certainly isn’t Pillsbury perfection, but for a tea, it’s not half bad. I haven’t fancied too many rooibus blends, but I fancy even less all of the cake teas made with black tea (so far anyway, still searching for ‘the one’). As far as rooibos teas go, this is the best I’ve had. It will have to do for now, until I find my cake-tea soulmate. (^^)

ETA: speaking of that yummy cake. Not long after I logged this, my sister happened to bake me one for my ‘half-birthday’ (she was looking for an excuse to bake this cake for me). How awesome is she?

ICED. umm actually a bad idea. i won’t ever ice this again. i even had to re-strain it today cuz there was some strange residue in it. it was an experiment. i’ll drink what i have, but i really won’t ice this again.

i think i’m gonna take the sprinkles out of this tea next time i drink it.

seriously, birthday cake tea with 90% less sprinkles is 100% better. and still smells like cake!

CHAroma

Tea is about adventures! You’d never know unless you tried it, and now others can benefit from your experimenting. ;)

DaisyChubb

I coldbrew this one so the sprinkles don’t melt! :3

Kittenna

I am not a fan of sprinkles in tea. They’re icky. (Actually, I don’t like sprinkles period.)

Whew, it’s been a few months since I last had this one. I wasn’t blown away by it early on (it was my first red rooibos and I wasn’t sure about it), but I can enjoy it now. It’s good, but I can’t say I’d buy it again.

This is a funny tea, it smells delicious but not really all that much like cake or frosting. Definitely more mapley. It smells sticky rather than gooey and cakey (okay, this is the most nonsensical description ever written). It’s super SUPER sweet smelling, and even a tiny bit of sugar added amps up that sweetness to 1000%. If you add sugar, the only flavours there are sugar and rooibos. Still not sure that I like rooibos, but I don’t dislike it as much as I did the first time I tried it.

TL;DR version: It smells delicious, but has much less flavour than you’d think. Tastes pleasant but not like cake particularly.

Meowkattack

Good to know! I am always tempted to order this one, being a big fan of cake flavor teas, but red rooibos isn’t a favorite of mine. Good to know it isn’t an exceptional tea that I am missing out on.

PatchworkSheep

I’d recommend trying it if you can get your hands on a sample, but I wouldn’t recommend a full bag, especially if you aren’t a big fan of red rooibos. Cake/dessert teas are my favourite too.

Okay birthday cake, you’re up next in the taste testing evening extraordinaire of decaf teas of (hopeful) deliciousness.

So, I get why people think this smells like maple syrup. Having grown up surrounded by the stuff, I’d say this smells more like pancake syrup with some maple flavor added to it, Aunt Jemimma style. Steeped it smells pretty much the same.

I’m surprised by the taste of this tea. It tastes.. a bit buttery, a tiny bit maple-y at the end of the sip, and that’s really it. I decided to add some Truvia because, well, I thought it would add some complexity. Thankfully, it did. I can taste more of the icing-like flavor now, and the maple tastes real and ripe. It’s still lacking for me though. Zero cake, and zero… I dunno. Depth?

Maybe I steeped it wrong (followed the package instructions) and I know I leafed it perfectly. I’ll try again with the few tsp I have left, however I doubt I’ll ever buy this again.

VariaTEA

This tea tends to be pretty weak in the flavor department so it is probably not your brewing that caused you to find it lacking. Personally I dont mind this tea in the evening because I think I just really like the smell of it. It’s not a bad latte – that helps bring out the creaminess and some sweetness

OMGsrsly

Definitely pancake syrup, not real maple syrup. :) I might have a cup now, though.

MissB

The more I drink it, the more of the pancake syrup-y smell comes out, and the more I think… overbuttered popcorn? Or maybe even caramel corn. It’s like there’s that same feeling on my lips. I kinda like it considering I’ve gone grain-free in the past few months. I’ll definitely try it as a latte, or maybe a latte smoothie?

MissB

It does smell divine though.. I could easily have my house smell like this all winter.

OMGsrsly

Try a tiny tiny pinch of salt in it, wow. Just a few grains.

OHHH i got this for my husband but I think im going to Enjoy it hahahaha, This tea i dont see as a cake but more like a caramel cake :) but its GOOOOOOD!!!!!!! :) I this is one in my permanent stock!!

Bonnie

Quick, hide it…he’s coming down the hall!

KeenTeaThyme

Is it my fault you taste the caramel now? ;)

Sare

hahaha NA i smelled it when we opened the bag! :)

I ventured out to DT earlier today to buy the Mist iced tea jug I saw online, but unfortunately, it was nowhere in sight. I’m going through withdrawal not being able to prepare iced tea here.

But since I was there, I thought I’d grab a couple 10g pouches of stuff for my cold, and this just for fun. I normally don’t care for rooibos or honeybush, but wow, this seriously smells like those maple sandwich cookies. Like the rooibos was marinated in gooey maple icing.

The steeped tea smells like that too, and guess what? The rooibos base is behaving. Not too woody or heavy, and the maple really blends well into it.

I would seriously repurchase this, and that says a lot. I love how my empty mug still smells like maple icing. Yeah, all gone already. Off to make another cup.

Lynne-tea

I love this one! I left a cup for the night after drinking this before bed and my whole room smelled like maple! I wanted to make another cup as soon as I woke up haha

Fjellrev

Yeah, this one is such a surprise! My 14g went fast haha.