Birthday Cake

Honeybush Rooibos Blend
Maple, Vanilla, Butter, Cream, Rooibos, Caramel, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “Ok, so the tasting note for this is technically being posted AFTER my birthday has ended, but I did manage to squeak this cup in before the clock ticked midnight. Hooray! But yes, what better time...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1945 tasting notes
  • “This cooled quite a bit as I got distracted by Lupicia and other tea related things. Now I am sipping on this as I continue to watch Homeland. It is always a nice, pleasant cup. It is also one of...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1932 tasting notes
  • “Inspired by MissB, I made myself a giant mug of this. Topped with maple whipped cream, of course, since I have SO MUCH of it in my fridge. My apartment smells like candy, and the tea tastes so...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1472 tasting notes
  • “sipping this delicious little treat while catching up on paperwork and anticipating my birtday...which is Saturday...I'm not the kind of person to try to keep their birthday quiet. Anyway, such a...” Read full tasting note
    Jaxx2307 156 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Party like it’s your birthday

What’s the best thing about birthdays? It could be the presents, or spending time with loved ones, but let’s be honest. It’s all about the cake. With vanilla icing, and lots of sprinkles. And this sweet and festive rooibos blend brings the taste of birthday cake to your cup any day of the year – sprinkles and all. Best of all, not only is it low in calories, it also has all the goodness of rooibos. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

Ingredients: Red and green rooibos, honeybush, freeze-dried ice cream bits, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavoring*.

Allergens: Soy, dairy and eggs

About DAVIDsTEA View company

On my recent visit to Davids Tea, I had no intention of buying tea for myself. The goal was to buy a tin of Jolly Jellybean for my sister-in-law and get out before I succumbed to temptation. After all, I just got a double shipment of tea from 52teas 6 days ago. Like all well-laid plans, this one went out the window once I smelled the new spring teas! I left the store with 2 tins of Jolly Jellybean, a bag of Birthday Cake, a bag of Coffee Pu’erh and a bag of Oh Canada.

The dry scent of Birthday Cake reminds me of the grocery store slab cakes of my childhood. So does the scent after steeping. I like sweet teas, but even this one had me a little nervous.

I drank the first half mug straight up. Nice. You can definitely tell it’s a rooibos tea, but I wasn’t getting the birthday cake taste. So the second half that I’m drinking right now has a half teaspoon of sugar and a splash of milk. There’s the cake! It’s like creamy icing and moist cake. This will be a great way to satisfy my sweet tooth when I want dessert after dinner. (This is the second time this week that I’ve had a “baked treat” type tea. I’ve got to find a few more like this!)

Well, this is the first of my samples from MissB that I haven’t liked. And apparently this is just not my tea day… I had to pour out 2 teas in a row! To me this one smelled a lot like maple syrup, and tasted like it a little too. It felt like it left a coating on my tongue, and my tongue got sort of numb/tingly feeling? Not good. I could only make it 1/2 way through my cup… seemed like each sip tasted worse than the one before.

MissB

Yea, I wasn’t a fan of this one either. Do you have issues with red rooibos?

Sarah

I went back through my tealog and it looks like the only other one I’ve had with red rooibos is Teavana’s White Chocolate Peppermint, but I’ve had plenty of that one with no problems, so I’m guessing it has something to do with the flavorings? A couple years ago I suddenly developed a reaction to anything strawberry (made my tongue swell) but I’ve successfully had strawberries since then so I don’t know… maybe it’s artificial strawberry that causes it? Though I don’t know if this one even has strawberry, the ingredients aren’t clear.

MissB

DAVIDs are really bad for proper ingredient listings. I’ve got a moderately bad strawberry allergy, and a problem with all grains, so I understand completely.

Revisited this favourite of mine this morning. I always forget to grab this rooibos, but it really is wonderful. It is sweet, like a cake and nice and light. With a bit of sugar, it is like a liquid cupcake! The rooibos in this is not too strong, though you can taste it as a base. I don’t mind the taste of rooibos, so it is an alright base in my world, but it is strong enough to be noticeable.

Hands down, my favorite tea so far. Who can resist fun, colorful sprinkles mixed in with their rooibos?

Finn88

This one is good! Reminds me of Oh Canada with the little candy looking Maple leaves. Don’t like the taste of Oh Canada so much though.

I can’t seem to pinpoint why I didn’t like this one. It certainly lived up to its name – it tasted like creamy sugary vanilla sprinkle cake, even down to the slight burnt little crusty bits that get stuck in the pan. It wasn’t overly sweet, but every sip left me feeling like I had just snorted straight cake mix. Unpleasant.

This smells amazing, but doesn’t have quite the amount of flavor that you can smell. It’s a really nice, interesting tea that I received from Roswell Strange and I think I’m going to have to order myself some!

My 11yr son and I are drinking this as a latte while watching Aladdin. He chooses this tea 3-4 days out of the week when asked. I don’t normally like rooibos but I thought this would be a fun one to drink with him at the end of the day and it is. I even had him make it as I told him what to do in hopes that he will someday start my tea before I get out of bed. We enjoy it and someday I will try and describe it better.

Bon a fete a toi? Bon a fete a moi?

This was purchased in my first Davids Tea order I ever got last year. I ventured to them because the Urban Tea Merchant closed down in West Vancouver and at the time venturing DT didn’t seem as viable. I’m a sucker for cake teas, well really this should read: I’m a sucker for cake. Something about a drink being able to mimic the dessert without all the calories and a fraction of the sugar seems so desirable to me.

At first sniff: This tea is potent. I remember when I first ordered it, my boyfriend was in the other room and came into the kitchen and when “Whoa!” because he could smell it. It smells extremely sweet and upon further investigation as the same smell as Red Velvet Cake and Oh Canada. I think it’s the “fake” perfume they use to scent the tea. I’m not a fan of the sprinkles in it. I know they’re more for fun, but I’d rather leave the “stuff” out of it. They don’t really add anything to it.

At first steep: It’s a rich golden red colour (typical rooibus) and I am also getting that very peculiar film on my cup that others have mentioned. I chalk that up to the artificial that’s in it. When I taste it, it starts off with a fake sweet taste (kind of like when I accidentally put sucralose or aspartame in my tea at a restaurant) and then rounds off with light notes of rooibus with a little licorice taste. All in all, it’s not my favourite. I have added milk and sugar to it and it was again okay. I tend to take rooibus straight though and forgo the calories. Would I buy it again? Probably not. I have about 50g left of it and it’s been sitting in the cupboard for a while.

For smelling purposes it does deliver, but the rest is a bit of a let down.

This was the second tea I had tried from DAVIDs. A friend of mine made me up a little sampler pack of their teas after I’d tried Forever Nuts at her house about a month ago. I went through my sampler bag and chose this one to try first as I have quite a sweet tooth and generally gravitate toward anything with frosting and/or sprinkles.

I adore the smell of this tea. It smells just like pound cake and vanilla frosting. To be truthful, I didn’t think this tea would taste good. I really expected it to have a very artificial flavor. WRONG! I was shocked by this tea’s taste…I had never experienced a tea that tasted like this before or that was so true to its name. All in all, I think this is my favorite tea.

Wow, I made Indian food for dinner tonight, but it’s this tea that has filled my house with a delicious aroma. The sprinkles that were in the dry blend melted away in my cup, as did the freeze dried ice cream. This really does smell like birthday cake, and if tasting is so much about our sense of smell, it’s no wonder I feel like I am drinking a not-too-sweet version of birthday cake.

Totally impressed.

On my first steeping of this I went for a full 7 minutes to get the strongest flavor, and I’m drinking it with no additions to get the best sense of how cake-y it really is.

The only down side is that it leaves a sort of cloying feeling in my mouth. Shmeck. Shmeck.

I’m trying David’s teas for the first time this week, and I am already irritated that I live in stupid Houston, and we have no David’s stores here. This is probably my new favorite dessert tea.