Birthday Cake

Honeybush Rooibos Blend
Maple, Vanilla, Butter, Cream, Rooibos, Caramel, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “Ok, so the tasting note for this is technically being posted AFTER my birthday has ended, but I did manage to squeak this cup in before the clock ticked midnight. Hooray! But yes, what better time...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1811 tasting notes
  • “This cooled quite a bit as I got distracted by Lupicia and other tea related things. Now I am sipping on this as I continue to watch Homeland. It is always a nice, pleasant cup. It is also one of...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1879 tasting notes
  • “Inspired by MissB, I made myself a giant mug of this. Topped with maple whipped cream, of course, since I have SO MUCH of it in my fridge. My apartment smells like candy, and the tea tastes so...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1424 tasting notes
  • “sipping this delicious little treat while catching up on paperwork and anticipating my birtday...which is Saturday...I'm not the kind of person to try to keep their birthday quiet. Anyway, such a...” Read full tasting note
    Jaxx2307 156 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Party like it’s your birthday

What’s the best thing about birthdays? It could be the presents, or spending time with loved ones, but let’s be honest. It’s all about the cake. With vanilla icing, and lots of sprinkles. And this sweet and festive rooibos blend brings the taste of birthday cake to your cup any day of the year – sprinkles and all. Best of all, not only is it low in calories, it also has all the goodness of rooibos. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

Ingredients: Red and green rooibos, honeybush, freeze-dried ice cream bits, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavoring*.

Allergens: Soy, dairy and eggs

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Tomorrow (Valentine’s day) marks the one year anniversary of me owning Java (Ceylon Star). Because I don’t know his actual birthday, I’m going to treat our anniversary as his birthday, so to celebrate, I’m making him a “birthday cake” mash out of a LOT of Birthday Cake rooibos, rolled oats, alfalfa pellets, “fibre max” (a horse feed comprised of beet pulp and soy hull pellets, which are then soaked before feeding to prevent choke), a little bit of sweet COB (molasses coated Corn/Oats/Barley), applesauce, and banana chips.

Happy Anniversary PonyPants! <3

Fjellrev

Happy anniversary! Btw, didn’t know you lived here too.

I like how I wrote this note under the wrong tea! Shows how tired I am… I am surprised at the random samples I find lurking in my cupboard sometimes. I am more surprised that I haven’t tried this tea yet! Since I still have work ahead of me, I thought I would make a cup.

The dry scent is sweet with a hint of vanilla. Brewing, it smells delicious. I took this with a bit of cream and sweetener and it is fabulous! It really does remind me of a yellow sheet cake with vanilla buttercream. I am trying to make this cup last while writing my essay, but I’m not sure if that will happen.

The only thing that made me think twice about making this tea was the amount of sugar compared to other teas. While the sugar content is still low, I am really strict about how much I consume. I’m sure I’m just being overly cautious; it’s not like I’m eating a piece of cake! Though that reminds me that I cannot wait to try out some new recipes for the upcoming holiday! My heavy school schedule prevents me from baking at the moment.

Anyhow, back to the essay before the power goes out!

Yum! The dry tea smells so sweet. Close your eyes and you’d be convinced you were about to bite into a delicious birthday cake, complete with tons of vanilla icing. This one, just like the Ice Cream Cake, has sprinkles in it. It’s important to note that this tea is extremely fine. The first time I made it I used my pincer, which let out about half my tea. Needless to say, straining the tea afterwards wasn’t the most pleasant experience.

Just as I’m about to take a sip, I notice the nice, light smell of vanilla. Maybe even maple? This one, although it has sprinkles and ice cream bits just like the Ice Cream Cake, doesn’t have a layer of residue on the top of the tea. The tea tastes great; I feel like there are hints of maple and caramel. I was expecting more icing, but I’m tasting a lot of cake batter. Definitely not a bad thing since birthday cake batter is always delicious. This tea is creamy as well, but not as sweet as the Ice Cream Cake.

After my great experience with adding milk to Ice Cream Cake, I know I need to try this one with milk too… And again, it’s a nice touch. The tea’s creamier, which goes well with the taste of cake batter. Unfortunately, I think I might have added too much milk as it’s distracting from some of the flavours I initially noted and enjoyed.

This tea smells like a birthday cake and tastes like a birthday cake with maple syrup poured over it. I’ve had some bad experiences with rooibos in the past, but this has definitely changed my opinion of it!

I’ve been skeptical in the extreme of all these ‘artificial’, sweet teas Davids Tea’s been bringing out this spring – jellybeans here, sprinkles there, chocolate over here – what about a new fruity black blend, please?

But I think, after sipping my way through 15g of this, that it’s a winner. This is what I thought Buttercream would taste like – mapley, caramelly red rooibos. I brew for 5 minutes at boiling and it’s very sweet, so I don’t think I would reach for it often, but it would be great for those days when you’re trying to avoid dessert but still want something sugary to round off the meal. On certain sips it’s reminiscent of Creme Brulee, although I think that’s a superior tea.

Stephanie B

Aww, thanks! Oooh, it’s definitely worth a try – and really affordable compared some to the heavier teas I’ve been sipping on recently (cough, cough Gold Rush).

i have been reaching for this after work a lot in the last week. it’s delicious straight and with a bit of agave totally satisfies my sweet tooth.

Sweet Canadian

This is my fav afternoon blend, I love having it in a latte.

Yum yum. I’ve had this both iced and hot and it’s delicious either way. I don’t know what else to say about it other than that it’s like a creamy vanilla cake with hints of fruitiness. Oh, and of course the sprinkles, love, love, love the sprinkles. :)

I also ordered some of this for my mom for her birthday, couldn’t resist.

I was far too excited to try this tea. It didn’t meet my expectation but it was still delicious none the less. The dry leaf smell is so deceiving! It smells sickeningly sweet. When I brought it home from the shop and opened up the tin for the first time the entire downstairs of the house smelled like birthday cake. I didn’t really think this tea was going to need a lot if any sugar at all. Brewed, I’m not even sure how to describe this tea. The sprinkles add a texture and taste I cannot identify. It’s almost oily, but not quite. Like those little Christmas tree cakes Gram used to buy me as a kid. It has the eggy cake batter taste and you definitely get the vanilla. Overall, a great tea, just needs a tsp. of sugar :)

I absolutely love this tea. I think this is the tea in my cupboard that I drink the most of. The smell of it alone is enough for me to love it! I am a rooibos fan and this blend is perfect. It’s like cake batter! Or a cupcake! Plus anything with cute little sprinkles is a win for me! And it’s my birthday so I’m drinking this tea ALL DAY! Woo!

CHAroma

Happy Belated Birthday!

So let me preface this review by saying that I don’t like cake. Correction: I don’t like the TEXTURE of cake. Throughout my childhood I spent countless parties scraping the frosting off the cake and discarding the rest. It’s not that I disliked how it tasted; in fact, I loved it! Especially vanilla cake… but I couldn’t get past the texture, and I still can’t today. Not I finally have the best of both worlds. I have cake in a cup. Not just cake, but vanilla cake with caramel and maple frosting. With sprinkles on top. Let’s just say I’m a BIG fan. It’s sweet, it’s bold, it’s creamy and delicious. It’s caffeine-free to boot so I can have my delicious dessert before going to bed. :) Happy, happy day!

It seemed like just the other day that I ordered 50g of this tea.. and I am nearly out! I will have to reorder some of this… it’s very yummy. This tea is not very consistent in the cake tones. There are some moments when I get a lovely flavor of cake.. specifically yellow cake (buttery, sweet, rich — my favorite!) and other times when I just taste maple syrup. Oh Canada from DavidsTea was not very enjoyable and this tea is, at times, almost too close to that one! It won’t stop me from ordering more.. I love dessert rooibos blends & think that this is a solid choice to have in the cupboard. I only wish there was more cake and less of a strong maple flavor!