Ice Cream Cake

Artificial Flavouring, Black Tea, Natural Flavours, Roasted Carob, Sprinkles, Vanilla, White Chocolate
Cake, Candy, Cocoa, Honey, Artificial
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Perry Papadopoulos

• “Basically this tea makes me want to smash keys at random because I lose the ability to do anything else after taking a sip. OH. MY. GAAAAAAAAH. It’s so creamy and I...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1220 tasting notes
  • “I really want to eat some ice cream right now. So, what am I going to do? Drink ice cream cake tea! The dry leaves smell really weird. Like something sweet but in an artificial, chemically way. ...” Read full tasting note
    CHAroma 631 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! Yeeaaahhh! It’s been too many tea-less days for me. Still not 100%, but throat is no longer rejecting tea, and I can, at least for now, still taste. Woo! So since this was the bottom...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 3065 tasting notes
  • “The beau has been dying to brew some of this up, so I figured we’d give it a go. The first thing I noticed was a lot of “scum” on the top, likely from the chocolate, sprinkles and...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 709 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Let them drink tea

Does life get any better than chocolate cake? Well…what about chocolate ice cream cake? It’s basically the king of desserts – rich, sweet and creamy. And with this decadent black tea blend, your favourite indulgence is just a sip away. It has everything you want in a dessert: white chocolate vanilla, carob, sprinkles, and little pieces of freeze-dried ice cream. Try it with a dollop of whipped cream. And a cherry on top.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Meh. Not a fan. I got a strong stevia aftertaste that I couldn’t get past.

Flavors: Artificial

Cold Brew!

Why did I buy this tea? I got 50g of it online in a bit of an impulse purchase, and now that I’m thinking about it I can’t recall why. I mean, I don’t like DT’s Birthday Cake or Red Velvet Cake blends all that much, and this is pretty much a carbon copy of that but with ice cream in it. What am I saying, I totally know why I bought it. It was the ice cream…

I mean, it’s not bad. It’s sweet, and has creamy ice cream like top notes and a cakey kind of body flavour. Lots of chocolate notes, a little fudgey, even? It does build up quickly, and become cloying quite fast though. Also, a major point of concern is that the after taste is really, really artificial. And I mean, that shouldn’t be a surprise with a blend called Ice Cream Cake but it is unpleasant.

Yeah, this one pretty much does what it set out to do but I’m not loving it for it. My bad for getting suckered into making an impulse buy. It happens to the best of us, though.

Mookit

I can feel your pain. Sometimes you get them, and other times the tea gets you.

Kristal

Impulse buys do happen! Maybe use this one up as lattes?

VariaTEA

I impulse bought the cupcake containers of this and jolly jellybean which is 100g each. I was planning on sharing but it sounds like you dont need anymore :P

Roswell Strange

I almost went for Jolly Jellybean; however I’ve had it before and as far as I can recall I wasn’t super impressed. I wonder if they only sold it online/in prepackaged containers this year to avoid the fiasco they had when employees kept eating the jelly beans out of the wall tins? :P

So I ordered a tea book off of abebooks yesterday, went to check my email for the confirmation, and learned that my grandma found an interesting book on tea and would be sending it along. So… double the tea books. I’ve got way too many books.

That’s my preface.

This was kind of a gift! Some people are just kinda the damned sweetest. I wanted to try this and the chocolate cake one, because I’ve noticed lately that Davidsteas have been getting bogged down with a lot of “stuff” (one of the gripes I often have with Teavana), and this one didn’t look too bad.

UNfortunately, this reminds me strongly of Teavana’s S’mores. Because half the stuff I thought was tea was actually roasted carob. Again. Can we please cut this the hell out. The reason I like Chocolate Chili Chai and Red Velvet Cake is because they don’t contain carob, and do absolutely fine in their cakey chocolately taste without it.

So yeah, unfortunately this tastes more like carob than black tea, with a hint of waxyness—I think from what I can assume are white chocolate curls. The tea’s very cloudy, much like S’mores was. Smooth creamyness, maybe from the cloudy particles, might be the vanilla flavouring although there’s nothing that tastes straight up ‘vanilla’.

Sucks because it DOES smell good dry, but brewed it’s all carob chocolate instead of vanilla. It’s still nice and inoffensive, though I feel bad about not loving it since it WAS kinda a gift.

Christina / BooksandTea

What books are you getting?

AJ

Tea Enthusiast’s Handbook (Heiss)
New Tea Lover’s Treasury (Pratt)

sigh I really wanted to love this tea :( I bought it during its Easter 2016 comeback but I should have bought the chocolate cake tea instead. When you open the bag it smells delicious and reminds you of ice cream cake but once steeped it smells nothing like it did and it tastes disgusting. The stevia that is added makes the tea taste horrible, way to sweet…I cannot even explain it….just disgusting.

It’s hilarious that I’m reviewing this now, because I’m pretty sure it’s been at least two years (perhaps 3) since DT stopped making it. So you’ve correctly deduced that I’m currently drinking some old-ass tea!

I had fallen in love with this back when I first discovered the exciting new world of dessert teas, when DT opened in my city. I thought this was amazing. I was seriously pissed when they discontinued this one and the chocolate cake tea in favor of keeping birthday cake. Birthday Cake, the nasty rooibos tea that I couldn’t get past….I haven’t had it in years, but that was my opinion then.

So, I’ve been hoarding my small packet of this ever since, my precioussssssssss! Hoarding, but not actually drinking, which I realize now is stupid. The tea gets worse with age, not better. I can’t honestly tell you that age has ruined what I have left of this, it’s been sealed in its zippy bag all this time…. But I also can’t tell you that I’m enjoying this cup. ‘Cause I’m not.

Why would anyone think that ice cream cake would make a good tea flavor? How can you ever replicate that?! No wonder they stopped making it. It’s like drinking liquid chemicals, which I imagine that’s mostly what it is anyway. I would not be surprised if the deliciousness has faded with time, but I suspect this is more or less the perfect nutshell example of how far my tea tastes have come in the last few years.

Also a lesson that hoarding tea is pointless, how can you enjoy it if you don’t drink it? Then you try, but it’s old and disappointing.

I can taste a suggestion of ice cream cake, but honestly man, if I want ice cream or ice cream cake, there’s no way I’m going to pretend to talk myself into thinking a cup of fake flavored tea would take care of the craving.
I even put some milk in this to add some creaminess. It’s not terrible, but I don’t even feel compelled to keep my last little bit. There are way better teas to drink!

I’ve got about enough of this left for 2 cups I think, so if any dessert tea fans out there are curious and just want to try this for fun, it’s yours! Just let me know!

Goodbye, ice cream cake tea. You represent everything I used to love. When I was young and innocent.

Courtney

I’m so bad with hoarding, even though I know I shouldn’t. I want to save teas for bad days haha.

TheKesser

Yeah I’m really bad for the hoarding too. I’ve got a few teas that are easily 3+ years old including this one and the Chocolate cake. I’m so scared to drink a few of them ‘cause I know I’ll never get them again and I can’t bring myself to say goodbye. haha And there’s a few that I can’t stomach so they sit in there until I either give them away or decide I’m okay to toss them. I’ve had to throw out a lot in the past ‘cause I knew they just weren’t going anywhere…

whatshesaid

I’m trying to go through my stash now and either drink or give away or toss everything I’ve been clinging to…no point keeping it!

greenteafairy

Another tea hoarder here… I know I should drink up my discontinued favorites, but I have an incredibly hard time going through with it.

TheKesser

whatshesaid since reading your mention about going through your stash, I think you’ve inspired me to do the same. I have a few off the top of my head I know I can get rid of and not even miss.
greenteafairy I feel the EXACT same way.

whatshesaid

Yeah it’s a good time of the year to “Spring clean” your tea stash!!

Courtney

I actually just steeped up the last cup of a discontinued tea I’ve been hoarding. Thanks for the nudge whatshesaid.

whatshesaid

If we don’t do it, they’ll just sit there, sadly stagnating forever in our cupboards

I’m holding on to my very last bit of this tea! It is rich, creamy and oh so delicious! As much as I’m not the biggest fan of it by itself it is decadent as a iced soy latte! It honestly doesn’t get any better, it actually tastes like ice cream cake! The smell of this tea is the only thing that really turns me off, it smells pretty chemically but the taste is nothing like that! I am actually scared for when I run out, I will for sure savour my last 50 grams!

Really wanted to love it but it’s a bit crap this one.

Doesn’t taste much like Ice Cream at all and the White Chocolate bits melt at a high temp then solidify very quickly leaving your pot a right mess.

Avoid imho.

This tea is one of my favorites. Very disappointed to see it discontinued. Please bring back!

My favourite of the 3 cake inspired teas (the other 2 being Birthday Cake & Chocolate Cake) that came out around the Spring of 2012. It’s decidedly the sweetest of the 3, but not tooth-achingly so (but I’m a fatty and I like pie, so your mileage on that may vary). Rather similar to Birthday Cake, but this one has caffeine where Birthday Cake does not. Alas, as I am sensitive to caffeine.

Out of all of the ‘cake collection’ this was my favorite. Unfortunately, I made myself a bit sick of it as it is a sweeter, heavier tea, and it came out when it was cold outside, so I was drinking a lot of it hot. It is really good, but doesn’t taste that much like ice cream cake!